Swine Flu Case Suspected In Middlefie...

Swine Flu Case Suspected In Middlefield; New School Closings In...

There are 11 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 29, 2009, titled Swine Flu Case Suspected In Middlefield; New School Closings In.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Dominic Defeo wipes down a file cabinet in one of the offices in the main office of the Silas Deane Middle School in Wethersfield as a precaution to one possible, suspected case of swine influenza A. Wethersfield Superintendent of Schools Michael Kohlhagen said "this is a very conservative approach to the potential health issue, going beyond CDC ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Why not

United States

#1 Apr 29, 2009
I have also purchased a bubble for my kids to live in. Just in case.
OMGWTFBBQ

Manchester, CT

#2 Apr 29, 2009
First question I have is; "how long can this swine flu virus survive outside of the human body"?

I doubt it's more than 48 hours. Hence no need to be cleaning the schools and sucking up overtime. Close them for 48 hours if you insist.
pragmatist

Haverhill, MA

#3 Apr 29, 2009
wiping down surfaces in the schools is a complete waste of the cleaning budget! The virus is airborne, and does not survive long on surfaces, certainly no longer than 48 hrs. Just shut the school over a weekend and be done with it.
brian Johnson

Halifax, MA

#4 Apr 29, 2009
This virus is spreading like wildfire! And Obama just indicated that we might not have enough medicine! This site says it all!

http://swinefluemergencyupdate.blogspot.com
Stefan

Naugatuck, CT

#5 Apr 29, 2009
Have to agree with pragmatist. Here's West Hartford's approach to dealing with the situation:

http://localonlinenews.tv/video/news/2009/04/...

Pretty simple, reasonable, and rational.
Awesome

New Fairfield, CT

#6 Apr 29, 2009
Once again, Mexico's has exported its failure to the US. They knew they had a possible pandemic on their hands, but waited until AFTER Spring Break. As a result, CT students brought the illness back from Mexico.

Now the state of CT gets to pay a steep price for our open borders. How many people will fall sick because of our ill-conceived relationship with this failed state? How much will it cost?

Why isn't anyone asking these questions?
dan

United States

#7 Apr 29, 2009
it is too late for the Swine Flu to be blamed on the Bush Administration?
Wait

Vernon Rockville, CT

#9 Apr 29, 2009
dan wrote:
it is too late for the Swine Flu to be blamed on the Bush Administration?
We are checking with the local Dems and will report our findings shortly. Please stand by.
Waldo 312

Marietta, GA

#10 Apr 29, 2009
Hey! When it's not my money, go for it. Shut the school down. And we won't make it up

“Miss Eliza”

Since: Dec 07

Maine

#11 Apr 29, 2009
pragmatist wrote:
wiping down surfaces in the schools is a complete waste of the cleaning budget! The virus is airborne, and does not survive long on surfaces, certainly no longer than 48 hrs. Just shut the school over a weekend and be done with it.
I agree, wiping down surfaces is a waste of time & money since the virus is airborne. Closing down the school over a weekend won't work because unfortunately parents will continue to send sick students to school... and the virus will continue to get passed around.
xgolfer

Newington, CT

#12 Apr 29, 2009
With a Superintendent as bright as Kohlhagen, Wethersfield's biggest concern ought to be the quality of education the kids are getting.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min FYVM 1,418,173
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 min Hipocrits 20,496
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Ize Found 70,941
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 11 hr Susanm 311,610
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 hr Into The Night 61,023
Chris Powell Editor of the JI investigated for ... Aug 22 HCourantsub 1
News SEA CLIFF: Paramedic arrested on child harm cha... (Jun '08) Aug 21 Greg 55

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages