Wethersfield Should Preserve Scenic Farm

Wethersfield Should Preserve Scenic Farm

There are 51 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 7, 2009, titled Wethersfield Should Preserve Scenic Farm. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

For centuries after its founding in 1634, Wethersfield was an agricultural town, famous for, among other things, its onions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mayor 420

Meriden, CT

#44 May 11, 2009
Media Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand Glastonbury's sale in a much less congested town is a bargin sale with all sorts of tex credits to the seller...There are TWO appraisals for the farm, both of which don't include the house @$250,000 and one of which is $3 million and once is $3.5 million...And, we're getting $500K from the state and using open space money already saved so the cost to taxpayers is under $3 million by far!
Just curious where you think the money for the 500K state grant and the "open space money" came from? Maybe, um, the taxpayers?
Just say YES

Marlborough, CT

#45 May 11, 2009
Mayor 420 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious where you think the money for the 500K state grant and the "open space money" came from? Maybe, um, the taxpayers?
And like the other buffoons in town who are always asking the Council not to take state money, the money we are all sending to the state, we shouldn’t take it so Glastonbury can have the grant for a $6 million park... Please!
Mayor 420

Meriden, CT

#46 May 11, 2009
Just say YES wrote:
<quoted text>
And like the other buffoons in town who are always asking the Council not to take state money, the money we are all sending to the state, we shouldn’t take it so Glastonbury can have the grant for a $6 million park... Please!
You missed my point.
Ella

United States

#48 May 12, 2009
Mayor 420 wrote:
<quoted text>
Virtually no other open space left? The Town's 2000 Plan of Conservation and Development says that there were at that time 2,595.5 acres of privately owned open space in the town. Two Thousand Five Hundred Ninety-Five Acres. In addition, it says that there were 30.89 acres owned by the town and 142 acres of municipal and state open space. Altogether over 2,700 acres of open space in town. Get real.
Get Real? My comments are appropriate. The total amount you mention is not a convincing argument against acquiring more open space. Municipal/State property is subject to change regarding zoning. At this time, it is best to continue Development/redevelopment on the Silas Deane & Berlin Turnpike, and obtain farm property.
Ella

United States

#49 May 12, 2009
making hay wrote:
First--WHO is going to hay this land?
Second,if we do not hay it, WHO is going to mow it?
Third, if we spend all of this now, what about future farmland that will come available?
Are we only liking this because of the location in town?
Take a look at West Hartford's Westmoor Park and see what that Town has done to approximately 100+ acres.....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2746...
Ella

United States

#50 May 12, 2009
Justice for all wrote:
What ever helps the tax base... look in that direction then cast your vote.
Keeping this land open is the way to go. It will cost taxpayers much more (due to accommodating families with Town services and schooling) if houses go up on these parcels.
Mayor 420

Meriden, CT

#51 May 12, 2009
Ella wrote:
<quoted text>
Keeping this land open is the way to go. It will cost taxpayers much more (due to accommodating families with Town services and schooling) if houses go up on these parcels.
The question is how much more will it cost and when will it cost more? We're committed to paying for the property for the next 20 years and insuring and maintaining it forever. The amount of the annual payments on the bonds is more than what the town says it would cost to have the property developed. Yes, it may be good in the long run, but the break even date is about 30 years from now and nobody can predict what the world will look like then.
Ella

United States

#52 May 12, 2009
Free at last wrote:
Mayor, no wonder you side with that liberal, soon to be bankrupt Courant tabloid; it’s one of the few entities that actually agrees with you. The Courant is going bankrupt; don’t let our town follow suit.
You spill out diatribe that means absolutely nothing. We all like to have open space in our town but at what price. My advice to you is bring in non-biased arbitrators to negotiate a reasonable price for the land, I’m not comfortable with outside people making decisions about our future (Land Trust).
One more thing, are you saying you don’t want more people in out town, kids filling our schools, playing in our parks. Shame on you, a town is the people, not the land. You don’t mind saying that it will only cost the taxpayers $16 to finance the $3.5 million if we procure this property but it will cost us less for kids to occupy our schools.
The Mayor is correct about school costs. It is less expensive for the taxpayers purchase of this land than having private development construct housing or such. I would think any elected official would like to see their Town as family friendly. The reality is that those who reside in the Town pay for the services the Town provides. Wethersfield has plenty of available real estate for families, and the parcels at issue do not have to have residences on them. The Town stands nothing to gain by having these parcels developed because the commercial tax base in Town is not strong enough to ease additional tax burden of current residents. That's why we see more residential development in rural areas. The rural areas are not at the same juncture, tax burden wise, as a Town like Wethersfield because of Wethersfield's population density. Development/redevelopment efforts must occur in the commercial areas of Town (Silas Deane/Berline Tpke) to grow the commercial tax base.
Just say YES

Marlborough, CT

#53 May 12, 2009
This Mayor really is clueless about this opposition… Does he really think like Rodney King?? It's going to be next to impossible for things to settle down. In fact, I wouldn't put it past the no's to try and block the state grant or something to force more expenses and delays. My only hope is that the no's will just go away and accept defeat if/when that happens...
Just say YES

Marlborough, CT

#54 May 12, 2009
Mayor 420 wrote:
<quoted text>
The question is how much more will it cost and when will it cost more? We're committed to paying for the property for the next 20 years and insuring and maintaining it forever. The amount of the annual payments on the bonds is more than what the town says it would cost to have the property developed. Yes, it may be good in the long run, but the break even date is about 30 years from now and nobody can predict what the world will look like then.
But you do concede the point that after the bond is paid there is a break even point? I commend your rational point...But the fact still is this- once the bond is paid then the land pays for itself. Tough times will end soon and good times will come again. But once the land is developed, there's no turning back.
DrKen

Morris, CT

#56 May 12, 2009
Of the 17,816 registered voters in Wethersfield, 31.7% voted today, May 12.

The bottom line: Results: YES: 3522 - v - NO: 2124

Details of the voting patterns may be found at:

www.wethersfield.net/wilkus-farm

and tomorrow on the Town of Wethersfield's website.

Apparently the Town is now ready to "buy the farm."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Nuculur option 1,383,496
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 35 min Three Rounds 311,214
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 70,607
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr Earthling-1 59,509
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr winston molineri 20,303
News Suspect Had Quit Rehab (Mar '08) May 24 Ken Burke 135
News West Hartford Seniors Win Gold At State Table T... May 23 Coolstory 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages