Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Jul 17, 2012
mom

Portsmouth, OH

#1 Apr 10, 2012
What is the deal with elementary kids getting away with everything. I know it's been going on a few years now but it's getting worse. I went to Burg when I was a child and if kids were out of line the teacher wasted no time in sending them to the principle's office. From there it was detention, Saturday school or detention. Apparently teachers aren't allowed to do anything other than notify the principle. I guess kids do actually go to the principle but come back and it's like nothing ever happened. My daughter tells me she witnesses kids punching other kids, telling teachers "no", and throwing things and nothing happens. Are there new state / county laws or what?
go girl

Waverly, OH

#2 Apr 10, 2012
Teachers are there to teach these kids an education. It is not their duty to teach them how to obey rules, have manners and morals, be respectful of others, etc. Children need to be raised and I don't see much of that going on these days.
nothing new

Portsmouth, OH

#3 Apr 10, 2012
Oh it's ridiculous. The kids in elementary are more out of control than the kids in middle, jr high, and high school by far.
mmq

Naperville, IL

#4 Apr 10, 2012
It is a teacher's job the educate the kids but they need to ready to reintegrate boundaries and consequences when another child is disrupting the class. The thing is most teachers attempt this. From what I've heard the principle looks down upon teachers taking away recess and things like that. Instead the principle tells kids, don't do that again and that's it. No wonder kids aren't afraid to keep doing what they are doing.
lol

Portsmouth, OH

#5 Apr 11, 2012
schools need to start paddleing again
lol

United States

#6 Apr 11, 2012
lol wrote:
schools need to start paddleing again
you ever notice its the teachers and administrations kids that are the worst
idkat

Portsmouth, OH

#7 Apr 11, 2012
I wouldn't necessarily say they are the worst. I would agree that the teachers' kids get away with more though.
Black22

Portsmouth, OH

#8 May 6, 2012
I know kids from burg who can't even read.
Wondering

United States

#9 May 10, 2012
go girl wrote:
Teachers are there to teach these kids an education. It is not their duty to teach them how to obey rules, have manners and morals, be respectful of others, etc. Children need to be raised and I don't see much of that going on these days.
I disagree with you to a point... Absolutely it is the parents job to raise respectful children, who act properly... However it is a teachers responsibility to make sure a child isn't bullying, or harming other children, or seriously disrupting the learning process. Now days teachers are with children for longer periods of time through the day than parents are. I believe anyone trusted to be with our children should always have the right to correct them... teachers, coaches, babysitters, sunday school teachers... The old saying it takes a town to raise a child is very true. Parents use to watch out of other people's children, now they turn a blind eye. I can remeber my mom knowing exactly where I was and who I was with before I even got home to tell her about my day.
retired

Portsmouth, OH

#10 May 10, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree with you to a point... Absolutely it is the parents job to raise respectful children, who act properly... However it is a teachers responsibility to make sure a child isn't bullying, or harming other children, or seriously disrupting the learning process. Now days teachers are with children for longer periods of time through the day than parents are. I believe anyone trusted to be with our children should always have the right to correct them... teachers, coaches, babysitters, sunday school teachers... The old saying it takes a town to raise a child is very true. Parents use to watch out of other people's children, now they turn a blind eye. I can remeber my mom knowing exactly where I was and who I was with before I even got home to tell her about my day.
You're exactly right. Teachers have responsibilities beyond teaching subject areas and principals do even more so.
Worktolive

Athens, OH

#11 May 21, 2012
go girl wrote:
Teachers are there to teach these kids an education. It is not their duty to teach them how to obey rules, have manners and morals, be respectful of others, etc. Children need to be raised and I don't see much of that going on these days.
Schools have went down hill ever since they did away with corporal punishment and the government trying to send parents to jail for spanking their kids. My kids were told if they did anything to deserve a spanking at school they would get another when they got home. Spanking works-time out is a joke.
lol

Portsmouth, OH

#12 May 21, 2012
Please tell me you're being sarcastic. I hope so. Spanking does not work, at least not long-term. Timeouts do work if done the right way. Most people just don't know the right way. Causing physical pain to a human being should never be used as a way to teach someone how they should act.
In the know

Logan, OH

#13 May 21, 2012
Because of budget cuts there is no after school detention or saturday school for elementary kids. Parents need to take some responsibility in teaching their kids respect and to follow rules and maybe things like detention wouldn't even be needed. Children aren't taught at home that there are rules that must be followed and it makes it tough on the teachers. Disruptive students are removed from class but there are few choices for any real change making discipline anymore.
burg

Portsmouth, OH

#14 Jun 8, 2012
The problem with the kids that go to burg is there mom and dad make them think they are better than anybody else. In fact most of them are not let your kid relize that they have no future enless they work for it. Stop giving your kids everything and make them work for it. Your kids don't have money you do and you are making your kids worthless because they don't respect you for giving them evertyhing.
yyyyyy

Ashley, OH

#15 Jun 9, 2012
Has Burg handled their little issue of passing barely literate kids through the system?
Burg

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 16, 2012
My daughter is in middle school and I can't believe how bad it is now @ Burg. I stay in close contact with teachers and the principle. They react very fast to situations and have confronted students when they have done anything out of line to my daughter. The same student has not done a repeat performance either. It is the teachers responsibility to teach, it's also their responsibility to take whatever steps they've approved of to stop any wrong behavior on their watch. Then teacher/principle needs to contact the parent to inform them. It's also the parents responsibility to raise their children right, which is severely lacking. Too many drug addicted, young, immature parents without the skills to raise their children properly. Open enrollment isn't helping either, I'm more than happy for students from surrounding areas to come to Burg. But NOT if it's the most recent stop in a long line of suspensions from other schools! Which is the case with some of the worst students. Be involved parents, so that your kids talk to you and tell you what's happening. Then talk to the teachers, principle, Superintendent... as far up the line as you need to go to get it resolved. Otherwise your children and the issue just get swept under the rug.
Burg Mom

Logan, OH

#18 Jul 16, 2012
burg wrote:
The problem with the kids that go to burg is there mom and dad make them think they are better than anybody else. In fact most of them are not let your kid relize that they have no future enless they work for it. Stop giving your kids everything and make them work for it. Your kids don't have money you do and you are making your kids worthless because they don't respect you for giving them evertyhing.
There is a BIG problem with parents and kids who think they are entitled and better than everyone else because they live in the Burg. The Burg lovable lovely little town, but does that make a better person because we live here? Even at sporting events, it is hard to sit in the stands and hear the comments and heckling. The adults seem to be the worst with their noses up in the air. I try to teach my children to respect people from all walks of life. It is hard to do because children emulate what they see, even outside the home. There is truth in the fact that other schools do not like us. It is not all envy. It's because we are snobs that think others must be trash because they do not live in the Burg. Our children need to be taught respect for those less fortunate than themselves. Chances are they are not going to live in the Burg forever.
Shameful

Ashland, KY

#19 Jul 17, 2012
Why do u guys think it is soo wonderful to live there? No different than anywhere else. Shootings drugs etc. No different than the surrounding area. The only difference is there is a bunch of 30,000.00 a year millionaires wannabes trying to live there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wheelersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Anonymous of Indy 30,543
School uniforms 5 hr Jesus 24
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge 8 hr burgfam 19
apartments Fri batman 2
cfnm Fri gary 4
Man Charged With Rape Of 12-Year-Old Aug 28 yep 7
Wheelersburg rental home with no heat source Aug 27 blind 4
•••
•••
•••

Wheelersburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wheelersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Wheelersburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wheelersburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••