Groton Man Held For Trial In Deaths O...

Groton Man Held For Trial In Deaths Of 2 In 2006 -- Courant.com

There are 37 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 21, 2007, titled Groton Man Held For Trial In Deaths Of 2 In 2006 -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A Superior Court judge ruled Friday that there is sufficient evidence to bring a 19-year-old man to trial in the shooting deaths of two Groton men on Memorial Day weekend in 2006.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rae giesing

Portsmouth, NH

#1 Sep 22, 2007
my son gregory died fighting for his life.he cut ian cooke about the face,neck and chin,he also held onto that knife,ian cooke must have grabbed the blade end.the moment my son gregory giesing was being pronounced dead to me at l and m hospital in new london,surgeons were operating on ian cooke to attach his severed fingers.my son fought for his life,he idid this on a daily basis for 25 years.he was my amazing miracle son.he wasn't supposed to make it through the first nine hours of surjury the day he was born.they found 2 knifes by my son's body.this was another probation gone wrong.ian cooke should have never been on the streets of any community.he was in the 2nd year of probation for posesion of a sawed off shotgun,12 stolen guns from his dad,home made pipebombs and threats to waterford high school.my son died in vain. rae giesing mystic conn.
Retired CO

Norwich, CT

#2 Sep 23, 2007
I empathize with you and am sorry for the loss of your family members at this maniac's hands.
They never found my cousin's body. She was kidnapped in 1973 and all they found was her bicycle. Her name was Janet Pockett and you can go to the CSP website and read very little about her case. I hope they find her murderer before I pass on. I would see her picture in the post offices for years in her white communion dress. This is one of many open unsolved murder cases in CT.
I hope you have contemplated a civil suit against the state with other victems of homocides that have occurred with th parolees that never should have been released back into society.
There is a group I believed called Victims Of Homocides which meets together several times a year. They share their feelings and anger and celebrate their loved one's life stories.
I had a contact at the Victems Advocates Office which helps certain relatives or survivors of homocides but she retired. There are state services available through the judiciary that can help you in many ways. God bless.
EGervais

Norwich, CT

#4 May 21, 2008
I valued the time I had with Greg he was the most amazing person I have ever met in my life. I loved hanging out with him and Derek they both had an amazingly positive view of the world and could always make me laugh. Concerned Citizen what are you concerned about, how best to magnify a mourning mothers grief, get a grip on reality. Rae your sons were some of the best people I have ever had the privilage to know. Ian was a pathetic loser who fantasized about kiling his classmates for no reason. He did a great disservice to the world by removing Greg and Derek from it, and will have to live with the consequences of that desision for the rest of his life and possibly for the rest of eternity.
water4d 4L

Groton, CT

#5 Aug 7, 2008
I love that no one reads the other side of the story... concerned citizen hit the point...
The 2 kids dealt drugs... and Ian was attacked when trying to pass off counterfit money for the real thing...
I knew the "pathetic loser" and can tell you he's smarter then any of you... he isn't a mean person he was actully liked by the ones who knew him.
anyone can be provoked to do anything that comes to mind... he took it a step further and desided to take the lives of his attackers...
He's short, fat, and isn't athletic at all...
So don't try and tell me he went out of his way to attack these two kids...
I'm sorry for the loss, anyones life infact...
No matter what a life should not be taken for any reason...
So don't get caught up in good vs. bad we all have good and bad in us...
D Ericson

Groton, CT

#6 Oct 8, 2008
water4d 4L wrote:
I love that no one reads the other side of the story... concerned citizen hit the point...
The 2 kids dealt drugs... and Ian was attacked when trying to pass off counterfit money for the real thing...
I knew the "pathetic loser" and can tell you he's smarter then any of you... he isn't a mean person he was actully liked by the ones who knew him.
anyone can be provoked to do anything that comes to mind... he took it a step further and desided to take the lives of his attackers...
He's short, fat, and isn't athletic at all...
So don't try and tell me he went out of his way to attack these two kids...
I'm sorry for the loss, anyones life infact...
No matter what a life should not be taken for any reason...
So don't get caught up in good vs. bad we all have good and bad in us...
Water4d and condcerned citizen-I would like to know where you are getting YOUR facts. Have you been to court 40+ times since the murders. Well my family and I have,and your understanding of the "truth" just bewilders me. Ian Cooke is in fact a monster and someday he will be sentenced to a very long time in jail for what he has done. He went to Derek and Gregs home and murdered them in cold blood. Sure if they weren't selling dope maybe none of this would have happenned. But it unfortunately did and now he will pay the price. Derek was SLEEPING when he was shot. Greg was at home upstairs while his wife slept. The wounds that the murderer sufferred were from Greg fighting for his life. Concerned was right about one thing. His "loving" wife Laurel wasted precious time hiding drugs instead of calling 911 while Greg was bleeding to death. She will have to answer to God for that. Water was also right in that Ian is a fat out of shape monster, but oh how much bigger he was with a sawed off shotgun in hand. He was in trouble long before these murders happenned. The courts let him walk free. God willing, I hope your families never have to suffer the loss of your loved ones. One more thing, you say Ian was attacked? Greg was confined to a wheelchair since the day he was born. Tell me how it is again that he attacked his killer? Just curious.
elizabeth

Buzzards Bay, MA

#7 Jan 2, 2009
Derek and Greg were both enigmatic and fun people to be around. Derek I knew much better than I did Greg, but anyone critizing their lifetyles' is way off, and completely out of line. I knew Derek to be a lover of life, travel, family and friends. I also knew him to be a true friend, as in helping a loved one of mine leave a life of drugs behind. Pointing fingers, at anyone involved, is useless, pointless and ignorant. They are loved, they are still with us (Derek in particular still leads me on a straiht path). It's nice to share an opinion, but if you aren't close with Derek, Greg, Laurel and their families, perhaps you should keep your thoughts (aka judgements)to yourselves.
Tony Giesing

Groton, CT

#8 Apr 20, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Okay. For one, his fingers werent severed. Get your facts straight. Two, your kids were a bunch of drug dealers. Great parenting. And three, your son wouldnt have had a problem if his drugged out wife was actually awake and coherant enough to call 911 before letting your son die while she hid his drugs. Just because your kids died before they were caught doing the illegal stuff that this kid has been "accused" of doesnt make it any better. Great parenting, you have to live with that for the rest of your life.
Concerned citizen. You know nothing. I am one of the survivng brothers. Your knowledge of this seems pretty close to the "suspect". Your probably kin. I understand your cowardice in not including your name here. I do really hope that you will reconsider being such a wretched coward, and will post your identity, or contact us with it. If you are *so* informed about what *really* happened, why not enlighten us? That's what I thought. And for the record, my brother was in a wheelchair when he inflicted those wounds on your (son?). It was only the fact that he had a gun that saved that monster. He would never have survived a heads up altercation with Greg, that weak shitbag twat. And you have to live with the fact that you have a fondness for douchebag murderers for the rest of your life. May you get yours.
Tony Giesing

Groton, CT

#9 Apr 20, 2009
water4d 4L wrote:
I love that no one reads the other side of the story... concerned citizen hit the point...
The 2 kids dealt drugs... and Ian was attacked when trying to pass off counterfit money for the real thing...
I knew the "pathetic loser" and can tell you he's smarter then any of you... he isn't a mean person he was actully liked by the ones who knew him.
anyone can be provoked to do anything that comes to mind... he took it a step further and desided to take the lives of his attackers...
He's short, fat, and isn't athletic at all...
So don't try and tell me he went out of his way to attack these two kids...
I'm sorry for the loss, anyones life infact...
No matter what a life should not be taken for any reason...
So don't get caught up in good vs. bad we all have good and bad in us...
You are a useless fucktard. Your opinion is based on your proximity to this incident. We know you're trying to put us off the scent. You should have just remained quiet. That would have been more effective... Skewing things against the victim is classic misdirection. You think you're smart? You have asserted the intelligence of a murderer who was caught moments after he committed a crime that he had planned in advance. Some authority on intelligence you are. Douchebag.
rae giesing

Stonington, CT

#10 Apr 24, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Okay. For one, his fingers werent severed. Get your facts straight. Two, your kids were a bunch of drug dealers. Great parenting. And three, your son wouldnt have had a problem if his drugged out wife was actually awake and coherant enough to call 911 before letting your son die while she hid his drugs. Just because your kids died before they were caught doing the illegal stuff that this kid has been "accused" of doesnt make it any better. Great parenting, you have to live with that for the rest of your life.
i am a proud parent~i can live with myself~i will never let mean ignorant ill informed no name losers ever upset me again~since i wrote my first post in this forum~i have become stronger,and colder to the world around myself and my family~living and working in this area all of my life~people know me.information has been shared with me about the monster who so coldly,calculatingly,planned with others to murder greg and derek.(this in my opinion does not make ian cooke a genius~it just makes him a cold evil monster who was let out to continue his quest for murder~if he was not caught the first time~who knows how many high school students would have lost their lives with those pipebombs,12 stolen guns from his father,and possesion of a sawed off shotgun)btw who in their right mind would give him a partially sealed probation?youthful offender status no less???????that was my point in writing the first time~~i hope they sleep well knowing they could have done something about him back then~~elementary school teachers and classmates of ian cooke don't remember him as a likeable boy~i was told he was a loner,made fun of constantly~i was told by this teacher that she she and the classmates said he spoke of wanting to know what it felt like to kill someone~this was when he was in trouble for the guns and homemade pipebombs~this column was originally about violent parolees comitting new violent crimes after being out on probation and or parole~my parenting skills were not the topic~i dont think anyone really cares about my skills~ and yes,my son inflicted serious knife wounds in defense~his neck~chin,and fingers were severly cut~i was told it was greg who inflicted these wounds~serious enogh to reqire surgury the same moments a few feet away as i waited in a room,waited for them to come in,a doctor,a nurse,and 2 policeman~to tell me greg was murdered~we have been to court 49 times,april 30th will make 50 times~i have seen ians father once~at the first day of probable cause~his mother?i think came once~we figured out who she was~where ids the love or support for this kind lovable young boy?????right or wrong~my sons are my sons~i will proudly support them in any given situation~even if i don't approve of their deeds~my love is stronger than the deeds~of they did wrong~they paid the price~but i was always,and will alwys be there to show my love and support for them~but no one ever shows for ian cooke~
rae giesing

Stonington, CT

#12 May 4, 2009
i stated what i was told at the hospital and from the groton town police~why hide your name?i know my son was a hero~only cowards go to someone's home with a sawed off shotgun with intentions of killing~~and shooting someone in a wheelchair is the bravest thing i have heard about ian cooke~~anonymous~if you have facts about this double murder~contact the prosecutors office in new london~and yes~a hero greg was by cutting ian cooke from his chair~making sure the d n a was overwhelming~you have no idea who my son was~everyone who knew greg would post their true identity~we really don't need you to tell us who greg was~we were blessed to have him~i pity you~
Nikki Norwich ct

Stevenson, CT

#16 Jun 1, 2009
i knew greg ,he was a great guy who saved my life and ian cooke should die for what he did .gret was like no one else and did not deserve what happened to him .ian coke is a little b*tch for what he did and should of been put in jail the first time he got caught with guns . his mother should of gotten an abortion .he was and is a mistake .geg and his brother were good people who did not deserve this and they are missed nd thought about daily while ian sits in prison being someones toy for the rest of his sorry life
Jason Giesing

Groton, CT

#17 Jun 6, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
"surgeons were operating on ian cooke to attach his severed fingers"
Get your facts straight lady- his fingers were not severed. Stop making your son out to be the hero he wasnt.
I am offering a reward to the confirmed identity of the anonymous poster. Thanks
Greg is my hero

Plainfield, CT

#19 Jun 7, 2009
I only knew Greg, and it wasn't for very long, but he touched my heart and life in such a positive way. He was not just some drug dealer, he was an amazing human being. He was stronger than any person I have ever known and he inspired me to strive for greatness and to never give up. I too like Greg was born with Spinabifida and he showed me that I should never give up on my dreams and to always believe in myself. He also taught me to enjoy life despite the "disability". I dont have to tell anyone who knew him how amazing he was. As for Ian, I believe he will get what he deserves in the end whatever that may be. He took two wonderful people from this world and now they are both angels in heaven looking down on all of us once again. I feel pity for Ian actually. Obviously he had a troubled life to be making poor choices over and over again and then getting away with them was an injustice to him and to his victims. Hopefully he will get the mental help he needs so that he doesn't hurt anyone else. God Bless everyone, especially the Giesing family, you are all in my heart and prayers!
casey giesing

United States

#21 Oct 26, 2009
I just now 3 years later come across this forum. wish i would have found it sooner. i only want to respond to a couple things that were posted. 1) mr. innocent ian t cooke who is being defended by a friend or famly member by saying his deadly actions were justified because he was attacked when passing counterfiet money off as authentic cash? he just happened to be carrying a sawed off shot gun shot his "attacker" and then instead of running decided to take the time out to make his way downstairs to kill another? and what good excuse do you have for why he went down stairs? and this "attacker"was confined to a wheel chair do u really think u can convince us that he killed them in self defence cuz if you do your as crazy as ian is trying to play. 2) to the one who critisised linda and rae's parenting skills for raising a couple kids who sold some hippie drugs why not critisise ian cooke's parnts for raising a drug user and murderer. id rather my child profit from scumbags bad habbits than go aroundnd heartlessly taking away lives. i dont think rae or linda have anything to be ashamed of. but those who defend murderers should be extremly ashamed. derek and greg were amazing brothers. i was very lucky to be blessed with such brothers.
casey giesing

United States

#22 Oct 26, 2009
Btw the beggining of my last post was sarcasm. in no way ian is or has ever been innocent! i just couldnt believe someone actually tried to say he was just in his actions because he was attacked with a blade. thats such bs. even IF that were true he could have ran got in his car and pulled off. then he could make the choice to report it to the authorties or not. the kid who said that is strait up lacking brain cells
rae giesing

Mystic, CT

#24 Mar 6, 2010
jury selection is only days away~march 9th,2010.my only wish is for no pleas,no deals~i do not want him out ever again to murder someone else~it may take a few months to select a jury~r i p greg and derek~truth is only a matter of weeks away~~punishment should fit the crime~ greg's mom~~rae giesing~
Seriously

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Apr 9, 2010
to "concerned citizen"..f*** you you retard...I can't believe you could say something like that to somebody who just had their kid killed. Another prime example of shitty parenting in our country, is you.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Okay. For one, his fingers werent severed. Get your facts straight. Two, your kids were a bunch of drug dealers. Great parenting. And three, your son wouldnt have had a problem if his drugged out wife was actually awake and coherant enough to call 911 before letting your son die while she hid his drugs. Just because your kids died before they were caught doing the illegal stuff that this kid has been "accused" of doesnt make it any better. Great parenting, you have to live with that for the rest of your life.

Since: Mar 10

Mystic, CT

#26 Apr 21, 2010
an update~Ian T Cooke was found guilty on all four counts today~capitol felony~2 counts of murder~and posession of a sawed off shot gun~he will be sentenced on june 4th 2010.the capitol felony carries life without parole~good job greg!there was never a doubt in this mother;s mind~rest easy greg~
friend

Chicago, IL

#27 Jul 4, 2010
ian was a smart kid and its a shame to see him go off the deep end. I wish he fixed his life up the first time he got caught. its a shame that he had to do this. and i dont think we will ever know what actually caused this crime, whether it was the drugs, he was trying to steal a large amount of cash, or ian just went crazy. the kids he robbed were BIG BIG TIME drug dealers

Since: Mar 10

Mystic, CT

#28 Jul 6, 2010
friend wrote:
ian was a smart kid and its a shame to see him go off the deep end. I wish he fixed his life up the first time he got caught. its a shame that he had to do this. and i dont think we will ever know what actually caused this crime, whether it was the drugs, he was trying to steal a large amount of cash, or ian just went crazy. the kids he robbed were BIG BIG TIME drug dealers
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO MY SON WAS~OR DEREK FOR THAT MATTER~I CAN SPEAK FOR MY SON GREGORY~HE WAS NO BIG TIME DRUG DEALER~DEAL WITH IT~IAN COOKE WAS OFF THE CHARTS FOR YEARS.THE FAMILY IGNORED,AND TRIED TO HIDE HIS PRIOR CRIMES~THE FAMILY HAD MORE THAN ONE WARNING AT LEAST 2 YEARS PRIOR TO HIM MURDERING TWO INNOCENT YOUNG MEN.WHY WAS THIS YOUTHFUL OFFENDER,LIVING ON HIS OWN IN A ROOMATE SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER SUPERVISION?WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS YOUNG OFFENDER WHEN THEY PUT HIM ON PROBATION FOR THE 12 STOLEN GUNS,SAWED OFF SHOT GUN AND PIPE BOMBS? HE WAS RAISED BY HIS FATHER~~SO WHY WAS HE NOT RESIDING WITH HIS FATHER WHILE ON PROBATION?WHY WAS NO FAMILY MEMBER CONCERNED HE WAS UNSUPERVISED?SAY WHAT YOU WANT,BUT THE FACT IS IAN COOKE IS AN EVIL DESTRUCTIVE DOUBLE MURDERED~CONVICTED,AND SENTENCED~TIME TO FACE FACTS~IT IS WHAT IT IS~STOP TRYING TO BLAME THE VICTIMS~IT SHOWS YOUR INABILITY TO DEAL WITH REALITY,JUST LIKE HIM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Injudgement 1,347,787
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 57,316
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Ozzie Malone 310,661
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 hr Carl 72,024
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Wed Sam 70,207
News Rabid raccoon bites Bridgeport man Feb 9 BPT 1
News Teacher's Aide At Berlin High Arrested (May '07) Feb 7 Never 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages