Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 53472 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“I Feel”

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#40371 Oct 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LIAR, who's the IPCC?
You are too dense to sort out: the IPCC and Michael Mann.
The IPCC is an organization, not a person, DUH.
An organization like the IPCC can only win a prize via the work of people like Professor Michael Mann. Al Gore is singled out because he did not do the IPCC work. That's why the IPCC and Al Gore for the prize.
P.S. The tiny denier is never correct!
yeah, ya little lying humper!!!!!!

LOL.

The EU is a group of nations!!!

I guess.....according to your fuqued up logic....every citizen in Europe can put 'NOBEL WINNER' on their resumes, huh??????

You're too stupid for words, mutt!!

bwaaaaahahahahahhaaaaa

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#40372 Oct 6, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw an interesting analogy by a expert Business commenter on tv. He said this reminded him of the Disney animated film fantasia where Mickey (the Republican party) conjures up a spell that inadvertently brings on the demon broomsticks (The Tea party) and they can't be stopped. Only the sorcery can stop them and the Republicans have run out of sorcerers , McCain tried, even Bonehead has tried & they need someone like Reagan but there is no-one.
obviously, you have your political allegiances.

but....back to my thought.....could a shutdown help slow down climate change?? if so, who are the good guys?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40373 Oct 6, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, ya little lying humper!!!!!!
LOL.
The EU is a group of nations!!!
I guess.....according to your fuqued up logic....every citizen in Europe can put 'NOBEL WINNER' on their resumes, huh??????
You're too stupid for words, mutt!!
bwaaaaahahahahahhaaaaa
LOL.

You enjoy malice, not peace. Sort it out on your own, NOT!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40374 Oct 6, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>obviously, you have your political allegiances.
but....back to my thought.....could a shutdown help slow down climate change?? if so, who are the good guys?
NOT.. when the EPA is not catching the polluters...
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40375 Oct 6, 2013
James Inhofe received $260,350 from oil interests for his climate campaign.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40376 Oct 6, 2013
Yes, a slowdown can cut emissions and slow climate change. So the Republicans are the good guys.

Thanks, Republicunts.

Maybe they are realizing that slowing down now will be a lot cheaper than slowing down in the future. Even if the present is painful....

Thanks again, guys, for this wonderful recession!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40377 Oct 6, 2013
However, we are so far behind on ALL our infrastructure that we could spend years just repairing what's already in place.

We need high speed rail in several major corridors.

And...
That's not including the benefits we could derive from funding wind and solar at near the fossil fuel energy subsidies.

There is plenty of work here, but it needs funding. If private companies can't step forward and invest, then government has to do it. Where's that trickle down?

There are so many solutions. We just need people to be brave and implement them.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40378 Oct 6, 2013
Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists say that there is a ninety-five percent chance that ninety-nine percent of us are contributing one-hundred percent of the extra GHG emissions on this planet.

I'll take that for a dollar!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40379 Oct 6, 2013
I'll take "greenhouse gases" for 10,000, Alex!

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#40380 Oct 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>NOT.. when the EPA is not catching the polluters...
if the EPA was actually busting anyone.....you'd be first, wasteful big mouth mutt!!

LOL

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#40381 Oct 6, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.
You enjoy malice, not peace. Sort it out on your own, NOT!
why is it my responsibility to sort out your incoherence, son? or the other poster? thanks for chiming into the conversation, though. just shows.....you don't care about man made co2 emissions. you willingly waste them every chance you get!!

what a hypocrite.....and a liar.

do your part for climate change, son!!!! don't make any posts until you put your hands on Mann's Nobel, deal??

bwwwaaahahahahahaa

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#40382 Oct 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
I'll take "greenhouse gases" for 10,000, Alex!
LOL.....you mean to say, "I'll take any green thing for a subsidy check"!!!

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#40383 Oct 6, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists say that there is a ninety-five percent chance that ninety-nine percent of us are contributing one-hundred percent of the extra GHG emissions on this planet.
I'll take that for a dollar!
no, they don't!! make that bet, though......you'll be out one less buck, son!!

LOL

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40384 Oct 6, 2013
The species at the centre of the Antarctic food web - krill - is under stress from the acidification detailed in the latest International Program on the State of the Ocean report, Fairfax Media reports.

The creatures are showing some signs of acidification damage, Fairfax reports, with
Acidification - which is blamed for depressing metabolic rates in jumbo squid, depressing the immune responses of blue mussels, and coral bleaching - is 50 per cent faster in the higher polar regions, and IPSO scientists say if emissions were to continue to rise the krill elggs would be unable to hatch in vast areas of the Southern Ocean by 2030, with devastating flow-on effects. "The Southern Ocean is particularly vulnerable to increased acidity because of the cold water and the type of marine life," he said.

"If there are changes in these environments, then there is a flow-on impact across the entire marine system."

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#40385 Oct 6, 2013
krusty wrote:
<quoted text>
Observations tell me that the AGW hypothesis does not live up to observations. Skyrocketing CO2, no warming in 15 years, Antarctic sea ice extent keeps growing, sea level rise not happening at alarming rates, no increase in "extreme" weather, climate sensitivity lower than thought, the uncertainties of how clouds, sun, PDO effect the temperatures, polar bear population increasing. So my rationalization stems from looking at the hypothesis versus the observations.
Unfortunately you are too partisan to actually look at the evidence, so your rationalization is in the psychological form.
Rationalization (making excuses)

is a defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are logically justified and explained in a rational or logical manner in order to avoid any true explanation, and are made consciously tolerable or even admirable and superior by plausible means.[2] Rationalization encourages irrational or unacceptable behavior, motives, or feelings and often involves ad hoc hypothesizing. This process ranges from fully conscious (e.g. to present an external defense against ridicule from others) to mostly subconscious (e.g. to create a block against internal feelings of guilt).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_...

"the green troll"

#40386 Oct 6, 2013
Krusty's excuses No 1.
krusty wrote:
Skyrocketing CO2, no warming in 15 years.
Focus on short term trends.
The final paper shows that the recent pause in global surface temperature rise does not materially alter the risks of substantial warming of the Earth by the end of this century. Nor does it invalidate the fundamental physics of global warming, the scientific basis of climate models and their estimates of climate sensitivity.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/news/rec...

"the green troll"

#40388 Oct 7, 2013
Krusty's excuses No. 3:
krusty wrote:
sea level rise not happening at alarming rates
Misrepresent the science. The science is reporting warning signs of future sea level rise, not claiming that we should be seeing "alarming" sea level rise right now.

Estimates of future sea level rise have gone up. That is quite alarming. If you are concerned about the world your grandchildren will have to live in.

http://www.livescience.com/40060-ipcc-report-...

Brainless frogs however happily sit in the pan of water till it boils.

"the green troll"

#40389 Oct 7, 2013
Krusty's excuses no. 4:
krusty wrote:
no increase in "extreme" weather,
Keep eyes covered and ears closed.
In the US, the Global Changes Research Program published a report in 2009 entitled Global Climate Change Impacts in the US. The National Climate Change chapter reports the following findings for recent decades:

Heavy rainfall events have increased both in frequency and in intensity by 20%, and are the main cause behind the increase in overall precipitation in the US. The Northeast and Midwest have seen the greatest increase in such events.

The frequency of drought has increased in areas such as the Southeast and the West, and decreased in other areas. Rising temperatures make droughts more severe and/or widespread, and also lead to the earlier melting of snowpacks, which can exacerbate problems in vulnerable areas.

Atlantic hurricanes have increased both in power and frequency, coinciding with warming oceans that provide energy to these storms. In the Eastern Pacific, there have been fewer but stronger hurricanes recently. More research is needed to better understand the extent to which other factors, such as atmospheric stability and circulation, affect hurricane development.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/extreme-weath...

"the green troll"

#40390 Oct 7, 2013
Krusty's excuses No. 5:
kristy wrote:
climate sensitivity lower than thought,
Look for "good news" from science and exaggerate it's importance.
A leaked draft copy of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's fifth assessment report (AR5) surfaced earlier this summer and triggered a small tempest among climate bloggers, scientists and skeptics over revelations that a key metric, called the "Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity" (ECS), had been revised downward. The ECS's lower threshold had been extended by half a degree -- from 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) to 1.5 C (2.7 F)-- indicating that a lower range of warming now fell within the IPCC's range of "likely" possibilities.

Climate skeptics pounced on this change as proof that earlier estimates had been overblown, while some climate bloggers questioned whether the IPCC had lowballed its estimates to avoid confrontation with skeptics. According to a sample of scientists contacted by ClimateWire, however, the revised ETS does not much alter the picture of overall planetary warming or how humanity needs to respond to it.

"That change is pretty minor when you work through its implications for policy," said Gavin Schmidt, a climate modeler at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

"the green troll"

#40391 Oct 7, 2013
Krusty's excuses No. 6:
krusty wrote:
the uncertainties of how clouds, sun, PDO effect [sic] the temperatures
Always focus on the doubt and stress uncertainty, even when, especially when the scientific assessment is that the evidence of serious risk far outweighs the uncertainties and doubts remaining.

The evidence that the sun or the PDO is responsible for global warming, or that clouds are going to be a negative feed back is just not there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wethersfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,232,284
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr The Rev 19,921
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Junket 309,857
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 13 hr TRD 70,014
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Fri usherhollens 17
News Strangers Come To Hartford Student's Aid (Mar '09) May 21 didusayhome 120
News Conn. Gay Couple Accused of Molesting Adopted Sons (Dec '11) May 21 Smg 591
More from around the web

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]