Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310305 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#274626 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we are just going to go round and round on this point.
I keep saying that its okay for Ocean to try to get teenage girls to abstain from sex but that she should also stress that if/when the girl gets pregnant, that one of the options is to have the baby and put it up for adoption.
I keep trying to point this out to you, but its goes in one eye and out the other.
Why should she, when her point is for them to NOT HAVE SEX AT ALL?

“Never give up”

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

#274627 Jan 5, 2013
I gotta go and work on a special weekend project, see y'all later

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#274629 Jan 5, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
If he really thinks it's bad to warn teenaged girls of the hardships they may face as a teen mother, why is he here, instead of protesting outside of schools that send those girls home with the life-like babydolls designed to teach them the very same thing?
I imagine the fundie reaction would be that they're taking the wrong approach and they should be preaching that sex is "evil".

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274630 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
This is another case for girls/women needing to 'man up'. You should be teaching teenage girls to tell guys that if they truly love them, then they will wait until they are both 18 before having sex.
If the boys/men don't like that, tough. They can always make out with a blow up doll until they are 18.
Also, you can't blame men/boys and the lies they tell as the only reason for teenage girls getting pregnant. They are also being pressured by their peers to have sex. What teenage girl wants to be the only one in her school who hasn't had sex before the age of 18?
Mature women need to really stress to all teenage girls that having sex does not make you 'cool' or 'chic', it justs makes you a fool who then has to ask her parents to spend a lot of money on either getting an abortion or raising another child.
"This is another case for girls/women needing to 'man up'. You should be teaching teenage girls to tell guys that if they truly love them, then they will wait until they are both 18 before having sex.
If the boys/men don't like that, tough. They can always make out with a blow up doll until they are 18."

What? Are you serious? We're talking about the real world here. You know...puberty and raging hormones and all that?

"Also, you can't blame men/boys and the lies they tell as the only reason for teenage girls getting pregnant."

I never said that.

"Mature women need to really stress to all teenage girls that having sex does not make you 'cool' or 'chic', it justs makes you a fool who then has to ask her parents to spend a lot of money on either getting an abortion or raising another child."

And what are the "mature" men teaching the boys? How to be irresistible to the ladies? That screwing girls makes them a man? How to earn money for those blow-up dolls? How to score date rape drugs? That sex makes them "cool" with the other dudes? How to run and evade responsibility when they do get a girl pregnant? What?
Forum Mod

United States

#274631 Jan 5, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The program is designed to discourage girls from having sex by showing them the hardships of motherhood, Moron.
You are an idiot.
We're not talking about abortion here, but abstaining from sex.
Please refrain from the gratuitous name calling.

We reserve the right to remove posts containing personal attacks.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274632 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Women used to get married before the age of 18. It is written down somewhere that all of those young brides throughout the world went on to be miserable all their lives? There was no happy endings?
Look at the country music singer/legend Loretta Lynn, she married at 14, had kids, and was married to the same man until he died. I don't think she lived a miserable life.
When did I say married women are all miserable?

Loretta Lynn?

"Although married for almost fifty years, with six children, the Lynns' marriage was reportedly rocky up to Doolittle's death in 1996. In her 2002 autobiography, Still Woman Enough, and in an interview with CBS News the same year, Lynn recounts how her husband cheated on her regularly and once left her while she was giving birth. Lynn and her husband fought frequently, but, she said, "he never hit me one time that I didn't hit him back twice""

"Lynn married Oliver "Mooney" Lynn just a few months before her 14th birthday in January 1948. The following year, she and her husband moved to Washington State, where he hoped to find better work opportunities. Lynn stayed home to look after their growing family. The couple had four children together by the time Lynn turned 18."

"On her own, Lynn continued to score hits and even stirred up a bit of controversy. She wrote about the changing times for female sexuality with 1975's "The Pill," which some radio stations refused to play. The following year, Lynn published her first autobiography, Coal Miner's Daughter. The book became a best seller, publicly revealing some of the ups and downs in her professional and personal life, especially her stormy relationship with her husband. In 1980, the film version of the book was released, starring Sissy Spacek as Loretta and Tommy Lee Jones as her husband."

http://www.biography.com/people/loretta-lynn-...

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#274633 Jan 5, 2013
There's nothing in between? Some women married those "real men" only to be bored to tears because their hubbies only cared about money and/or status. Some married the men you despise and had a lot of fun along the way. And in between there are millions of inperfect but loving men with happy wives and happy families.

No matter how much you protest, you view pregnancy as the price women pay for having sex. That's a punishment.
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
You view pregnancy as punishment, I view it as something that is natural and good.
Also, ask most women if they would rather marry a 'real man' which I define as someone who works hard at everything he does and remains faithful to the woman he loves, or some handsome womanizer who cheats on her every chance he gets and then leaves her when his activities are finally revealed, and I bet that the vast majority of women who go with the real man.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274634 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
You view pregnancy as punishment, I view it as something that is natural and good.
Also, ask most women if they would rather marry a 'real man' which I define as someone who works hard at everything he does and remains faithful to the woman he loves, or some handsome womanizer who cheats on her every chance he gets and then leaves her when his activities are finally revealed, and I bet that the vast majority of women who go with the real man.
"You view pregnancy as punishment, I view it as something that is natural and good."

Fine, but you don't get to make that judgement for all women. Each woman get to decide for herself how she feels about it.

Indianapolis

#274635 Jan 5, 2013
There is no compromise where pregnancy is concerned; she takes all the risks.
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
No woman should stay married to a man who beats her and/or beats their children. That would be stupid and life-threatening.
But if what you mean by 'abusive' is defines as a man who doesn't always agree with his wife and agruments happen because of this, then I would say that a woman should stay married and learn to compromise with her husband. You can't always get what you want.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274636 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it so wrong for us 'misogynistic men' to try to reduce the odds of our wives getting involved with another man and getting impregnated by another man?
I think all cheating starts with a man liking what he sees and a woman liking what she sees. A wife dressing up sexy and then going out into out into public alone, like going shopping, will trigger a sexual response in all the men that she will encounter/pass by.
If a handsome guy starts flirting with her, she will be flattered by this, and she will likely start flirting back. Boom. It begins.
What? Reduce the odds? Like women don't have the strength of character to avoid an affair? You maybe think women are stupid and shallow and easily fall for flirting?

And now you have an issue with women going out into the public alone? You mean like an extremist Muslim?

Perhaps you'd like to see us all in burkas with just our eyes showing? And morality police beating us if a bit of hair shows? You are scaring me fella!

Indianapolis

#274637 Jan 5, 2013
Jesus...insecure much? What do you want--burqas? No matter how someone dresses, others may find them desirable and flirt. What you are saying is hat women are too weak to resist. You cannot stop temptation, but you can work on your own inability to trust.
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it so wrong for us 'misogynistic men' to try to reduce the odds of our wives getting involved with another man and getting impregnated by another man?
I think all cheating starts with a man liking what he sees and a woman liking what she sees. A wife dressing up sexy and then going out into out into public alone, like going shopping, will trigger a sexual response in all the men that she will encounter/pass by.
If a handsome guy starts flirting with her, she will be flattered by this, and she will likely start flirting back. Boom. It begins.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274638 Jan 5, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
There is SO much wrong here, I'm not sure where to begin.
You ASSume your wife will, not only 'flirt back', but will have sex with any man that just happens to hit on her, and then get pregnant by him? Really, BS?
Well, I'm sorry you can't trust your own wife, but you've missed the point. A man doesn't own his wife, and can't DEMAND she dress a certain way. Your idea of a "real man" is a tyrant.
You continue to prove you're a misogynist, mentally stuck in the 50s, clueless about the present.
50s? This guy is way beyond the fifties! He belongs in a Middle-East cave! This guy is pure TALIBAN. He talks just like them.

This "brave" guy is freakin nuts!

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274639 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify. For all the wives who have started an affair with a total stranger, it is likely that what enkindled the spark between them which led to them to start flirting, is that the woman was in a sexy outfit at the time.
Case in point, ask the women who have had affairs if their affair started just when she had got done running five miles in 90 degree weather and was standing there in baggy and sweaty workout clothes.
I doubt it. Its most likely that the affair started when she was wearing something which most men who deem 'sexy' and also had some nice perfume on.
Oh yeah...the woman should've been running in a full burka, right? With a car load of morality police going alongside of her, right? Maybe she should have a male relative around at all times to keep her in line, right?

You...are...crazy!

Indianapolis

#274640 Jan 5, 2013
I have never changed a diaper in my life, and would have refused in school. Not my kid, not my job. Is there any aspect of anyone's life you don't want to control? And what makes you think the mother would know how to do it right? Giving birth doesn't make anyone smarter.

Taking away the option of abortion means a surfeit of teenage mothers. That's an incredibly stupid idea.
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the best deterrent to having sex is to require that teenage girls (and boys) change dirty diapers.
Maybe our high schools could set up a classroom a few times a year which would have actual mothers and their babies spending a whole day in that classroom. All the students would be required to change one of the babies' diapers and try to get the babies to stop crying. Of course their mothers would be standing over the student's shoulders making sure she/he is doing it right.
Now for this to work though, you would have to take away the option of having an abortion until they are 18 years old. Otherwise, after taking this class they will just think to themselves, "I ain't worried about having to change diapers because I'll just abort the damn thing."

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#274641 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
I gotta go and work on a special weekend project, see y'all later
You're going out into society? Your poor female coworkers!

“Pro-Life”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#274642 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
This is another case for girls/women needing to 'man up'. You should be teaching teenage girls to tell guys that if they truly love them, then they will wait until they are both 18 before having sex.
If the boys/men don't like that, tough. They can always make out with a blow up doll until they are 18.
Also, you can't blame men/boys and the lies they tell as the only reason for teenage girls getting pregnant. They are also being pressured by their peers to have sex. What teenage girl wants to be the only one in her school who hasn't had sex before the age of 18?
Mature women need to really stress to all teenage girls that having sex does not make you 'cool' or 'chic', it justs makes you a fool who then has to ask her parents to spend a lot of money on either getting an abortion or raising another child.
Ocean's idea of how to dissuade teens from having sex and becoming pregnant is no different than parents who think that teaching a boy he'll go blind if he maturbates will help teen boys not masterbate. Ocean thinks causing teens to fear pregnancy and motherhood is productive and effective. it's not. It's a stupid way to teach something.

Real teaching comes in the form of parents developing self-respect in their sons and daughters, and respect for others. Then they'll understand and have the emotional strength not to pressure anyone into having sex, as well as not allowing themselves to be pressured into having sex, unless and until they are prepared to become parents should pregnancy result from that choice.

What teen ever learned anything from the "fear factor"? None that I know of. They don't listen because they think they're exempt from anything bad happening to them.

Ocean's posts are nothing more than a display of why the PCers shouldn't be teaching anything to anyone. Because they have no idea what to teach or how to teach it.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#274643 Jan 5, 2013
Forum Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Please refrain from the gratuitous name calling.
We reserve the right to remove posts containing personal attacks.
LOL, nonsense. I'd have gotten a warning from Topix if I'd done something wrong. I've gotten none.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#274644 Jan 5, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Then WHAT is your problem with Ocean promoting abstinence for teenaged girls by outlining the hardships they may face?
You are contradicting yourself.
Ocean's post are useless except to make teen girls fear motherhood at any point in their lives.

I've seen grown women afraid to have kids due to fearing childbirth, because of idiots who instilled in their minds as teens that women DIE in childbirth.

The hardships listed without the balance of the joys listed is irresponsible. But, leave it to pro-choicer boneheads to just teach doom and gloom, so that if pregnancy happened, by golly there's always ABORTION to avoid those "hardships".

You're all dimwits.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#274645 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Promoting abstinence is a good thing. We need to reduce teenage pregnancies in this nation. Yet, Ocean's solution to reducing teenage pregnancies is to scare teenage girls so much that they will immediately run out and get an abortion. She sends them the message that all the hardships they will have to endure will make them miserable for the rest of their lives.
What she should do is to tell them about all the hardships but also stress that if/when they do get pregnant that one option is to put their baby up for adoption or if you and your parents are up to it, go ahead and raise that child.
"Yet, Ocean's solution to reducing teenage pregnancies is to scare teenage girls so much that they will immediately run out and get an abortion. She sends them the message that all the hardships they will have to endure will make them miserable for the rest of their lives."

Exactly. The way pro-choicers think, behave and try to teach is all based on their own mind boggling ignorance.

“Pro-Life”

Location hidden

#274646 Jan 5, 2013
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. By sending them home with life-like babydolls this may actually encourage them to keep and raise a baby if they were to have one. So, I'm not against this.
Isn't there a doll that cries periodically, pees and is life like; that some schools use in certain Home Ecs. classes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min DBWriter 1,261,582
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr OzRitz 54,328
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 hr Ariel Sharon 70,139
News Police: Suspect Tried To Strangle Woman (Mar '08) 14 hr 88Erab 171
News Gibbs College campus will be shut down (Feb '08) 14 hr cramirezperea 107
Do you really think that East Hartford is a "sa... (Sep '11) 21 hr sammar 10
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 22 hr eezy reder 20,088
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages