A Nostalgic Trip Back To The North End's 'Old Neighborhood'

Full story: Hartford Courant
Reading "Remembering The Old Neighborhood" was like taking a walk back into my family's past in Hartford's North End. Full Story
fenster

Windsor, CT

#1 Jul 17, 2009
except in those days you could walk through the neighborhood. now....... oh well, it's diversity
Nostalgia

Beverly, MA

#2 Jul 27, 2009
Oh, my gosh. We just buried my mother in Cedar Hill. She was the last living relative of that generation who grew up in Hartford during the depression; she attended Weaver High. The ethnic culture of her neighborhood remained a lifelong influence.
I remember Hartford...G Fox, Sage Allen and Brown Thompson's...the fine restaurants and fancy waiters. Honiss' Fish House. Excellent.
Christmas displays on the 11th floor. Christ Church Cathedral. The Planter's peanut store...hot and fresh.
Pizza and baked goods from the north end.
Then, Windsor Street via Blue Hills Avenue in the summer, with everyone hanging out of the windows...where did everyone go when they tore down that section of town?
Mark Twain School for me...and then getting out...to West Hartford. A new and better life, but my roots and my heart will always be in Hartford, my family's home and my first home.
In recent years, a return to Hartford Hospital, birthplace to several in our family, I found the same wonderful care I recall when I gave birth to our first child there. Nothing has changed...except that I have read the surrounding neighborhood has deteriorated to violence.
Hartford was my first home....my only home.
Donna

Medford, MA

#4 Feb 19, 2011
Like you I remember Hartford the way it used to be. I was born in Hartford Hospital in 1956. My mother and I used to love to shop at G. Fox, Sage Allen, Brown Thompson in the sixties. Honiss' Fish House and the Last National Bank were places I went with my boyfriends for dinner dates. Mad Murphys was great for music, my favorite club, along with the 880 Club for jazz and the Rocking Horse. In the summer there were music festivals in Bushnell Park. Most of these places are gone now or have changed. Now I live in the Boston area too, like you do. Thanks for bringing back the good memories!
Nostalgia wrote:
Oh, my gosh. We just buried my mother in Cedar Hill. She was the last living relative of that generation who grew up in Hartford during the depression; she attended Weaver High. The ethnic culture of her neighborhood remained a lifelong influence.
I remember Hartford...G Fox, Sage Allen and Brown Thompson's...the fine restaurants and fancy waiters. Honiss' Fish House. Excellent.
Christmas displays on the 11th floor. Christ Church Cathedral. The Planter's peanut store...hot and fresh.
Pizza and baked goods from the north end.
Then, Windsor Street via Blue Hills Avenue in the summer, with everyone hanging out of the windows...where did everyone go when they tore down that section of town?
Mark Twain School for me...and then getting out...to West Hartford. A new and better life, but my roots and my heart will always be in Hartford, my family's home and my first home.
In recent years, a return to Hartford Hospital, birthplace to several in our family, I found the same wonderful care I recall when I gave birth to our first child there. Nothing has changed...except that I have read the surrounding neighborhood has deteriorated to violence.
Hartford was my first home....my only home.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#5 Feb 21, 2011
I am very happy to know about these memories you all have spent and no doubt memories are made to remain in hearts and they are still there for long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RUSH10ME 1,174,267
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min SpaceBlues 50,475
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr R C Honey 308,051
missing my daughters Thu paulacasey 1
DCF Protest in CT & We want your stories!!! (Jul '12) Thu paulacasey 45
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Thu Uzi 69,017
Connecticut News - State, National and Local Ne... (Mar '07) Thu Malishx 33

Winter Storm Watch for Hartford County was issued at January 31 at 4:57AM EST

Wethersfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance