Kandy

Somerset, KY

#1 Dec 9, 2012
im coming for 2 days to your area-will be staying at greenbrier but would like suggestions on other things to do in the area--ive got a feeling i cant stay inside the hotel for 3 days-can anyone recommend any good little shops or places to eat-any ideas? Thanks so much
Hello

Parkersburg, WV

#2 Dec 10, 2012
Check out the caves in our area. Organ cave and lost world caverns. Both have nice little gift shops to. Organ cave keeps it natural. Lost world is beautiful. Extended lighting really lights it up. My kids love it. Organ cave has extended tours, I think I heard somewhere near 70 miles or so. Natural and historical landmark. Lost world i'm not sure about extended tours. I've been in Organ many times, I love it. I return there often with my family. These can be booked with the hotel I think. Last time I was in there I seen information on both of them there. Welcome to the area, Enjoy.
Tourist

United States

#3 Dec 10, 2012
Organ Cave is very Beautiful the downfall ur not getting the true history . Do some research on the history before u go the owner has spiced it up
Hello

Parkersburg, WV

#4 Dec 10, 2012
If its spiced up, did the current owner do it? I remember going into this cave as a child and hearing the same history. It was then owned by different people. I've been there for the re-enactments as well as the round tables held by civil war historians, they do tell the same story. It is something to look into, thank you for pointing it out. What is spiced up? General Robert E. Lee being there? Or the salt petre works? I mean that is a proven fact. I'm very curious now, because I got a son that loves history and believes this cave to have played a vital role in the civil war.
Hello

Parkersburg, WV

#5 Dec 10, 2012
Ok I took the time to check with the national historical landmark network in Charleston. When something in West Virginia is declared, its based on proven facts. Organ Cave is declared by them, and based on proven facts of the events there. Something I didn't know, It's also on the Civil war trail. When something is submitted to their department, its investigated by it's history. I was told they would never declared something a historical landmark based on untruths or stories based on anything other then facts. I find the story told there to hold merit based on this as well as many of the local war historians, that have spent much of their lives studying the facts of the Civil war. Those hoppers down there are the only ones left known to be still standing. I don't know how many is left, but I know there is several of them. I say great job the the current as well as the past owners for protecting them.
Hello

Parkersburg, WV

#6 Dec 10, 2012
Oh and I was also told those hoppers produced at least 70% of the nitrates used to make gun powder for the confederate army. This was done under the command of General Robert E. Lee from 1861 to 1863. Salt petre was also mined there two other times. The war of 1812 I was told, and small parts of those older hoppers can still be seen. I learned more then I even knew by looking into it as you suggested. Its great to have such a wonderful part of History right here in Organ Cave. For me, when the guide tells the story its almost like you can feel it.
Welcome2WV

Peterstown, WV

#7 Dec 10, 2012
Kandy wrote:
im coming for 2 days to your area-will be staying at greenbrier but would like suggestions on other things to do in the area--ive got a feeling i cant stay inside the hotel for 3 days-can anyone recommend any good little shops or places to eat-any ideas? Thanks so much
There is the Bunker at the Greenbrier that is open for tours now in White Sulphur Springs. It was a relocation center for Congress during the Cold War. It is definitely worth seeing. The cost is 30.00 for a 90 minute tour. I loved it! Quaint shops in downtown Lewisburg and in White Sulphur Springs. My favorite places to eat in Lewisburg are Stardust Cafe, Food and Friends and Bella Casa's. In W.S.S, 50 East is pretty good. If you like plays,etc., the Greenbrier Valley Theatre in Lewisburg always has good performances as well. Enjoy your stay and welcome!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#8 Dec 10, 2012
blow me
Kandy

East Bernstadt, KY

#9 Dec 11, 2012
LOL--I guess there are idiots everywhere-thanks for all your suggestions--I'm sure we will enjoy it!
momma

United States

#10 Dec 21, 2012
There are a lot of attractions around this area. Don't pay attention to those idiots

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

White Sulphur Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 11 hr The Last warrior ... 1,471
Alley Ferguson 17 hr Lewis 13
McDonalds 17 hr Wondering 1
Buck Sturgell 19 hr Mary 2
wrs staffing 23 hr Cant swim 3
No show justice Mon Just A Fact 6
Cheating Mon Henry Morgan 57

White Sulphur Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance