Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64570 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#41138 Nov 5, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
... John Kelley, a professor emeritus at the same university, doesn't seem as certain that it will reach dangerous levels for humans....
Thousands died from the tsunami, not one died from radiation.
Bluebird

United States

#41139 Nov 5, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The loan guarantee program was created on Bush's watch by a law he signed and promoted. President Bush touted the program on his way out of office. There is evidence that the Bush Administration prioritized the Solyndra project.
And again recommendation was reviewed by representatives of the Bush Administration who reported it was a high risk venture and WAS NOT FUNDED. Obama Administration ignored the high risk assessment and the rest is history. The decision to proceed with a high risk venture was Obama's representatives and no one else.

History lesson on that subject over.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41140 Nov 5, 2013
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Thousands died from the tsunami, not one died from radiation.[/QUOTE]

Ah...... the data provided by people running the zoo don't tell much about people with radiation burns, problems & over their radiation limits. "lyin' brian" bends your ear that no one is dead.......yet...... as it also loved to play with radiation data about Chernobyl.
litesong

Cambridge, MA

#41141 Nov 5, 2013
why am I such an airhead?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41142 Nov 5, 2013
ccording to CNNMoney:

"It was started by Bush: The DOE loan program that funded Solyndra was actually started by President Bush in 2005. It was intended to provide government support for "innovative technologies."

But the Bush administration never approved Solyndra's loan, saying the application needed more work.

"the application needed more work."

Congress thought there would be more failures: Two companies have declared bankruptcy under the loan program so far, out of the 33 projects funded. Congress was expecting more. "

It's only money. Congress gives subsidies to everyone!
<><><>< ><><><> <><>

"...Mitt Romney said an inspector general "looked at this investment and concluded that the administration had steered money to friends and family."

That appears to be incorrect, as no evidence of undue influence peddling by the White House has been uncovered in an official, independent report. "

You can't even trust Mitt.

<><><>< ><>><>< ><><><> <>

"Solyndra did not make regular, flat solar panels.

It made a more advanced, cylinder-shaped device designed to capture the sun's rays on its entire surface -- hence the company's name.

It was the rapidly declining price of traditional, flat solar panels and silicon -- mostly from China -- that did the company in."

The rigors of capitalistic competition, the law of supply and demand and the dangers of innovating in a volatile market.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#41144 Nov 5, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
ccording to CNNMoney:
"It was started by Bush: The DOE loan program that funded Solyndra was actually started by President Bush in 2005. It was intended to provide government support for "innovative technologies."
But the Bush administration never approved Solyndra's loan, saying the application needed more work.
"the application needed more work."
Congress thought there would be more failures: Two companies have declared bankruptcy under the loan program so far, out of the 33 projects funded. Congress was expecting more. "
It's only money. Congress gives subsidies to everyone!
<><><>< ><><><> <><>
"...Mitt Romney said an inspector general "looked at this investment and concluded that the administration had steered money to friends and family."
That appears to be incorrect, as no evidence of undue influence peddling by the White House has been uncovered in an official, independent report. "
You can't even trust Mitt.
<><><>< ><>><>< ><><><> <>
"Solyndra did not make regular, flat solar panels.
It made a more advanced, cylinder-shaped device designed to capture the sun's rays on its entire surface -- hence the company's name.
It was the rapidly declining price of traditional, flat solar panels and silicon -- mostly from China -- that did the company in."
The rigors of capitalistic competition, the law of supply and demand and the dangers of innovating in a volatile market.
Agree, and even companies like Apple bring out lemons from time to time. They were on the brink of bankruptcy until Jobs came back. Their first toe in the water with PDA's was the Newton and that sold only in the handful which was a long time before the IPad.
Jobs also failed with Next computers & the Lisa, not bad products just too damn expensive. So high tech is a risky game but in deniers eyes if its tech & green well that's a double mark down on the road to failure.
big night in little river

Coos Bay, OR

#41145 Nov 5, 2013
CO2 is a-commin' ta eat us! EEEEEEEEE!

Where do I sign the "Obama as President for Life" petition? Let's give EVERYTHING to the government. No more free speech or freedom of the press. This is an EMERGENCY! Only the Democrats can save us!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEk!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41146 Nov 5, 2013
small life in little thrill wrote:
Let's give EVERYTHING to the government.
You've had lots of practice with all the other blind re-pubic-lick-uns, giving all your hard work's profit to upper floor, upper crust paper shufflers & people shovers. re-pubic-lick-uns, without any science & mathematics education, love giving their efforts' gain to people who tell them to hand over your wealth to people who have too much wealth, already.
litesong

San Jose, CA

#41147 Nov 5, 2013
I just wish I where I had not been such a sheep and given all my hard earned profits to demorats like al gore and other charlatans who bled me for more and lied to me. I rant about my education, of which I really have very little, that is why I brag about it, and I dream of a day when the government will tell me every move to make, every step to take, every breath to breath. I am so stupid I cannot function on my own. I have to admit it, I am a stupid liberal.
Retired Farmer

Madisonville, KY

#41148 Nov 6, 2013
More good news for the "warmer is better" crowd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#41149 Nov 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
...The rigors of capitalistic competition, the law of supply and demand and the dangers of innovating in a volatile market.
Failing to heed the lessons of the Solyndra debacle, Energy Department officials kept quiet about their knowledge that a government-backed electric car charger company was sliding toward bankruptcy and putting taxpayer money at risk, the agency’s chief watchdog has found.
Inspector General Greg Friedman admonished department officials for failing to disclose during an audit this summer what they knew about San Francisco-based Ecotality’s financial troubles and the possibility that the firm might not meet the terms of its taxpayer funding. The company received $100 million in aid from the 2009 stimulus.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#41150 Nov 6, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
Agree, and even companies like Apple bring out lemons from time to time. They were on the brink of bankruptcy until Jobs came back. Their first toe in the water with PDA's was the Newton and that sold only in the handful which was a long time before the IPad.
Jobs also failed with Next computers & the Lisa, not bad products just too damn expensive. So high tech is a risky game but in deniers eyes if its tech & green well that's a double mark down on the road to failure.
No, even low tech can be corrupt and deal with crony capitalists. Solyndra's bankruptcy isn't bad because just because of lost jobs, the taxpayer is on the hook for the bills and failed loan payments. It's wasteful government spending, intrusive regulations and green taxes that cause the problem, not technology.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41151 Nov 6, 2013
litesong wrote:
I just wish I where I had not been such a sheep and given all my hard earned profits to demorats like al gore and other charlatans who bled me for more and lied to me. I rant about my education, of which I really have very little, that is why I brag about it, and I dream of a day when the government will tell me every move to make, every step to take, every breath to breath. I am so stupid I cannot function on my own. I have to admit it, I am a stupid liberal.
That's a cheap trick and completely dishonest. But then, what could we expect from a denier?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#41152 Nov 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, even low tech can be corrupt and deal with crony capitalists. Solyndra's bankruptcy isn't bad because just because of lost jobs, the taxpayer is on the hook for the bills and failed loan payments. It's wasteful government spending, intrusive regulations and green taxes that cause the problem, not technology.
Some endeavors work some don't. That is how things work. A turtle never gets anywhere unless it sticks out its neck. The worst thing we can do is to do nothing because it might fail. Even though the investment went sour at Solyndra, something was learned. Deniers never learn because they are not open to new ideas......
litesong

Everett, WA

#41153 Nov 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
That's a cheap trick and completely dishonest. But then, what could we expect from a denier?
Copying my name & putting it on uneducated political blundering, isn't even original. toxic topix AGW deniers even plagiarize their own.

But, toxic topix AGW deniers have to plagiarize educated people now. With the election showing tea partiers fading into political history, toxic topix tots have no one to copy on their own side of issues.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41154 Nov 6, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Some endeavors work some don't. That is how things work. A turtle never gets anywhere unless it sticks out its neck. The worst thing we can do is to do nothing because it might fail. Even though the investment went sour at Solyndra, something was learned. Deniers never learn because they are not open to new ideas......
here is a new idea 'bozo', three perhaps four melt downs, since one of the fuel pools is missing, of mox fuel in japan. and you are still ranting about the made up fairytale of man made global warming? the comet ison is gassing off mainly co2 and methane, and you are still ranting about man made global warming? the orbit of comet ison is still unknown, the whereabouts of the mox fuel is still unknown. and you are still ranting about the made up fairytale of global warming caused by man? you must be litesong's half brother or something. no one alive could be that stupid,or is it genetic? we will soon be in the debris trail of comet ison, the debris from japan will be on our shores, will your fairytale matter anymore?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41155 Nov 6, 2013
For the past six years since publication of the AR4, the UN global climate negotiations were conducted on the basis that even without serious mitigation policies global sea-level would rise only between 18 and 59 cm, with perhaps 10 or 20 cm more due to ice dynamics. Now they are being told that the best estimate for unmitigated emissions is 74 cm, and even with the most stringent mitigation efforts, sea level rise could exceed 60 cm by the end of century. It is basically too late to implement measures that would very likely prevent half a meter rise in sea level. Early mitigation is the key to avoiding higher sea level rise, given the slow response time of sea level (Schaeffer et al. 2012). This is where the “conservative” estimates of IPCC, seen by some as a virtue, have lulled policy makers into a false sense of security, with the price having to be paid later by those living in vulnerable coastal areas.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#41156 Nov 6, 2013
What the world would look like if all ice melted

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/what-the...
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#41157 Nov 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
What the world would look like if all ice melted
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/what-the...
I think that this is just a rough cut. A lot of the North of Canada would be under water since hundreds of meters of permafrost would melt and that would lower the land levels from what they are today quite a bit, putting them under water or at least salt water swamp.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#41158 Nov 6, 2013
National Journal:

A myriad of factors combined to doom Ken Cuccinelli’s gubernatorial bid, but environmental groups certainly played a role, reports The Hill. And Team Green has a warning for the other politicians who are unwilling to address climate change: You’re next.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Julia 1,745,573
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min Prune 336,812
News Stoshball Out On Assignment 1 hr Gavone 1
News FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) 18 hr Fefa 30
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Sat Anonymous 72,073
Do pretty Girls Fart??? Fri Jon Neno 4
News House leadership favors statewide gaming strate... Apr 19 Radio Flyer 3016 4

Wethersfield Jobs

Personal Finance

Wethersfield Mortgages