Ask Amy: Sister smokes, curses around...

Ask Amy: Sister smokes, curses around the kids

There are 280 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 20, 2009, titled Ask Amy: Sister smokes, curses around the kids. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dear Amy: My husband and I are of a different faith than his family. We never discuss religion or condemn them for their faith, but one of his sisters blasts us for our faith.She hosts family gatherings on Sundays and gets very upset if we choose church instead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

“I'm bringing sexy back...”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#272 May 21, 2009
edogxxx wrote:
You may have already considered this, Nova, but have you sent in some of your questions and responses to the trib to see if they'll give you a staff job?
As you've said, the world needs advice from a man's point of view. Until now, all advice columnists have been women.
Though, you probably make more doing what you do now than you would an advice columnist, so maybe count your blessings.
P.S. Thanks
I think that's a great idea.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#273 May 21, 2009
Lil Roo wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too!

“Merry Holidays!”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#274 May 21, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Truer words have never been spoken. I'll settle up my debt at "Ask Nova Live!" L-O-L!
I haven't been on there b/c I can't go on at work. I'll try to check it out tonight.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#275 May 21, 2009
Lil Roo wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. And he wouldn't have to give up his day job, he's juggling both right now with no problem.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#276 May 21, 2009
edogxxx wrote:
You may have already considered this, Nova, but have you sent in some of your questions and responses to the trib to see if they'll give you a staff job?
As you've said, the world needs advice from a man's point of view. Until now, all advice columnists have been women.
Though, you probably make more doing what you do now than you would an advice columnist, so maybe count your blessings.
P.S. Thanks
Now that you mention it, I did send them the link.

Thomas Edison isn't the only one who can do shameless self-promotion, ya know...

United States

#277 May 21, 2009
Terri at home wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been on there b/c I can't go on at work. I'll try to check it out tonight.
Sorry Terri. Yeah, I hate those stupid filters at work. But since we might say <gasp!> some profanity at some point, I had to mark it as adult.

On the bright side, at my company I'm the one who's in charge of the filter, so guess which site got added as an exception???

“Merry Holidays!”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#278 May 21, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Terri. Yeah, I hate those stupid filters at work. But since we might say <gasp!> some profanity at some point, I had to mark it as adult.
On the bright side, at my company I'm the one who's in charge of the filter, so guess which site got added as an exception???
Ya, well, come on over here and take over our IT department.

Arlington Heights, IL

#279 May 21, 2009
Terri at home wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, well, come on over here and take over our IT department.
Oh trust me, you don't want me "taking over" anything...

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#281 May 22, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that you mention it, I did send them the link.
Thomas Edison isn't the only one who can do shameless self-promotion, ya know...
I stopped by yesterday & I have to say that you give some very good advice. Well thought out.
A Noted Observer

Winnetka, IL

#282 May 22, 2009
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
I stopped by yesterday & I have to say that you give some very good advice. Well thought out.
He HAS to give good advice. If he were a psychologist, he could simply say "counseling" to each dilemma. For example, if someone were falling in love, he could dismiss it as a "PEA haze" and cite some mumbo-jumbo from reference texts. Boring! Instead, this nova dude would apply personal experience. Same with children. Instead of just reading about them and not actually wanting to have any, he HAS children and practical experience. That's rare in these parts. I'm a fan.

United States

#283 May 22, 2009
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>He HAS to give good advice. If he were a psychologist, he could simply say "counseling" to each dilemma. For example, if someone were falling in love, he could dismiss it as a "PEA haze" and cite some mumbo-jumbo from reference texts. Boring! Instead, this nova dude would apply personal experience. Same with children. Instead of just reading about them and not actually wanting to have any, he HAS children and practical experience. That's rare in these parts. I'm a fan.
Thank you!

I just heard back from the Trib. "Not currently looking for columnists." Oh well, that's OK. I can say a lot more on the website than I could in the newspaper anyway...

United States

#284 May 22, 2009
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you too, Andie J!

Miami, FL

#285 May 22, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!
I just heard back from the Trib. "Not currently looking for columnists." Oh well, that's OK. I can say a lot more on the website than I could in the newspaper anyway...
Hey, at least they got back to you and let you know.

“I'm in with the IN crowd”

Since: Feb 09

Highland, IN

#286 May 22, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!
You could join Cheryl over at the Sun Times. You'd definitely trump her column!

United States

#287 May 22, 2009
Sunny03 wrote:
<quoted text>
You could join Cheryl over at the Sun Times. You'd definitely trump her column!
Cheryl's column is easy. "Here's a letter from someone. Now everyone please write in and comment on it and I'll print the responses."

United States

#288 May 22, 2009
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, at least they got back to you and let you know.
True, very true. Pretty quick too. And it wasn't an auto-responder, it was a personalized email. I have to respect businesses that get back to me quickly and with a personal letter.

Miami, FL

#289 May 22, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheryl's column is easy. "Here's a letter from someone. Now everyone please write in and comment on it and I'll print the responses."
And when she does take a crack at giving advice, she's so bad at it that I see red.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#290 May 22, 2009
Is that Cheryl Lavin? I haven't read her column since the Trib dropped it.
Purple Haze

North Chicago, IL

#291 May 22, 2009
A Noted Observer wrote:
<quoted text>He HAS to give good advice. If he were a psychologist, he could simply say "counseling" to each dilemma. For example, if someone were falling in love, he could dismiss it as a "PEA haze" and cite some mumbo-jumbo from reference texts. Boring! Instead, this nova dude would apply personal experience. Same with children. Instead of just reading about them and not actually wanting to have any, he HAS children and practical experience. That's rare in these parts. I'm a fan.
Your psychologist example is strangely familiar......
11 Minute Mile

Spring, TX

#292 Sep 24, 2013
Bob Leblaw wrote:
Was in the navy. Cursed a lot more then. During my exit interview, my XO even mentioned cursing and how it's not as acceptable in the civilian world. But Amy's at least trying to give the impression that she is bias-free. Most stereotypes are based (is he going to? yes, he is -- please note: I used the word "most") in truth. Cursing like a sailor is a pretty accurate maxim).
You know what else? Truck drivers get hemorrhoids, hippies smell bad, and Prius drivers blather about their cars. Beautiful people get advantages in life. Lawyers drink. Engineering professors are persnickety. And sailors curse.
Yes, I have noticed Prius drivers mentioning their vehicles more than others like they are saving the world by driving a small car. Julia Roberts used to have one, but after having a brood of three and her husband, she switched. All all of her kids by in-vitro? Does she still think her Moder Man is the best choice?

I can't stand second hand smoke, so i would avoid the sister or anyone who smokes. If subtle hints did not work as far as the cursing, I'd find ways to not be around her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min Grey Ghost 1,621,014
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr True Cure 318,388
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr Agents of Corruption 64,005
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr hillary 21,294
Big whole house tag sale Wethersfield 10/28 Oct 20 Andrew1984 1
News Arizona sex offender convicted in child ruse ca... (Apr '09) Oct 18 Desert Toad 4
News Nesconset dad writes to give his injured teen a... (Dec '08) Oct 17 Thomas Archer 9

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages