Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,796)

Showing posts 35,901 - 35,920 of43,049
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
True. All the talk of natural variations causing the slow down or pause in temperature increases is interesting. When temps were going up, no one talked about natural variations causing it to go up. Now that temps are not going up natural variations are being considered.
Excellent observation, "fun facts"!!
Another point of interest is that all severe weather events seem to be the result of "man made dirty weather" when those events are near populated areas that receive a lot of media coverage.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
No Warming said you have studied solar impacts. There is so much information out there and it gets crazy trying to sift through it. Some scientists have said that the increase in sun spots over the last 100 years has made the Earth warmer, but then alarmists say in the last 35 years of global warming, sun and climate have been going in opposite directions. They say the sun has been going in a cooling trend, but global temperatures are going up.

What is your take on this?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
Cycle 24 as compared to the last three cycles. Cycle 21 began in 1976.
http://www.solen.info/solar/images/comparison...
Looking at the chart, it seems that cycle 23 starting in 1996 and ending in 2008 does fit into the standstill we are seeing in temperatures. Do you have a prediction of where you think temperatures will go during this solar cycle?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
True. All the talk of natural variations causing the slow down or pause in temperature increases is interesting. When temps were going up, no one talked about natural variations causing it to go up. Now that temps are not going up natural variations are being considered.
Temperatures in my area are lower than in the last 25 years. We had a 73*F high one day in July, and hit a record low of 60*F. Didn't get our first 100*F day until June. Our spring was cool as compared to the last 25 years.
Another thing they tell us is that the Earth is warming faster in the last 35 years than it has in 11,000 years, so it has to be because of CO2. They really want us to defy logic on this one. We have 4 temperature datasets. None of them agree on the exact temperatures. These datasets are constantly updated and revised. Yet they want us to believe that by looking at few proxies, they know exactly how fast temperatures went up 11,000 years ago.
heavy tune

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
oh but 'facts', we have been told time and time again, over and over, by the alarmist global warming caused by man religious fanatics that it is not the sun, it is all caused by man. the only explaination for any slowdown in the warming caused by man is becaused of the carbon tax imposed on the people of austraila. because of them being forced into paying carbon taxes we are already seeing cooling on a world wide scale. don't you see 'facts', it is not the sun or it's cycles causing global warming, it is people not paying carbon taxes.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>still waiting on your response about rfs2!!!!!
i can't believe you don't know what that is....and champion yourself on this thread in being "in the know"!
LOL!!!!!
I know about the renewable fuels standards. I hadn't heard it referred to as "rfs2".

I have absolutely no interest in it. I doubt I can do a thing about it. I favor more efficient vehicles. That's my response.

My area of expertise is construction; residential, commercial, and industrial. I work for more efficient buildings, which now use ~40% of energy in this country. I promote wind and solar, which are more compatible with and adaptable to buildings than they are to transportation.

Again, I have no interest in your subject.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know about the renewable fuels standards. I hadn't heard it referred to as "rfs2".
I have absolutely no interest in it. I doubt I can do a thing about it. I favor more efficient vehicles. That's my response.
My area of expertise is construction; residential, commercial, and industrial. I work for more efficient buildings, which now use ~40% of energy in this country. I promote wind and solar, which are more compatible with and adaptable to buildings than they are to transportation.
Again, I have no interest in your subject.
thanks for your honesty!!!! I wish more people here would admit that their promoting climate change alarmism is self serving, too.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent observation, "fun facts"!!
Another point of interest is that all severe weather events seem to be the result of "man made dirty weather" when those events are near populated areas that receive a lot of media coverage.
Nonsense.

Noone? You deniers are liars.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
So waht!

You flash it to convince your denier buddies of your solar knowledge which is nil. LOL.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
World will warm faster than predicted in next five years, study warns. New estimate based on the forthcoming upturn in solar activity and El Niño southern oscillation cycles is expected to silence global warming sceptics.
Since it is AIR temperature and subject to a lot of influence from ENSO and other climate oscillations, the 'standstill' is meaningless, which has been pointed out by those who UNDERSTAND the climate.

And now they point out that the noise peak will be the other way (and still not significant) while the climate warming continues at a steady pace (the signal, not the noise).
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how it’s the alarmists that keep trying to explain the standstill.
Anyone with a decent education and knowledge of the problems inherent in using air temperature at 2 meters (meteorology data) as a proxy for the other 98% thermal mass (ocean and land) will be trying to educate you. Far from being 'alarmist' they will educate you in the fact that it would take only a small hit on the GDP with eventual benefits in terms of higher GDP in the future to solve the problem. The 'alarmists' here are the denialists that are trying to hide from the issue and hope it goes away.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>thanks for your honesty!!!! I wish more people here would admit that their promoting climate change alarmism is self serving, too.
Hardly. Far from being self-serving, it's known to those of us with larger vocabularies than yours as "specialization".

Were I a chef, I might favor solar ovens and methane biofuel or waste-heat recovery. But I have no interest in abandoning something I have been learning and practicing for 40 years just to start cooking.

Maybe you're a mechanic. If so, good for you. You like machines? Then masturbate while fantasizing about real gas as opposed to pseudo-gas and write angry letters to the editor about RFS2. Service yourself!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text>oh but 'facts', we have been told time and time again, over and over,
Proving only that you are hard of learning..
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text> by the alarmist .. religious fanatics
The alarmism seems to be more centered on those who deny the science in order to keep the 'status quo'. They are totally panicked by the idea that they must act responsibly and you can tell it by denalist posts like yours.
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text>global warming caused by man that it is not the sun, it is all caused by man.
WHAT here is AGW, the warming of the global average surface temperature. Certainly the energy comes from the sun, but the CAUSE of the surface suddenly warming (while the sun changes very little in relative terms) is the increase in the 'insulating' greenhouse effect. The change is to the temperature (or stored thermal energy) not the INFLUX of energy which is fairly stable.

And yes, the increase in the Greenhouse effect is clearly a response to man made increases in greenhouse gases.
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text> is becaused of the carbon tax imposed on the people of austraila.
A global carbon SURCHARGE (not tax) may be the best way to adjust the economy to a lower fossil fuel role using the market systems. A surcharge means a price added at the point of origin that is then REBATED to the consumer to prevent any economic hardship as long as they are using no more or less fossil fuels than previously. The surcharge rate can be set by international agreement as the response shows improvements.
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text> because of them being forced into paying carbon taxes we are already seeing cooling on a world wide scale. don't you see 'facts', it is not the sun or it's cycles causing global warming, it is people not paying carbon taxes.
You really need to go back to school and get an education. I cannot see any way that you can correct your many confusions without a sound basis for reasoning first.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Just curious, what was the Anarctic sea extent like during this time period?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

* sea ICE extent?
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant! And I highly suspect that you know it is. There's never been a period where ten million years worth of carbon sequestration is undone on 10 years, either.
<quoted text>
I saw absolutely nothing on the page that supports your claim. I also know that the consensus warming level for dangerous tipping points has been 2degC (rumored to be reduced to 1.5degC in the next IPCC report) which we'll hit rather quickly at a small fraction of your insane 6000 ppm.
I'm calling you out on a BIG LIE.
Kyle: "Irrelevant! "
Too funny. Interesting style of 'debate' you have there.

Ok. With such a smartly constructed response to my point, what can I say?
How about:
Oh Ya.... WelI, It So Relevant, Kyle!!!:0P

Ad you say "never been a period... ". So there is no precedence to base a scientific opinion. Just speculation.
Ok I can debate in that style as well.

This extra CO2 will lead to Prettier, Healthier and Happier life on Earth... Just like the days when ave. atmospheric CO2 was >1000ppm.

Oh wait there is a precedence for MY statement... Oh Well, I guess I was wrong hen I thought I could construct an argument as silly as yours.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Yes I know... Proof read, proof read, proof read.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Since it is AIR temperature and subject to a lot of influence from ENSO and other climate oscillations, the 'standstill' is meaningless, which has been pointed out by those who UNDERSTAND the climate.
And now they point out that the noise peak will be the other way (and still not significant) while the climate warming continues at a steady pace (the signal, not the noise).
<quoted text>
Anyone with a decent education and knowledge of the problems inherent in using air temperature at 2 meters (meteorology data) as a proxy for the other 98% thermal mass (ocean and land) will be trying to educate you. Far from being 'alarmist' they will educate you in the fact that it would take only a small hit on the GDP with eventual benefits in terms of higher GDP in the future to solve the problem. The 'alarmists' here are the denialists that are trying to hide from the issue and hope it goes away.
You are missing the point. These are the people who are supposed to understand the climate. They said this:

World will warm faster than predicted in next five years, study warns. New estimate based on the forthcoming upturn in solar activity and El Niño southern oscillation cycles is expected to silence global warming sceptics.

And in the article, they stated that warming would occur 150% faster than predicted.

It didn't seem meaningless to the scientists 5 years ago. They specifically stated it would warm 150% faster and the skeptics would pretty much have to shut up. But now that the temperatures didn't rise, it is meaningless. So my point is, the alarmists that are making excuses.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. Far from being self-serving, it's known to those of us with larger vocabularies than yours as "specialization".
Were I a chef, I might favor solar ovens and methane biofuel or waste-heat recovery. But I have no interest in abandoning something I have been learning and practicing for 40 years just to start cooking.
Maybe you're a mechanic. If so, good for you. You like machines? Then masturbate while fantasizing about real gas as opposed to pseudo-gas and write angry letters to the editor about RFS2. Service yourself!
LOL....why would I do that, son? My "specialization" is "greener" than yours. I'm just honest about it. You people always jump to the silliest conclusions. It's like you're intentional knee jerk reactionaries !!!
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Nonsense.
Noone? You deniers are liars.
Dear SpaceBlues, you consistently have some of the strongest arguments supporting GW!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 35,901 - 35,920 of43,049
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Hartford County was issued at April 21 at 7:30AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Wethersfield Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Wethersfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE