Sears TV incident brings out some ang...

Sears TV incident brings out some anger Sears incident brings o...

There are 36 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 8, 2008, titled Sears TV incident brings out some anger Sears incident brings o.... In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

T here's nothing like feeling betrayed by an old and trusted friend to get your blood going.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
get serious

Clarksville, MD

#1 Jun 8, 2008
We've bought Kenmore appliances for 30 years -- no problems!
Strange juxtaposition

Waldorf, MD

#2 Jun 8, 2008
What shows below your picture on the column castigating Sears on their deplorable service record - an ad for Sears from Google. Go figure!!!!!!

Maybe even at the Sun the right hand and left hand have a problem communicating.
HRC

Walled Lake, MI

#3 Jun 8, 2008
Bully for you! Next time, post a comment with at least a little thought and relevance to the topic.
get serious wrote:
We've bought Kenmore appliances for 30 years -- no problems!
MrEd

Parkville, MD

#4 Jun 8, 2008
Sears started going downhill about 30 years ago. They were the first large store to eliminate full time, career employees from the sales floor. They laid off everyone and rehired them part time. After that it was no longer a career but just a part time job. I'm sure they will soon screw up the Lands End operation. As for the merger with K-Mart, they have been a punk operation for as long as I can remember. No help in the stores and long checkout lines.
MJS

Glen Burnie, MD

#5 Jun 8, 2008
Strange juxtaposition wrote:
What shows below your picture on the column castigating Sears on their deplorable service record - an ad for Sears from Google. Go figure!!!!!!
Maybe even at the Sun the right hand and left hand have a problem communicating.
You do realize of course that the Sun had nothing to do wit that ad? Google buys ad space from companies and places "relevant" ads. How was Google's technology supposed to know that the article was negative about Sears? It likely noticed how many times the word Sears was used and therefore placed a "relevant" ad.
Think before you write (and speak)
Jim

United States

#6 Jun 8, 2008
I hope you have your facts right. Today- consumers can and often are picky, petty, and punitive. I had a bad experience with Slyvania and it did NOT come from Sears. People will lie about anything today. The check is in the mail. I don't put anything down the drain. On and on. I am retiring just because I have had it with abusive consumers who have no value of absolute truth!
Bruce

Columbia, MD

#8 Jun 8, 2008
Even though this is about a week too late, I recently bought a dishwasher for my home (the first appliance I've had to replace), and it wasn't the Sears brand I purchased. I did a bunch of research before purchasing it (consumer report, epinions.com , etc.) and even though the Sears brand was given the consumer report's "best buy" rating, you want to know why I decided on a Ge model from Home Depot instead? The answer is I read consumers/users comments on Sears' own website and a majority of them had said that the customer service experiences that they had encountered were nothing short of a nightmare. I figured why spend all of that money on a "quality" but necessary item if the company wasn't going to be there for me in my time of need? Customer service is still something consumers such as myself still value- our lives are too busy nowadays to have to deal with the runaround bs that big corporations like to put us through. So, if you have the chance to review a product you bought, do so b/c it helps out other consumers when they're making a major purchase. I'm proud to say that I haven't had any major problems with my GE dishwasher, which was ranked like 27th out of 30 on Consumer Report's list, since I purchased it in January.
Register Complaints

Washington, DC

#9 Jun 8, 2008
Yeh, right. When you express any disatisfaction to a customer service rep nowadays, the reaction is usually a blank stare or stare with a very nasty expression. Rarely does the person working the front lines have any sense of obligation to express regret on behalf of the corporate behemoth that hires all part-timers to avoid paying benefits. What's more, most retail workers seem to live a culture of it's us against them ("them" being the consumer). Often they resent even having to put their cell phone down long enough to ring you up at the register.

Flipside, shop at COSTCO and you will never have to worry about return policies. The quality is good and returns are almost always no questions asked. Yet, COSTCO is unionized, pays its workers relatively well, and is rate by Consumer Reports as having some of the most satisfied customers (sans the limited selection).
Mike Drought

AOL

#10 Jun 8, 2008
For 30 years years I was proud of the Sears I worked for. Since my retirement 15 years ago I have sadly watched it go downhill, and I am another American who no longer ships there. How sad.
get serious

Clarksville, MD

#11 Jun 8, 2008
HRC - what's your problem? I simply said they had reliable products.
Critter

United States

#12 Jun 9, 2008
In the late 1960s, we had a 15" adjustable wrench that was broken while my father, brother and I were trying to remove a tractor wheel (yes, I grew up on a farm). It was Craftsman brand - lifetime guarantee. I won't go into the details, but we broke the handle off, and let's just say that the wrench did not break in what could be termed 'normal use'. Anyone who knows anything about tools knows it is difficult to break a 15" adjustable wrench.

When my father took it into Sears for replacement, he was ready to buy a new one, but wanted to see how 'lifetime' the 'lifetime warantee' actually was. The salesperson looked at the broken wrench, started to ask how it became broken, stopped, got a new wrench out of stock and gave it to my father. No charge.

THEN he asked my father "How in the ---- did you break THAT?" When my father explained how, the salesperson had a good laugh.

I wonder if anyone would get the same service at Sears (or any other store) today?
rich in parkville

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 9, 2008
after spending over 30 years in the retail business I can tell you that customer service is a thing of the past. We now have self check outs. Automated phone service for just about all companies you call. Restocking charge if you return an item your not satisfied with. In most stores, if an advertised item is out of stock you get an "oh well" that is if you can find anyone to ask. All retail companies gave up service when they eliminated full time career positions for part-time,uninspired,deadend part time help
slanes

Carlsbad, CA

#14 Jun 9, 2008
Sears used to be an American icon like American pie...even pies spoil.
robie

Manchester, MD

#15 Jun 9, 2008
k mart! that say's it all. ha!
jeffro

Morrisville, NC

#16 Jun 9, 2008
Sears in in finacial trouble right now. Bank of America cut off their credit line weeks ago. They won't survive this.
not in the least confused

Washington, DC

#17 Jun 9, 2008
robie wrote:
k mart! that say's it all. ha!
K-Mart sux!
Gene

AOL

#18 Jun 9, 2008
Right on.
mark

Towson, MD

#19 Jun 9, 2008
Growing up in the 1970s, my mother and father seemed to visit Sears on North Avenue in Baltimore every Saturday morning. Our house was full of Craftsman tools, Kenmore Appliances, Craftsman lawn mower(s) including a tractor, clothing, shoes, underwear, etc. Some of these Sears goods didn't measure up and I remember my dad sending back an air compressor that locked up didn't and a lawn tractor that spent more time broken than working properly.

All of this was impressionable upon me as a young lad so when I bought my first home in the 1990s, I started loading it up with Sears merchandise. I, like my father, started sending back some of this Sears junk that didn't work including a VCR, lawn tractor, table saw, washer/dryer after Sears repair services failed miserably at trying to fix this broken down junk.

Just this morning, I had an A&E repair man (eg. Sears) out the third time this Spring to fix my top of the line 26hp, 54" Kohler-powered Sears garden tractor which is luckily still under warranty. Each time the repair man has showed up at my home, he said he had another 8-10 service calls that day. I said to him this morning that this didn't speak well about the durability nor reliability of Sears tractors. He had a different take and commented that "a lot of people are cutting a lot of grass this season." I think he missed my point. If he is making 8-10 home visits per day multiplied by 5-6 workdays per week, that's makes for an awful lot of service calls (just for tractor repairs) to the tune of 40-60 calls per week... and that's just for this one Sears repair man. Surely, Sears has more than just one repair man servicing tractors in the Baltimore area. Either way, that sounds like an awful lot of Sears junk out there to me!

One other note, I recently bought two upright freezers to replace two energy inefficient Sears Coldspot freezers in my home. Needless to say, I went to Lowes and bought two Whirlpool freezers because I didn't want to deal with Sears, it's fault-prone unreliable products and it's crappy repair services.

That's not nostalgia, that's reality in my household.
Wayne P

AOL

#20 Jun 9, 2008
I worked at Sears for 30 years, selling floorcoverings for 20 years and major appliances for 10 years. Naturally I bought the P.A. when I bought my appliances. I sold my home and tried to switch the P.A.'s to the new owner which Sears states is somethibg that can be done. We were to tell the customer this as part of the sales presentation. Try as I might, I was never able to get Sears to transfer the agreements to the new owner. I still receive phone calls every other month to renew my P.A.'s on appliances that stayed with the home I sold. Sears is not Sears anymore, it is a Hedgefund, not a retailer. What a shame.
dexter

United States

#21 Jun 9, 2008
You can add me to the list of people who had problems with Sears' Customer service, unreliable products, and bad expericences with service personel. As long as I am on this Earth I will never purchase another Sears product, nor will I recommend Sears to anyone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

White Hall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 PFC Jones 19
Debate: Gay Marriage - Jarrettsville, MD (Jan '12) Aug '15 Ioe 9
Dog running loose (Aug '14) Aug '14 JMDi32 1
wow check th is one out! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dudley Ohanlon 1
Review: Automotive Authority LLC (Aug '11) May '13 Matt 9
Housing or trailer cheap? (Oct '12) Oct '12 Joe Dirt 1
News Last public hearing for 3rd District rezoning r... (Jun '12) Jun '12 concerned citizen 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

White Hall Mortgages