Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
41,061 - 41,080 of 68,900 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45294
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---Tell me (about) the MANY Jews who have NO religion, are they Jews? Reconcile your "ethnoreligious" with atheists Jews.
Former--They would be Jews ethnically but not in the religious sense.
HughBe---So how does being Jewish =ethnoreligious when there is NO religion period?
Former--Ask a more difficult question next time.
HughBe--- Please, let us stick to my simple questions. Please respond to them. Once again,reconcile your "ethnoreligious" with atheists Jews.
Are you a Religious atheist?
Former--Are you a Religious atheist?
HughBe--No. How could that be?
HughBe--- so, how can a great many Jews who are atheists and agnostics be ethnoreligious?
HughBe---What was the religion of the Northern tribes of Israel?
What was the religion of Israel before "Judaism"?
Former--Frijoles would know more about this than I would.
HughBe--- Do NOT participate in the deception. Being Jewish is RACIAL. They had the JEWISH identity long before they got "Judaism". So, religion is another matter and does NOT make them Jews. Atheists Jews and agnostic Jews are by definition IRRELIGIOUS and cannot be classified as ethnoreligious. Get it?
Former--I do know that Israel did not exist until 1948
HughBe--- You know very little, my friend.
THIRD TIME
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_g...

An ethnoreligious group (or ethno-religious group) is an ethnic group of people whose members are also unified by a common religious background.

Ethnoreligious communities define their ethnic identity NEITHER EXCLUSIVELY by ancestral heritage nor simply by religious affiliation, but often through a combination of both[citation needed](a long shared history; a cultural tradition of its own; either a common geographical origin, or descent from a small number of common ancestors; a common language, not necessarily peculiar to the group; a common literature peculiar to the group; a common religion different from that of neighbouring groups; being a minority or being an oppressed or a dominant group within a larger community).[citation needed]

Examples of ethnic groups defined by ancestral religions are the Jews, the Druze of the Levant, the Copts of Egypt, the Yazidi of northern Iraq, the Zoroastrians of Iran and India, and the Serer of Senegal, the Gambia and Mauritania.[1]

In an ethnoreligious group, particular emphasis is placed upon religious endogamy, and the concurrent discouragement of interfaith marriages or intercourse, as a means of preserving the stability and historical longevity of the community and culture.[citation needed] This adherence to religious endogamy can also, in some instances, be tied to ethnic nationalism if the ethnoreligious group possesses a historical base in a specific region.[citation needed]

----
Empahsis is CAPS added by me
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45295
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---I just posted a bunch of links that said that race was a sucky concept
HughBe--- So what? It is still a CONCEPT. Did this fact miss you, dear? Yes it did.
How many times must I tell you that I am NOT influenced by the opinions of men? I am yet to be impressed by them.
The point is, this is not the 1800s and it is silly to pretend it is so.

If you would like to have a conversation, you need to rejoin the rest of society.

What you are talking about is a mixture or culture and genetics

Hence the term ETHNO-RELIGOUS....

We are not measuring skull sizes and relating them to intelligence here...
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45296
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Lession for the day, I am NOT God. I can and do make mistakes. The fact that I make mistakes will not change the fact that there are very FOOLISH people in this world.
YOU obey such people and so you are acquainted with them personally or their teachings.
We know you are not God

We also know that usually you think you are God
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45297
Dec 12, 2012
 
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Why let facts get in the way of a good denial.
Are you trying to entice ATF back onto the forum with this post?
;-)
Either him or Seaside.

Diversity of topics is always good

My favorite part of the collumn was the acknowledgement that often a controversial paper will be selected for publishing - that flies in the face of those who claim otherwise.

One of the most cutting edge science magazines I get excells at this. http://www.conservationmagazine.org/

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45299
Dec 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Either him or Seaside.
Diversity of topics is always good
My favorite part of the collumn was the acknowledgement that often a controversial paper will be selected for publishing - that flies in the face of those who claim otherwise.
One of the most cutting edge science magazines I get excells at this. http://www.conservationmagazine.org/
Thanks for the link. Neat stuff there.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45300
Dec 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the link. Neat stuff there.
Its a really thought provoking magazine. Written subscription is about 20 bucks a year - a real bargain, considering. I never bother with the online version but I suspect they have more content.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45306
Dec 12, 2012
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
We know you are not God
We also know that usually you think you are God
1. I'm god.
2. WRONG, as usual.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45310
Dec 12, 2012
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, this is not the 1800s and it is silly to pretend it is so.
If you would like to have a conversation, you need to rejoin the rest of society.
What you are talking about is a mixture or culture and genetics
Hence the term ETHNO-RELIGOUS....
We are not measuring skull sizes and relating them to intelligence here...
Frijoles---I just posted a bunch of links that said that race was a sucky concept

HughBe--- So what? It is still a CONCEPT. Did this fact miss you, dear? Yes it did.
How many times must I tell you that I am NOT influenced by the opinions of men? I am yet to be impressed by them.

Frijoles---The point is, this is not the 1800s and it is silly to pretend it is so.

HughBe--- it is SILLY and patently STUPID to even suggest that the concept of RACE died out in the 1800s. Which world do you live in?

Right now in 2012 RACE is a MAJOR issue in America. Your ignorance of this fact is forgiven after all you live elsewhere.

Frijoles--If you would like to have a conversation, you need to rejoin the rest of society.

HughBe--- I'm not a club member and don't have that type of mindset.

Frijoles--What you are talking about is a mixture or culture and genetics

HughBe--- what is genetics? Is it BIOLOGY ? What is the meaning of MIXTURE? Could it be the combination of two or more things?

So you speak of MIXTURE and part of that MIX is RACE/genetics.

Frijoles---Hence the term ETHNO-RELIGOUS....

HughBe--- BS. It is a tool that is used to enslave others. I have demonstrated this countless times. You shall now be given the opportunity to do it yourself.

Tell me about the RELIGIOUS aspect of atheists, agnostics and other secular or non-RELIGIOUS Jews.

Do you suppose that the Jews in Jamaica observe the culture of Jamaica? What is culture?

Reconcile your make-belief with the reality.

Finally, are Muslims in Iran, Iraq, Egypt etc. or even in England ethnoreligious?
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45311
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I'm god.
2. WRONG, as usual.
Irony was never one of your strongest traits
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45312
Dec 12, 2012
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
THIRD TIME
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_g...
An ethnoreligious group (or ethno-religious group) is an ethnic group of people whose members are also unified by a common religious background.
Ethnoreligious communities define their ethnic identity NEITHER EXCLUSIVELY by ancestral heritage nor simply by religious affiliation, but often through a combination of both[citation needed](a long shared history; a cultural tradition of its own; either a common geographical origin, or descent from a small number of common ancestors; a common language, not necessarily peculiar to the group; a common literature peculiar to the group; a common religion different from that of neighbouring groups; being a minority or being an oppressed or a dominant group within a larger community).[citation needed]
Examples of ethnic groups defined by ancestral religions are the Jews, the Druze of the Levant, the Copts of Egypt, the Yazidi of northern Iraq, the Zoroastrians of Iran and India, and the Serer of Senegal, the Gambia and Mauritania.[1]
In an ethnoreligious group, particular emphasis is placed upon religious endogamy, and the concurrent discouragement of interfaith marriages or intercourse, as a means of preserving the stability and historical longevity of the community and culture.[citation needed] This adherence to religious endogamy can also, in some instances, be tied to ethnic nationalism if the ethnoreligious group possesses a historical base in a specific region.[citation needed]
----
Empahsis is CAPS added by me
Frijoles---"An ethnoreligious group (or ethno-religious group) is an ethnic group of people whose members are also UNIFIED by a common religious background."

HughBe--- Let me thank you for your words or quote above. Please explain to me how such a quote supports your point about Jews being an ethno-religious group.

HELP: Specifically, tell me how YOU and the other Judaites are UNIFIED in religion with other Jews who do NOT share your religious beliefs or who do NOT have any type of RELIGION e.g. ATHEISTS.

I wait with bated breath.

PS: I shall be using the UNIFIED in religion part in the future.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45313
Dec 12, 2012
 
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: yeah! you got them from the talking critters, like everyone else and their grandmother of all. as you have all been guilty of driving, under the influence of talking, editing, texting, and publishing critters.
When I made my comment, I was thinking about life in general and what to believe and what not to believe.

For example, I REJECT many of the teachings of the church that I currently attend.Why? Doctrines must harmonise with scriptures for me to accept them. In essence I don't follow or are influenced by others.

Beyond that I have observed that many "experts" are not genuine intelligence. What you have are people who study hard acquire knowledge but who lack genuine UNDERSTANDING.

The state of the nations tell you this. THere are those who sample 50 persons and then make generalize statements about over 300,000,000 persons. These are the "experts" that Frijoles respect but I deem them for what they are, FOOLS.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45314
Dec 12, 2012
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Irony was never one of your strongest traits
HughBe---
1. I'm god.
2. WRONG, as usual.

Frijoles--Irony was never one of your strongest traits

HughBe--- noted. Observation, subtlety is not your strong point.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45315
Dec 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

bye-Frijie.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45316
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---"An ethnoreligious group (or ethno-religious group) is an ethnic group of people whose members are also UNIFIED by a common religious background."
HughBe--- Let me thank you for your words or quote above. Please explain to me how such a quote supports your point about Jews being an ethno-religious group.
HELP: Specifically, tell me how YOU and the other Judaites are UNIFIED in religion with other Jews who do NOT share your religious beliefs or who do NOT have any type of RELIGION e.g. ATHEISTS.
I wait with bated breath.
PS: I shall be using the UNIFIED in religion part in the future.
It doesnt matter. Look up the meaning of either/or. If you are a jew, in most likelihood you either practice the religion OR are related to someone that does.

FR pretty much nailed it. Either you are religious, or you are ethnically, or both.

You are the ONLY person on this planet who refuses to believe this. Thats YOUR cognitive issue, not OURS.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45317
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Reconcile your make-belief with the reality.
Finally, are Muslims in Iran, Iraq, Egypt etc. or even in England ethnoreligious?
There are subgroups of muslims who are ethno-religious, but to be a muslim you dont necessarily have to be.

Ditto for Christians.

Both Islam and Christianity are religions of individuals, but that does not preclude an ethnic group from adopting some host version of that religion for their tribal group.

Wiki had some examples of this.

You would benefit to study the Social Sciences sometime - maybe start with Anthropology and then branch into Sociology.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45318
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---I just posted a bunch of links that said that race was a sucky concept
HughBe--- So what? It is still a CONCEPT. Did this fact miss you, dear? Yes it did.
How many times must I tell you that I am NOT influenced by the opinions of men? I am yet to be impressed by them.
Frijoles---The point is, this is not the 1800s and it is silly to pretend it is so.
HughBe--- it is SILLY and patently STUPID to even suggest that the concept of RACE died out in the 1800s. Which world do you live in?
Right now in 2012 RACE is a MAJOR issue in America. Your ignorance of this fact is forgiven after all you live elsewhere.
Race in that context is not really about race,(no social or biological scientist this century would call it as such).

What you are getting at is skin color.

Yes, discrimination on basis of skin color happens in the US. We are far from a perfect society.

Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45319
Dec 12, 2012
 
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
.HughBe--- what is genetics? Is it BIOLOGY ? What is the meaning of MIXTURE? Could it be the combination of two or more things?
So you speak of MIXTURE and part of that MIX is RACE/genetics.
You make no sense.

I think what you are referring to is "ancestry", which is a factor of genetics/relatedness.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45320
Dec 12, 2012
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_g...

The term "ethnoreligious" has been applied by at least one author to each of the following groups:

Alawis[15]
Amish[16]
Armenians[15]
Assyrians[17]
Bosniaks[18][19]
Circassians[15]
Copts[20]
Croats[21]
Druze[16]
Goan Catholics
Gorani
Hui people[22]
Jews
Crimean Karaites[23]
Malays[24][25][26][27][28]
Mandaeans
Mangalorean Catholics
Maronites[29]
Mennonites
Mormons[30]
Moro people
Parsi[31]
Rūm
Samaritans[32]
Serbs[21]
Serer people[1]
Sikhs
Somalis
Syrian Turkmens[15]
Waldensians[33]

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45321
Dec 12, 2012
 
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
There are subgroups of muslims who are ethno-religious, but to be a muslim you dont necessarily have to be.
Ditto for Christians.
Both Islam and Christianity are religions of individuals, but that does not preclude an ethnic group from adopting some host version of that religion for their tribal group.
Wiki had some examples of this.
You would benefit to study the Social Sciences sometime - maybe start with Anthropology and then branch into Sociology.
But apparently, Huggy learns everything he needs to know from these forums. Well, that and that mythology book.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45322
Dec 12, 2012
 
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
But apparently, Huggy learns everything he needs to know from these forums. Well, that and that mythology book.
I honestly wonder if he is one of those fundamentalists who would walk out of an Anthropology 100 lecture because the movie he is watching is the work of the devil.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min TSM 1,098,795
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 34 min YesWeCan 68,330
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 37 min SpaceBlues 46,244
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Ancient One 18,817
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Big Sky 305,423
Police: Suspect Tried To Strangle Woman (Mar '08) 23 hr Trisanot 166
Life is beachy for local gay community at New L... Mon IoanInPueblo 7

Search the Wethersfield Forum:
•••

Air Quality Alert for Hartford County was issued at August 27 at 5:19AM EDT

•••
•••
•••

Wethersfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Wethersfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wethersfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••