Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 309859 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ink

Warminster, PA

#301417 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>So when do you 'Christ following' folks plan to start?
I can't speak for others but I try to treat people well everyday.

I would never personally insult you or your family. But that's just me.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#301419 Jun 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to make excuses for your bad behavior?
Are you trying to say there are any? It's your Jesus' edict. When was the last time you followed it?

I admit to being a bitch to you. There. Now I don't need an 'excuse'.

(PS: I never claimed to be Christian.)

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#301420 Jun 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You are fighting a two hundred and fifty year old tradition. Faith and God have always been a part of the United States of America. I think you will just have to continue to be offended.
You are fighting a sixty-five thousand year old medical procedure.
I think you will have to continue to be 'offended' as well.

Next....
eyeswideopen

Cazadero, CA

#301421 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>As a matter of fact, that's precisely what I did. However, had I stood up loud and proud, and said what I REALLY thought, which is "I don't believe in this imaginary God", I certainly would have been at least 'disciplined'...as I worked in the buckle of the Bible Belt at the time.
And yesterday, I had a high-colonic enema....so your first assertion is also incorrect.
I don't recommend this treatment in your case, as you would undoubtedly implode and disappear...
oh, what the hell - give it a go. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea!
:)
Maybe, but that's because its not the proper time and place for discussion and that's simply rude. I wouldn't have given my Muslims friends a Bible at their wedding for the same reason. Its called respecting others. Its not that hard. You can do as others do and be respectful at the proper times and hold discussion at proper times.

People saying the Pledge aren't doing so to invite discussion. You sound like someone constantly turned on sexually and can't behave properly, just have a little self control when you're out in public!

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#301422 Jun 20, 2013
Despite what you learned from "mandingo", you could not kill a slave with impunity. There were laws concerning that. If one died during punishment, there would still be an inquiry. Many times, they were ruled accidental, just like when a prisoner dies while in custody today.

And, again for the slow-witted, murder cannot be legal. Your pissiness doesn't change the meaning of the word.
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
fine. there was also a time when slave owners could kill their property during the course of "punishment" with legal impunity. does that mean it wasn't murder because it was legal?
eyeswideopen

Cazadero, CA

#301423 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>So when do you 'Christ following' folks plan to start?
Already do, when someone is rude to us we give them the smackdown; just as we'd wish our friends and loved would do when someone is rude to them.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#301424 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are fighting a sixty-five thousand year old medical procedure.
I think you will have to continue to be 'offended' as well.
Next....
"Offended" is a poor choice of words. It doesn't reflect my feelings about abortion.

Indianapolis

#301425 Jun 20, 2013
There's a difference between offended and threatened. I'm offended that some a-hole thinks everyone is a believer in this non-entity, and with the implication that they should be. Making kids repeat this crap is a violation of the establishment clause.

Adding religious content to anything that is secular in nature is indeed religious imperialism. Why fight so hard to keep it in there?
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
i said that already. now i'll ask again, why so threatened? the magnitude of your objection is not at all compatible with the benign nature of the added words, at least relative to you. why so threatened at the mere mention of an entity you know for a fact is non existent? it makes absolutely no sense.
<quoted text>
adding the words "under god" to a ritualistic pledge hardly constitutes religious imperialism. what a drama "queen".
Ink

Warminster, PA

#301426 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>See, this is what I mean by 'inane' in describing your 'additions to the conversation'. Nearly all other religions refer to their Deities by name - not as 'God'. You know this very well. Yet you continue to insist that 'God' should be included in a recitation intended as a patriotic affirmation in a secular democracy.... and that 'God' should be featured on United States currency.
I still say that if 'God' is mentioned, we should name every Deity out there, as they are all represented in our citizenry - and frankly, I don't think many of us could haul currency that size around.
Of course, what I really say, is that 'God' has no place on United States currency, or in the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag which represents ALL citizens...not just those who worship ANY god.
But of course, you 'don't understand this'.
*sigh*
The word God is English. This is an english speaking country. In other languages He is known by other names. Is it offensive to speak the language of the in which you live?

I call Him God. My Spanish husband calls Him Dios. Guess what, He is the same God regardless of the language.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#301427 Jun 20, 2013
of the country in which you live

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#301428 Jun 20, 2013
eyeswideopen wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like someone constantly turned on sexually
I do? Perhaps you could clarify what your reasoning was in asserting such a thing. That way, I'll know whether or not you're simply jealous of what you believe to be my level of eroticism.
eyeswideopen wrote:
<quoted text>
and can't behave properly,
This, from a guy who believes his attendance at a Muslim wedding, qualifies him to chastise others for failing to believe in the Christian god. Are your Muslim friends citizens of the United States?
Please expound on why Islam isn't recognized on US currency.
eyeswideopen wrote:
<quoted text>
just have a little self control when you're out in public!
Trust me on this: my self control in public is exemplary of restraint. Otherwise, I'd have been imprisoned decades ago.

:)

Indianapolis

#301429 Jun 20, 2013
Bigoted? Not at all. You just didn't like it. Where does your catechism say souls make decisions?

My mom loved freedom of thought. Was that supposed to hurt me? You aren't capable of doing so; you're not good enough or smart enough. But it's a nice snapshot of your christianity.
persnickety wrote:
<quoted text>What a bigoted remark. Your mom is not proud of you.

Indianapolis

#301431 Jun 20, 2013
Actually, we are getting more and more religious crap OUT of government and legislation.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You are fighting a two hundred and fifty year old tradition. Faith and God have always been a part of the United States of America. I think you will just have to continue to be offended.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#301433 Jun 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The word God is English. This is an english speaking country. In other languages He is known by other names. Is it offensive to speak the language of the in which you live?
I call Him God. My Spanish husband calls Him Dios. Guess what, He is the same God regardless of the language.
With what religion does your Spanish husband identify?

I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess it isn't 'Buddhism'.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#301434 Jun 20, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Please expound on why Islam isn't recognized on US currency.:)
It is 'in God we trust'. It is just Allah in english.

Indianapolis

#301435 Jun 20, 2013
Only christians refer to their deity by the name "god"; jews sometimes use it instead of using the true name of their deity. It certainly doesn't apply to non-christians and jews.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't the case. "Under God" doesn't refer to any one religion.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#301436 Jun 20, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Actually, we are getting more and more religious crap OUT of government and legislation.
<quoted text>
I know.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#301438 Jun 20, 2013
eyeswideopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Already do, when someone is rude to us we give them the smackdown; just as we'd wish our friends and loved would do when someone is rude to them.
Sugar-pie, you may wish you've given anyone a 'smack-down'...but you wouldn't have the first clue how to begin.

Next...

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#301439 Jun 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
"God" is not a name. It's a description. Don't you KNOW the name of the Deity you worship?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#301441 Jun 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
It is 'in God we trust'. It is just Allah in english.
So in Farsi,'Allah' is pronounced 'God'?

Try again.

('English' is customarily capitalized, by the way.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,232,401
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 min Ratloder 70,016
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 53,485
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 22 hr The Rev 19,921
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Fri usherhollens 17
News Strangers Come To Hartford Student's Aid (Mar '09) May 21 didusayhome 120
News Conn. Gay Couple Accused of Molesting Adopted Sons (Dec '11) May 21 Smg 591
More from around the web

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]