Weston State Hospital owner seeks inv...

Weston State Hospital owner seeks investors on eBay

There are 45 comments on the The Herald-Dispatch.com story from Sep 5, 2007, titled Weston State Hospital owner seeks investors on eBay. In it, The Herald-Dispatch.com reports that:

“I think that all they're doing is looking for investors, so it doesn't concern me”

WESTON, W.Va. - A contractor who bought the historic Weston State Hospital at a public auction is using another auction to attract investors to help develop the property. via The Herald-Dispatch.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald-Dispatch.com.

hpd 4 better reception

United States

#21 Sep 28, 2010
getting ready to make the trip up here for halloween. I hate to hear that people from this area hate the tourists, the money that is spent in your town,and the sdvertisment that is brought by this terrible place.
We will be spending a week in your area at your motels, eating in your area, buying from your stores, and all because my mother was in this place this is so horrible to have the word lunatic in its title. Do you know why were coming? my mother wants to come back to view a place that she saw as the most beautiful place she had ever seen.
Just so you know, not everyone that was in there was crazy/lunatics etc. People with TB, or closer to us in history kids that they couldn't do anything with were sent there.
1 post removed
me and only me

Hurricane, WV

#23 Oct 17, 2010
stop complaining people...I went last night for the haunted tour...with so many people there, you think you would be happy so much revenue was coming into your little WV town...good grief. And to Turtle9521 Weston WV, I couldn't have said it better!
Jan

Charleston, WV

#24 Oct 17, 2010
We purchased vip tickets to tour there.We drove a very long distance and was turned away because they were full.A lot of others also were turned away and the would not refund our money.They are con artists.They knew how many the place would allow.But sold tickets anyway knowing full well they would keep the money.They are dishonest.
MrsCurtis

Fairmont, WV

#25 Nov 15, 2010
I would appreciate any case study information, primary or secondary sources, or personal account of happenings at Weston State Hospital. A colleague and myself are in the early stages of putting together a history of the facility. I would like to cover architecture, staffing, and patient experiences as well as the connection to the hospital regarding the community. Please email any information to Angie at [email protected]

Thank you!
Angela Shaffer
WTF

Glen Allen, VA

#26 Nov 15, 2010
jim pickens wrote:
So I take that the mud bog isn't turning a profit.
You have an idiotic comment for everything, Put the liquer bottle down, and get a life.
1 post removed
McCobbe

New Bern, NC

#28 Nov 25, 2010
Its funny how the WV Mental Health Consumers Association is so prepared to attack the endeavors of TALA. So quick are they to encourage others to boycott or act against. TALA like so many others is merely trying to expose the attrocities acted upon those who were mentally or deemed mentally ill and through by illegal means some were incarcerated. Now what bothers me is I did a little researching of my own and found that the WVMHCA receives funding from the WV office of Behavioral Medicine who in turn is funded by another state entity WV Department of Health and Human Resources and was originally know as the WV Department of Human Services who at one time was responsible for committing many of persons to Weston State Hospital (formerly TALA). Ofcourse they want to fund an organization that suppresses other organizations like TALA who tell the truth of what happened there. Maybe TALA should apply the right to know act to find more info on the attrocities and why state agencies are funding other agencies who attempt to suppress in the name of advocacy when in reality they are merely a pawn to hide dark secrets.
Aly

United States

#29 Nov 26, 2010
i absolutly love this place, i think it is beautiful and a great historical attraction,
ive been in love with it since i first saw the place when i was 14.
and i know for a fact when it first opened it was called Trans-Allegheny LUNATIC Asylum. And any educated person, on this subject of course, would know that the hospital wasn't just for "crazy" people.
Quentin Cabell Smith

Pompano Beach, FL

#30 Mar 14, 2011
docmc Nerk Ahia wrote:
Can anyone tell me where someone might research a Patient's history, hospital records, etc.?
I was told by telephone by a County judge's secretary that proof of relationship to a patient and approval of the judge must be obtained in person. This seems too pedantic when talking about a patient/relative who died in 1919.
Quentin Cabell Smith

Pompano Beach, FL

#31 Mar 14, 2011
Will wrote:
Seriouslly people, you need to quit complaining about all the things that are going on at the Weston State Hospital. I think it is a very good idea to sell shirts and use it for a tour attraction. This is a good way to make money and the tours are very fun.
Whatever it takes to preserve the complex until a Donald Trump comes along.

“Up yours ”

Since: Mar 07

weston,wv

#32 Mar 16, 2011
The state really screwed them over by screwing them out of the mineral rights.
fatdaddy

Summersville, WV

#33 Apr 14, 2011
i would like to find records of an aunt how would i do this
Billyg

Shrewsbury, PA

#34 Jul 29, 2011
I lived in Weston from age 1 (1941) to age 8 (1949) at which time we moved to Buckhannon. I had an older step brother who was either housed there or who worked there in the kitchen. I remember going there on a fourth of July and seeing all kind of games being played. What I remember most was the greased pole. People who were housed there tried to get to the top for money that was stuck there. I would like to find out about old records so I can find out if my step brother was an inmate or worker.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#35 Jul 29, 2011
Their website says they have none of the old records there. So i would say your best bet to find out what happened to them would be to contact the Sharpe Hospital since that is where atleast patients that were still at the old place were moved to
I agree

Clarksburg, WV

#36 Aug 12, 2011
Quentin Cabell Smith wrote:
<quoted text>I was told by telephone by a County judge's secretary that proof of relationship to a patient and approval of the judge must be obtained in person. This seems too pedantic when talking about a patient/relative who died in 1919.
You can thank HIPPA laws for this ridiculous protecting of the privacy of a person who has been dead for nearly 100 years.
I agree

Clarksburg, WV

#37 Aug 12, 2011
Uknown Hinson wrote:
Their website says they have none of the old records there. So i would say your best bet to find out what happened to them would be to contact the Sharpe Hospital since that is where atleast patients that were still at the old place were moved to
There also may be records in Charleston in the state archives. A call to your legislator (if you're West Virginian) may result in some guidance of what to do to find records. If you're not from W.Va., call our governor's office and they will probably help.
Slang Blade

United States

#38 Oct 2, 2011
Aly wrote:
i absolutly love this place, i think it is beautiful and a great historical attraction,
ive been in love with it since i first saw the place when i was 14.
and i know for a fact when it first opened it was called Trans-Allegheny LUNATIC Asylum. And any educated person, on this subject of course, would know that the hospital wasn't just for "crazy" people.
It was not just for crazy people i was there when i was a little boy,an not old enough to go to jail.hummm They kept me in there for a long time, but they finley let me go.hummmm

“Up yours ”

Since: Mar 07

weston,wv

#39 Oct 2, 2011
They use to put people in there for public intoxication
wondering

Fairfield, VA

#40 Oct 9, 2011
I have always heard that it was a option to be West Virginia University. Does anyone know if that is true? Does anybody know how to get to see the records?
Wideglide

Snowshoe, WV

#41 Oct 13, 2011
Whatever the Jordans are doing with the hospital it is better than having it sit empty and fall apart.
cherry

United States

#42 Oct 31, 2011
Hello everyone! I am not from Weston, but drove almost 4 hours to spend and evening at TALA. Weston seems to me like another small, struggling town in WV. I am not bashing Weston by any means. Because I come from another small, struggling town in WV. That has nothing like this to bring in revenue. While I was there I spoke to a couple of people who had come from Pennsylvania. They drove about as far as I did. They also spent their money in your town. We all had choices of where to go for Halloween and all of the people that were there chose Weston as their destination. It is a wonderful little town. All of the local people we met while eating, or asking for directions were sooooo friendly! Thank you Weston for a great Halloween!
As far as the actual "lunatic" thing goes. There are many many of these places in the Eastern US that served the same purpose as TALA. A good example is Pennhurst. Back when these places were thriving it wasn't just "lunatics" that were there. It was epileptics, down-syndrome, bi-polar, mildly retarded, autistic, and every other variation of abnormal. No one knew what these diseases were in the 1800's and early 1900's. Let alone how to treat them. So they sent them away. These people were a disgrace to their families. No one wanted anyone to know they had some one like that in their blood line. So many were put there and forgotten. Its a sad and oppressive place because you know it wasn't a life and most that went there never left.
And for those of you wanting family history info. After doing a lot of family tree research in WV, I have found the WV Courthouses keep death records. So if they died in Weston it should be at the County Courthouse. In the records room. And in a lot of instances I have found that the reason of death is listed also, if known. So that may help some of you. Thanks Weston!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drove Homewood road seen a lot of druggies out. 34 min Travis 43
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 1 hr Missy 4,207
Weston's problem. 2 hr Hey Now 32
enzo cardelli 2 hr julia 1
Tiff Crum 9 hr James b 7
Jayna Jefferies anyone know this b****??? 16 hr Haha 14
Mikey Pumphrey 22 hr Mystic 4

Weston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance