Newington Considering Weekly Early Dismissal In Schools For Teacher Training

May 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Hartford Courant

The board of education is considering instituting early dismissal once week at all town schools to allow for additional teacher training mandated by the state.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated May 29, 2013
newington resident

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

this is so wrong..teachers have enough time to do there training-what about winter,spring and summer vacation??? really???
Nutmegger

Corning, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Glastonbury's had early dismissal one day a week for the elementary schools for years & it's worked out fine. After school programs are provided for the children who wish to attend, which eliminates the need to arrange additional childcare. What's the big deal with Newington doing the same? Expecting teachers to give up their vacations is a selfish notion, because they're just as tired & in need of R&R as your children are. A teacher's workday doesn't end with the sounding of the last bell.
Newington resident

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

In your household does a single parent work or do both parents work ???Did you know the medium household income in Glastonbury is $ 98,411 versus $ 69,085 in Newington??? I work year around with only 3 weeks time off and my workday also doesn't end at 3:30 pm !
Nutmegger

Corning, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Newington resident wrote:
In your household does a single parent work or do both parents work ???Did you know the medium household income in Glastonbury is $ 98,411 versus $ 69,085 in Newington??? I work year around with only 3 weeks time off and my workday also doesn't end at 3:30 pm !
I was raised by a single mom who received $27 a week in child support (this was back in the 1960's), so paid childcare was out of the question. And she only had 2 weeks off for vacation each year.

I'm not trying to do one upmanship with you here, sorry if you misunderstood. The point that I'm trying to make is that G'Bury has had early dismissal one day a week for the elementary schools since at least the 1960's (when I attended elementary school there), and on those 1/2 days we were offered after school programs at no cost to the families, such as music, scouting, etc. Asking teachers to give up their vacation time would be akin to asking any adult to forfeit their hard-earned vacation time. People need to unwind.
Newington resident

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

1) I I have no sympathy for teachers as far as time off is concerned, they get plenty of time off. 2) there maybe be a cost to Newington families for these after school programs. The Board of Education has not figured out this piece yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min Grey Ghost 1,099,225
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Big Sky 305,434
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr danetoo 68,334
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr hsktommox 18,832
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr litesong 46,275
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 68,916
Police: Suspect Tried To Strangle Woman (Mar '08) 17 hr Confused 167
•••
•••
•••

Wethersfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE