Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63930 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

litesong

Everett, WA

#45446 Apr 4, 2014
motheaten wrote:
Your Friday meds... take 'em!
Yes, nurse. Or does that term refer to the sleazy slimy steenking toxic AGW denier liar appendage you suck on.
truth facts

Lewis Center, OH

#45448 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
As you would typify a typical bagger position, they find everything wrong but never a solution to anything. From the UN, Greenies, Illegal's, blacks, welfare, government, science, etc etc. In fact they don't identify with anything except for others who also think everything is wrong. It's not exactly problem solving at its highest level or at any level.
The solutions that your King and progressives are throwing out there are working?I'll laugh about that all weekend.Your master is destroying this once great nation but your to ignorant to see it.Especially when you put the UN in your statement.There's more corruption at the UN then there is in Chicago.Ridiculous,the fking UN needs to go away.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45449 Apr 4, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
<quoted text>What a bunch of babbling,incoherent nonsense from a lefturd TROLL! Straight out of the progressive playbook.
Agreed.

Moreso than other warmists, Oz fills his global warming screeds with a nonstop, plethora of leftwing talking points... as if that makes the 'sky is falling' doomsday scenario any more credible.
litesong

Everett, WA

#45450 Apr 4, 2014
litesong wrote:
......presently, the high Arctic, over millions of square kilometers, hasn't had a temperature as low as the norm for almost 5 months.
A little more exactly, the average temperature above the 80th parallel has been above its normal for ~135 days. Presently, it appears to be the longest time above its 50+ year average, recorded during that period. If anyone else can find a longer period in the last 50 years, please post. It is quite remarkable.

It is not coincidental that these AGW energy enhanced temperatures have forced winter cold Arctic air, due to darkness & no direct heat from the sun, to the south, causing major cold troubles for Canada & the U.S. this winter.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45451 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
No they have decided the emissions tap is not going to be turned off soon enough so it's time to start looking for waders. I think it's ironic that during the cold war when the threat was a nuke raining down on your head all you would be tea baggers were building bomb shelters in the back yard. How times have changed.
i've said many times that i'm independent. i prefer to think for myself.....you should try it sometime if that's possible!

the cold war posed a real threat. co2 mitigation doesn't pose a real solution to climate variability. in fact, there are no solutions to climate change. it is ever changing, so adapt or die. a carbon credit won't help you in a hurricane...past or present.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45452 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Another sock puppet bagger posting lies. I'll ask you once again, why would anyone want to sponsor a doomsday message. This is the whole point lost on you fox zombies, if science is a money scam why bother doing any research at all. It's only the research that you DON'T approve of that must be dubious. Even when science finally mapped human DNA what about the million$ spent on that project. It was worldwide and the results shared worldwide, why wasn't that a scam. If you are going to be selective about science then it only shows your ignorance.
will increased tornadoes and hurricanes or the lack of both prove your pseudoscience wrong?

you can't have it both ways.....and don't play semantics with "intensity", etc.

research that.
litesong

Everett, WA

#45453 Apr 4, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ","middleofthedownwr onggully"] you repeat the very same post ......[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your encouragement to repeat it again:

The AGW enhanced temperatures in the high Arctic have been rising for 50+ years(more?), such that presently, the high Arctic, over millions of square kilometers, hasn't had a temperature as low as the norm for almost 5 months. Over millions of square kilometers the temperature has been as high as 16degC(29degF) over normal. So much AGW enhanced energy is in the Arctic, that Arctic cold, due to winter darkness & no direct sunlight, has easily been driven south to Canada & the U.S., often & all winter long.

The Canadian & U.S. winters have been so bad, that sleazy, slimy steenking toxic AGW denier liars have to cheer(like cheerleaders?) over a 'nice spring day', altho AGW caused billions(trillions?) of dollars of economic loss during the winter.

A little more exactly, the average temperature above the 80th parallel has been above its normal for ~135 days. Presently, it appears to be the longest time above its 50+ year average, recorded during that period. If anyone else can find a longer period in the last 50 years, please post. It is quite remarkable.

It is not coincidental that these AGW energy enhanced temperatures have forced winter cold Arctic air, due to darkness & no direct heat from the sun, to the south, causing major cold troubles for Canada & the U.S. this winter.

Again, thank you for your excitement about this interesting development & your desire that lots of people know about it...... repeatedly!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45454 Apr 4, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your encouragement to repeat it again:
The AGW enhanced temperatures in the high Arctic have been rising for 50+ years(more?), such that presently, the high Arctic, over millions of square kilometers, hasn't had a temperature as low as the norm for almost 5 months. Over millions of square kilometers the temperature has been as high as 16degC(29degF) over normal. So much AGW enhanced energy is in the Arctic, that Arctic cold, due to winter darkness & no direct sunlight, has easily been driven south to Canada & the U.S., often & all winter long.
The Canadian & U.S. winters have been so bad, that sleazy, slimy steenking toxic AGW denier liars have to cheer(like cheerleaders?) over a 'nice spring day', altho AGW caused billions(trillions?) of dollars of economic loss during the winter.
A little more exactly, the average temperature above the 80th parallel has been above its normal for ~135 days. Presently, it appears to be the longest time above its 50+ year average, recorded during that period. If anyone else can find a longer period in the last 50 years, please post. It is quite remarkable.
It is not coincidental that these AGW energy enhanced temperatures have forced winter cold Arctic air, due to darkness & no direct heat from the sun, to the south, causing major cold troubles for Canada & the U.S. this winter.
Again, thank you for your excitement about this interesting development & your desire that lots of people know about it...... repeatedly!
what will it take, son? are future mild winters or severely cold ones more likely to cause you to reassess your misguided beliefs?

you like to play both sides of the street, huh, trixie?
litesong

Everett, WA

#45455 Apr 4, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ","middleofthedownwr onggully"].... both sides of the street....[/QUOTE]

"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" only has the middle of the down wrong gully.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45456 Apr 4, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>will increased tornadoes and hurricanes or the lack of both prove your pseudoscience wrong?
you can't have it both ways.....and don't play semantics with "intensity", etc.
research that.
A theory predicting everything predicts nothing

According to the theory of catastrophic climate change you might expect to see any or all of the following:

Warm places getting warmer
Warm places getting colder
Cold places getting warmer
Cold places getting colder
Dry places getting drier
Dry places getting wetter
Wet places getting dryer
Wet places getting wetter
Unchanged places getting unchanged-er

Nearly everything is proof of the magic theory, there’s even a list. Heads they win, clichés, you lose. In addition, this “settled science” offers dozens of sometimes contradictory models which spit out a ridiculously broad range of predictions encompassing nearly every outcome. Common sense: if the undeniable, irrefutable, hard science is “settled” why isn’t there just one precise model?

Furthermore, when their predictions don’t come true, like the prediction of more frequent hurricanes and tornadoes after Katrina, they simply find some way of claiming it really was explained by the theory all along. Another gambit is to place predictions so far into the future as to be unfalsifiable until such time as the climate prophesier is either long in his/her grave, or at a minimum extremely elderly, off drooling somewhere in a rest home instead of on the job. According to the infallible theory of anthropogenic global tautology, everything is proof of the theory, either now, or until such time as virtually forever happens.

On the subject of forever, even 100 years is short in climate-scale time. While temperature might not be rocketing ahead at an exponential rate, technology certainly is. Some, like brainy wizard Ray Kurzweil, say that if well documented trends continue, in as little as 35 years, technology will be so advanced as to render the future unrecognizable. Even now we see the cost curves of alternative energy and storage technologies plunging to soon devastate fossil fuels.

Common sense: who will be burning dinosaur fossil fuels for energy in just 100 years? The stone age did not end for lack of stones.

To get mildly technical, physics tells us the globe should heat about 1°C for each new doubling of CO2 (ignoring other negative and positive forcings). At the current nearly linear increase in CO2, that doubling would take nearly 200 years: by then man will have evolved into Homo GeorgeJetson, the unrecognizably futuristic man.

Warming theorists generally accept this 1°C baseline, but fret that the tiny warming will cause a runaway cascade of water vapor that will steam clean the planet, any three rooms and a hallway or two rooms and stairs, at a minimum.

Common sense: on a planet covered 70% in water, if runaway water vapor warming were likely or easy, wouldn’t we all be cooked medium rare by now?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/04/friday-...
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45457 Apr 4, 2014
But evil “deniers” are all paid oil company shills

While refreshing to hear the honest possibility that climate researchers and analysts (on both sides) just might be influenced by whom pays the piper, here’s a bit of irony:

“The Climate Research Unit (CRU) in the UK was set up in 1971 with funding from Shell and BP as is described in the book:“The history of the University of East Anglia, Norwich; Page 285)” By Michael Sanderson. The CRU was still being funded in 2008 by Shell, BP, the Nuclear Installations Inspectorate and UK Nirex LTD (the nuclear waste people in the UK)”

And do you remember “Kenny Boy” Lay, and the fraudulent corporate carbon monger Enron? Well, Enron was a major lobbyist for the original Kyoto climate treaty. Kenny Boy is likely salivating in his grave at realization of his dream of a carbon derivatives market.

The dirty secret is that carbon lobbyists help write environmental legislation and energy policy. If played their way, fossil companies stand to hold all of the chips in the carbon trading casino, squeeze out competition, maintain centralized near monopolies, perhaps even get paid not to drill at some point.

Common sense: With their mega $billions, wouldn’t fossil companies be able hire an army of pseudo-scientists to rival the current army of the imperial climate clothiers, to co-opt easily bought off politicians, universities, broadcast media and publications?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/04/friday-...
Los Angeles

Corona Del Mar, CA

#45458 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
As you would typify a typical bagger position, they find everything wrong but never a solution to anything. From the UN, Greenies, Illegal's, blacks, welfare, government, science, etc etc. In fact they don't identify with anything except for others who also think everything is wrong. It's not exactly problem solving at its highest level or at any level.
Big talk. Exactly how many foreign persons would you like to see enter the US (legal and illegal) per year.

What's your number? It's not a tough question.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45459 Apr 4, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" only has the middle of the down wrong gully.
rational and critical thinking people automatically question the wisdom of AGW just by reading idiotic childish posts you regularly provide.

keep up the good work!!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45460 Apr 4, 2014
GOOD POST MOTHRA!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45461 Apr 4, 2014
Los Angeles wrote:
<quoted text>
Big talk. Exactly how many foreign persons would you like to see enter the US (legal and illegal) per year.
What's your number? It's not a tough question.
The tougher question is when there are climate refugees which could add up into the millions where are they going to go ? And don't try and tell us that won't be the seeds sown for huge conflicts around the planet. But of course none of this will happen according to you deniers we just learn to adapt. Crops and food bowls will never be under threat.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45462 Apr 4, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>The solutions that your King and progressives are throwing out there are working?I'll laugh about that all weekend.Your master is destroying this once great nation but your to ignorant to see it.Especially when you put the UN in your statement.There's more corruption at the UN then there is in Chicago.Ridiculous,the fking UN needs to go away.
The UN is all we have, there is nothing else unless the US wants to rule the world. Where there is money and power there will be corruption its been right throughout human history. But it's no excuse to do NOTHING. Doing nothing in this case is a threat to every nation. Science keeps giving us the same answers but you just don't want to believe it. It can't be true, like science blowing apart the bible's concept of creationism. Middleman claims the threat during the cold war was real, so all the paranoia of commies under the bed, bomb shelters, bomb drills at schools was convincing because the government at the time said so! What has changed with conservatives of the 1950's to conservatives now ? Now they don't believe anything the government tells them or is it just the messenger!
You baggers need to be reminded everyday of the complete idiocy of how you reach conclusions not based on rational thinking but by sheer bigotry.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45463 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The tougher question is when there are climate refugees which could add up into the millions where are they going to go ?.
Actually, the tougher question is the one you keep avoiding.... given the latest, greatest end of the world "crisis" predictions, will warmists start acting like it is a crisis? and will they start holding their own accountable?
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45464 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Doing nothing in this case is a threat to every nation.
But that's what warmists do... NOTHING.

Well, they do bitch a lot about what other people should do.

So... by your reasoning, warmists are the threat!
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45465 Apr 4, 2014
Doom and Gloom

Perhaps the fact that global harvests of wheat, rice and corn have tripled or quintupled since 1960 in the face of all of this terrible warming teaches us a dire lesson. Or maybe the fact that the population has swelled to nearly 6 billion thriving humans, mostly in the warmer tropical latitudes, best expresses the current hopeless doom. Then again, according to the NCPA “tropical disease rates are decreasing on average globally, and at an even higher rate in developing countries,” clearly this is the calamity of which the wise speak. No, it is definitely, as CSIRO reports, that CO2 fertilization correlates with an 11 per cent increase in greening foliage across the world’s desserts that spells doom.

Whatever, doom is certainly upon us. The earth has a fever. The earth has a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell! And by cowbell, of course we mean $trillions in carbon derivatives going to Wall St., in taxes going to government, in gravy going to climate cronies.

Common sense: When science gets tainted with politics, follow the money and power.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/04/friday-...
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#45466 Apr 4, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The UN is all we have, there is nothing else unless the US wants to rule the world. Where there is money and power there will be corruption its been right throughout human history. But it's no excuse to do NOTHING. Doing nothing in this case is a threat to every nation. Science keeps giving us the same answers but you just don't want to believe it. It can't be true, like science blowing apart the bible's concept of creationism. Middleman claims the threat during the cold war was real, so all the paranoia of commies under the bed, bomb shelters, bomb drills at schools was convincing because the government at the time said so! What has changed with conservatives of the 1950's to conservatives now ? Now they don't believe anything the government tells them or is it just the messenger!
You baggers need to be reminded everyday of the complete idiocy of how you reach conclusions not based on rational thinking but by sheer bigotry.
Considering the UN is full of terrorist and now Iran has nominated a hostage taker as its ambassador fk that.Sure there's a place for the UN and it's not needed here in the US. The UN head quarters needs to be smack in the middle of the middle east where it's needed.Your giving up your freedom to an organization that wants just that,your freedom. I'll be damed if I give up mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min southerngirl 1,563,797
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min cpeter1313 315,189
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 19 hr Thomas 7233 20,965
News State child agency pulling wards from Durham sc... (May '07) Thu jjbowler300 54
News What is Being Done About the Fentanyl Crisis in CT Tue Gavone 11
DCF Protest in CT & We want your stories!!! (Jul '12) Jul 17 Standing up to DCF 86
Why are puerto ricans so lazy & don't work? (Nov '13) Jul 13 LaLa Land 9

Wethersfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages