Court says public can watch jurors being questioned

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from May 30, 2007, titled Court says public can watch jurors being questioned. In it, Newsday reports that:

A state appellate court on Wednesday ruled that the public can observe when jurors are questioned about whether they were improperly influenced by a state senator who sat on the jury that awarded $876,000 in a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

professor

Red Bank, NJ

#1 May 30, 2007
What was wrong with the lawyers and judge in this case, allowing a politician-lawyer onto the jury? People who can think for themselves, are not submissive to authority, and do not accept the rulings of a government bureaucrat do not often make it onto a jury. Jury nullification is one of the last remnants of "we, the people." A nullifying jury is the place where the people can hold government and business accountable. Jurors that use their own common sense are anathema in the present jury system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wharton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
thinking of living in dover (Jul '07) Mon Andres 23
News Owner of Albanese Sports Gallery in Belvidere a... (Jan '09) Mar '15 BSD 5
police closed victory gardens on nov 20 (Nov '09) Mar '15 Colbuzzsaw 11
News Canceling E-ZPass account not so easy (Sep '08) Mar '15 Want my money back 22
News What's up, docks? Lake Hopatcong has 2,183 of them Jan '15 blaxout 1
Wharton's Roller Derby to Host Charity Game (May '14) May '14 Psycho 78s 1
News Text sender could be civilly liable for N.J. wreck (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Wharton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]