Drug Testing Debate Fraught With Legal, Moral Questions | Flathead Beacon

There are 8 comments on the www.flatheadbeacon.com story from Apr 30, 2008, titled Drug Testing Debate Fraught With Legal, Moral Questions | Flathead Beacon. In it, www.flatheadbeacon.com reports that:

Students crowd the hallway of Whitefish High School between classes. - File Photo by Lido Vizzutti WHITEFISH - It's hard to say just how many parents here oppose the school's push toward implementing random ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.flatheadbeacon.com.

Since: Mar 08

Kalispell, MT

#1 May 4, 2008
This story is getting a lot of attention at the local newspapers. Commmentary seems to prefer we ignore the problem until a "constitutional" method of dealing with it is found.
Since TOPIX reaches a nationwide crowd, maybe someone out there knows of an effective way to solve this problem. Please speak up, ideas are needed.

“Which way to Stergis????”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 May 4, 2008
We, need to start testing the Adults then work our way down from there.Kids, young adults learn from their parents.
Try, testing the people that work at these so called tribal jobs.They are always given a warning before it happens.
Then?You end up taking a bunch of drunks and people that use.. out on fires.
Take a bunch of them out hung over one time.That should have sent a message to someone.But, if, you report it?You are the outcast.
People help their friends and families out on this stuff, so until you have a fail safe proceedure then??
And, why don't those women that go out on jobs ever tell some one that they are pregnant?They should for all the sake of the cost of these test be tested before they leave on a fire or the empolyees tested before they go someplace.When, they find out they are not getting away with something, then and only then will you start to see some kind of decline of the use of these drugs.And, if found to be under the influence of these drugs???Make them pay for the tests.When, you start attacking their wallets, you'll see a different person to start to emerge.When, it cost them their fun money, maybe then they will take you serious.
EYE 4 A EYE

Hall, MT

#3 May 4, 2008
I dare you all to demand that all teachers,coaches,administratio n,even the kids working sellin soda's and dogs,test everyone on school property.Test for one month at random tests and I can and will promise you,you'd have no need to test anyone because no one left to run a school.Period.I wouldn't piss for no one reguardless and we'll see how many athaletes go somewhere else to go to school,play ball,etc.Will there be tests for cig smoking,drinkin Bud beer ot Jack Danials,snortin Oxyes,staroids,poweraid,etcetc .Why don't we just home teach our children? We just might have to.I say: Go Pee on yourself.....
Steeler Fan

Polson, MT

#4 May 5, 2008
Gungafin, you are crazy, I fought fires for 12 years, eight with an all-white, excluding three of us and we were the only sober ones of the bunch. My tribal job, tests before hire and we have random. There is no warning either, you get written up and counseling and if you don't follow these then you lose your job. Quit being so ignorant and do something other than fight fires, get an education. Not saying tribal crews are any better my four years fighting with tribal was nice and i learned a lot, but there were a few crews that had their problems, but don't view us all the same, because we are not. Because if we all did that I could call you guys all kinds of stereotypes that i'm sure don't fit you all and Native Americans have some of them, just like you guys have a bunch of drunk ass hippies and so forth. So smarten up and try to make the world a better place and no be so bitter!

“Greetings from the Twin Cities”

Since: Apr 07

Bloomington, MN

#5 May 5, 2008
Drug tests are inherently full of shit. The people who are most often busted due to drug tests are pot smokers. Pot smokers have no more adverse effect on society than those who smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. So long as it is used responsibly (not going to work stoned), there is little to no negative ramifications.
The people who really need "help" are those addicted to the hard drugs. These drugs tend to be out of your system in 48-72 hours.
People today are too quick to lump everyone who tests positive (regardless of the substance) into a single group.
It is widely accepted globally that pot users and hard drug users are not in the same class....

“Remember the fifth of november”

Since: May 08

All over the place

#6 May 9, 2008
People dont seem to have a reasonable solution to the problem. South America legalized everything, and there are no serious drug problems.

The Pharmaceutical companies, alcohol, and tobacco companies are all why illegal drugs are illegal. Its hypocracy at its finest. Most people dont want to bother to research why the drugs are criminalized, they just want the drugs gone, out of sight, out of mind. That wont happen, and if people shut thier eyes, alcohol and tobacco might just become criminalized too.
AlBert

Bronx, NY

#7 Mar 9, 2010
well my job recently put it this way. We need ur urine and don't worry if you had any poppy seed bagels. I'm wondering that once I give in my urine then they will punish me for it. Are jobs allowed to fool you? If I get fired for thc in my system, are they in the wrong for not announcing that this is a drug test? Either way I quit smoking. Please help! I can't find no info on this anywhere.
jaydee

Doylestown, PA

#8 Mar 21, 2010
Drug tests are a clear violation of privacy rights and the fourth amendment. They are straight out of Orwell's 1984. I can't believe how many people are so willing to surrender their constitutional rights. If you want to give up your rights fine, just don't try to tamper with mine!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitefish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White Supremacists Demonstrate in Bozeman (Oct '09) 1 hr Also freedom of s... 44
Review: 123 Rain Gutters (Nov '13) Apr 27 jstrong196 3
News Woman sues after police shooting during standoff Apr 25 seen any of these 1
News EPA to propose Superfund listing for Columbia F... Apr 25 seen any of these 1
Review: Sem's Car Wash Apr 24 craig peters 1
Living in Whitefish Montana (Oct '14) Apr 10 jennnnnnnny 5
Information about Kessinger Publishing (Jun '10) Mar '15 Kate 34
More from around the web

Whitefish People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]