Northrop inspector filed false reports on welds on up to 13 Nav...

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Northrop Grumman Corp. and the U.S. Navy have launched a sweeping probe of 13 vessels built or serviced in the Newport News shipyard since 2005, prompted by an admission from a Northrop employee that he falsified reports on the quality welds that he was supposed to have inspected.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2014
Teed off taxpayer

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Judged:

Why not make this guy's name known. Show his face on the front page. Let's see this guy that is endangering all of our sailors and costing the taxpayer millions in potential rework.

This guy might as well have aided and abetted sabotoge of all of these ships by hiding known bad welds. It is time for arrests on federal charges of sabotoge and othe charges as the navy may see fit. Give him hard time in a federal prison.

Has the shipyard fired him yet or are they covering it up. Let the navy look at all of the work this guy has done since he was employed. This guy cannot be trusted to work in the yard. Let him be fired and lose his security clearance so he can never work in the yard again.

The FBI needs toi do this investigation along with the Navy and people need to go to prison.
David Newport News

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Teed off taxpayer wrote:
Why not make this guy's name known. Show his face on the front page. Let's see this guy that is endangering all of our sailors and costing the taxpayer millions in potential rework.
This guy might as well have aided and abetted sabotoge of all of these ships by hiding known bad welds. It is time for arrests on federal charges of sabotoge and othe charges as the navy may see fit. Give him hard time in a federal prison.
Has the shipyard fired him yet or are they covering it up. Let the navy look at all of the work this guy has done since he was employed. This guy cannot be trusted to work in the yard. Let him be fired and lose his security clearance so he can never work in the yard again.
The FBI needs toi do this investigation along with the Navy and people need to go to prison.
Not to make light of this issue, but quality cannot be inspected into a product/weld. Final/root inspection of welds is exactly that, the surface is inspected and a limited depth. Inspection by these inspectors is simply a check on the primary inspection of the welder. The welder is the quality control of the weld. Proper supervision, good attitude and skill is the promotion of acceptable quality on these vessels. Inspection of the welds, is like polishing the car. However, as before, it is a necessary check to make sure the quality is there. The offending inspector should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. His job is simple compared to the craftsman he is assuring quality for, but necessary to maintain the integrity of the product.
Richard Harris

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Judged:

NROTHRUP management has a long history of firing bringers of bad news. So if the inspector had found bad welds, the work owuld have to be redone at Company expense and his job would be on the line. Since the failure of even an improper weld is a rare experience and the Navy does not want to see NORTHRUP barred from future contracts, it is looking the other way in its inspections and telling the sailors that all is well. Wait till the tail end falls off a carrier.
Phillip Stull

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Richard Harris wrote:
NROTHRUP management has a long history of firing bringers of bad news. So if the inspector had found bad welds, the work owuld have to be redone at Company expense and his job would be on the line. Since the failure of even an improper weld is a rare experience and the Navy does not want to see NORTHRUP barred from future contracts, it is looking the other way in its inspections and telling the sailors that all is well. Wait till the tail end falls off a carrier.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I work for Northrop Grumman and the inspection findings that may be negative are not swept under the rug. Inspections are taken very seriously as we would never get better if we do not learn from our mistakes. We have come a long way since the first carrier was built and that has a lot to do with the inspections. This is just an example of a person not doing his job properly. Who knows whether he was overworked or just plain old LAZY!
Fed Up

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

David Newport News wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to make light of this issue, but quality cannot be inspected into a product/weld. Final/root inspection of welds is exactly that, the surface is inspected and a limited depth. Inspection by these inspectors is simply a check on the primary inspection of the welder. The welder is the quality control of the weld. Proper supervision, good attitude and skill is the promotion of acceptable quality on these vessels. Inspection of the welds, is like polishing the car. However, as before, it is a necessary check to make sure the quality is there. The offending inspector should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. His job is simple compared to the craftsman he is assuring quality for, but necessary to maintain the integrity of the product.
Aren't weld inspection done with xray on critical components?
yc resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Aren't weld inspection done with xray on critical components?
Yep you are correct. Ultrasonic machines are used on critical areas of the ship. Visual inspection is done on less critical. Either way they have to "pass" these welds and this guy did without looking at them.
David Newport News

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Aren't weld inspection done with xray on critical components?
There is an entire array of criteria to determine what method of inspection is done in order to "final" a weld. The huge majority of weld inspection is visual, which is what this inspector was supposed to be doing, but not the only inspection done on welds. The welder is responsible for inspecting each bead, in its entirety, prior to moving on or covering that bead. This is the primary and most important inspection that the weld gets. After the welder completes a weld, he/she does a level I final inspection. The welder then turns the weldment to the supervisor who gives the weld a level II inspection and signs the weld off to be inspected under the cognizance of the level III inspector. This inspection may consist of X-ray, UT, Eddy Current, PT (Dye Penetrant), and 5X magnified inspection. These procedures can be any appropriate combination, according to the type of joint or material being welded/tested. This included pipe and plate. Keep in mind that the welder is the primary inspector and quality assurance operator. He/she is the person that sees the weld actually being put into the weld joint. As stated before, inspection cannot put quality into the weld, and only assures that the quality is there. The procedures and techniques that are exibited at NorthropGrumman pretty much precludes poor quality, if practiced correctly. This inspector put a huge shadow on a good running operation.
Sgt Joe Friday

Callao, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

This guy should apply to the NNPD to be a police officer. He should have no problem being accepted.
Big John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2009

Explain yourself Mr. Shohan!
fred johnson

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Robert Ruks should be going to jail. Quality cannot be inspected into welds but no welder is perfect and bad welds are found. I would hate to have submariners find bad welds at depth.
Inspector X

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

The welding inspections done on these navy vessels is very important, whether it be surface inspections or volumetric, its all equally important. Robert ruks has embarassed all of us other inspectors who work for NGSB. He is one rouge employee who has given the department, the company, and each inspector a bad name and image. We are a world class inspection department with a high regard to ethics. Ruks should be punished to the full extent of the law. He not only let the company down and each inspector, but also his country. Thanks traitor.
Fed Up

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Inspector X wrote:
The welding inspections done on these navy vessels is very important, whether it be surface inspections or volumetric, its all equally important. Robert ruks has embarassed all of us other inspectors who work for NGSB. He is one rouge employee who has given the department, the company, and each inspector a bad name and image. We are a world class inspection department with a high regard to ethics. Ruks should be punished to the full extent of the law. He not only let the company down and each inspector, but also his country. Thanks traitor.
You are exactly right. Inspection is a checks and balance to assure quality. It shouldn't be left up to the mechanic to assure quality unless they are perfect. Last perfect man I remember got hung on a cross.

“The opposite of Progress ”

Since: Nov 08

is Congress

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Once the investigation is done, there is no reason not to splash the criminals name, photo, and address, just as the DP has done to other criminals.
Braveheart

Paisley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

David Newport News wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an entire array of criteria to determine what method of inspection is done in order to "final" a weld. The huge majority of weld inspection is visual, which is what this inspector was supposed to be doing, but not the only inspection done on welds. The welder is responsible for inspecting each bead, in its entirety, prior to moving on or covering that bead. This is the primary and most important inspection that the weld gets. After the welder completes a weld, he/she does a level I final inspection. The welder then turns the weldment to the supervisor who gives the weld a level II inspection and signs the weld off to be inspected under the cognizance of the level III inspector. This inspection may consist of X-ray, UT, Eddy Current, PT (Dye Penetrant), and 5X magnified inspection. These procedures can be any appropriate combination, according to the type of joint or material being welded/tested. This included pipe and plate. Keep in mind that the welder is the primary inspector and quality assurance operator. He/she is the person that sees the weld actually being put into the weld joint. As stated before, inspection cannot put quality into the weld, and only assures that the quality is there. The procedures and techniques that are exibited at NorthropGrumman pretty much precludes poor quality, if practiced correctly. This inspector put a huge shadow on a good running operation.
Perhaps the high quality of welding led the guy to believe that he wouldn't get caught.
M.T and P.T. testing have the ability to reveal defects which may not be spotted by a visual examination, even when using magnifying glasses etc.
Full marks to his colleagues for reporting him as the industry can well do without these cowboys.
Remember the radiographs from the movies "Silkwood" and "The China syndrome"
Disgusted Navy Vet

Euclid, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

This is disgusting!! How lazy can one person be? Both of Robert Ruks' parents were in the United States Air Force, you would think he would understand the importance of his job! Instead he endangered thousands of lives by his poor judgement and complete lack of proffessionalism! he not only endangered thousands of lives he also has tarnished the reputation of Northrop Grumman and its employee's, which may pevent the company from future govt. contracts and a loss in jobs because of the loss of those contracts! The reason he said "leave my family out of this" is because his two younger brother's works for the same company and both his parents have govt. jobs. I would say investigate ALL of them! You know what they say "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"! Unfortunatley I know this family all too well and can tell you first hand that NONE of them should be working for the govt!!!
myopinion

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Disgusted Navy Vet wrote:
This is disgusting!! How lazy can one person be? Both of Robert Ruks' parents were in the United States Air Force, you would think he would understand the importance of his job! Instead he endangered thousands of lives by his poor judgement and complete lack of proffessionalism! he not only endangered thousands of lives he also has tarnished the reputation of Northrop Grumman and its employee's, which may pevent the company from future govt. contracts and a loss in jobs because of the loss of those contracts! The reason he said "leave my family out of this" is because his two younger brother's works for the same company and both his parents have govt. jobs. I would say investigate ALL of them! You know what they say "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"! Unfortunatley I know this family all too well and can tell you first hand that NONE of them should be working for the govt!!!
THANK YOU!
southron_98

Hayes, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2013

This might be old hat but it is a joke. The yard admitted that their quality program appeared to break down in 2000 and and that 17 vessels either serviced or built by the Newport News yard since then, including seven aircraft carriers, parts of six Virginia-class subs, three Los Angeles-class subs and a cruiser could be affected. Where was SUPSHIP that is tasked to over see them? They admitted this in 2009 but discovered in 2007 where was their QA? Reinspected my ass! This by the way was to Level I Subsafe, contact the Navy and ask how the inspection/ investigation is going? Then explain to me how the eight boats are at sea in disregard to Mil-I-Level?

If you think Ruk did something different I suggest you look at the addmission of drug and drinking problems. I have to ask again where in the hell was is SUPSHIP? If they were in DCMA or DLA they would have been fired and may-be arrested.

What I enjoyed was the piece Ruk was cuaght and the yard says it had 886 weld defects like the "King of ID" said forget him bring me the welders.
Human at Earth

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Judged:

There is some CHRISTIAN problem at Northrop corporation. The MUSLIMS in agreement.

Look, I do my part in washing the Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Taoists, Vooduist, Humanist. Do what you were doing. Other people were doing what they were doing. Nature records the entire thing.

Human at Nature
Tom

Hayes, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

Judged:

Human at Earth wrote:
There is some CHRISTIAN problem at Northrop corporation. The MUSLIMS in agreement.
Look, I do my part in washing the Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Taoists, Vooduist, Humanist. Do what you were doing. Other people were doing what they were doing. Nature records the entire thing.
Human at Nature
Confusing verbiage, meaning and content unclear, please try again without the mind-altering substances in your system.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Wethersfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••