Transgendered widow jailed for tardiness

Jan 13, 2012 Full story: Houston Chronicle

Nikki Araguz, the transgender widow of Wharton firefighter Thomas Araguz, killed in the line of duty in 2010, talks outside the Wharton County Courthouse during a break in the hearing to decide the fate of the firefighter's death benefits Friday, May 20, 2011, in Houston.

Full Story

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#1 Jan 14, 2012
At first, I was sympathetic to her, but after reading the story, I think Ms Araguz is at fault. What the headline doesn't say is she was supposed to plead guilty to a charge of theft. This has nothing to do with her being married to a firefighter and now his widow.
Regards, Terri

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#2 Jan 15, 2012
TerryE wrote:
At first, I was sympathetic to her, but after reading the story, I think Ms Araguz is at fault. What the headline doesn't say is she was supposed to plead guilty to a charge of theft. This has nothing to do with her being married to a firefighter and now his widow.
Regards, Terri
This was not the first tardiness for a court appearance. There was also the matter of hiding recording devices under clothing and drinking alcoholic beverages contrary to the conditions of the bail requirements. I once again will commend your objectivity and fairness with your post. If it hadn't been for prior shenanigans, there would have been possible grounds for considering judicial misconduct on the part of the judge.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#3 Jan 15, 2012
As a free citizen of a free country, I see nothing wrong with recording the proceedings. The state does it all the time! Further more, An appeal would be based on the transcript of the trial. These transcripts are very costly. The real crime is that she had to wear the recording device surrupticiously. A Defendant should be able to openly record the proceedings without fear of judicial reprisal.
Regards Terri
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>This was not the first tardiness for a court appearance. There was also the matter of hiding recording devices under clothing and drinking alcoholic beverages contrary to the conditions of the bail requirements. I once again will commend your objectivity and fairness with your post. If it hadn't been for prior shenanigans, there would have been possible grounds for considering judicial misconduct on the part of the judge.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#4 Jan 15, 2012
TerryE wrote:
As a free citizen of a free country, I see nothing wrong with recording the proceedings. The state does it all the time! Further more, An appeal would be based on the transcript of the trial. These transcripts are very costly. The real crime is that she had to wear the recording device surrupticiously. A Defendant should be able to openly record the proceedings without fear of judicial reprisal.
Regards Terri
<quoted text>
The only problem here is that the recording was to be used by a private party that had no personal stake in the case. I wonder if the defendant got any money from those who wanted to record the proceedings for a documentary. In this case, the reason for recording it had nothing to do with the reasons you give for why somebody should be allowed to record the proceedings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wharton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Fatima Montes (Nov '13) Dec 15 you should know 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Reynas?? Nov '14 luvmeorhateme 1
Looking to suck mrm or mwm Sep '14 White man 1
fodem sassy ladys Aug '14 la molla 1
looking for an efficiency in wharton Jul '14 shawn 1

Wharton News Video

Wharton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wharton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wharton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wharton