Wethersfield To Vote May 12 On Land Deal

Wethersfield To Vote May 12 On Land Deal

There are 7 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Wethersfield To Vote May 12 On Land Deal. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The town council Monday set May 12 as the date for a referendum on the purchase of 81 acres of Wilkus Farm land to be used as open space.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

The Onion Maiden

Newington, CT

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Is this the time to doing this and is this the property to be doing it with? Can someone in the know explain to me whether or not this purchase will use up all the money in the fund? If so, are we going to approve many more millions to buy up other more visible farm land in town when that becomes available, such as Anderson and or Morris Farms?
Mayor 420

Meriden, CT

#2 Apr 7, 2009
This purchase would use up all of the money that was authorized in 2006 and would significantly deplete either the agricultural preservation fund or the open space fund. The people speaking in favor of it at the first Council meeting obviously see it as the beginning of a series of bond authorizations that will allow the town to buy the Kycia farm and the Anderson and Morris farms.

The real irony is that this is being proposed at the same time the town manager is putting every other program on a pay as you go basis, eliminating all funding for the nature center and cutting out employees in the youth services and park and rec departments. The people on Windmill Hill will have a beautiful sunset and can listen to the birds but the rest of town will be driving on roads with potholes and wondering which day the library will be open.
workingstiff

Bristol, CT

#3 Apr 7, 2009
Unfortunately, we cannot always wait for the time to be right to act. I believe that's why we passed the referendum in 2006; so we could be ready to purchase open space when the opportunity presented itself. I think we are being penny-wise and pound-foolish if we do not purchase this property. I'm not in the know so I can't answer the second question but I don't think there is an actual fund sitting around. I think we will be taking out a bond. Lastly, I do think at some point in the perhaps distant future there will be another referendum to purchase more land as it becomes available. It would be the wise thing to do.
Mayor 420

Meriden, CT

#4 Apr 7, 2009
There are two small funds, totalling about $600K. The rest of the money would have to come from bonds.

The flip side of the penny-wise pound-foolish argument is that the town is paying significantly more than even what the questionable appraisal says the property is worth.
enough said

AOL

#5 Apr 7, 2009
the town should fix the sidewalks in front of the Town Hall on Silas Deane Highway - they are uneven,crooked, during the winter they were a sheet of ice because of poor water runoff bricks are cracked, the grass adjacent is torn up because the town used tractors instead of snowblowers - looks like crap and wethersfield spent how much money on the town hall/library project?
Stephen Mix Mitchell

Newington, CT

#6 Apr 8, 2009
I heard yesterday that the town is considering closing Mill Woods for the summer due to lack of funds. If that is true, I really don't think we need to be taking on more debt to purchase additional land that we will have trouble taking care of.
Sir Sparky

Wethersfield, CT

#7 Apr 17, 2009
This John Miller guy is into this issue for one reason only........MONEY. As the saying goes.....follow the money John. That is what you are doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,419,202
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 59 min Brian_G 61,049
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr zef 311,625
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Hipocrit 20,505
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Fri Ize Found 70,952
Chris Powell Editor of the JI investigated for ... Aug 22 HCourantsub 1
News SEA CLIFF: Paramedic arrested on child harm cha... (Jun '08) Aug 21 Greg 55

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages