Weston State Hospital owner seeks inv...

Weston State Hospital owner seeks investors on eBay

There are 45 comments on the The Herald-Dispatch.com story from Sep 5, 2007, titled Weston State Hospital owner seeks investors on eBay. In it, The Herald-Dispatch.com reports that:

“I think that all they're doing is looking for investors, so it doesn't concern me”

WESTON, W.Va. - A contractor who bought the historic Weston State Hospital at a public auction is using another auction to attract investors to help develop the property. via The Herald-Dispatch.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald-Dispatch.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Quentin Cabell Smith

AOL

#1 Nov 16, 2007
What will happen to the cemetery at Weston State Hospital. And what about the hospital records? With so much history invested in the institution, the documentation and the physical evidence of that history must be preserved.
Rachel

Charles Town, WV

#2 Nov 25, 2007
I know alot of people are buried there so that is a good ? I had a aunt die there at that place I just hope some type of historic exibit is set up at the place. Out of respect for the people who died there. I really don't think some were crazy it was just another time frame.
Hate it

Parkersburg, WV

#3 Jun 30, 2008
I toured the hospital today and was very upset with the name and the ghost tours. It is very disrespectful to the suffering of the people who were committed there. So many people were abused and killed there.....now it seems to be a joke to the owners who are trying to make money from this. It should not have been named "lunatic asylum." That is moving the progress made in mental illness back 250 years, for what.....fun?

The owners could apply for historical grants to work on restoring the building. It may take longer, but would be respectful to the memory of the people who were there.

Don't buy a t-shirt advertising "lunatic asylum." How degrading.
Jodie

United States

#4 Jul 2, 2008
I was in Weston, went by the hospital and noticed it was opened. My family went in and we really didn't understand what was going on until we saw t-shirts with "lunatic asylum" printed on them for sale along with key chains, and other items. It was really in bad taste considering the hopital had many patients that were from all over WV and probably many family members were instituted there that were forgotten and not talked about at the supper table. It was really upsetting to see such a place used as a "joke" and very disrespectful to the public.

If I lived in Weston I would try to stop this "amusement park" in my community. It was horrific in the fact it set mental illness back generations.
jason

Sierra Vista, AZ

#5 Jul 25, 2008
y'all need to lighten up most places were called insane, lunitic, asylums back in the day. Everybody has to be p.c. these days, oooh we might offend somebody.
Gracie Lu

Bristol, TN

#6 Jul 25, 2008
jason wrote:
y'all need to lighten up most places were called insane, lunitic, asylums back in the day. Everybody has to be p.c. these days, oooh we might offend somebody.
Yea, maybe they called your family lunatic's and so it really doesn't bother you.......now does it?
Cheri

Ashburn, VA

#7 Aug 8, 2008
Gracie Lu wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, maybe they called your family lunatic's and so it really doesn't bother you.......now does it?
In the 1800's Mental Institutions were called Lunatic Asylums. This place is being preserved as a historical building thus it is using the name that WAS p.c. at the time. As for the cemetary the grounds have predesignated rights and will remain as is.
Look at it this way ... it could have been left to rot and we would have lost the beauty of this Kirkbride building forever.
Micky

Akron, PA

#8 Aug 12, 2008
Cheri wrote:
<quoted text>
In the 1800's Mental Institutions were called Lunatic Asylums. This place is being preserved as a historical building thus it is using the name that WAS p.c. at the time. As for the cemetary the grounds have predesignated rights and will remain as is.
Look at it this way ... it could have been left to rot and we would have lost the beauty of this Kirkbride building forever.
Just so you know...this institution was NEVER known as a "Lunatic Asylum". It was the "State Hospital". I know because I grew up in a town close by.
wvowner

United States

#9 Aug 12, 2008
History
The hospital was authorized by the Virginia General Assembly in the early 1850s as the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. Following consultations with Thomas Story Kirkbride, then-superintendent of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane, a building in the Kirkbride Plan was designed in the Gothic Revival and Tudor Revival styles by Richard Snowden Andrews (1830-1903), an architect from Baltimore whose other commissions included the Maryland Governor's residence in Annapolis and the south wing of the U.S. Treasury building in Washington. Construction on the site, along the West Fork River opposite downtown Weston, began in late 1858. Work was initially conducted by prison laborers; a local newspaper in November of that year noted "seven convict negroes" as the first arrivals for work on the project. Skilled stonemasons were later brought in from Germany and Ireland.

Construction was interrupted by the outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861. Following its secession from the United States, the government of Virginia demanded the return of the hospital's unused construction funds for its defense; before this could occur, the 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry seized the money from a local bank, delivering it to Wheeling, where it was put toward the establishment of the Reorganized Government of Virginia, which sided with the northern states during the war. The Reorganized Government appropriated money to resume construction in 1862; following the admission of West Virginia as a U.S. state in 1863, the hospital was renamed the West Virginia Hospital for the Insane. The first patients were admitted in October 1864, but construction continued into 1881. The 200-foot (61m) central clock tower was completed in 1871, and separate rooms for black people were completed in 1873. The hospital was intended to be self-sufficient, and a farm, dairy, waterworks, and cemetery were located on its grounds, which ultimately reached 666 acres (266 ha) in area. A gas well was drilled on the grounds in 1902. Its name was again changed to Weston State Hospital in 1913.

Originally designed to house 250 patients in solitude, the hospital held 717 patients by 1880; 1,661 in 1938; over 1,800 in 1949; and, at its peak, 2,400 in the 1950s in overcrowded conditions. A 1938 report by a survey committee organized by a group of North American medical organizations found that the hospital housed "epileptics, alcoholics, drug addicts and non-educable mental defectives" among its population. A series of reports by The Charleston Gazette in 1949 found poor sanitation and insufficient furniture, lighting, and heating in much of the complex, while one wing, which had been rebuilt using Works Progress Administration funds following a 1935 fire started by a patient, was comparatively luxurious.
wvowner

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2008
By the 1980s, the hospital had a reduced population due to changes in the treatment of mental illness. In 1986, then-Governor Arch Moore announced plans to build a new psychiatric facility elsewhere in the state and convert the Weston hospital to a prison. Ultimately the new facility, the William R. Sharpe Jr. Hospital, was built in Weston and the old Weston State Hospital was simply closed, in May 1994. The building and its grounds have since been mostly vacant, aside from local events such as tours of the first floor for $10.00 and all four floors for $30.00, fairs and church revivals. In 1999, all four floors of the interior of the building were damaged by paintball players; participants in the vandalism were found to include at least twenty local police officers and employees of area law enforcement agencies.

Efforts toward adaptive reuse of the building have included proposals to convert the building into a Civil War Museum[5] and a hotel and golf course complex.[8] A non-profit 501(c)3 organization, the Weston Hospital Revitalization Committee, was formed in 2000 for the purpose of aiding in preservation of the building and finding appropriate tenants.[10] Three small museums devoted to military history, toys, and mental health, respectively, were opened in the first floor of the building in 2004, but were soon forced to close due to fire code violations.[8]

The hospital was auctioned by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources on August 29, 2007. Joe Jordan, an asbestos demolition contractor from Morgantown, was the high bidder and paid $1.5 million for the 242,000 square foot building. Bidding started at $500,000.[11] Joe Jordan has also begun maintenance projects on the former hospital grounds. In October of 2007,a Fall Fest was held at the Weston State Hospital. Guided daytime tours were offered as well as a haunted hospital tour at night, a haunted hayride and a treasure hunt starting on the hospital front porch. Family hayrides, arts and crafts and local music were also offered.[citation needed] In 2008, The group TAPS was called to the hospital to conduct an investigation at the request of Joe Jordan due to purported claims of paranormal activity on the grounds. The owners are now offering tours 7 days a week and haunted tours on Friday nights and overnight stays on Saturdays.
wvowner

United States

#11 Aug 12, 2008
So now all of you know the first name was what the Jordans have named it. But it opened has the West Virginia Hospital for the Insane and then changed to the Weston State Hospital. Which for us from Lewis know it as.

“Up yours ”

Since: Mar 07

weston,wv

#12 Aug 13, 2008
So I take that the mud bog isn't turning a profit.
buster

Weston, WV

#13 Dec 11, 2008
Micky wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so you know...this institution was NEVER known as a "Lunatic Asylum". It was the "State Hospital". I know because I grew up in a town close by.
well i kno for a fact that the hospital when it first opened it was called the trans-allegheny lunatic asylum. next time do a little more research!
docmc Nerk Ahia

Muncy, PA

#14 Feb 7, 2009
Can anyone tell me where someone might research a Patient's history, hospital records, etc.?
My Great-grandmothe r

Clear Spring, MD

#15 Mar 13, 2009
I am looking for any information on my great-grandmother. I know she was admited and died there. I also lost my grandmother (her daughter) to Alzheimer's so this is close to my heart. If anyone has information on Anna Bell Ludwick b. abt 1883 and died in 1937 at WSH please email me at [email protected]
Thank you,
Angie
Nancy

Fishtail, MT

#16 Aug 29, 2009
docmc Nerk Ahia wrote:
Can anyone tell me where someone might research a Patient's history, hospital records, etc.?
What kind of responses did you get regarding patient hospital records?
Carlene Hallowell

Parkersburg, WV

#17 Sep 7, 2009
Gracie Lu wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they did call my family lunatics and it really doesn't bother me. My grandmother was an epileptic, which is one of the reasons for going to the lunatic asylum.
Turtle9521 Weston WV

Camden, WV

#18 Jan 17, 2010
Micky wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, Your 200 years old.... How do u know it was never "Known as" a lunatic asylum? Read up on things u don't know about, preferably b4 u post "facts" that are only facts in your "opinion". If you disagree with the name... Buy the place and call It "Micky's Fabulous and Humane place for the mentally deficient where ice pick lobotomies were never performed" or whatever is politically correct in your view.
And as an FYI... It was RECENTLY known as "The Weston State Hospital" Before the great city of Weston delegated it to worthless stature.
In MY "OPINION" I believe the ONLY thing that is making people aggravated about the entire thing is that, Noone, from the area, cared enough about the place when it was being used as a paintball battlefield by law enforcement, to actually try to bring money in to HELP restore the place. It took a Family that is not even from the area, to see the potential, and actually ACT to do something.
Then all of a sudden, every1 starts CARING.
sissy

United States

#19 Jan 18, 2010
i think most people in buckhannon dont even like weston
Will

Grantsville, WV

#20 Jul 15, 2010
Seriouslly people, you need to quit complaining about all the things that are going on at the Weston State Hospital. I think it is a very good idea to sell shirts and use it for a tour attraction. This is a good way to make money and the tours are very fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Johnna Dennison Friend 51 min Blondebitch304 1
News Weston again considers loan to repay IRS (Jul '10) 1 hr court house employee 11
Bull$%t home owners 2 hr court house employee 2
Kenny shoulders did what now? Sat Corrections man 28
Lena Lunsford needs to tell Fri Tina 25
Adam Arbogast (Jun '13) Thu Peter Tallman 8
lloyd lost a daughter named allison Nov 30 Lilinfo 4

Weston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Weston Mortgages