Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#48598 Jul 6, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"motheaten", a sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liar, has no science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an excellently earned high school diploma or science & mathematics degrees to determine that Antarctic volcanic activity has increased to cause recent Antarctic warming. However, present man-made non-phase change infra-red energy absorbing GHGs, with primary & secondary feedbacks, plus phase change infra-red energy absorbing water vapor with primary & secondary feedbacks already account for Earth warming.
"motheaten" has no ability to support its sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liar position.
I see you're a one trick pony.
litesong

Everett, WA

#48599 Jul 6, 2014
mudbuilder wrote:
I see you're a no trick, sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liar, having no science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an excellently earned high school diploma or science & mathematics degrees.

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#48600 Jul 6, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you're a no trick, sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liar, having no science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an excellently earned high school diploma or science & mathematics degrees.
I see you failed English too.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#48601 Jul 6, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>To a denier:

Superlative posting.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#48602 Jul 6, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you failed English too.
Always looking for company and compliments in the wrong places..

Muddy posting..

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#48603 Jul 6, 2014
Mothra wrote:
And as a bonus... from your site:
Press Release - First evidence of under-ice volcanic eruption in Antarctica
Issue date: 20 Jan 2008
Number: 02/2008
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/bas_research/scie...
Check the date... every one of the references in your link occurs BEFORE this discovery, so there is no way the could account for the effect of said volcanoes.
OMG! Could melting ice be caused by natural events? Warmist will be quick not say not so... break out that rolodex!... we gotta have a study handy to "debunk" this one.
LOL
You have the link wrong.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/press/press_relea...

Your link itself debunks your claim; no need to look elsewhere.

“This eruption occurred close to Pine Island Glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. The flow of this glacier towards the coast has speeded up in recent decades and it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration. However, it cannot explain the more widespread thinning of West Antarctic glaciers that together are contributing nearly 0.2mm per year to sea-level rise. This wider change most probably has its origin in warming ocean waters.”
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#48604 Jul 6, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said anything about creationists?
Warmers are glued to their religion regardless of documented proof of spurious evidence, common sense, and the world around them.
You are one. Then you can't help but lie muddily.

The world knows the evidence:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

"the green troll"

#48605 Jul 6, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? How many? How long? Any new ones?
Don't run.. or play any of your petty word games.
http://bit.ly/1qLSHeG
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#48606 Jul 6, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope... he's got two tricks. One is the jibber-jabber posts. The other is to put Judge-It icons on everyone.

But actually contributing? Nope. Just a troll to ignore.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#48607 Jul 6, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the link wrong.
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/press/press_relea...
Your link itself debunks your claim; no need to look elsewhere.
“This eruption occurred close to Pine Island Glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. The flow of this glacier towards the coast has speeded up in recent decades and it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration. However, it cannot explain the more widespread thinning of West Antarctic glaciers that together are contributing nearly 0.2mm per year to sea-level rise. This wider change most probably has its origin in warming ocean waters.”
Actually, not at all-- unless they can tell us about the condition of all the sea floor surfaces.

Do they? Otherwise, on what do they base that conclusion?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#48608 Jul 6, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
http://bit.ly/1qLSHeG
Non responsive. You made the claim. You back it up... if you can.
litesong

Everett, WA

#48609 Jul 6, 2014
mudbuilder bluffed:
/////////
litesong wrote:
//////////
mudbuilder bluffed:
I see you failed English.....
//////////
litesong wrote:
Passed English, but write so sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liars understand.

Meanwhile, mudbuilder, who is a sleepy sleazy slimy steenking toxic topix AGW denier liar, has no science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an excellently earned high school diploma or science & mathematics degrees.

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#48610 Jul 6, 2014
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s most accurate, up-to-date temperature data confirm the United States has been cooling for at least the past decade. The NOAA temperature data are driving a stake through the heart of alarmists claiming accelerating global warming.

Responding to widespread criticism that its temperature station readings were corrupted by poor citing issues and suspect adjustments, NOAA established a network of 114 pristinely sited temperature stations spread out fairly uniformly throughout the United States. Because the network, known as the U.S. Climate Reference Network (USCRN), is so uniformly and pristinely situated, the temperature data require no adjustments to provide an accurate nationwide temperature record. USCRN began compiling temperature data in January 2005. Now, nearly a decade later, NOAA has finally made the USCRN temperature readings available.

According to the USCRN temperature readings, U.S. temperatures are not rising at all – at least not since the network became operational 10 years ago. Instead, the United States has cooled by approximately 0.4 degrees Celsius, which is more than half of the claimed global warming of the twentieth century.

Of course, 10 years is hardly enough to establish a long-term trend. Nevertheless, the 10-year cooling period does present some interesting facts.

"the green troll"

#48611 Jul 6, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, not at all-- unless they can tell us about the condition of all the sea floor surfaces.
Do they? Otherwise, on what do they base that conclusion?
As usual, you argue from ignorance.

Active volcanism beneath the West Antarctic ice sheet and implications for ice-sheet stability

Here we present aerogeophysical evidence for active volcanism and associated elevated heat flow beneath the WAIS near the critical region where ice streaming begins.

Nature, 1993

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v361/n64...

"the green troll"

#48612 Jul 6, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Non responsive. You made the claim. You back it up... if you can.
As usual, when pointed to the answer to your question, you run away.

Hop off, little rabbit.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#48613 Jul 6, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Rain is condensed vapour. More vapour, more rain. More heat, more vapour. More CO2, more heat.
^^^The green troll's argument for global warming curing droughts is commendable. What's not to love about global warming?

CO2 isn't heat, heat comes from the sun. Carbon dioxide is so beautiful, it is transparent to visible sunlight and only shines by Earthlight. Without water vapor and carbon dioxide in our atmosphere, we'd starve and freeze.

Mankind has always adapted to climate change, Dubai is building an indoor city. Why buy into mitigating climate change without even a single experimental test to show either it can cause more good than harm or benefits more than it costs?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#48614 Jul 6, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
The Antarctic sea is WARMING. Didn't you know?
As the seas warm, they emit carbon dioxide into the air like an open soda pop. There is 25 times more CO2 in the aquasphere than in the atmosphere.

What's not to love about global warming?
New ice age

Los Angeles, CA

#48615 Jul 6, 2014
Reported. global sea ice area, as of Sunday morning, stood at 0.991 million square kilometers above average.(The figure was arrived at by adding the Northern Hemisphere anomaly and the Southern Hemisphere anomaly. A graph provided by The Cryosphere Today showed the global anomaly as 1.005 million square kilometers.)
Although early computer models predicted a diminishment of both Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere sea ice due to anthropogenic global warming, subsequent modeling has posited that the results of warming around Antarctica would, counter-intuitively, generate sea ice growth.
The steady growth of Antarctic sea ice and its influence on global sea ice appeared to provide a public relations problem, at a minimum, for those warning of global warming’s menace.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#48616 Jul 7, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Is this what you offer to disprove? FAIL.
You are wrong again. I did not say months but weeks. However, I would have been right because NASA says first results to be available next year. How long to go? More than SIX months?
Give it up; you have neither science nor mathematics.
You have neither intelligence or commonsense, Forest.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#48617 Jul 7, 2014
New ice age wrote:
Reported. global sea ice area, as of Sunday morning, stood at 0.991 million square kilometers above average.(The figure was arrived at by adding the Northern Hemisphere anomaly and the Southern Hemisphere anomaly. A graph provided by The Cryosphere Today showed the global anomaly as 1.005 million square kilometers.)
Although early computer models predicted a diminishment of both Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere sea ice due to anthropogenic global warming, subsequent modeling has posited that the results of warming around Antarctica would, counter-intuitively, generate sea ice growth.
The steady growth of Antarctic sea ice and its influence on global sea ice appeared to provide a public relations problem, at a minimum, for those warning of global warming’s menace.
Increased ice levels means more displacement which means higher sea levels. Just the opposite of the melting ice claims by the climate clowns. Somehow,I assume they think everyone is as stupid as they are, think that melting ice caps will add to the sea levels globally. Funny how there is no increase on the west coast but there is on the east coast.(But, don't tell them about erosion and the continental shelf. Shhhh, facts scare them.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 309,742
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,223,644
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 69,782
TS Tiffany Lord HIV POSITIVE.Beware! 5 hr manny 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr Tom Waits 19,885
justin c. freeman attorney hartford, ct is a sh... 14 hr weatherfieldguy112 1
Review: Nirenstein Horowitz And Associates (Sep '12) Sat cdonald18 35
More from around the web

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]