Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311606 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Katie

Pacific, WA

#311205 Sep 16, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
"fetus adjusting to life outside the womb is a process" (your words) is a false statement.
Once outside the womb, he/she is a baby.
Jackazz.
Prove it's a false statement, name caller.

Prove newborn brain does not need up to 48hrs to become fully awake after delivery.

Prove me wrong. Or go back to your lame attempts at Argumentum ad Hominem and calling names like a whiny crybaby.
Katie

Pacific, WA

#311206 Sep 16, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you can only speak for yourself. You can BELIEVE of those others, but remember, even the people we know best don't always express themselves fully. And of course many DON'T have those views. But many DO, whether you want to believe it or not. By the way, I'm not talking about abortion.
Her response to your opinion of those who hold such regressive views of women is very similar to the one she gave me when I provided verification the Religious Right was going after specific gov't entities (like the IRS).

It's almost as if that is all she sees and hears in this discussion. A shame, too. jmo

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#311207 Sep 16, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
A quote from Girl Scouts CEO, Kathy Cloninger,“We partner with many organizations. We have relationships with our church communities, with YWCAs, and with Planned Parenthood organizations across the country, to bring information-based sex education programs to girls.”
How much more evidence do you need? We must remove ourselves from such evil. We cannot allow ourselves to participate “from within.” We must get out. We must stand up for truth, with a clean conscience and clean heart. lifenews.com
What's your motto? In Ignorance We Trust?
Pot meet Kettle

United States

#311208 Sep 16, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Try not to get too puffed up.
Puffed up? Me ? I was puffing YOU up. Do you read ?
Also from the link and right in line with what NAP and others were claiming:

"Humans have had a dramatic effect on the environment. The extinction of a number of species has been attributed to anthropogenic factors, such as human predation and habitat loss, and other negative impacts include pollution, widespread loss of wetlands and other ecosystems, alteration of rivers, and introduction of invasive species. On the other hand, humans in the past century have made considerable efforts to reduce negative impacts and provide greater protection for the environment and other living organisms, through such means as environmental law, environmental education, and economic incentives."
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hum...
More evidence of human superiority.
When did you ever see a cat or a dolphin enact environmental law, or promote environmental education, or create economic incentive ?

More good work ! Hats off to you !
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#311209 Sep 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>

We do not agree ..we cannot go back and see ..Roe Is here and unfortunately many women are using it as birth control ..
I call BS.

This idea that women use abortion as birth control is downright insulting and silly.

You think those women want to have abortions? How sympathetic of you.
Pot meet Kettle

United States

#311210 Sep 16, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Also in that link was another link which states:
"The term religion (from Latin: religio meaning "bind, connect") denotes a set of common beliefs and practices pertaining to the supernatural (and its relationship to humanity and the cosmos), which are often codified into prayer, ritual, scriptures, and religious law. These beliefs and practices are typically defined in light of a shared canonical vocabulary of venerable traditions, writings, history, and mythology. As religious traditions are often deeply embedded into specific cultural contexts, these traditions often contain moral codes that outline the relationships that a believer is expected to cultivate with respect to themselves, other believers, outsiders, and the supernatural world. Finally, a common element of many religious traditions is the division of the world in two comprehensive domains, one sacred, the other profane.[1] In this context, religious thought and practice are aimed at delineating and reifying these two disparate realms through personal effort and/or communal ritual.
The social structure of the world's religious traditions can be roughly placed on continuum based on their respective levels of interpersonal involvement and social engagement. On one end of this scale would be the most inwardly-directed types, such as the desert saints of early Christianity and the ascetics of Hinduism. On the other hand, one would find the religious traditions that are most firmly entrenched in all aspects of personal, social, and juridical life, such as the medieval Catholic Church and the theocratic regimes of some Islamic states. All other religious traditions could be situated somewhere between these two poles. However, the multivalent interplay between the religious and secular spheres has caused some scholars to question the utility of the term "religion," as they claim that it presents these traditions in "a reified, essentialized fashion, isolated from the political, social, economic, and cultural worlds within which they are embedded."[2]
Given its ubiquity in human affairs and world history, religion has been a perennially controversial topic for generations. The subject of religion can induce a range of responses from love, compassion and goodwill, to fear, loathing, and xenophobia. Indeed, religion can be seen as something of a paradox, as it simultaneously contains both humanity's most sublime moral and spiritual teachings, as well as grim remnants of intolerance and patriarchy that foster hatred and horror. Thus, despite the growing dangers of religious fundamentalism, the world's religions continue to be treasure chests of spiritual resources for making a positive impact on world affairs."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Rel...
And what does all that mean?
Beats the hell out of me. It was exhausting reading though. Please don't cut and paste anything that lengthy and meaningless again.
That NAP, Bitner, and others have a similar set of beliefs, but distinct from Christian beliefs in that they don't believe humanity is to hold *dominion* over the world based only its uniqueness

NAP, Bitner and others can believe anything they want. The fact is your link spelled out in great detail why human beings are superior to other animal life forms.
Sorry the link(s) didn't blow any theories out of the water like you'd so badly hoped. Sorry, too, you weren't able to understand that before you smugly posted.
No they didn't blow them out of the water, they EXPLODED them out of the water. And don't apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for.
You did excellent work...even if you still don't realize it.
Gtown71

United States

#311211 Sep 16, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>What gives you the authority to decide what successful, motivated women 'need' or 'don't need', Rose? You only have the authority to decide that for yourself.
There was a vast surfeit of garbage to choose from. Palin is a mendacious megalomaniac, with a big mouth, and a thin skin. If she didn't want her kids involved in the blowback of her ridiculous campaign, perhaps she should have thought twice before showcasing them in it. She used her kids and their difficulties to advance the idea that she's a good mom. It backfired. She's an idiot if she didn't assess that risk before she took that particular bit between her teeth.
Had Roe never been passed, most states would likely have retained laws against abortion which are currently considered Unconstitutional, and rather than being the exception, the Gosnells of this life would be the rule. Women would be having more illicit abortions on more kitchen tables, performed by more unqualified people, in more septic conditions. Women would still use contraception, or they wouldn't - and it would still work, or it . Let me ask you this: Did criminalizing alcohol in the twenties, stop people from drinking alcohol?
Why do you think criminalizing abortion, would keep women from engaging in behavior which might result in a pregnancy?
When are you going to learn that legislating morality DOESN'T WORK??
What should we legislate?
All laws have some form of moral background.

I just think important issues should be left for the people to decide, as it is anywhere in the us.

Each town has a "standard "in which we live by, so why was such an important subject left up to a handful of judges to decide?
Pot meet Kettle

United States

#311212 Sep 16, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Our species has certain characteristics which are superior to other animals; other species have characteristics we can't hope to match. Birds fly; are they superior to humans?
<quoted text>
Man can fly also. And his reasoning and ability to construct a machine to enable him to overcome the instinctive physical ability that nature and evolution did not provide him with is precisely what illustrates his superiority.
What bird do you know of that can construct a 747 ?

You're a clown.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#311213 Sep 16, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
What should we legislate?
All laws have some form of moral background.
I just think important issues should be left for the people to decide, as it is anywhere in the us.
Each town has a "standard "in which we live by, so why was such an important subject left up to a handful of judges to decide?
A citizen's civil rights are not left to popular vote. That is the "tyranny of the majority" that the founders were attempting to avoid.
Katie

Pacific, WA

#311214 Sep 16, 2013
Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Beats the hell out of me. It was exhausting reading though. Please don't cut and paste anything that lengthy and meaningless again.
<quoted text>.
NAP, Bitner and others can believe anything they want. The fact is your link spelled out in great detail why human beings are superior to other animal life forms.
<quoted text>
No they didn't blow them out of the water, they EXPLODED them out of the water. And don't apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for.
You did excellent work...even if you still don't realize it
You are silly. Eh, it's your perspective, you're welcome to it. Am sure glad I have a better understanding of various belief systems, how parts are similar and other parts differ.

I liked what Cptr said. Birds can fly on their own volition. Does that make 'em superior to humans? He gets it.
Katie

Pacific, WA

#311215 Sep 16, 2013
Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Man can fly also. And his reasoning and ability to construct a machine to enable him to overcome the instinctive physical ability that nature and evolution did not provide him with is precisely what illustrates his superiority.
What bird do you know of that can construct a 747 ?
You're a clown.
You just don't get it. But you're welcome to your perspective. All those people attempting to fly on their own volition all go SPLAT! Silly!
Gtown71

United States

#311216 Sep 16, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
A citizen's civil rights are not left to popular vote. That is the "tyranny of the majority" that the founders were attempting to avoid.
So why is a person who murders a pregnant woman charged with killing two?
double standard?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#311217 Sep 16, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
So why is a person who murders a pregnant woman charged with killing two?
double standard?
Why is it that your side of this issue never understands the fetal homicide laws?

They don't exist in every state. In those where they DO exist, they kick in at different gestational points, and only apply during the commission of another crime, AND they violate the woman's what?......CIVIL RIGHTS. Where they SAY "murder" (which not all do), that is at the insistence of a politician who was catering to an anti-choice group that was trying to get at abortion through the "backdoor".

These things have been pointed out many, many, many, many times before.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#311218 Sep 16, 2013
This subject is still being talked about? For how long? Then what?
Ink

Narberth, PA

#311220 Sep 16, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Funny, since you don't get 'hung up' on omniscient or eternal, that the lack thereof is what makes Taoism a 'non-starter' for you.
What I don't get hung up on is trying to explain to non believers how God can be both omniscient and allow free will.

Deities is the non starter.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#311221 Sep 16, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
What I don't get hung up on is trying to explain to non believers how God can be both omniscient and allow free will.
Deities is the non starter.
Why?
Ink

Narberth, PA

#311222 Sep 16, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, there are more than a few women who hold these backward extremist views, Phyllis Schlafly being one of the worst. Then there are the idiots like Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and all the silly women in that group Concerned Women For America as well. If they had THEIR way, women wouldn't have advanced beyond the 1950's.
These regressive women are just as bad as the anti-suffragists of the 19th century who kept insisting "women don't want the vote," as if they spoke for ALL women. I find it unbelievable that there are so many who would VOTE for those idiots, regardless of their gender.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
How can you critize such accomplished women who represent the great success of feminism? I would argue that these women and thousands more have found a way to have fullfilling successful, contributing lives without promoting killing unborn babies.
You just don't want to believe it is possible.
Ink

Narberth, PA

#311223 Sep 16, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Because they have shown no ability to understand which is fine.

I only believe in one God.
Ink

Narberth, PA

#311224 Sep 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Christians and Catholics I know ..And I actually listen to conservatives over the past twenty years ...
And females,in business ..And health cars I know who are conservative .
And some of the people I have taken care coverage years ..who I know well enough to discuss things like this .
Despite what's popular to believe ...many in my generation..And the children we went in to raise ..believe in colleges for women.
It's,not only access to abortion that makes women successful ..That was not even part of the lib movement when it started .
You may like to believe we ars all for keeping women down. We aren't ..And the women I have personal contact EITH ...And many other successful women who are not for abortion..prove this ..
Our kids and now grand kids are in college and in the workplace .
Again we just don't believe abortion is necessary to accomplish this ..
FAMILY PLANNING ..is,definitely in our repertoire ...including many CATHOLICS .
That's exactly right.

Their claim that conservative women want to go back to the last century hardly holds water when we have daughters and granddaughters who are either in college or have established careers.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#311225 Sep 16, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they have shown no ability to understand which is fine.
I only believe in one God.
I have no idea what "they" you mean. My question didn't have anything to do with anyone but YOU.

Why do you only believe in one God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,418,005
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 40 min TRD 70,940
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 46 min Hipocrits 20,489
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Into The Night 61,023
Chris Powell Editor of the JI investigated for ... Aug 22 HCourantsub 1
News SEA CLIFF: Paramedic arrested on child harm cha... (Jun '08) Aug 21 Greg 55
News Gay Marriage (Mar '09) Aug 20 newsb 482

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages