Bridgeport gun buyback nets 650 weapons

Bridgeport gun buyback nets 650 weapons

There are 35 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Feb 20, 2013, titled Bridgeport gun buyback nets 650 weapons. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

After a temporary suspension because of last week's snowstorm, the Police Department's gun buyback program is back in full swing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BPT

New Haven, CT

#1 Feb 21, 2013
650!
that's a lot of guns.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2 Feb 21, 2013
BPT wrote:
650!
that's a lot of guns.
It sure is. I actually believe in this. I think there's a very good chance that can prevent some tragic events.
LynneB

Waterford, CT

#3 Feb 21, 2013
I encourage EVERYONE to read this letter from a young man who survived the Columbine shooting:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/20/co...

He makes a valid point when he says, regarding the 10-round limit for magazines: "Let me ask you this: Why would you prefer criminals to have the ability to out-gun law-abiding citizens? Under this policy, criminals will still have their 30-round magazines, but the average American will not. Whose side are you on?

Lastly, when did they government get into the business of regulating “needs?” This is yet another example of government overreaching and straying from its intended purpose."

He also writes: "First, a universal background check will have many devastating effects. It will arguably have the opposite impact of what you propose. If adopted, criminals will know that they can not pass a background check legally, so they will resort to other avenues. With the conditions being set by this initiative, it will create a large black market for weapons and will support more criminal activity and funnel additional money into the hands of thugs, criminals, and people who will do harm to American citizens."

There is more. PLEASE read the WHOLE letter, and take the time to THINK.

Thank you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 21, 2013
I am thinking Lynne. God bless you.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Feb 21, 2013
LynneB wrote:
I encourage EVERYONE to read this letter from a young man who survived the Columbine shooting:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/20/co...
He makes a valid point when he says, regarding the 10-round limit for magazines: "Let me ask you this: Why would you prefer criminals to have the ability to out-gun law-abiding citizens? Under this policy, criminals will still have their 30-round magazines, but the average American will not. Whose side are you on?
Lastly, when did they government get into the business of regulating “needs?” This is yet another example of government overreaching and straying from its intended purpose."
He also writes: "First, a universal background check will have many devastating effects. It will arguably have the opposite impact of what you propose. If adopted, criminals will know that they can not pass a background check legally, so they will resort to other avenues. With the conditions being set by this initiative, it will create a large black market for weapons and will support more criminal activity and funnel additional money into the hands of thugs, criminals, and people who will do harm to American citizens."
There is more. PLEASE read the WHOLE letter, and take the time to THINK.
Thank you.
All true, although the mass killings mostly were not committed by criminals. Instead it was people with simmering unaddressed mental problems, who bought the guns through legal channels.
AVA-AVA-AVA

Spartanburg, SC

#6 Feb 21, 2013
The criminals are not giving up their guns and most guns being turned in are not worth what the PD are paying for them.The good thing is that they will not take a life .Our guns are staying just where they are secure in our home.
sunnyday

Naugatuck, CT

#7 Feb 21, 2013
They are making it about guns and gun control. This man from (sandy hook) wanted to inflict great pain and suffering. Someone like that can and will find a way to do it. It's doesn't matter to them how they do it, they just want to hurt people. The gun was just a tool , a means to an end .
We banned alcohol and alcohol use ROSE. We made drugs illegal and drug use has not had any real noticeable drop. Criminals will do what they want . That is why they are criminals.
Shooting people is , and always will be illegal. If someone like this will shoot a child, then it doesn't matter if the gun was legal or not . If you make guns illegal, then the "good " guys won't have guns anymore and the criminals will still have these guns . I hope that they find a way to prevent these tragedies from happening again.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 21, 2013
AVA-AVA-AVA wrote:
The criminals are not giving up their guns and most guns being turned in are not worth what the PD are paying for them.The good thing is that they will not take a life .Our guns are staying just where they are secure in our home.
Some of the guns being given up would wind up in criminals hands though...
BPT

United States

#9 Feb 21, 2013
AVA-AVA-AVA wrote:
The criminals are not giving up their guns and most guns being turned in are not worth what the PD are paying for them.The good thing is that they will not take a life .Our guns are staying just where they are secure in our home.
You probably are safe without your guns if you just pin up a few pages from a newspaper`s unemployment section around the outside of your house. That will scare the n`igs away.
America Gentleman Samuel

New Haven, CT

#10 Feb 21, 2013
Bless you LynneB.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#11 Feb 21, 2013
It is bedtime for Tippy and her fish and myself, and to all, a good night.
sunnyday

Naugatuck, CT

#12 Feb 22, 2013
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>You probably are safe without your guns if you just pin up a few pages from a newspaper`s unemployment section around the outside of your house. That will scare the n`igs away.
Bush was called a terrorist all the time for doing the same thing Obama is doing, killing terrorist with UAV'S but Obama is killing more.
AVA-AVA-AVA

Spartanburg, SC

#13 Feb 22, 2013
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of the guns being given up would wind up in criminals hands though...
That is why I said at least they will not kill anyone.
BPT

United States

#15 Feb 22, 2013
sunnyday wrote:
<quoted text>Bush was called a terrorist all the time for doing the same thing Obama is doing, killing terrorist with UAV'S but Obama is killing more.
THAT`s what blacks do best, murder. And rape. Don`t tell me this is surprising you.
sunnyday

Naugatuck, CT

#16 Feb 22, 2013
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>THAT`s what blacks do best, murder. And rape. Don`t tell me this is surprising you.
Late term abortion is murder
No more insults to islam and the middle east put on film target the Ambassador
BPT

United States

#17 Feb 22, 2013
early term abortion is murder, and n`igs have plenty of them. Sorry if your precious sandni ggers are getting offended. Now back to the subject.
Lifeisshort

United States

#18 Feb 25, 2013
I wonder how much I can get for my old flintlock. How about this cap-and-ball hanging over the fireplace? Yeah.....I didn't think so.
This buy-back program is around again and it didn't accomplish anything years ago, just clean out someone's garage.
So is this what they've come up with to bring down the killings? God help us.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#19 Feb 25, 2013
Lifeisshort wrote:
I wonder how much I can get for my old flintlock. How about this cap-and-ball hanging over the fireplace? Yeah.....I didn't think so.
This buy-back program is around again and it didn't accomplish anything years ago, just clean out someone's garage.
So is this what they've come up with to bring down the killings? God help us.
So some inner city family has a piece laying around for protection, dad dies, junior is now a teenager and getting into trouble, you think that household ought to have that gun still laying around for the kid to find it? Come on, some guns are best not left laying around.
gecdec

Rochester, PA

#20 Feb 26, 2013
http://youtube.com/watch... ……
excuse are reason
Lifeisshort

United States

#21 Feb 26, 2013
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
So some inner city family has a piece laying around for protection, dad dies, junior is now a teenager and getting into trouble, you think that household ought to have that gun still laying around for the kid to find it? Come on, some guns are best not left laying around.
In situations such as this I would say, sure, turn in that lying-around firearm.
What really irks me is that I can't stomach listening to another politician spouting off about more gun control and telling people that we need more gun laws simply because some inner city kid wants to make a name for himself and by doing so the rest of us law abiding citizens have to give up our legally owned guns. If they want to have a gun buy-back, great! Go for it if you think it will do some good but don't get your hopes up that it will stop gun related crime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maker of AR-15 used at Sandy Hook wants marketi... 18 hr Israel Did 911 1
Robtard is an Azz (Mar '12) Tue What a Queen 291
News Barnum Festival going out with a bang Mon BPT 11
Looking for a pink Harley Mon facebook update 24
News Bridgeport ranked 2nd richest U.S. city (Nov '15) Mon Samuels Furnace Man 4
News Ganim, unions in concessions stare-down Jun 26 America Gentleman... 1
Norwalk's thugs and G-Monies are out showing th... (May '11) Jun 26 ffctguitar 313

Westport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westport Mortgages