Stop & Shop filling antibiotic prescr...

Stop & Shop filling antibiotic prescriptions -- free

There are 29 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Dec 31, 2008, titled Stop & Shop filling antibiotic prescriptions -- free. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

If you think $4 is too much to pay for an antibiotic, then wait until Friday, when Stop & Shop Supermarkets will fill prescriptions for some generic antibiotics at no charge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wee Man

West Babylon, NY

#1 Dec 31, 2008
I would rather Stop&Shop lower their food prices than give away free drugs.
What this really means

Wallingford, CT

#2 Dec 31, 2008
Boy, doesn't it sound like Stop and Shop is such a great company? But what about the mom and pop pharmacies that can't afford to give away free drugs? Many of them rely on the added income when their customers come in for a prescription and pick up additional items. Times are tough for everyone, not just those that need antibiotics. I agree with "Wee Man", Stop and Shop should lower their food prices and not use this as a marketing tool to make more money. I didn't think Stop and Shop was in the business of driving out the little guy. Looks like I'll be shopping at Shaws and going to Lupes.
Mirons Minibrain

Dover, MA

#3 Dec 31, 2008
If it's the Stratford S&S you still have to wait 30 mins to 1 hour to get 30 pills put in a bottle. What the hell? I guess they lowered the price to account for the slow service?

I'd rather support the local pharmacist who give a crap about customer service.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#4 Dec 31, 2008
You can bet if some of the pill prices are going down then there'll be increases on staple goods or what they bill the gov't for other prescriptions…
Bob

Oxford, CT

#5 Dec 31, 2008
Their goal is to get you to shop for their overpriced food while you wait for the prescription to be filled. These are old drugs that they pay only pennies for. They probably make up for the cost if you buy one bag of chips for $3.29. It's cheaper than advertising.
Shaws

Trumbull, CT

#6 Jan 1, 2009
S&S Pharmacy - forget it! I tried them once and they were unfriendly, couldn't answer my questions and were not interested.
I drive 25 minutes to get to my dependable Shelton Shaw's pharmacist and will continue to do so. Concern and knowledge are more important than free medication!
AVA

Boone, NC

#7 Jan 1, 2009
They know if you get a script for Antibiotics which they get for pennies the Doctor most likely has given you another Script which will cost you big time....The other thing is you will shop while waiting for them to fill it..at least a half hour...CVS for me !
stg

Carver, MA

#8 Jan 1, 2009
Some of the most common ailments for which U.S. physicians prescribe antibiotics have been found to clear up just about as well without antibiotics, including ear infections, strep throat, and sinus infections -- probably many others, too. Every time someone is given an antibiotic that they might not need, that increases everyone else's risk of acquiring a deadly anti-biotic resistant bacteria. There are also significant risks of allergic reactions from antibiotics (I had such a reaction and found myself in the ER). Doctor's over-prescribe them because ignorant patients demand them and because many doctors haven't kept up with the latest literature and are afraid of lawsuits.

People need to learn to wait some of these things out, they will clear up on their own. Stop rushing to the doctor's office every time you sneeze, it's driving up health care costs for everyone. Free anti-biotics aren't going to help that.
Cityslicker

Piscataway, NJ

#9 Jan 1, 2009
Mirons Minibrain wrote:
If it's the Stratford S&S you still have to wait 30 mins to 1 hour to get 30 pills put in a bottle. What the hell? I guess they lowered the price to account for the slow service?
I'd rather support the local pharmacist who give a crap about customer service.
Well thats a lot quicker than Walgreens in Stratford, which aside from taking way too long to fill the scrips, they short you on pills, then they act as if it was your fault! They give you the wrong script or someone elses prescription. Plus you cant even get a hold of them on the phone, you get to wait for the next available person, and then when the phone finally gets answered it NOT even the pharmacy department, then they put you on hold again for an hour.
mom of 2

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 1, 2009
i would rather go to hancock pharmacy where they treat ALL customers with respect no matter what insurance they have. Stop and Shop is over priced and employee's have no respect/customer service.
ken

United States

#11 Jan 1, 2009
maybe if the drug companies werent so greedy,then these prices would be the norm instead of the exception.the insurance companies are raising all of our premiums each year but not giving the doctors more money.they are reimbursing the doctors the same or in some caees less so the difference goes into the insurance companies pocket.the cost of everything from slaries to rent to all their overhead is increasing for doctors.they have to either cut the quality of their care or stop practicing medicine.i applaud walmart and stop n shop for doing this. its not like they have to lower prices and help people.people are losing jobs which means theyre losing there medical insurance since cobra is so expensive.its time this country demands a healthcare overhaul or befroe we know it only the wealthiest will have medical coverage
karen

New Rochelle, NY

#12 Jan 1, 2009
Hmmmmm.. I must be missing something here, but I think this is a good program, especially for those with no insuranceand no extra to spend on a prescription for an antibiotic. There is no qualification that you must buy grocery products there to use this service. Personally, I am grateful for any break I get in life financially these days. Thanks, Stop and Shop.
Jen

Scarsdale, NY

#13 Jan 1, 2009
Cityslicker wrote:
<quoted text> Well thats a lot quicker than Walgreens in Stratford, which aside from taking way too long to fill the scrips, they short you on pills, then they act as if it was your fault! They give you the wrong script or someone elses prescription. Plus you cant even get a hold of them on the phone, you get to wait for the next available person, and then when the phone finally gets answered it NOT even the pharmacy department, then they put you on hold again for an hour.
You are right on with this one!! That place is always a zoo full of REALLY angry customers!!! CVS isn't much better... I like the Stratford Target pharmacy. Great staff. Really helpful. They almost always have the meds in stock and usually fill in 15 minutes.
stop and shop driver

Matawan, NJ

#14 Jan 1, 2009
I think some are missing the point,get caught doing something illegal,go to court told you have to give back to the customer and this way seems so giving so nice.No one gives anything away all you cynics,Think this one through no one else has.Stop and Shop is located in Readville Mass,google court news in Dedham.
North ender

Wolcott, CT

#15 Jan 1, 2009
karen wrote:
Hmmmmm.. I must be missing something here, but I think this is a good program, especially for those with no insuranceand no extra to spend on a prescription for an antibiotic. There is no qualification that you must buy grocery products there to use this service. Personally, I am grateful for any break I get in life financially these days. Thanks, Stop and Shop.
You are so right - free is a good thing and they aren't asking that you purchase anything to qualify. We don't see that often enough, and antibiotics can be very expensive. This is helpful for uninsured people, kudos to Stop & Shop.
Someone

Staten Island, NY

#16 Jan 4, 2009
stg wrote:
Some of the most common ailments for which U.S. physicians prescribe antibiotics have been found to clear up just about as well without antibiotics, including ear infections, strep throat, and sinus infections -- probably many others, too. Every time someone is given an antibiotic that they might not need, that increases everyone else's risk of acquiring a deadly anti-biotic resistant bacteria. There are also significant risks of allergic reactions from antibiotics (I had such a reaction and found myself in the ER). Doctor's over-prescribe them because ignorant patients demand them and because many doctors haven't kept up with the latest literature and are afraid of lawsuits.
People need to learn to wait some of these things out, they will clear up on their own. Stop rushing to the doctor's office every time you sneeze, it's driving up health care costs for everyone. Free anti-biotics aren't going to help that.
STREP THROAT? REALLY?! Are you completely insane? I hope to god no one takes your advice. Have you ever heard of rheumatic fever? This is what often happens when a case of strep throat is left to correct on its own. The victim often has no symptoms for years, and then their heart fails and they need extreme surgery or could DIE. GREAT ADVICE!!! Antibiotics are a GOOD IDEA if you have an INFECTION. It's the doctors that prescribe it to people WITHOUT an infection whom are doing a disservice to everyone. You are just as clueless as they are.
Regina

United States

#17 Jan 7, 2009
Thought this would be helpful. Especially with Philip not feeling well.
Jeff

Pantin, France

#18 Oct 9, 2009
I take generic Ampicillin (usually order at http://totaldrugs24.com/item/ampicillin.html ). It's really effective medicine for me.
Deborah Ferguson

Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia

#20 Nov 2, 2010
I've tried both original brand and generic pills. There is no difference in effectiveness as far as I can tell between the brand and Indian generic versions. The real difference is price, no comparison. And the India suppliers from http://allbestmeds.info seem honest and reliable.
lenhud Young

Italy

#23 Aug 6, 2011
Amoxil from http://trustedamoxicillin.info for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: no side effects, gentle but efective. Feelings of relief began a few hours after the first pill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Fourth of July 10 hr Citizen44 3
environmental (Mar '06) 14 hr Mike g Papa 2
News Cuban-Americans have mixed emotions about embas... 17 hr WE JUST DONT CARE 13
News Courthouse gets rehabilitated 23 hr CTM 3
eileen smith arrested for DUI & falsifying audits 23 hr norwalknurse203 1
eileen smith arrested for DUI & falsifing audits 23 hr getup 3
News Bridgeport's Timothy's Is Winner In DVlicious I... Jun 29 American Gentlema... 3
More from around the web

Westport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Westport Mortgages