Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1375176 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

PDUPONT

Chicopee, MA

#1029156 Nov 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Actually, this was a fairly good article on 7 ways to narrow the rich-poor gap.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/opinion/sutter-...
If anyone's interested. I agree with almost everything the columnist wrote.
Really Carol? You're for raising the minimum wage? Raising taxes on the wealthy? Strengthen unions? rein in the ability of the wealthy to pour vast amounts of money into elections? Are you turning into a progressive? I doubt it, I would guess that you're demonstrating your limited reading comprehension.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1029158 Nov 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I thought it was just another SNL joke when Al said he was going to run for office but now I suspect he may be one of the few men at the Capitol with a conscience. Granted, it may be only a small one but, hopefully, it will keep growing.
Franken is now joining a growing number of Senate Democrats to delay the mandate only because they are more concerned about losing their warm seats in Congress than the effects of this law on the rest of us.

It certainly wasn't a concern before. Franken, like all Democrats, didn't know - nor did they care - how this law was going to affect the rest of us and passed it anyway.

Make no mistake. Franken does nothing out of conscience. It's always about party loyalty and personal gain.

The Democrats would have already come to the table to reason out changes in the law with bipartisan agreement and solutions this time otherwise.

What are they doing instead? Obama and his minions are digging in their heels even more and the rest are freaking out - not because the rest of us are freaking out - but because they see their precious warm and cushy seats being snatched out from under them next year.

Sad, but true.
PDUPONT

Chicopee, MA

#1029159 Nov 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
The latest U.S. Census data says many New Yorkers are living in poverty...and the number of city residents living below the poverty level is on the rise.
http://www.ny1.com/content/news/189052/census...
Aren't most New Yorkers staunch Democrats? Led by Democrats? And support Obama's policies?
Sure Carol, NYC hasn't had a Democratic mayor since David Dinkins, 20 years ago. Before you go picking on NYC let's take a look at other metropolitan areas with even higher poverty levels.
Brownsville Harlingen, Texas ; Poverty rate: 36.3 percent
McAllen Edinburg-Mission, Texas; Poverty rate: 33.4 percent
Tallahassee, Florida; Poverty rate: 25.7 percent
Pine Bluff Arkansas; Poverty rate: 24.4%
Fort Smith Arkansas-Oklahoma; Poverty rate 22.6%
Aren't all these areas in red states run by Republicans? Let's look at some other cities.
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Massachusetts; Poverty rate 10.07%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont California; Poverty rate 11.9%
Bridgeport-Norwalk- Stamford Connecticut; Poverty rate 8.9%
Aren't these blue areas run by Democrats?
If you look at individual states you'll see that some of the poorest areas are in red states like Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.
Mr Transparency

Morehead, KY

#1029160 Nov 23, 2013

Orlando, FL

#1029161 Nov 23, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Really Carol? You're for raising the minimum wage? Raising taxes on the wealthy? Strengthen unions? rein in the ability of the wealthy to pour vast amounts of money into elections? Are you turning into a progressive? I doubt it, I would guess that you're demonstrating your limited reading comprehension.
I agree with #1. Don't agree with #2 and closing private schools unless, perhaps, public schools are free of PC poisoning and union dominance. Agree with #3 within reason based on the rising costs of living. Don't agree with #4. Throwing more money at a problem doesn't fix the problem, something we never seem to learn. Tax reform is the only fix. Agree with #5,#6 and #7.

Why I said I agree with almost everything in the article.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/opinion/sutter-...

Morning, PDupont.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1029162 Nov 23, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the typical liberal mentality allows them to believe that cheating is an acceptable means to achieve their goals....
But only when their side does it.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1029163 Nov 23, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish just one of them would speak out against the "Knock Out" game.
It won't happen until/unless blacks start getting "knocked out".

Orlando, FL

#1029164 Nov 23, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
your SS would be significantly higher if you worked till your full retirement age...and the prospect of severe inflation is real...
It wasn't a choice. Trust me. My job required a lot of mental focus and accuracy. Which would have been fine had I not been switched to specialties even more demanding four years ago. After 14 years of transcribing and, at my age, my brain began to rebel.

Nothing I could do about it or I would have. Being a perfectionist has its price - stress and getting burned out.

Sorry to disappoint but I already know the feeling.
DEM COPY TED CRUZ

Holly Springs, NC

#1029165 Nov 23, 2013
NOW THEY HAVE FOUND OUT THE TEA PARTY IS RIGHT!!

Al Franken:'We Have to Consider Extending the Deadline for the Mandate'
4:24 PM, Nov 22, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER

Send to Kindle
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts

Minnesota senator Al Franken, a Democrat, opens the door to a delay of the Obamacare individual mandate in an interview with Minnesota Public Radio.

The Washington Post reports:

Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) says he would be open to a brief delay in the individual mandate if the problems with HealthCare.gov aren't fixed by the end of the month, according to Minnesota Public Radio.

"I think then we have to consider extending the deadline for the mandate, but let’s hope that doesn't happen," Franken told MPR.

Franken has so far been relatively quiet about potential changes to the health-care law, but he now joins a growing group of Senate Democrats in seats that could be targeted by the GOP in 2014 who are speaking up on the issue.

Orlando, FL

#1029167 Nov 23, 2013
But may I just share something that popped into my head last night?

As strong as my beliefs are about abortion, they are just as strong about forgiveness as women often struggle emotionally after an abortion.

Something I should have said every time the topic came up.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1029168 Nov 23, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text> son, you can rattle and prattle at will. That I have no doubt. Making sense is another matter.
You are so cute when you talk to yourself in the mirror.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1029169 Nov 23, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
"You're for raising the minimum wage?"

Fine, within reason.

"Raising taxes on the wealthy?"

"Many people think that the rich are able to weasel their way out of taxes, but they actually pay an overwhelming majority of the taxes in the United States.

What's more, their share of the tax burden is increasing.

The top 10 percent of taxpayers paid over 70% of the total amount collected in federal income taxes in 2010, the latest year figures are available, according to the Tax Foundation, a think tank that advocates for lower taxes. That's up from 55% in 1986.

The remaining 90% bore just under 30% of the tax burden. And 47% of all Americans pay hardly anything at all -- a fact that got Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney into political hot water last year."

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/12/news/economy/...

How much in taxes do you expect the wealthy to pay?

"Strengthen unions?"

Unions have long outlived the need for them. Now they do nothing but steal money from workers and defend the lazy.

" rein in the ability of the wealthy to pour vast amounts of money into elections?"

Are you implying that this is one sided?

Orlando, FL

#1029170 Nov 23, 2013
DEM COPY TED CRUZ wrote:
NOW THEY HAVE FOUND OUT THE TEA PARTY IS RIGHT!!
Al Franken:'We Have to Consider Extending the Deadline for the Mandate'
4:24 PM, Nov 22, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
Send to Kindle
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts
Minnesota senator Al Franken, a Democrat, opens the door to a delay of the Obamacare individual mandate in an interview with Minnesota Public Radio.
The Washington Post reports:
Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) says he would be open to a brief delay in the individual mandate if the problems with HealthCare.gov aren't fixed by the end of the month, according to Minnesota Public Radio.
"I think then we have to consider extending the deadline for the mandate, but let’s hope that doesn't happen," Franken told MPR.
Franken has so far been relatively quiet about potential changes to the health-care law, but he now joins a growing group of Senate Democrats in seats that could be targeted by the GOP in 2014 who are speaking up on the issue.
They are changing gears and going in reverse - not because they know the Tea Party and Ted Cruz was right (and they would never admit that anyway) but because the harsh reality of Obamacare has set in - something that eluded them until now - and it is affecting and threatening their positions of power.

Franken is another liberal who thinks himself and his party are the only considerations in the whole scheme of things.

They know what's best, after all, and must remain in power to enforce their will on the rest of us at all costs.
Waxman

New York, NY

#1029171 Nov 23, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure Carol, NYC hasn't had a Democratic mayor since David Dinkins, 20 years ago. Before you go picking on NYC let's take a look at other metropolitan areas with even higher poverty levels.
Brownsville Harlingen, Texas ; Poverty rate: 36.3 percent
McAllen Edinburg-Mission, Texas; Poverty rate: 33.4 percent
Tallahassee, Florida; Poverty rate: 25.7 percent
Pine Bluff Arkansas; Poverty rate: 24.4%
Fort Smith Arkansas-Oklahoma; Poverty rate 22.6%
Aren't all these areas in red states run by Republicans? Let's look at some other cities.
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Massachusetts; Poverty rate 10.07%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont California; Poverty rate 11.9%
Bridgeport-Norwalk- Stamford Connecticut; Poverty rate 8.9%
Aren't these blue areas run by Democrats?
If you look at individual states you'll see that some of the poorest areas are in red states like Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.
Whoa, scatterbrained libtard!

Carol was talking about NYC, not all your cherry picked cities.

The mayor in NYC is not a dictator like Obama tries to be.

The Council comes up with the final budget just like everywhere else and they have a large council:

48 Democrats
4 Republicans

http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.s...

Orlando, FL

#1029172 Nov 23, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text> it would appear some are correct. That Reich wingers are acting like they're the weaker party...
They're acting like the minority trying to rein in a power hungry and out of control majority.

Orlando, FL

#1029173 Nov 23, 2013
Going to be out and about this morning and feeling better today.

So...later.

(Beautiful morning in Central Florida, by the way.)
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1029174 Nov 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't a choice. Trust me. My job required a lot of mental focus and accuracy. Which would have been fine had I not been switched to specialties even more demanding four years ago. After 14 years of transcribing and, at my age, my brain began to rebel.
Nothing I could do about it or I would have. Being a perfectionist has its price - stress and getting burned out.
Sorry to disappoint but I already know the feeling.
Pretty hard to do a satisfactory job for your employer when you're watching TV, researching the right wing sites and posting gibberish on topix.

Don't feel too guilty babe, plenty of others here doing the same.

More exciting than solitaire I suppose.
GOPidiots

United States

#1029175 Nov 23, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Franken is now joining a growing number of Senate Democrats to delay the mandate only because they are more concerned about losing their warm seats in Congress than the effects of this law on the rest of us.
It certainly wasn't a concern before. Franken, like all Democrats, didn't know - nor did they care - how this law was going to affect the rest of us and passed it anyway.
Make no mistake. Franken does nothing out of conscience. It's always about party loyalty and personal gain.
The Democrats would have already come to the table to reason out changes in the law with bipartisan agreement and solutions this time otherwise.
What are they doing instead? Obama and his minions are digging in their heels even more and the rest are freaking out - not because the rest of us are freaking out - but because they see their precious warm and cushy seats being snatched out from under them next year.
Sad, but true.
Yawn
How has the law affected you personally, or anyone you know?
DEMidiots

Satellite Beach, FL

#1029176 Nov 23, 2013
GOPidiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn
How has the law affected you personally, or anyone you know?
Go back to bed; by the time you get up ObamaSCARE will have been repealed, you jackazz.
PAY BACKS ARE HELL

Holly Springs, NC

#1029179 Nov 23, 2013
Reid, Democrats trigger ‘nuclear’ option; eliminate most filibusters on nominees
By Paul Kane, Published: November 21
Senate Democrats took the dramatic step Thursday of eliminating filibusters for most nominations by presidents, a power play they said was necessary to fix a broken system but one that Republicans said will only rupture it further.
Democrats used a rare parliamentary move to change the rules so that federal judicial nominees and executive-office appointments can advance to confirmation votes by a simple majority of senators, rather than the 60-vote supermajority that has been the standard for nearly four decades.
The immediate rationale for the move was to allow the confirmation of three picks by President Obama to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit — the most recent examples of what Democrats have long considered unreasonably partisan obstruction by Republicans.
In the long term, the rule change represents a substantial power shift in a chamber that for more than two centuries has prided itself on affording more rights to the minority party than any other legislative body in the world. Now, a president whose party holds the majority in the Senate is virtually assured of having his nominees approved, with far less opportunity for political obstruction.
The main combatants Thursday were the chamber’s two chiefs, Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who have clashed for several years over Republican filibusters of Obama’s agenda and nominees.
Reid said the chamber “must evolve” beyond parliamentary roadblocks.“The American people believe the Senate is broken, and I believe the American people are right,” he said, adding:“It’s time to get the Senate working again.”
McConnell linked the rule change to the methods used to approve Obama’s health-care law solely with Democratic votes. The normally reserved GOP leader paced at his desk during his speech, often turning his back to Democrats to address only his fellow Republicans.
“It’s a sad day in the history of the Senate,” McConnell told reporters, calling the move a Democratic “power grab.”
The clash ended with a vote nearly as partisan as the times — 52 to 48, with all but three Democrats backing the move and every Republican opposing it.
The vote was the culmination of more than 25 years of feuding over nominations, beginning with President Ronald Reagan’s choices for the Supreme Court and including Obama’s picks for obscure federal regulatory agencies. Each side in Thursday’s debate cited its own statistics to state its case.
Democrats said the attempted filibusters of Chuck Hagel during his confirmation hearing to become defense secretary, a first for any nominee to lead the Pentagon — as well as a blockade of picks to head the National Labor Relations Board and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — exceeded anything Democrats did when they were in the minority. In addition, Democrats charged that Republicans didn’t even have substantive objections to the D.C. Circuit nominees they filibustered.
After the vote, Obama told reporters at the White House that Republicans had turned nomination fights into a “reckless and relentless tool” to grind the gears of government to a halt and noted that “neither party has been blameless for these tactics.” However, he said,“today’s pattern of obstruction .&#8201;.&#8201;. just isn’t normal; it’s not what our founders envisioned.”
Republicans countered that they had confirmed 99 percent of Obama’s judicial selections. McConnell accused Democrats of eyeing the D.C. Circuit in an effort to stack the court, which reviews many cases related to federal laws and regulations, to tilt its balance in a liberal direction.

“The solution to this problem is at the ballot box,” he said.“We look forward to having a great election in 2014.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min Three Days 310,996
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min Denny CranesPlace 58,871
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Another Black kil... 20,204
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 70,472
How DEPRESSING is it living in The State Of Con... 13 hr CT Tax Payer 860 1
News Trump Brings Fiery Message To Thousands in Hart... Mon Teri 17
so who is going to be the next president??? May 1 Teri 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages