Marin rentals down in rates, up in availability

There are 20 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Apr 23, 2009, titled Marin rentals down in rates, up in availability. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

It's becoming cheaper and easier to rent an apartment in Marin, thanks to the economic doldrums.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

San Rafael, CA

#1 Apr 23, 2009
I hope it will drop even more,many good people could not afford it, now they will...
Clancy

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2009
It is still not affordable or reasonable compared to other places or states. The fact Marin County is full of illegal second units with major problems like health problems mold and leaky pipes and rodents and nothing is really being done about it it is down right criminal.

The health department in this county is far to lax and so are the building and environmental inspectors. Marin landlords are greedy yet don't want to make necessary repairs to make their bread boxes healthy and livable for their tenants that are paying through the nose to leave here.

A little birdie who worked at Realfacts said they not always have the real facts either. I heard they do not always do their calculations right nor do they fix their mistake after they make them knowing full well they made them. I wonder if the took a poll of all the crummy little second units in Marin to come up with this article - obviously not. We need real stories and real facts not hot air.
The Hype

San Rafael, CA

#5 Apr 24, 2009
Rental rates, for the quality being offered, are still out of line. 50% of ridiculous is still ridiculous. I don't mind paying a fair rent for a quality unit, but when some crack-smoking landlord wants to try to charge me two grand to rent some dank, teeny unit with no laundry, no garden, no nothing, he or she will find themselves sitting on that property. Worst of all is the failure to provide truth in advertising -'heated pool' when it's padlocked and cold,'huge rooms' that turn out to be dollhouse sized, etc.

It's not reasonable to say 'if you don't like it, don't rent here.' What kind of crock is that? If you are a landlord, first of all, you *should* be licensed and taxed like every other business owner, but failing that, you should provide a fair product for a fair price - like every other business owner. It's the only business (aside from banking/insurance) where avarice and duplicity seem to be happily tolerated.
K2inSR

Watsonville, CA

#6 Apr 24, 2009
When left rent controlled San Francisco and moved to Marin in 2006, I was assured that my rent would only go up 3-5% per year. Surprise, surprise, when after one year, my rent went up 17% and the water and garbage fees ($45 per unit, not per person!) previously paid by the landlord were suddenly dumped on me to pay. In 2008, my rent went up another $100 per month. If rents are going down or stabilizing, I figure it's what goes around comes around.
Jasmine

Milpitas, CA

#7 Apr 24, 2009
The rents in Marin are still too high, just like the cost of housing is too high.
Prices still need to come down so people aren't struggling. The jobs in Marin do not pay much and should reflect the overall cost of living here especially if you work in Marin. It's about time, but still too expensive.
Well

Los Gatos, CA

#8 Apr 24, 2009
Being a landlord, I can tell you this. When Obama raised my taxes (yes, I make over $250k), the first thing I did was raise my rent to offset it. Also, every liberal initiative that is approved, I raise my rents. That's always been a given.

Also, when Obama taxes my company more, I will lay off one to two people or more, and I will transfer those salaries to my salary. Obama said, lets transfer the wealth so I am doing exactly what he said. Additionally, I will increase my prices on the products I sell. In fact, I have already started that. I've already gone through it all with my tax accountant and all he said was you and everyone else being hit by Obama are doing the same. Tax accountants are doing really well these days. I asked him too if any of his liberal clients are doing the same, he said, "they were the first ones calling me".

At the end of the day it seems clear to me Obama is hurting people by putting them deeper in the hole whereas before they had a chance of getting out of the hole. Nothing has changed for me. In fact, I am on track to make more money this year than any year in the past 10. My employees and my tenants though are hurting but many of those same people voted for Obama so they can't complain in the slightest.
The Hype

San Rafael, CA

#9 Apr 24, 2009
So, you're telling us that Obama is the reason rents in Marin are too high? Because they were SO LOW during the Republican era. Right?

It's terribly amusing how some people find a way to blame anything - anything (including the price of tea in China)- on their political targets. But it does supply a steady source of comedy!
James

San Leandro, CA

#10 Apr 24, 2009
I especially like the comments from the renters. None of them understand supply and demand. If the prices are "too high" then people will not pay them...and move out. If they are too low, there will be no availability for people who want to move here for a job.
If you aren't successful enough to afford to purchase OR if you choose to rent then you will be subject to market forces as well as those State and Local initiatives that raise prices.
You didn't really think that those initiatives were just for homeowners to pay, did you??
Next time, vote NO!
BigEasy

Santa Rosa, CA

#11 Apr 24, 2009
Well, you are terrified of being broke and will do anything to anyone for money. And, you will go broke my friend. And many will say, so what? Allow me to be the first.
Well wrote:
Being a landlord, I can tell you this. When Obama raised my taxes (yes, I make over $250k), the first thing I did was raise my rent to offset it. Also, every liberal initiative that is approved, I raise my rents. That's always been a given.
Also, when Obama taxes my company more, I will lay off one to two people or more, and I will transfer those salaries to my salary. Obama said, lets transfer the wealth so I am doing exactly what he said. Additionally, I will increase my prices on the products I sell. In fact, I have already started that. I've already gone through it all with my tax accountant and all he said was you and everyone else being hit by Obama are doing the same. Tax accountants are doing really well these days. I asked him too if any of his liberal clients are doing the same, he said, "they were the first ones calling me".
At the end of the day it seems clear to me Obama is hurting people by putting them deeper in the hole whereas before they had a chance of getting out of the hole. Nothing has changed for me. In fact, I am on track to make more money this year than any year in the past 10. My employees and my tenants though are hurting but many of those same people voted for Obama so they can't complain in the slightest.
Neighbor

Santa Clara, CA

#12 Apr 24, 2009
The Hype wrote:
Rental rates, for the quality being offered, are still out of line. 50% of ridiculous is still ridiculous. I don't mind paying a fair rent for a quality unit, but when some crack-smoking landlord wants to try to charge me two grand to rent some dank, teeny unit with no laundry, no garden, no nothing, he or she will find themselves sitting on that property. Worst of all is the failure to provide truth in advertising -'heated pool' when it's padlocked and cold,'huge rooms' that turn out to be dollhouse sized, etc.
It's not reasonable to say 'if you don't like it, don't rent here.' What kind of crock is that? If you are a landlord, first of all, you *should* be licensed and taxed like every other business owner, but failing that, you should provide a fair product for a fair price - like every other business owner. It's the only business (aside from banking/insurance) where avarice and duplicity seem to be happily tolerated.
To the contrary, it is totally reasonable to say if you don't like it then don't rent there. They have the choice to provide whatever quality they want at any price they want, and you have the choice to take their offer or not. If enough people don't take them up on it then they will have to increase the quality and/or reduce the price.

When you say fair product at fair price I suppose that means by your definition. I suspect they are already doing that by their definition. Don't forget that your risk to rent is only your security deposit, which is regulated by law, while their risk to own property includes a huge down payment, monthly operating expenses, changes in real estate law, destructive tenants, tenants that stop paying rent, mortgage payments, and changes in the economy.

Also, real estate is taxed and rental units need to have a business license. And landlord-tenant law in California is extensive and favors tenants.

So exercise you right to choose... pay the price, find another building, buy a house or move to somewhere cheaper.
Renter in Mill Valley

Corte Madera, CA

#13 Apr 24, 2009
I am talking about 3/4 bed homes.....Reasonable landlords in Mill Valley who recognise they have made a killing these last few years and realise the need to be reasonable now and adjust to the drop in demand by dropping their rents will survive. The rest will have empty homes for a long while. There are few relocations, few renters looking and fewer still with stable jobs to uphold rents now. I accepted crazy rent prices the last two years in a sellers/landlords market because I wanted my kids in Mill Valley school systems....this is now a buyers/renters market....its time for landlords to accept.
paranoid

Oakland, CA

#14 Apr 24, 2009
I searched around a lot for my place and can't complain, I pay less than what they quoted for Marin.

Rent is high here, but that is the cost of living in Marin. You want to live cheaper live in the east bay.

BTW the owner of the apartment I rent keeps everything up to date, rarely charges me for any repairs and has kept my rent low. If you look hard enough you can find what you're looking for.
To Well

San Rafael, CA

#15 Apr 24, 2009
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have to lay off 10 employees in the coming weeks. I have heard many employers who blame Obama go out into the parking lot and look for Obama bumper stickers and lay those people off first. I did this and have a list of 7 employees. I didn't realize the democratic party was actually the socialist party. Socialists/democrats/liberals, call them what you want, but at the end of the day they don't work nearly as hard as people not looking for free handouts. I want employees who support capitalism. I know they are with me and will stand behind me. If you have an Obama sticker on your car you hate capitalism so I don't want you around in my organization. Interestingly I agree, the hope and change people are the easiest to layoff because they live on that hope and change mantra.

“Marin”

Since: Feb 09

Mill Valley

#16 Apr 24, 2009
AMEN! If renters aren't happy with what they have in Marin, leave! No one is forcing you to live in what you believe to be less-than-fair (boo hoo) housing.
Well wrote:
Being a landlord, I can tell you this. When Obama raised my taxes (yes, I make over $250k), the first thing I did was raise my rent to offset it. Also, every liberal initiative that is approved, I raise my rents. That's always been a given.
Also, when Obama taxes my company more, I will lay off one to two people or more, and I will transfer those salaries to my salary. Obama said, lets transfer the wealth so I am doing exactly what he said. Additionally, I will increase my prices on the products I sell. In fact, I have already started that. I've already gone through it all with my tax accountant and all he said was you and everyone else being hit by Obama are doing the same. Tax accountants are doing really well these days. I asked him too if any of his liberal clients are doing the same, he said, "they were the first ones calling me".
At the end of the day it seems clear to me Obama is hurting people by putting them deeper in the hole whereas before they had a chance of getting out of the hole. Nothing has changed for me. In fact, I am on track to make more money this year than any year in the past 10. My employees and my tenants though are hurting but many of those same people voted for Obama so they can't complain in the slightest.

“Marin”

Since: Feb 09

Mill Valley

#17 Apr 24, 2009
Either obama or that fact that people are stupid enough to pay a rent they believe is too high. Either way, renters/liberals think they're sticking it to the owners/convs... but you're biting the hand that feeds you...
The Hype wrote:
So, you're telling us that Obama is the reason rents in Marin are too high? Because they were SO LOW during the Republican era. Right?
It's terribly amusing how some people find a way to blame anything - anything (including the price of tea in China)- on their political targets. But it does supply a steady source of comedy!
Snark Attack

Hyattsville, MD

#18 Apr 24, 2009
Well wrote:
Being a landlord, I can tell you this. When Obama raised my taxes (yes, I make over $250k), the first thing I did was raise my rent to offset it. Also, every liberal initiative that is approved, I raise my rents. That's always been a given.
Also, when Obama taxes my company more, I will lay off one to two people or more, and I will transfer those salaries to my salary. Obama said, lets transfer the wealth so I am doing exactly what he said. Additionally, I will increase my prices on the products I sell. In fact, I have already started that. I've already gone through it all with my tax accountant and all he said was you and everyone else being hit by Obama are doing the same. Tax accountants are doing really well these days. I asked him too if any of his liberal clients are doing the same, he said, "they were the first ones calling me".
At the end of the day it seems clear to me Obama is hurting people by putting them deeper in the hole whereas before they had a chance of getting out of the hole. Nothing has changed for me. In fact, I am on track to make more money this year than any year in the past 10. My employees and my tenants though are hurting but many of those same people voted for Obama so they can't complain in the slightest.
Your post makes no sense. The taxes we paid this April were not the result of Obama. Those rates were from Bush. If you are going to make more money this year then what is the problem? If you were losing money it might make some sense.
Snark Attack

Hyattsville, MD

#19 Apr 24, 2009
To Well wrote:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have to lay off 10 employees in the coming weeks. I have heard many employers who blame Obama go out into the parking lot and look for Obama bumper stickers and lay those people off first. I did this and have a list of 7 employees. I didn't realize the democratic party was actually the socialist party. Socialists/democrats/liberals, call them what you want, but at the end of the day they don't work nearly as hard as people not looking for free handouts. I want employees who support capitalism. I know they are with me and will stand behind me. If you have an Obama sticker on your car you hate capitalism so I don't want you around in my organization. Interestingly I agree, the hope and change people are the easiest to layoff because they live on that hope and change mantra.
There were plenty of life long Republicans that wanted nothing to do with McCain and Palin. Obama never would have won with just Democratic votes. If that was the case Bush would not have won a second term. If you choose not to layoff based on seniority have a good time fighting wrongful termination law suits.
Layne Amiot

Corte Madera, CA

#20 Apr 24, 2009
Lastest Issues regarding ownership in Marin:

MMWD proposes 7.3% water bill increase
Marin Sanitary increase garbage rates
Local sales tax increased 1%
Flood insurance increased about 10%
I recently hired a licensed plumber at $135. hour

Can I buy a house in Nevada for a good price????????
PetrolPete

Pacifica, CA

#21 Apr 24, 2009
TO WELL:
Lay-off people because of their political affiliation?
You reap what you sow, baby!
I see tremendous legal issues in your rosy future!

I know your type, I get behind you everyday on the freeway, in line at the supermarket, etc...

Death N Taxes

Chino, CA

#22 Apr 24, 2009
The Hype wrote:
Rental rates, for the quality being offered, are still out of line. 50% of ridiculous is still ridiculous. I don't mind paying a fair rent for a quality unit, but when some crack-smoking landlord wants to try to charge me two grand to rent some dank, teeny unit with no laundry, no garden, no nothing, he or she will find themselves sitting on that property. Worst of all is the failure to provide truth in advertising -'heated pool' when it's padlocked and cold,'huge rooms' that turn out to be dollhouse sized, etc.
It's not reasonable to say 'if you don't like it, don't rent here.' What kind of crock is that? If you are a landlord, first of all, you *should* be licensed and taxed like every other business owner, but failing that, you should provide a fair product for a fair price - like every other business owner. It's the only business (aside from banking/insurance) where avarice and duplicity seem to be happily tolerated.
....please take a basic economics class: focus on supply and demand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Daly: A tale not to be forgotten 16 min American Gentlema... 1
News Breakup may have led to Bridgeport homicide 2 hr American Gentlema... 1
May the 4th be with you 2 hr American Gentlema... 4
News Report Lists Top Reasons Why Stratford Police P... 6 hr Citizen44 4
News Urgently Needed: A Public Jobs Program 9 hr Citizen44 7
News Preliminary plans unveiled for Remington Woods ... 9 hr Citizen44 20
News Hope Chapel parishoners sue ex-pastor, church f... (Sep '09) 17 hr Nancy Kirkjian 343
More from around the web

Westport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]