Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1276050 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Jane Says

New York, NY

#918526 Jun 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Most likely leftwing affirmative action trash.
they were in the news this morning: Shytique Kelly, Jazmin Guillebeaux and Tysheen Coackley. the article said they all went to harvard but their records are sealed.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#918527 Jun 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I just get tired of all the rightwing lies. I will chill out.
translation: the coffee truck just pulled up out front
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#918528 Jun 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>The Daily Caller and Fox News are getting their data from the same source, they are just misrepresenting their findings, IE he was cleared for 157 visits but in fact only visited 11 times in 4 years, are you going to argue with them too?
That would be according to the White House. Very little credibility there.

Maybe the clearings for the other 145 were done through the secret e-mail accounts that it appears that so many in this administration use to avoid accountability to the public.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#918529 Jun 4, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>What I'm doing is giving both Zimmerman and Martin equal footing. Neither knew each other and neither knew if the other belonged there.
Neither spoke to each other and so both were on a level playing field.
When Martin ran, Zimmerman assumed he was some sort of criminal in his neighborhood. If Martin saw him, he had no idea why he was being chased, or how many were chasing him.
This is where the gray area comes into play. Somewhere along the line the two met and a struggle ensued. No one will ever really know what happened, but we do know one person was carrying a weapon and used it to kill the other.
If Martin had a weapon and used it while being chased, he would have been within his rights to defend himself and could very well have been the last man standing and we'd have a role reversal of the same problem.
I can understand you position since you've been through your situation. But if the person your husband was chasing was a visitor and armed and actually shot your husband in 'self defense,' would you be able to accept this as part of the law?
If you're attacked, I believe you have the right to defend yourself. At the same time, I don't believe the last man standing has more rights than the person who was shot either.
There has got to be balance......
In California a person could not get away with shooting someone just because they were confronted about their presence in the neighborhood or they merely felt threatened. California law is pretty specific, self-defense can only be used if you were in fact physically assaulted or threatened inside your home. In California, if you can walk away from a confrontation...you better do so. To do anything else is not considered the act of a "reasonable" person. Basically, you "can not use more force than you were threatened with." I can't even imagine what our homicide rate would be if we initiated a law like Florida's. Scary to think of.

As far as Martin/Zimemrman is concerned, it works both ways. Your logic seems to dictate the person shot should not have more rights than the last man standing. If both were acting in self-defense under Florida law (admittedly, that has not been determined) doesn't Trayvon's death result in a terrible tragedy rather than a crime? Honestly, Florida's law is as much the shooter as Zimmerman. Even Florida's judges and prosecutors can't come to agreement on what is justified and what isn't. I'm surprised the law has survived this long.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#918530 Jun 4, 2013
Old Crazy Goober wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you drink too much very often?
Do you try to think too much very often son?

You should start.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#918531 Jun 4, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>'Blacks are 66 percent of all violent-crime suspects, according to the victims of and witnesses to those crimes.
Blacks commit around 70 percent of all robberies and about 80 percent of all shootings in the city.
Add Hispanic shooters, and you account for 98 percent of all shootings in the city.
“Whites, by contrast, were only 5 percent of all violent crime suspects in 2011. According to victim and witness reports, they commit barely over 1 percent of all shootings and less than 5 percent of all robberies.”
Read more: A taste of our future - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolu...
Wasn't the recent Ricin-laced letter writers, Newtown school shooter the Boston Marathon bombers, the Unabomber, Timothy McVeigh and his brother, all white? It seems that serial killers, mass shooters, and terrorist bombers are mostly white people.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#918532 Jun 4, 2013
Leggy Mountbatten wrote:
<quoted text>
If the failure in chief Oblamer would ever propose anything helpful I'm sure they'd be happy to help. However, all Oblamer proposes is bad.
having no prior real world experience other than as a community organizer, O'blamer has no clue how to lead except to behave arrogantly when others do not agree with him. then the only plan he has is to blame and vilify. and the lapdog media goes along, because he's fulfilled their white guilt lib fantasies. or, as Jeebus first correctly put it here: "yep, they just wanted to elect a black man."

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#918533 Jun 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Claims of efficiency are no excuse for avoiding government transparency and preservation of government records.
Life is a bitch.
It's a shame that you never told that to Bush43 and Cheney.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#918534 Jun 4, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't the recent Ricin-laced letter writers, Newtown school shooter the Boston Marathon bombers, the Unabomber, Timothy McVeigh and his brother, all white? It seems that serial killers, mass shooters, and terrorist bombers are mostly white people.
a mere drop in the bucket compared to the every day, every minute black on black slaughter in their neighborhoods.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#918535 Jun 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
Homer starting to question Shulman didn't visit with the president more often.
maybe because Obama wasn't in the White House either? he be golfin', campaigin', vacationin' and shit.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#918536 Jun 4, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The defense is not using "stand your ground", at least at present.
Their defense is straightforward self-defense.
That's not the way I understand it but I could be mistaken. Zimmerman merely waived his right to a "Stand Your Ground" immunity hearing that would have allowed a judge to make a decision in his case. The "Stand Your Ground" law will still be used in his defense....or so I have been led to believe.

Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara, stated: "We'd much rather have the jury address the issue of criminal liability or lack thereof."
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#918537 Jun 4, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
In California a person could not get away with shooting someone just because they were confronted about their presence in the neighborhood or they merely felt threatened. California law is pretty specific, self-defense can only be used if you were in fact physically assaulted or threatened inside your home. In California, if you can walk away from a confrontation...you better do so. To do anything else is not considered the act of a "reasonable" person. Basically, you "can not use more force than you were threatened with." I can't even imagine what our homicide rate would be if we initiated a law like Florida's. Scary to think of.
As far as Martin/Zimemrman is concerned, it works both ways. Your logic seems to dictate the person shot should not have more rights than the last man standing. If both were acting in self-defense under Florida law (admittedly, that has not been determined) doesn't Trayvon's death result in a terrible tragedy rather than a crime? Honestly, Florida's law is as much the shooter as Zimmerman. Even Florida's judges and prosecutors can't come to agreement on what is justified and what isn't. I'm surprised the law has survived this long.
And if that's the case, then Florida needs to come to a happy medium where no one is happy.

If law enforcement, prosecutors and defense attorney's are confused, it can only breed more confusion and trouble.

So is this event a tragedy? Possibly. Will it be corrected going forward? I hope so.
TheIndependentMa jority

Hazard, KY

#918538 Jun 4, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't the recent Ricin-laced letter writers, Newtown school shooter the Boston Marathon bombers, the Unabomber, Timothy McVeigh and his brother, all white? It seems that serial killers, mass shooters, and terrorist bombers are mostly white people.
Irrelevent- sick in the head extremism is sick in the head extremism.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#918539 Jun 4, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be flockin' stealing OR tresspassing on other peoples stuff-and you'll be less likely to have to worry about such.
DUH. Blockhead meet bonehead!
"Stuff" can be replaced. A life can't. Only a bonehead would be trying to justify indescriminate killing over one's "stuff".

Like Yeah said, you people seem determined to return us to the days of the wild west and hangman's nooses for horse stealing. Sort of goes with the conservative quest to return us to the days of the Congressional Congress. Your concept of progress isn't progress at all.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#918540 Jun 4, 2013
are you joking or stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the country that Obama stated we support and that are our greatest ally and yet our government published construction details for their TOP SECRET missile base. Now why on Earth would they be so worried about us under this administration that they would want to keep an eye on us? Go figure.
Israel has been spying on us for decades. It's nothing new.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#918542 Jun 4, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>And if that's the case, then Florida needs to come to a happy medium where no one is happy.
If law enforcement, prosecutors and defense attorney's are confused, it can only breed more confusion and trouble.
So is this event a tragedy? Possibly. Will it be corrected going forward? I hope so.
Agreed.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#918543 Jun 4, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>having no prior real world experience other than as a community organizer, O'blamer has no clue how to lead except to behave arrogantly when others do not agree with him. then the only plan he has is to blame and vilify. and the lapdog media goes along, because he's fulfilled their white guilt lib fantasies. or, as Jeebus first correctly put it here: "yep, they just wanted to elect a black man."
Romney's experience....

"I stand by what I said, whatever it was..."

priceless... and clueless!!!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#918544 Jun 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>They should not have. Republican Governor Kean in NJ appointed a Republican in 1982 after the Democrat resigned.
Some states have laws requiring the Governor to appoint a Senator of the same party as the deceased or resigned Senator.

Change the law if you think that is the correct approach.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#918545 Jun 4, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Because the entire line of questioning is beyond asinine, who gives a sh!t. Homer would have responded the same way. Fck the Republicans and their witch hunts.
Your poor witch is going to get a broom shoved up her....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#918546 Jun 4, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't the recent Ricin-laced letter writers, Newtown school shooter the Boston Marathon bombers, the Unabomber, Timothy McVeigh and his brother, all white? It seems that serial killers, mass shooters, and terrorist bombers are mostly white people.
Jean from Queens provides no data to support this charge.

Many ghetto drive-by shooters are likely serial killers/mass murderers.

And Muslim dogs don't count as "white."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr IBdaMann 54,515
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr RoSesz 310,231
News More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) 12 hr Bob 291
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr VINNY DINARDI 20,102
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Sun TRD 70,159
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Aug 27 Norbert of Norview 71,944
In The War on Police Traffic Stops Have Become ... Aug 26 Culture Auditor 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages