Florida - Prison Disturbance in Florida Panhandle

There are 18 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Dec 29, 2007, titled Florida - Prison Disturbance in Florida Panhandle. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

More than 70 state prison inmates were moved to new facilities after a violent disturbance last week at a Panhandle prison in which five guards suffered minor injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

jack

Brownsburg, IN

#1 Dec 30, 2007
the officers need to stop being so nasty to the inmates....or get stomped
the truth

Jacksonville, FL

#2 Dec 30, 2007
jack wrote:
the officers need to stop being so nasty to the inmates....or get stomped
Inmates that are cought swinging fist should be shot on the spot.Inmates are criminal thats why we call where the are housed prisons.When a C.O. is doing hie or hers job most inmates will consider you a nasty officer.Until we get tough on these vermin our streets will never be safe.
dallas hessler

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 1, 2008
i want 2 go
goffin

AOL

#4 Jan 1, 2008
why is the criminal there for in the first place
FOR A CRIME !
DO A CRIME, DO THE TIME
burglar

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Jan 1, 2008
jack wrote:
the officers need to stop being so nasty to the inmates....or get stomped
Quit smoking crack you festering hippie sore on the nations buttocks. Prison is not supposed to be a nice place short bus. If you want to go hold the inmates hands while they drift into stories of how their innocence was ripped away from them by them big mean guards then have at it. Go and spend some time with the nations finest prisoners. What a freaking joke.
On the Inside

United States

#6 Jan 7, 2008
jack wrote:
the officers need to stop being so nasty to the inmates....or get stomped
Do you know where most violence in the prison is directed against?- OTHER PRISONERS!!

From rape to gang war to racial issues, Almost ALL Violence is either attacks on inmates or an officer trying to break up a fight between two or more inmates!

So if I understand your point, in order to stay safe, the officers should allow other inmates to rape, steal from and kill each other!

The Department of Corrections DOES NOT STOP CRIME - it only keeps convicted rapists, thieves and murderers away from you!

If you want to make the prisons a nicer, more genial environment, just loosen the enforcement of our laws! That way the drug dealers selling poison to our children, killing our neighbors, raping our sisters, stealing cars and running down the guy on the street won't be hurting each other!

The reason - without the tirade - that Correctional Officers are "Hard" on the inmates, are to maintain the safest environment possible.

I ask you to consider directing your concern for those keeping those convicted of crimes safely behind bars, instead of those whom, led by their choices, are serving sentences that they were convicted for.
Sandra

Spring Hill, FL

#7 Jan 8, 2008
You know, no one says they are angels, but you also have to acknowledge that a uniform doesn't necessarily make him/her a good person either. Yes, let them do their time. Don't ridicule, harrass, threaten, beat and lie because your in charge. If you keep making them harder and more used to abuse, then just think of what you are reaping when they get out...Because they do get out and they do live in your neighborhood. And one day it may well be a member of your family, I wonder on your responses then.
VERDICT11

Altamonte Springs, FL

#8 Jan 10, 2008
I WAS READING EVERYTHING POSTED AND I FEEL FOR THE OFFICERS THAT ARE ABOUT SOMETHING,, BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW IVE BEEN ON BOTH SIDES , AND TO TELL THE TRUTH SOME ARE HARD ON INMATES CAUSE OF COLOR ,, SOME ARE HARD CAUSE OF HATE AND PERSONAL REASONS,, AS FOR SHOT ON THE SPOT ,OR THEY ARE VERMIN,, WHY PASS JUDGMENT ON THEM WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THEM......SEE FIRST HAND I AM MARRIED TO A INMATE AT GULF,
Clearwater FL

Largo, FL

#9 May 2, 2008
Port Orange!!! I am married to an inmate in Gulf too. It's hard for everyone! Wish you and your family well!
ruredd4dis

Pensacola, FL

#10 Oct 24, 2008
Yes it is true that prisoners should be punished for their crime, however, they are human and not all of them in prison committed a horrible crime, yet they are beaten by the guards, treated inhumane, and not getting proper medical attention. More often C.O.'s are harassing prisoners til they snap.
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Inmates that are cought swinging fist should be shot on the spot.Inmates are criminal thats why we call where the are housed prisons.When a C.O. is doing hie or hers job most inmates will consider you a nasty officer.Until we get tough on these vermin our streets will never be safe.
Sum008

Cordova, TN

#11 Oct 25, 2008
I think for anyone to judge a person based on their title or DC # is inhumane...Im not an advocate for inmates but if your gonna take time out of your day to judge another human for their mistakes...make sure your doing it by their record and stop catagorizing them all as one! I am also married to an inmate and if you knew this wonderful soul...if you really gave him a chance ..you would agree that the system has failed alot of them! Do any of you have kids...teenage boys that think they are smarter than you...well kids make dumb choices...does that mean you throw them in a cell and torture them when they act out! If My husband would have realized the punishment of his adolecence..He would have passed it by and became a doctor for kids or a soldier medic...I agree he needed a punishment to show him the choices he made were wrong but to throw away his life and consider him vermon...if words were like actions then sir..i believe you would be an inmate yourself! Take a moment ...go on the DOC page and look at some younger less horrific crimes these inmates have committed and tell me...are your kids able to avoid bein too harshly punished for bein adolecent by someone other than you???
Panhandle Resident

Eastpoint, FL

#13 Jul 1, 2009
The inmates in Panhandle prisons have no respect for authority as the guards often caught having sex with the inmates or providing drugs.

When the prison gurards practice criminal activity themselves, then all hell is going to break loose isn't it?
Fed up in Florida

Port Saint Joe, FL

#14 Aug 7, 2009
Today's inmates will be tomorrow's contractors. They can't get a job anywhere else so the State hands them contractor's licenses.

They can continue their crimes, but this time with the State of Florida's seal of approval!
Paid my debt

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Aug 8, 2009
There are fights in prisons in Fl. all the time the co's get paid, there trained and they can quit and get another job when they wont to.

Fl. inmates do 100 % of there sentence,
See https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.a...

There are no paid jobs in Fl. DOC to speak of, and no AC, during summer when it gets hot that's when the fights happend, MRSA staph infection was running rampid in the panhandle prisions 2 years ago and getting antibiotics is like asking for Oxycontin, the food in Fl. DOC is all made from turkey meat (dog vomit), no arts or crafts are allowed for inmates it all get to a point and sh*t happends
Craig Mansour

Port Saint Joe, FL

#17 Oct 24, 2009
Eye for an eye.....
Tooth for a tooth....
They knew what they did was wrong and did not give a damn about the consequenses. I am tired of paying for the free education, cable, gym equipment, ect. when I already paid for it once already in the form of a school tax. Maybe we shoud look at stricter school systems. I want my money back from the inmate or the state because they choose to ignor what was right from wrong.
Dave

Birmingham, AL

#18 Jan 2, 2011
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Inmates that are cought swinging fist should be shot on the spot.Inmates are criminal thats why we call where the are housed prisons.When a C.O. is doing hie or hers job most inmates will consider you a nasty officer.Until we get tough on these vermin our streets will never be safe.
I just finished doing nine yrs In prison and I've seen both sides to this. I deserved to go to prison, glad I went, I was able to grow up mentally and learn about life; however, while there I did see alot of inmates that needed to get stomped on, I also seen many officers that let that "power" get to there heads. They would miss treat the inmates because there was nothing we could really do about it not if we wanted to get home to our families. Now that I'm a free man I often bump into these officers in public and when I speak up they put their heads down because they know they're wrong and they have no "power" outside that fence.
Dave

Birmingham, AL

#19 Jan 2, 2011
Craig Mansour wrote:
Eye for an eye.....
Tooth for a tooth....
They knew what they did was wrong and did not give a damn about the consequenses. I am tired of paying for the free education, cable, gym school systems. I want my money back from the inmate or the state because they choose to ignor what was right from wrong.
Well sir I will have you know that I earned my college degree while in a Fl prison and I will also have you know that my wonderfully loving family paid for every penny of it, none of your pennies were used to pay for this education that now has me bringing home $150k as a contractor :)- Oh and most of the exercise equipment that we used I myself built from scrap that an officer stole from the DOT yard, such a role model.
Make a difference

Alturas, FL

#20 Apr 30, 2011
Been reading up on these posts and have found out JUST how ignorent people are. Who died and made you people God, to be able to judge these men and women. Before you write me off for the rapists, murderers, and physical assult cases I agree use brute force to keep the population in order if you have to. HOWEVER, some of you need to do your research! Most of the men and women in DOC are drug offenders. Who of never experimented with drugs as a teen?! For those of that did, are lucky you don't have a trait that's genetic called ADDICTION. Until kids are educated starting in grade school not only about winding up in prison, but also how it will effect your life IF you get out then we are all LOST and will continue to have our prisons full.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wewahitchka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tonya Mullins Case LEO/Media Cover-up (Jul '11) 2 hr Panamaed 291
Dance Places? May 21 Cassanova 5
Frog Johnson and Zackowski murder trials May 21 Panamaed 9
Shelly the scammer (Aug '14) May 18 Duh 712
White Western Men's Club Runs Panama City (Nov '09) May 18 Panamaed 589
The Private Investigator on Tanya Mullins case ... (Aug '12) May 10 Panamaed 41
High schools earn - Bs'; distrtict to appeal Dec '14 Parent 1
More from around the web

Wewahitchka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]