Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313980 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#315055 Nov 8, 2013
Ink, there's no way to read those verses and think to self - women are not subservient, 2nd class citizens. Absolutely not! I mean what woman in their right mind would not want to be considered property by virtue of a father handing over his daughter to another man in holy matrimony? While it's fallen out of modern use, the bride often vowed to obey much like a good dog.

{Waves to Katie and Bitner.}
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315056 Nov 8, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. There are also changes in anatomy and physiology, changes in consciousness, legal status, and for some spiritual changes.
But you knew that, as it's been pointed out many times here.
That happens all through life but it doesn't make us any less alive.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315057 Nov 8, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
I come from a huge family, lots of extended members. My father's family Catholic in its entirety. My mother's family a little more divers; one of my grandma's sisters split from Catholicism and became a <GASP!> Mormon.
My Catholic Grandma began studying Paganism later in life. I have her tabletop Bible with Jesus' words in RED -- a collector's item I intend to keep until I'm done with it.
Why are you so dense? Why do you let your imagination run wild instead of being open to ways different from your own? You're a horrible name calling, judgmental, asexual individual who is too chicken to reveal their screen name everyone would know.
When I go to publish my life story, I'll let you know first.
No wonder you are so confused.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#315058 Nov 8, 2013
If from this:
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Unto the woman He said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

I would have you know, that the head of the woman is the man;

Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
you get anything but "Man rules women" and "women are screwed" You're an idiot.

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315059 Nov 8, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you profess belief in an outdated book? The entire book was written by Jewish people 2000 years ago. Now you are picking and choosing what is to be believed and lived by and what is not? WHY does the bible contain the OT in the first place? The NT is as misogynistic as the OT. Can't you read?
If nobody is following old Jewish law then nobody is following the bible...correct?
I think many parts of the Bible transcend time and are appicable today. Basically if Jesus said it, I believe.

“Make time ”

for contemplation

#315060 Nov 8, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a patriachial society
Not so much as in past decades, but much progress remains for any semblance of equality. You only have to look around the abortion threads to know that many believe women who sleep around should pay the piper by giving birth. What happens after that doesn't seem to matter nearly as much. Perhaps not at all?
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315061 Nov 8, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the impression I get from both Inky's and Sassy's posts as well. They really don't like it when their faith-based "all women were meant for marriage/motherhood" dogma is challenged, especially by women who enjoy being single and who have no children BY CHOICE.
So they have to say that single/childfree (the term for no kids by choice) women are "angry, bitter, lonely," etc. when such is usually NOT the case at all.
No we said some single childless women are happy but you don't seem to believe that women married and raising families are happy too. We want everybody to be happy.
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#315062 Nov 8, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a patriachial society
I think most would disagree with you, and with good cause.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#315063 Nov 8, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That happens all through life but it doesn't make us any less alive.
Stop trying to change the argument just because you were proven wrong.
Ocean56

AOL

#315064 Nov 8, 2013
Ink wrote:
This isn't a patriachial society.

Sure it is, within the bounds of the Catholic Church, at least. Of course you'd prefer that the women you're trying to CON with this nonsense not know just HOW patriarchal it really is until they're tricked into joining. Too bad.

I know exactly how patriarchal this toxic institution is. That's why I kicked all of it to the curb 25+ years ago, and the unwanted baggage of all gods, religions and churches while I was at it.

It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained by a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#315065 Nov 8, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I think many parts of the Bible transcend time and are appicable today. Basically if Jesus said it, I believe.
How do words in a book transcend time?

Too bad there isn't a shred of evidence to support what you believe jesus said. You might have a leg to stand on.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#315066 Nov 8, 2013
Junket wrote:
Ink, there's no way to read those verses and think to self - women are not subservient, 2nd class citizens. Absolutely not! I mean what woman in their right mind would not want to be considered property by virtue of a father handing over his daughter to another man in holy matrimony? While it's fallen out of modern use, the bride often vowed to obey much like a good dog.
(Waves to Junket)

You're right, there is no way that those verses do not place women below men.
Ocean56

AOL

#315067 Nov 8, 2013
Bitner wrote:
(Waves to Junket)
Hi Bitner!:::waving to Junket too:::

Absolutely; those biblical verses definitely put women below men, treating them as 2nd class citizens.

What's hilarious is watching Inky and Sassy trying to outdo each other in trying to CON us into believing these verses don't put women in a subservient status. Next thing you know, either Sassy or Inky will say something really stupid; like "submission and subservience are 'good' for women." @@
Katie

Spanaway, WA

#315068 Nov 8, 2013
Junket wrote:
Hi AJ :)

According to a Catholic article I just read, America has moved away from patriarchy (not sure I believe that, though)... but it would do well to get itself right back into it, don'tcha know? With patriarchy comes virginity and chastity, the sacrifice of celibacy. All good sexual morals, y'know? It's an interesting read.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/mar...
Katie

Spanaway, WA

#315069 Nov 8, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bitner!:::waving to Junket too:::
Absolutely; those biblical verses definitely put women below men, treating them as 2nd class citizens.
What's hilarious is watching Inky and Sassy trying to outdo each other in trying to CON us into believing these verses don't put women in a subservient status. Next thing you know, either Sassy or Inky will say something really stupid; like "submission and subservience are 'good' for women." @@
According to the article I just posted, it appears the worshipers are being spoon fed that man and woman are equal... provided they follow the patriarchal marriage. It's that whole concept of man coming from God, woman from man, man from woman through birth.

Totally circular logic and therefore illogical. But that *is* what they're being taught. Just in time for a new generation of young women to be told their priorities and goals for life.
Katie

Spanaway, WA

#315070 Nov 8, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
(Waves to Junket)
Darn your reading comprehension, Bitner, AJ's, too! No spoon feeding either of you!
:)

“Make time ”

for contemplation

#315071 Nov 8, 2013
Greetings Ocean!

Katie, it's a whole new ballgame with the current generation. Divorce is a piece of a paper, much like getting married. Seems to not mean much and exchanging vows is like pledging allegiance to the flag. Seems by rote - words that mean nothing iow.

What I don't get, and never will, is why women can never win. If they stay at home - lazy. If they work and place child(ren) in day care - selfish.

It's not right. Women should support other women regarding personal choices. We've come a long way baby, but we have a long way to go.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315072 Nov 8, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no doubt sASSY and Inky really do believe this backward nonsense. It truly boggles the mind what religious brainwashing, usually done from early childhood onward, can do to women. I'm just glad I spared myself from that insanity by rejecting all of it a couple of decades ago.
Please tell me what would improve my life if I adopted your views.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315073 Nov 8, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, if someone is not exactly like them, they have to believe that something dreadful happened in their past to make them different (and wrong, in their eyes), and that they suffer for being "different".
Not at all but on here you all tend to be angry, frustrated and man hating. Not one of you has anyhing nice to say about children or men. Some lifeexperience has created that attitude.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#315074 Nov 8, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Your inability to comprehend the FACT Morgana quoted YOUR words is allowing you to lie without your permission. Rather, let's say it this way, with circular logic.
Your inability to comprehend the FACT Morgana quoted YOUR words is allowing you to lie without your comprehension.
Better?
<rolls eyes>
She quoted the Bible first and we were all responding to that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,522,456
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Mon TRD 71,284
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) Apr 22 Patty Myers 8,138
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Apr 21 Fitus T Bluster 20,971
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Apr 20 Patriot AKA Bozo 63,620
News Five Key Points From Hartford's Budget Proposal Apr 19 IdiotCamp 1
News State child agency pulling wards from Durham sc... (May '07) Apr 18 Chastity Veasley 48

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages