State jobless rate inches up

State jobless rate inches up

There are 25 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Sep 18, 2009, titled State jobless rate inches up. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Labor officials say Connecticut's unemployment rate increased to 8.1 percent in August as the state lost 3,700 jobs, mostly in the hospitality, government and financial activities sectors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Morris, CT

#2 Sep 18, 2009
Sept seventh wrote:
am close to exhausting my 13 weeks of Extended Benefits (EB). Are there any additional extensions of unemployment insurance?
No.

The 7 week extension was "missed" by 0.06%. According to the CT DOL.
politicians

Farmington, CT

#3 Sep 18, 2009
Love the work, but there's not enough to keep me busy, on average, i have about 1-2 days of real work in a week . For example, I have exactly NOTHING to do. I plan to keep myself busy practicing c++. Makes it hard to get going in the morning.
taxpayer

Trumbull, CT

#4 Sep 18, 2009
In may of 09 Connecticut had 1,644,000 people employed. The state dol says that is 7.9% unemployment. In june of 09 connecticut had 1,636,200 people employed; a loss of 7,800 jobs. The state says unemployment DID NOT CHANGE,but remained at 7.9%.In July of 09 connecticut had 1,634,000 people employed; alose of 2,200 jobs. The state dol says UNEMPLOYMENT DROPPED(improved) to 7.8%. In august of 09 Connecticut had 1,630,800 people employed. The state dol says that is 8.1% unemployment. All these numbers are from the dol web site; they are net. If anyone out their can tell me how we lose 10,000 jobs net and have the rate go DOWN FROM 7.9 TO 7.8 I'd love to hear it. LAST CHANCE; cONGRESSMAN jIM mCdERMOTT of Washington has introduced HR 3548 a bill to Extend unemployment benefits(EB) for another 13 weeks.THE CATCH; iT CURRENTLY HAS A "TRIGGER" OF THREE MONTHS AT 8.5%.wE NEED THE CONNECTICUT DELEGATION TO GET INVOLVED AND HAVE CONNECTICUT INCLUDED. Either an 8.00% one month or maybe what is fairer.Just extend the benefits to all states NOW!!!!!! We don't need to hear about Nancy's Jets, Wall St. bailout,Acorn, G.M., and the billions himes, Delauro etc are giving to every freeloader in the country. NEED THEM TO ACT FOR CONNECTICUT TAXPAYES WHO HAVE WORKED THEIR WHOLE LIVES TO SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES, STATE, CAN COUNTRY. If you can't help them I don' t want to hear about your reelection.
Former Mayor

Ronkonkoma, NY

#5 Sep 18, 2009
politicians wrote:
Love the work, but there's not enough to keep me busy, on average, i have about 1-2 days of real work in a week . For example, I have exactly NOTHING to do. I plan to keep myself busy practicing c++. Makes it hard to get going in the morning.
I hear ya it was great pay end benefits but it's got boring after awhile playing poker on my laptop, atleast when i went out on the city paid lunch it sometimes made it all seem worth the while ..

J GANIM
So True

Ronkonkoma, NY

#6 Sep 18, 2009
Now know why people rob banks NO HELP from your local goverment , they just sit on their throne with their ego and don't care about the well being of their citizens !

Since: Mar 09

Centereach, NY

#8 Sep 18, 2009
So True wrote:
Now know why people rob banks NO HELP from your local goverment , they just sit on their throne with their ego and don't care about the well being of their citizens !
No, they just sit there and play solitare on their computer!
politicians

Farmington, CT

#9 Sep 18, 2009
Think of it this way the farmer is alone in the field and has busted his/her a$$ all day to bring in the CROP, does anyone tell them they did well? NO.
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#10 Sep 18, 2009
Sept seventh wrote:
am close to exhausting my 13 weeks of Extended Benefits (EB). Are there any additional extensions of unemployment insurance?
Connecticut has the potential to trigger onto 7 more weeks of federal Extended Benefits if the state’s unemployment rate averages 8% or more over a consecutive three month time period. Currently CT HAS NOT triggered onto an extension.
IT ALL FRIGGIN FIXED NOW THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY OUT AGAIN , WHERE ARE THE JOBS , THIS STATE IS THE RICHEST AND THE CHEAPEST , YOU PAY ALL THE TAX AND FRIGGIN WHORE UP ON HER THRONE DOES NOTHING BUT TALK ABOUT HER UGLY GRANDCHILDREN !
Many unemployed people choose to sit on their throne at home waiting for a job to come to them. Begin your job search when your benefits start, not when they are going to end. That includes looking in another state. Will this teach some people to "save for a rainy day" while you are working?
Rich and Spoiled

Ronkonkoma, NY

#11 Sep 18, 2009
pwilson wrote:
<quoted text>Many unemployed people choose to sit on their throne at home waiting for a job to come to them. Begin your job search when your benefits start, not when they are going to end. That includes looking in another state. Will this teach some people to "save for a rainy day" while you are working?
You have NO clue old man sit home and collect your pension you shouldn't being commenting on the subject , go ride your Harley !

Morris, CT

#12 Sep 18, 2009
pwilson wrote:
<quoted text>Many unemployed people choose to sit on their throne at home waiting for a job to come to them. Begin your job search when your benefits start, not when they are going to end. That includes looking in another state. Will this teach some people to "save for a rainy day" while you are working?
Wilson, honest to goodness, sometimes you come up with the most ridiculous statements.

I cannot believe you really think that someone who has worked hard all their lives and has a family to support would not be out there every single day looking for a job.

Incredible, Wilson...just incredible...
politicians

Farmington, CT

#13 Sep 18, 2009
It's farmers vs fish for california water

Morris, CT

#14 Sep 18, 2009
A ray of hope:
CT, other states press for jobless aid extension

Today

Gov. M. Jodi Rell said today that she has joined 21 other governors in urging top congressional leaders to pass legislation that will extend unemployment benefits to Connecticut families.

"Unless Congress acts, we expect that more than 400,000 workers nationwide will exhaust their federal extended benefits by September with exhaustion rates expected to increase over the coming months," Rell and fellow governors wrote in a Sept. 15 letter to House and Senate leaders.

Connecticut unemployment hit 8.1 percent in August.

Under the federal law known as COBRA, workers who lose their jobs can elect to continue their health insurance but must pay the full cost.

Under the stimulus, the federal government is currently paying 65 percent of the COBRA premiums for unemployed individuals. This benefit is scheduled to end on Dec. 31, and Rell said Congress should extend it as well.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news10289.htm...
taxpayer

Trumbull, CT

#15 Sep 18, 2009
HR 3548 (extending unemployment benefits(EB) will come to the house floor wednesday sept. 23rd. ALL STATES SHOULD BE INCLUDED WITH NO ARTIFICAL "% TRIGGERS" Contact your congressman or congresswoman to get connecticut included with no strings.The money they were going to give acorn would fund benefits for five years.Bail out the taxpayers insted of the freeloaders(for a change)
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#16 Sep 18, 2009
Rich and Spoiled wrote:
<quoted text> You have NO clue old man sit home and collect your pension you shouldn't being commenting on the subject , go ride your Harley !
I said SOME. If you can not handle the truth, don't read it. If you can not comprehend, do not try to read it.

You know, as well as every other smart person out there that there are SOME who choose to stay home and complain about the job market instead of doing something about it. SOME people think the unemployment benefits will last until another job comes along.

PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES instead of looking to the government to "rescue" them all the time.
SOME need to learn the lesson. If jobs are not in Connecticut, go elsewhere.

It is also true that SOME people do not save for tough times. You would think that after loosing a job or two , SOME would learn the lesson of saving.

SOME.

Know the meaning of the word?
taxpayer

Trumbull, CT

#17 Sep 18, 2009
Yeah Wilson, SOME people just can't take a hint and keep their mouth shut. (just SOME, you understand)
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#18 Sep 18, 2009
Jezebel282 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilson, honest to goodness, sometimes you come up with the most ridiculous statements.
I cannot believe you really think that someone who has worked hard all their lives and has a family to support would not be out there every single day looking for a job.
Incredible, Wilson...just incredible...
Your not stupid Jezebel. You know what I mean. You know there are many jobless people who prefer to stay jobless. Why would you choose to ignore the truth? To make me look bad? I am a decent man. I have provided jobs for workers for over 40 years. I certainly know there are hard working people with families that lost their job, but that is not who I am speaking of. I am speaking of the ones, and there are many, who take advantage of the system and costs taxpayers billions more than needed.
I am very disappointed in you trying to make me look like a bad person. I thought you were a lot smarter then that.
I was dead wrong.
ann

Farmington, CT

#19 Sep 18, 2009
I love my job . Unfortunatly it's in a luxury business and I'm the last one hired . In this economy I worry I'm on vacation this week and wonder if they got alone fine with out me.
Jobless

Ronkonkoma, NY

#20 Sep 18, 2009
pwilson wrote:
<quoted text>I said SOME. If you can not handle the truth, don't read it. If you can not comprehend, do not try to read it.
You know, as well as every other smart person out there that there are SOME who choose to stay home and complain about the job market instead of doing something about it. SOME people think the unemployment benefits will last until another job comes along.
PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES instead of looking to the government to "rescue" them all the time.
SOME need to learn the lesson. If jobs are not in Connecticut, go elsewhere.
It is also true that SOME people do not save for tough times. You would think that after loosing a job or two , SOME would learn the lesson of saving.
SOME.
Know the meaning of the word?
Gee Mr Wilson can you get me a job somewhere ? if not shut your trap and go play golf !
So Lost

Ronkonkoma, NY

#21 Sep 18, 2009
Jezebel282 wrote:
A ray of hope:
CT, other states press for jobless aid extension
Today
Gov. M. Jodi Rell said today that she has joined 21 other governors in urging top congressional leaders to pass legislation that will extend unemployment benefits to Connecticut families.
"Unless Congress acts, we expect that more than 400,000 workers nationwide will exhaust their federal extended benefits by September with exhaustion rates expected to increase over the coming months," Rell and fellow governors wrote in a Sept. 15 letter to House and Senate leaders.
Connecticut unemployment hit 8.1 percent in August.
Under the federal law known as COBRA, workers who lose their jobs can elect to continue their health insurance but must pay the full cost.
Under the stimulus, the federal government is currently paying 65 percent of the COBRA premiums for unemployed individuals. This benefit is scheduled to end on Dec. 31, and Rell said Congress should extend it as well.
http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news10289.htm...
Oh boy i am soooo happy i going to go and buy a large pizza and a six pack of beer more money coming !!!
To bad

Ronkonkoma, NY

#22 Sep 18, 2009
ann wrote:
I love my job . Unfortunatly it's in a luxury business and I'm the last one hired . In this economy I worry I'm on vacation this week and wonder if they got alone fine with out me.
Ann i know it's you on this forum this is your boss , please stay home next week we don't need you anymore we will send you a pink slip to collect the 79 weeks , take care of yourself..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Realtime 1,600,387
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min cpeter1313 317,452
News Eastman Chemical cutting up to 300 jobs, reduci... (Mar '09) Mon Caitlyn Jenner 7
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Anybody Anywhere 21,174
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Mon Into The Night 63,970
Sick Minded Sexual Perversion is an Abomination!! Mon TrueX 2
Cromwell-the most racist town in CT (Jun '10) Sep 14 ANONYMOUS 31

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages