Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313233 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#309245 Aug 25, 2013
John-K wrote:
Evening all!
Well, here's an update for anyone who's interested...and a thorough annoyance for everyone else.
Mom's making progress--though not as much as she'd like.
Dad had quite a nasty(and scary) fall last Saturday night and spent about six hours alone on the floor until he was able to drag himself up to bed.
Once informed of this I said, "That's it! You're going to the doctor and I want no arguments from you!"
Argue he did, but eventually acquiesced. Come Tuesday(earliest appointment I could get w/o E.R.) we can't see his doctor, but the Nurse Practitioner who's worried about his EKG results. After consulting with a physician they decide we've got to go to the E.R. for a full series of tests.
He's resistant, angry, uncooperative, but I wouldn't have any of it. So, I suggested the E.R. of the hospital where my mother's currently located.
Long story short, we get there, he's admitted, and is now currently there as well. Mom's got the better view--the one overlooking P.J. harbor. He's got an up-close-and-personal view of the chapel right outside his window--the Polish Catholics get their revenge! ;)
He's considered too unsteady on his legs and isn't allowed to walk by himself. Mom, who was given the tentative date of this Thursday for discharge, was told that she'll have to be sent to a secondary "rehab" unit down on the south shore. She's furious with me because I refused to "vouch" for her as being "o.k." to be discharged--she needs 24/7 supervision in case anything should happen(which I can't provide.) She threw a helluva temper-tantrum with her CNA last night because she "wants to get the f*ck out of here and go home...NOW!"
Needless to say, I was nothing short of mortified.
Yet as I told her--and to my amusement, my father supported, "What should happen if you fall, and you're all by yourself and unable to get up...?"
Didn't placate her much, but I think(hope) this got through to her.
Uggh! If I manage to get through this with a full head of hair, or even my sanity, it'll be nothing short of a miracle...
Best all!
John.
Hey John-K,

I haven't been on to hear the whole story but reading this made me laugh. Some of these "old folks" are quite feisty. It's a good thing!! Hopefully the you and the staff can help your parents channel all that energy in a positive direction.

Location hidden

#309246 Aug 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
She probably objected to the word "Minister". She threw a fit when she found out there are Wiccan Atheists. I tried explaining to her that in their case "Atheist" doesn't quit mean the same as it would ordinarily, but she wouldn't listen.
She hates me :)
You wouldn't be talking about June from the "Thousands" thread, would you?

Location hidden

#309247 Aug 25, 2013
Sorry, wrong thread. I meant the "Catholic" thread.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#309248 Aug 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Moon I never give up ..And lol I'm not 79
June is!!!
I am older but NOT that old ..You don't win that easily ..HeHe
Okay, so you're 78. lol

Is June really 79?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#309249 Aug 25, 2013
Susanm wrote:
Sorry, wrong thread. I meant the "Catholic" thread.
Oh, yes, we are :)

We were speculating on what a conversation between June and Gtown would be like. Because I said there was no difference between Gtown implying that if we really had "open minds" we'd believe as he does, and June saying that if we really thought for ourselves, we wouldn't believe at all, like her.

Location hidden

#309250 Aug 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes, we are :)
We were speculating on what a conversation between June and Gtown would be like. Because I said there was no difference between Gtown implying that if we really had "open minds" we'd believe as he does, and June saying that if we really thought for ourselves, we wouldn't believe at all, like her.
Hahahaha, she's truly "one of a kind"!!

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#309251 Aug 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to be clear..see my posts to Peter.
Many Tax exempt entities are non religious . A great percentage are secular
Ok a lot if rich people give to support things
That do nothing to help the masses..the tax exempt goes to the
Charity and the people take it off their taxes..And no one gets fed
But themselves
Most if us try as we can ..to help others..And we don't do it for tax reasons either
But calling out only the religious charities..IMO
Not true.
Some do better than others at using the resources
Given in donations.fir the purposes they support
Have you looked up the rating on your favorite charity
On that Charity Navigator .
Many use s lot if their money to get MORE money .
Like I would never give to some of those TV ad people .
The old couple next door, whose lawn we mow free of charge; the kids for whom we provide meals and a place to rest his/her head for a couple of weeks (or a month); the homeless folks gathered in back of the local convenience store, to whom I routinely take sandwiches in the summer and hot soup in the winter; my friend who needs help with her rent, when her fixed income isn't stretching far enough to cover both her groceries and the light bill; and the folks broken down on the side of the road, to whom we always offer whatever assistance we can, aren't on the 'Charity Navigator' Rose.

I don't contribute to organized charity, I don't care HOW well it rates on some national 'Kudos List'. Charity begins at home.

Location hidden

#309252 Aug 25, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're 78. lol
Is June really 79?
That could explain her delusions.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309253 Aug 25, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery for one. Stoning your children if they don't listen or stoning wife for cheating. Or making war on anyone who does not believe same. Just to name a few.
Just the whole premise if you don't do everything god say you fry forever in pit of fire. I mean what kind of egotistical nasty god is such a mean pile of trash.
What are you trying to say here?

Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the buybull does not say abortion is ok but sure does man other vile things.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309254 Aug 25, 2013
Huh wrote:
When daily poor children and people die from starvation and lack of medical care in USA the far right thinks that is fine and wont do one thing to help those. In fact the far right wants to make it harder on those so more die.
You must get ALL your information from Obama's silly speeches and MSNBC.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309255 Aug 25, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly don't blame a deity I don't believe in, for any of my shortcomings. I own them. However, you claim to believe in Him, yet you refuse to give him credit for all he supposedly created...such as the ability and tendency of man to commit 'evil'. Or the inclusion in his omniscient 'plan' of everything occurring under the sun...such as abortion.
You want it both ways, and your heel-bouncing intensifies with every obstacle laid in front of your path to that outcome.
Whiner.
Omniscient--Having all knowledge.

This is no obstacle for my belief in an all knowing God.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309257 Aug 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. "Good and evil" are simply things that are positive or negative from a human perspective.
Again, either you believe your God is omniscient, omnipotent and the only creator of the universe, or you don't.
Do I believe that God wants and us to behave badly to our fellow man including the unborn, no I don't.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309258 Aug 25, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
If the plan is for us to make our own decision, and truly free will, then even abortion is part of his plan.
No, not any more that rape, beatings, aduletry, robbery or any other bad behaviour perportrated against one another.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309259 Aug 25, 2013
<quoted text>
No, he did not.
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
"To me the bible is the BUYBULL....It is your cult myth not mine and I don't have to follow it...SO SAYS OUR CONSTITUTION!!!!!!!!!!"
He said, it is your cult myth and he doesn't have to follow it.

He right and doesn't need any more conversation. It is a closed book for him and he should move on to another interest.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309260 Aug 25, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
"He speaks of not committing murder. Aborting a child 'He knowns' is murder."
<quoted text>
Then I guess you really have nothing to complain about.
Then I guess we can't complain about the young man who was shot and killed by guys who were bored that day. Nor should we care that a 88 year old man was bruttaly killed by teens for a few dollars since we all die anyway. The is the insane argument that folks like your self make to justify abortion. It has become a crazy thinking country.

Location hidden

#309261 Aug 25, 2013
Huh wrote:
Ink..So you wont answer just twist and trurn and spew more BS>.
You want welfare and food stamps to end don't you???????
I know you do since seen you say as much on other postings. So you don't care about LIFE just control of womens bodies...RIGHT???????
No one wants welfare and food stamps to end for those who NEED them. The problem is that many who receive them don't. What we need to stop is the ABUSE of them.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#309262 Aug 25, 2013
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey John-K,
I haven't been on to hear the whole story but reading this made me laugh. Some of these "old folks" are quite feisty. It's a good thing!! Hopefully the you and the staff can help your parents channel all that energy in a positive direction.
Good morning "Sue."
The words "positive energy" and my parents are like oil and water.
Well, at least somebody's getting some enjoyment from this.
;)
Well, to bring you up to speed...
Mom had a complete hip replacement just about two weeks ago now; she'd apparently fractured her hip though none of us can determine exactly when.
After her surgery, she was moved to a hospital right down the road from me(I've got two within a quarter mile of one another and as I live on the north shore of L.I., she's got a great view of the harbor from her room,) for her first stage of "rehab."
Dad--who was out of his mind with worry about mom(and who's had a history of falling this past year)--fell once again. This time, he'd spent several hours on the floor(a brick one no less,) alone unable to get up. He also managed rip open his index finger and bleed all over the place. Cleaning that up sure was fun(I was reminded of Norman Bates scrubbing out the shower more than once.)
As I'd said, the N.P. and doctor who'd seen him didn't like his EKG and recommended a trip to E.R. I suggested going to the place where Mom was so that's where we went. He's due for a cardiac stress test sometime this morning(he'd apparently suffered a "silent" heart-attack some time ago & had two stents put in last December.)
The odd thing is, technically speaking, they're not that "old." Mom just turned 68 in May, and Dad(poor guy) just spent his 70th birthday in the ICU last Wed.
I've admittedly had a bit of fun poking at Dad that the chapel is right outside his window--he was raised in the Polish Catholic community on the L.E.S. in the 40's & 50's--and the hospital is a member of the Catholic Health Services, so I tell him that they're getting even with him now for "lapsing."
Truth be told though, I can find no fault whatsoever with the level of care he and Mom are receiving. In fact, it's been the best I've seen here thus far.
Anyhow, there it is...

Best,
John.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309264 Aug 25, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church is not now, nor has it ever been, either a non-profit OR a not-for-profit entity.
Popes are worth billions. Poor people still starve.
Next...
Can you show us a financial report on P. Francis?
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#309265 Aug 25, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Most everyone on them need them. But your rich have yours so you don't care right....
Anyway point is most far righters want food stamps and welfare ended or cut way back...THAT PROVES THEY DONT CARE ABOUT LIFE JUST CONTROLING LIFE.
Did you se the story that they did on the CA surfer on food stamps. He said they just gasve him $2oo amonth and he thinks it's great. He loves America. BTW, he drove in a Cadilac Escalade for more surfing. I think he is one of many thta the right objects to.

Location hidden

#309266 Aug 25, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning "Sue."
The words "positive energy" and my parents are like oil and water.
Well, at least somebody's getting some enjoyment from this.
;)
Well, to bring you up to speed...
Mom had a complete hip replacement just about two weeks ago now; she'd apparently fractured her hip though none of us can determine exactly when.
After her surgery, she was moved to a hospital right down the road from me(I've got two within a quarter mile of one another and as I live on the north shore of L.I., she's got a great view of the harbor from her room,) for her first stage of "rehab."
Dad--who was out of his mind with worry about mom(and who's had a history of falling this past year)--fell once again. This time, he'd spent several hours on the floor(a brick one no less,) alone unable to get up. He also managed rip open his index finger and bleed all over the place. Cleaning that up sure was fun(I was reminded of Norman Bates scrubbing out the shower more than once.)
As I'd said, the N.P. and doctor who'd seen him didn't like his EKG and recommended a trip to E.R. I suggested going to the place where Mom was so that's where we went. He's due for a cardiac stress test sometime this morning(he'd apparently suffered a "silent" heart-attack some time ago & had two stents put in last December.)
The odd thing is, technically speaking, they're not that "old." Mom just turned 68 in May, and Dad(poor guy) just spent his 70th birthday in the ICU last Wed.
I've admittedly had a bit of fun poking at Dad that the chapel is right outside his window--he was raised in the Polish Catholic community on the L.E.S. in the 40's & 50's--and the hospital is a member of the Catholic Health Services, so I tell him that they're getting even with him now for "lapsing."
Truth be told though, I can find no fault whatsoever with the level of care he and Mom are receiving. In fact, it's been the best I've seen here thus far.
Anyhow, there it is...
Best,
John.
Wow, that's a lot to go through in just a few weeks. The part that amused me was "She threw a helluva temper-tantrum with her CNA last night because she "wants to get the f*ck out of here and go home...NOW!". Too often when an elderly person breaks a hip they get discouraged (because of the length of time it takes to heal)and then they give up. The fact that she still has her spunk is great. With your Dad, he wants to fight so that he can take care of your Mom and that's great motivation for him. I never meant to make light of the situation in any way, and I apologize if my post came across that way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Aquarius-wy 1,484,346
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 62,986
Lost Phone 23 hr Do no harm 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Sun TRD 71,320
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Well Well 20,775
DCF Protest in CT & We want your stories!!! (Jul '12) Jan 21 Maria pawlus 73
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) Jan 19 truth 7,994

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages