Economy grounds Sikorsky for 3 days

Economy grounds Sikorsky for 3 days

There are 47 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Apr 23, 2009, titled Economy grounds Sikorsky for 3 days. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Despite a 41 percent jump in first quarter profits, Sikorsky Aircraft is not immune to the difficult economy and its more than 9,000 workers in the state will be placed on furlough for three days this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe

Milford, CT

#1 Apr 23, 2009
The fact that Sikorsky is feeling the pinch is a real eye opener. This is a rock solid company that makes a terrific product. Lets hope this new administration understands that company's like this are what separate America from the rest of the world. This should alert the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard to use American copters.
CT democrat

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2009
beginning of the end...wait till the president starts chopping the defence budget...sikorsky will be forced to move to alabama...connecticut taxes are way too high...thanks to the democrats ...sorry to say
Opinionated

United States

#3 Apr 23, 2009
Why don't they just cut the CEO's pay and bonus?

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 23, 2009
Â…more than 9,000 workers in the state will be placed on furlough for three days this yearÂ…
Both white-collar and blue-collar?
An Idle Observer

Rutland, VT

#5 Apr 24, 2009
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone, unless union contract or military contract terms state otherwise. Hamilton Sundstrand and Pratt & Whitney have five furlough days, Pratt Canada has 10. BTW, no unemployment compensation is available, nor can you use vacation days, sick time or personal time to cover the loss. It's still better than a pink slip, no job and nobama hope.
copter

United States

#6 Apr 24, 2009
Does anybody work there at all or just a bunch of time stealers!
IKNOW

United States

#7 Apr 24, 2009
I hear about employees doing nothing all the time there, from the employees themselves, even for overtime pay. Its a game to see who can do the least, who can wander the buildings the most to look busy, or who can find the best place to sleep. Maybe its time for the government to do a little research on the amount of people they have working there, and what they actually do. If employees actually worked, you could probably cut labor force in half for efficiency.
harvey

AOL

#8 Apr 24, 2009
i have friends there whose job it is sweep,that's it just sweep and clean the bathrooms cafe area,they make $24.00 an hour..only a matter of time before layoffs
Tom

Shelton, CT

#9 Apr 24, 2009
Ditto
IKNOW wrote:
I hear about employees doing nothing all the time there, from the employees themselves, even for overtime pay. Its a game to see who can do the least, who can wander the buildings the most to look busy, or who can find the best place to sleep. Maybe its time for the government to do a little research on the amount of people they have working there, and what they actually do. If employees actually worked, you could probably cut labor force in half for efficiency.
Bill Phoenix

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Apr 24, 2009
IKNOW wrote:
Remember AVCO same attitudes, UNION protected them from any punishment. I was UNION and non UNION for five years. LOOK BUSY WAS THE NORM, very exasperrating.LOOK WHAT THAT PRODUCED.
Whats right is right

Piscataway, NJ

#11 Apr 24, 2009
I would be happy to take 3 days off without pay if it would sav my job, atleast for a little while ...I didn't have that because my job was eliminated..
Lets be real

United States

#12 Apr 24, 2009
Not a good sign when the largest employer in the area that was the only UTC division to show profit, furloughs workers to protect itself. Read between the lines: UTC and Sikorsky see even more bad times in the future and they are making a rainy day fund. Here is a company with thousands of government contracts from the U.S. and other foreign countries. Here is a company that not only manufactures, but also repairs and services each item they make.

When a company like Sikorsky has to take drastic steps to protect itself and it's employees for the future, its not a good sign that they have faith in the promised recovery, but instead see a bigger crash in the market.

As I have said in the past, and I will continue to say it, the market is a false market value boosted by number crunchers who are only interested in pocketing a profit. These number crunchers are paid by the members of the market to make it look better than it really is.

Proof: A massive number of lay-offs, furlough days, plant "idling", pay cuts of up to 30% in the private industry, wage freezes and give backs by both minicipal and private unions and lets not forget the huge number of foreclosures. Need more, the list goes on?

While all this goes on, prices continue to rise on everyday items like gas, milk, food etc.

Heed the warning, stop spending, stop market investments and put your money (cash is king) under your mattress where it is accessible.
Jim B

Newington, CT

#13 Apr 24, 2009
Bill Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text> Remember AVCO same attitudes, UNION protected them from any punishment. I was UNION and non UNION for five years. LOOK BUSY WAS THE NORM, very exasperrating.LOOK WHAT THAT PRODUCED.
You need to be reminded that greed on the behalf of the corporation did in Avco. You also need to remember that the elected officials in this state gave us up to save a sub base. Try reading a newspaper instead once in a while. Remember the Brac commission that closed army bases such as Avco while Rosa Delauro`s husband sat as a presidential advisor?
Tax and Spend

Shelton, CT

#14 Apr 24, 2009
HOPE ?
JustMe

Elmhurst, IL

#16 Apr 24, 2009
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>
Would have to be blue-collar...white-collar are paid salaries, makes no difference if they work 40 hours or 60 hours a week, same pay.
bill phoenix

Scottsdale, AZ

#17 Apr 24, 2009
Jim B wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to be reminded that greed on the behalf of the corporation did in Avco. You also need to remember that the elected officials in this state gave us up to save a sub base. Try reading a newspaper instead once in a while. Remember the Brac commission that closed army bases such as Avco while Rosa Delauro`s husband sat as a presidential advisor?
What you pointed out has a lot of truth to it , but i was there saw the shoddy workmanship the i don't give a damn attitudes.I did read the newspapers,i worked in union and non union, were you there? The engines never could make the hrs. and service times (and very few the h.p.)Try not getting to testy if you wern't there and didn't see it first hand. Thats why they went to the GE T-58, AVCOS(53S, 55S) JUST DIDT WARRANT THE COST(CHECK SERVICE @ OVERHAUL COSTS). BOTH SIDES SCREWED THAT POOCH.
An Idle Observer

Rutland, VT

#18 Apr 24, 2009
JustMe wrote:
<quoted text>Would have to be blue-collar...white-collar are paid salaries, makes no difference if they work 40 hours or 60 hours a week, same pay.
Guess again. Salary gets docked a day's pay.
WooHoo

Long Beach, NY

#19 Apr 24, 2009
Corporate has to get that $5000 union contract signing bonus back some how
bob

Lakeland, FL

#20 Apr 24, 2009
Who cares Sikorsky thrives on war.Now that the economy is in a decline and Bushy boy and Dicky boy is gone.Sikorsky's government contracts will be cut.More layoffs for lazy overpaid workers and union crooks.
Reality check

Ansonia, CT

#21 Apr 25, 2009
Do you all remember the strike of 2006? It had a temporary negative impact on the local economy.
If Sikorsky should close, the economic effect would be felt all over CT.
Look at what's happened in Detroit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Norwalk Man Arrested For Allegedly Bilking Aili... (Sep '10) 9 hr Frank 4
Mitt Romney Purchases Kneepads & Meets With Pre... 17 hr Libhater 30
News Cat stuck atop power pole for 9 days gets rescued Fri Felix the cat 13
News Wanted Bridgeport house-keeper nabbed in car ac... Thu BPT 2
church of satan Thu BPT 6
News Connecticut home to fewer homeless Dec 1 America Gentleman... 3
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Nov 30 Robby Rob 2,650

Westport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westport Mortgages