Students Say Dress Code Is A Bad Fit ...

Students Say Dress Code Is A Bad Fit -- Courant.com

There are 62 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jul 7, 2007, titled Students Say Dress Code Is A Bad Fit -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Even during summer vacation, students can quickly mobilize when they learn their school board has approved a stringent dress code.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Betty

Westminster, MA

#1 Jul 8, 2007
I think the uniform dress code is a very smart idea my oldest child is 16 and shes ok with it she said " its ok i just get up in the morning and i know what i have to wear". I have a child in elementery and im paying for private school because of the dress code. The whole town of E.H should wear uniform....
Thank you
lenard Easthartford

Newington, CT

#2 Jul 9, 2007
I for one don't agree with a dress code. its one thing to make shure your kids have proper fitting clothing. eg . no baggy pants or low-cut shirts, or mini skirts. its another thing to tell parents that the kids can no longer wear jeans.jeans are worn by almost every kid in school and hold up better than most any other material out there. I was on vacation in Maine this past week and did most on the kids back to school shopping and 99% of what i purchased goes against this new dress code. and I have 3 kids in school and I for one am not going to spend more money on clothing than I have to. we have only one income and thats mine so if the school board wants to buy the clothing for families that cant afford it the fine if not they need to back off or step down. leave the dress codes to the privat schools.
Taz

AOL

#4 Jul 11, 2007
I think the same as Adam and the Clausons. This is just rediculous. To add, there should have been a public outing saying that there was going to be a vote on a new school dress code. The old dress code was fine, and all it would have to take was to enforce it. Taking jeans out of the dress code was lame, everyone wears them. And I think its funny how the people who enforced this "new dress code" were probably part of walkouts back in the early 70s to wear jeans.
Kevin

AOL

#5 Jul 11, 2007
Im against the new dress code also. Enforcing students to wear uniforms when all the staff had to do was enforce the old dress code is beyond me. There wasn't a large quantity of students who violated the old dress code to begin with. If this is supposed to put a stop problems, they need to wak e up and smell the coffee, because its now causing more.
Jessica

AOL

#6 Jul 11, 2007
Hello all, I'm probably one of many who go against the new dress code. I'm also one of many tonight to express what I think about it tonight at the meeting. I hope this new dress code should be taking out. And it was said in the Journal Inquirer that the vote was done wrong anyway. So now, they have to start over again. That will take months and they will have to try and re-enforce it next year. Like Kevin said above, its just causing more problems anyway.
Alex

AOL

#7 Jul 11, 2007
I think its better to not have a new dress code. We should all wear what we want, and what makes us, us.
Dave

AOL

#8 Jul 11, 2007
The new dress code is not an answer to the problem. The students who disobeyed the old code should be the ones who get in trouble, instead of the whole school having to wear uniforms. And if this is supposed to put an end to violence, think again. This whole thing will probably add on to the violence.
Ct Mom-WHTFD

Newington, CT

#10 Jul 12, 2007
In the 2006 the East Hartford BOE sent home a survey to all parents of school children in town, no matter what grade they were in, asking if they wanted uniforms--a standard code of dress--or no change in the policy. Most of those surveys were not returned, but of the ones that were it was made very clear that the parents of East Hartford School Children WANTED at least a standard code of dress to be adopted for the East Hartford School System. That change should have been made effective at the start of the 2006-2007 school year. The BOE decided not make the change in policy that was VOTED on by the parents. The excuse I heard was that they didn't get the number of responses from to the survey that they would have like. I feel that these 150 or so upset parents and children had the right to voice their opinion on the survey that was sent home in 2006 and that since the VOTE calls for change the BOE was correct in making the change in the dress code........but the should have done it when they got the surveys back.
Lena Lam

Gardner, MA

#11 Jul 12, 2007
Why should we wear uniforms. I thought part of life was to express yourself. You can be jocks, cheerleaders, skaters, gothlics, or whatever you want to be.To me the way i dress i show i can express my self not uniforms.Im 14 years old, soon to be 15 in November, and there are younger and older student that also dont want to wear uniforms.I am so upset!

“Hey, I'm Jesse...”

Since: Jul 07

EHCT

#12 Jul 13, 2007
Don't worry Lena Lam...We the students who are also against it will make sure that all students do not wear these uniforms on the first day of school, and so on after that. Thats if we don't over throw the board's decision before school. Also, if we don't, all we'll need is enough support by the students just not wearing them. The school cannot deny all students an education for what they're wearing.
ShaNae_EHHSSoPho More2010

United States

#13 Jul 20, 2007
Im not wearin uniforms. IT shouldnt matter if we wear regular clothes. AT least we go to school and learn. People in jail wear uniforms. Not people in hisg school. If they want someone to wear uniforms, why dont we all just go to Prince TEch.
ShaNae_EHHSSoPho More2010

United States

#14 Jul 20, 2007
ASHL3Y FR3SHMAN OF 3HHS wrote:
i THiNK THiS N3W DR3SS COD3 POLiCY iS RiDiCULOUS. HiGH SCHOOL STUD3NTS SHOULD HAV3 TH3 RiGHT TO DR3SS TH3 WAY TH3Y CHOOS3. COM3 ON TH3S3 AR3 ALMOST GROWN KiDS AND NOW TH3R3 B3iNG TOLD WHAT TO W3AR. i THiNK iT SHOULD B3 OV3R TURN3D AND TH3 OLD DR3SS COD3 SHOULD B3 3NFORC3D.
..Freshmen.
But youre right though. Absolutely right. Aint noone tellin me what to wear. Why have all these nice clothes and we cant even wear them to school? What are we suppose to do, wear them on saturdays and sundays? For what.
Susie

Milford, CT

#15 Jul 20, 2007
Clothing doesn't necessarily express who you are. I'm sure that many kids go to the mall and find that EXACT outfit that they have always wanted only to be told by their parents that it was cost prohibitive and therefore they couldn't get it. Or they are saving for college or to make a car payment and couldn't swing it. So....they weren't allowed to EXPRESS themselves that day? They are someone else because they couldn't get the outfit,shoes, or whatever??? Nonsense!

One poster here nearly got it right when they said that they can be whoever they want, yes, that is true. But what/who you are comes from inside you, how you act, how you carry yourself, and how you interact with society. You don't have to wear a 'costume' to prove WHO you are. Any clothing will do...be yourself and everyone will KNOW who you are.

I personally think the "popular" kids are afraid of dress codes. For years they have been relying on expensive clothing to define themselves. Now they will be on more of an even playing field with the kids who weren't popular because they didn't fit into a certain socio-economic class. They belonged to a class that couldn't "express" themselves because of lack of funds. Now the popular kids will have to develop their personalities because their clothing won't make a good first impression for them.

“Hey, I'm Jesse...”

EHCT

#16 Jul 24, 2007
Are you kidding me? Where are you coming from? You honestly sat at your computer, wrote this, and then hit send. "Susie"...clothing has ALWAYS been a way for some to express themselves. Who cares anyway...uniforms at EHHS aren't going to solve anything. Its not gonna stop the ones who violated the old dress code from doing it again to this new dress code. The only problem was that the older one wasn't enforced enough. The students who violated it were a hand full, and they're the ones who should've been disciplined, not all of EH PUBLIC schools.
And being part of that student body of EHHS, i wasn't anywhere near being "popular"...and what I wore was me and showed others who I was, too. However, that didn't stop anyone from learning. The Board of Ed. needs to wake up and be real. If they think this "new dress code" is to promote a "problem-free enviroment"...they need to wake up and smell the coffee...because there are more problems now than before.
Susie

New Haven, CT

#17 Aug 2, 2007
Forbes wrote:
Are you kidding me? Where are you coming from? You honestly sat at your computer, wrote this, and then hit send. "Susie"...clothing has ALWAYS been a way for some to express themselves. Who cares anyway...uniforms at EHHS aren't going to solve anything. Its not gonna stop the ones who violated the old dress code from doing it again to this new dress code. The only problem was that the older one wasn't enforced enough. The students who violated it were a hand full, and they're the ones who should've been disciplined, not all of EH PUBLIC schools.
And being part of that student body of EHHS, i wasn't anywhere near being "popular"...and what I wore was me and showed others who I was, too. However, that didn't stop anyone from learning. The Board of Ed. needs to wake up and be real. If they think this "new dress code" is to promote a "problem-free enviroment"...they need to wake up and smell the coffee...because there are more problems now than before.
If admin didn't inforce the previous dress code, it was useless. Therefore, the students shouldn't worry about this code.

I stand by my previous comments...ever hear the old expression "Clothes don't make the man"? Well, it's true. Teens don't realize it, but MATURE adults do. Right now, it seems like the end of the world\, being told what to wear. But it isn't. You'll get over it. That being said, I think it is healthy that admin has given you all a safe cause to champion. Having a cause and standing up for what you believe in, then affecting change in an appropriate non-violent manner builds character. Character is something that teens who rely on their clothing to make a statement for them need to develop.

“Hey, I'm Jesse...”

EHCT

#18 Aug 5, 2007
note to: Susie

mhmm...yea..ok....but im pretty sure that when you attended high school you DID NOT wear uniforms...and i don't care if its "for the better" because why would it matter anyway? Its not going to stop those students who violate the dress code, old or new.....please, just stop lecturing me on how this could work because it won't..period.
Susie

New Haven, CT

#19 Aug 6, 2007
Forbes wrote:
note to: Susie
mhmm...yea..ok....but im pretty sure that when you attended high school you DID NOT wear uniforms...and i don't care if its "for the better" because why would it matter anyway? Its not going to stop those students who violate the dress code, old or new.....please, just stop lecturing me on how this could work because it won't..period.
You are correct, it won't work because it won't be inforced. Public schools really don't have much clout when it comes to inforcing dress codes (other than barring obscene/inappropriate clothing on the grounds that it disturbs the teaching/learning process). That being said, the dress code, if it could be inforced would make everyone's life easier....
1. Parents save money
2. Kids don't have to worry if their clothes meet the standards of their friends...everyone is wearing the same thing.
And the list goes on....

Please don't mistake my comments for a lecture. I was merely pointing out the "pros" of a dress code, the stuff that everyone overlooks because they are so worried about the loss of self expression (which is silly).

PS I wish I did have to wear a uni in high school!

“Hey, I'm Jesse...”

EHCT

#20 Aug 7, 2007
Oh, I'm pretty sure you did "want uniforms." Whatever, thats why my town turned down the uniform idea. It was pointed out that they were NOT cost effective due to many homes have at least 2-3 children which need at least one week's worth of clothes, and still need to buy school supplies like notebooks, binders, pencils/pens, etc. and sneakers/shoes. Thats not including the LARGE percentage of families in poverty. Must I go on? Also, yes, when you're trying to tell me how this could work and that "clothes don't make the man", thats called lecturing. Do you actually know the meaning of the word? Let me tell you, it means to reprimand someone, or to rebuke someone, and that means to tell someone that his/her conduct or action is wrong, and don't deny you didn't. To add, I'm not just correct on how it won't work because of lack of interest or inforcement in the matter, but, the fact that uniforms suit nobody. If we all chose to wear the uniforms, we would be in a PRIVATE school, not a public school! So, in the end, majority will rule, and the uniform idea will be shoved out the window.
whatshanging

Longwood, FL

#21 Aug 7, 2007
Betty wrote:
I think the uniform dress code is a very smart idea my oldest child is 16 and shes ok with it she said " its ok i just get up in the morning and i know what i have to wear". I have a child in elementery and im paying for private school because of the dress code. The whole town of E.H should wear uniform....
Thank you
Betty I so agree. Kids should be concerned about school work then after school choose a desired OUTFIT to be popular and social..Otherwise we will have heavily made up, tattooed, pierced kids who love to hug and have sorrowful ceremonies with an overt of "soo sad" mentality that the guts and gumption to be pro active and it is the IDIOT PARENTS the bleeding heart morons who have taken cause to stagnant the self discipline we need to teach our off spring...otherwise we will be paying for it at the therapist and in college..

“Hey, I'm Jesse...”

EHCT

#22 Aug 7, 2007
Note to whatshanging of Tallahassee, FL

Look, I understand the fact that some people agree and disagree about this issue, but, come on now. What in world are you talking about? And, please don't say its southeren talk because I'll blow a stack...I know how people talk down there..
Anyway, the whole comment you wrote made no sense to me at all, except the beginning where you stated you agree with Betty. After that, you said something like "Otherwise we will have heavily made up, tattooed, pierced kids who love to hug and have sorrowful ceremonies with an overt of "soo sad" mentality that the guts and gumption to be pro active and it is the IDIOT PARENTS the bleeding heart morons who have taken cause to stagnant the self discipline we need to teach our off spring...otherwise we will be paying for it at the therapist and in college.."...can I get that in English? What do you mean bleeding heart morons? You know what, just stay in Tallahassee, FL and I'll stay here in East Hartford, CT...which by the way, SCRATCHED OUT the idea of uniforms!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Grey Ghost 1,395,154
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 60,094
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 7 hr TRD 70,727
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr Junket 311,338
News Connecticut News - State, National and Local Ne... (May '07) Jun 22 ladyslipper 156
CAR Accident on Friday April 22, 2016 Apr '16 MarcusT20073 1
In The War on Police Traffic Stops Have Become ... (Aug '15) Dec '15 Anthony Wall 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages