Should teachers be drug tested?
School Employee

Bridgeport, WV

#44 Feb 16, 2013
Funding is always available if you know where to find it. The school system is not known for their financial savy so I feel that's hardly a valid arguement. The act of off-setting any potential act that threatens children seems to be worth a few bucks.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#45 Feb 16, 2013
Christ, I hope not. I teach at the high school and there hasn't been a day in the last two months I haven't been hopped up on PCP or black tar heroin.

I hope they don't start testing or a lot of these kids I buy from will be out of a job.

Millington, TN

#46 Feb 23, 2013
Okay, apparently there are a great many deluded and uninformed individuals out there that think drug testing both teachers and welfare recipients is a good idea when quite the opposite is true, so let’s address this issue as comprehensively as possible (and if you don’t like the length, then quit thinking you’re intellectually lazy ass is entitled to any sort of an opinion). Now let’s make sure everyone out there knows what a policy is, why they are enacted, how much they cost, and how we measure their effectiveness.

A policy is a principle or rule to guide decisions and achieve RATIONAL outcomes (remember that “rational” part – it’s going to be important). A policy typically involves a political, management, financial, and/or administrative mechanism arranged to reach explicit goals.

The first step in creating a policy (drug testing or otherwise) is to first identify if there is a problem and if so, how prevalent the problem is. I understand that from many of the posts on this thread, many of you think there are many teachers in the Lewis Co. area with drug addiction problems. How do you know this? Has there been a study or survey? Are there a number of teachers who have been arrested for drug abuse lately? How do you know that drug use is a problem for Lewis Co. School teachers? Here’s the thing: I don’t think any of you have any clue regarding how many teachers out there are actually abusing drugs or whether it is an actual issue at all.

Maybe some of you know a certain teacher who smokes pot on weekends. Does that mean that most of them are doing drugs? No-- it does not. What you are practicing is guilt by association. In other words: if you know one or two teachers who are possible drug addicts, then you assume most of them are. This is, of course, bulls**t. In fact, most studies (including one recently done by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration found TEACHERS TO BE ONE OF THE LEAST LIKELIEST PROFESSIONS TO SUFFER FROM DRUG ABUSE. The professions with the highest number of drug abusers: food preparation and serving, construction, entertainment/sports/media, maintenance, and sales. You know what professions came in just over those? Medical professionals – the ones most likely to have access to drugs in the first place.

Millington, TN

#47 Feb 23, 2013
So let’s get this straight. You folks out there don’t mind if your doctors/surgeons/nurses, construction workers who build the roofs over you and your children, and people who make and serve you and your children food are taking a sh*tload of PCP and cocaine, but you DO care if it is someone who is not only statistically unlikely to be on drugs, but also doesn’t work heavy machinery, drive your children around, or prepare food for them. That doesn’t make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Okay, it’s obvious that most of you have no data to back up the need for implementing drug tests for teachers; however, regardless of the likelihood of very few taking any drugs, do any of you have actual instances of children being put in danger due to a teacher’s drug abuse? I find it doubtful considering that I do not recall any instance of a teacher’s students being harmed in any way shape of form due to the teacher’s drug abuse. Drug tests are sometimes necessary, especially when you are in a profession that not only has a high abuse rate but also involves duties that could harm others such as operating heavy machinery, preparing food for mass consumption, or performing surgery. Are teachers doing any of these things? I certainly hope not. The worst that could happen is that a teacher could drop some bad acid and chew your child’s face off, but when is the last time you heard that something like that happened? Shouldn’t you be more concerned that the driver of your child’s school bus is taking drugs? It seems to me that would make a lot more sense.

When we look at this “issue” objectively, it is obvious that problem identification in this instance has been a bust for drug testing teachers. They are not only statistically unlikely to be doing drugs, they are also much less likely to be performing actions that could somehow put your children in danger. The amazing thing is that we haven’t even got into the cost aspect of administering tests, nor have we addressed the moral implications of choosing one profession to test over others, but I’ll come back and address that later. Right now I’m going to shoot up and finish writing my lesson plans for next week.
just curious

United States

#48 Feb 23, 2013
Chad_J_Sex_Machine wrote:
So let’s get this straight. You folks out there don’t mind if your doctors/surgeons/nurses, construction workers who build the roofs over you and your children, and people who make and serve you and your children food are taking a sh*tload of PCP and cocaine, but you DO care if it is someone who is not only statistically unlikely to be on drugs, but also doesn’t work heavy machinery, drive your children around, or prepare food for them. That doesn’t make a whole hell of a lot of sense.
Okay, it’s obvious that most of you have no data to back up the need for implementing drug tests for teachers; however, regardless of the likelihood of very few taking any drugs, do any of you have actual instances of children being put in danger due to a teacher’s drug abuse? I find it doubtful considering that I do not recall any instance of a teacher’s students being harmed in any way shape of form due to the teacher’s drug abuse. Drug tests are sometimes necessary, especially when you are in a profession that not only has a high abuse rate but also involves duties that could harm others such as operating heavy machinery, preparing food for mass consumption, or performing surgery. Are teachers doing any of these things? I certainly hope not. The worst that could happen is that a teacher could drop some bad acid and chew your child’s face off, but when is the last time you heard that something like that happened? Shouldn’t you be more concerned that the driver of your child’s school bus is taking drugs? It seems to me that would make a lot more sense.
When we look at this “issue” objectively, it is obvious that problem identification in this instance has been a bust for drug testing teachers. They are not only statistically unlikely to be doing drugs, they are also much less likely to be performing actions that could somehow put your children in danger. The amazing thing is that we haven’t even got into the cost aspect of administering tests, nor have we addressed the moral implications of choosing one profession to test over others, but I’ll come back and address that later. Right now I’m going to shoot up and finish writing my lesson plans for next week.
Well said. It's a shame that you are wrong. Amoral individuals should not be put into position to influence our young. Period.
school employee

Philippi, WV

#49 Feb 23, 2013
Rationalizations do not make a valid policy base. As a member of a profession that cares for children and is paid by tax-based funds, drug and alcohol testing should be common place.

Millington, TN

#50 Feb 23, 2013
You're obviously not a teacher (or at least not a very good one) considering you don't know what a "rationalization" is. A rationalization as defined by the DSM-IV is "when an individual deals with emotional conflict or internal or external stressors by concealing the true motivations for his or her own thoughts, actions, or feelings through the elaboration of reassuring or self serving but INCORRECT explanations."

In this case, all of those arguing for drug testing for teachers are rationalizing a ineffective, costly, and unnecessary policy due to their own bias which "conceals the true motivations of his or her own thoughts, actions or feelings." In this case, those who want drug testing are arguing against fact due to their own need to scapegoat professionals that studies show are the least likely to take drugs.

The following facts remain in regards to drug testing teachers. Those who acknowledge these facts yet still argue for drug testing are the ones "rationalizing."

1. Educators rank in the top three professions with the least amount of drug abuse according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration.

2. The idea that drug tests would reduce the amount of teachers engaging in drug use is a fallacy. The results would be similar to the current red state trend of testing welfare recipients: few, if any, positive tests with the high costs of testing, administrative overhead, and lost teacher hours falling on tax payers.

3. No real results as there are currently no issues with students being hurt due to teachers under the influence.

4. Less respect for a field that already has little respect in America due to an unnecessary perception that teachers would need to be drug tested.

I am a former teacher and I am not a drug addict (unless you consider a few imported beers on the weekend being a drug addict). I am against the drug testing of teachers because IT IS ANOTHER TERRIBLE POLICY IN A COUNTRY FULL OF TERRIBLE POLICIES.

If you actually GIVE A DAMN about these kids, then why don't you get behind a national one-payer health system so that American wages won't remain stagnant due to the burden on business so that these kids can quit going hungry and grow up and make a decent wage like the 17 industrialized nations that have higher standards of living in America.

Better yet, since you are from Bridgeport where Bible fantasy trumps science, why don't you get behind firing teachers who push fundamentalist myth at the cost of the scientific facts students need to know for America to be competitive with other "non-religious bulls**t countries?"

Hey, here's another idea -- since these kids are in more danger of being killed in a mass shooting, why don't you a**holes get behind a nationwide assault rifle ban and buyback program like Australia's that reduced mass shootings to zero?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, none of you red state yahoos have higher level thinking skills. You've replaced critical thinking with Bible fantasy so our children have to suffer needlessly because of your uncommon ignorance and complete inability to acknowledge reason and fact over fantasy based group think.

Freakin' hypocritical s**heads. Can't wait for your generation to die out.
school employee

Philippi, WV

#51 Feb 24, 2013
Actually, you made my point regarding rationalations.Now here's another word you can research - Distraction. We were discussing using a drug and alcohol screening to increase the possibility of hiring and keeping a more appropiate staff. We were not discussing theology, gun control, health care, poverty, or the eternal debate of sweet tea vs unsweetened tea. And calm down, since you are a former teacher, I'm not assuming anyone will put you in a headlock and force you to pee in the cup.
YES

Weston, WV

#52 Feb 24, 2013
All school employees need tested

Millington, TN

#53 Feb 24, 2013
school employee wrote:
Actually, you made my point regarding rationalations.Now here's another word you can research - Distraction. We were discussing using a drug and alcohol screening to increase the possibility of hiring and keeping a more appropiate staff. We were not discussing theology, gun control, health care, poverty, or the eternal debate of sweet tea vs unsweetened tea. And calm down, since you are a former teacher, I'm not assuming anyone will put you in a headlock and force you to pee in the cup.
WHERE IS YOUR DATA?! Where is your data supporting drug tests would result in "more appropriate staff?" Where is your data showing that this is even an issue? Where is your data addressing cost to benefit outcomes? Where is the comparative data from countries that already drug test teachers? WHERE IS THE DATA?! ANY DATA?! You're trying to promote policy based on gut beliefs and reactions rather than facts. What you are doing is the reason for every single problem we currently have in our society.

Why are Americans so dismissive of reason and fact?

You are working under the assumption that 1. There is a drug problem within the education community, and 2. that drug testing will address this "problem" and make our children safer.

FINE -- PROVE THESE STATEMENTS! I don't think you can cause your basing these ideas on that uniquely American need to hate and witch hunt rather than basing beliefs on facts (again, because you have no facts to base this nonsense on).

Seriously, what in the hell is the matter with you people?!
school employee

Philippi, WV

#54 Feb 24, 2013
Decaf!
1 post removed
YES

Weston, WV

#56 Feb 24, 2013
To many working in our school system that's hooked on pills
dick

Weston, WV

#57 Feb 25, 2013
i think they ought to test the aides and secretary subs
dick

Weston, WV

#58 Feb 25, 2013
They ought to test The Subs every time they work cause who knows what they done while they were off
Hmmm

Washington, DC

#59 Feb 25, 2013
Funny that the same people that continuously bitch and moan about everything that they perceive to be wrong with the school system and all the things they want to happen within the school system, are the same people that vote AGAINST the school levy year after year.
Cub

United States

#60 Feb 26, 2013
Let's see some names
SilentLucidity

Weston, WV

#61 Feb 26, 2013
just curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. It's a shame that you are wrong. Amoral individuals should not be put into position to influence our young. Period.
I think you need to stop and take a look at the world around you. There are far more amoral parents in this world than there should be. ANY morals that most of these children get anymore come from teachers... sure doesn't come from the parents!
just curious

United States

#62 Feb 27, 2013
SilentLucidity wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to stop and take a look at the world around you. There are far more amoral parents in this world than there should be. ANY morals that most of these children get anymore come from teachers... sure doesn't come from the parents!
Um....which proves my point.
Ellie

Weston, WV

#63 Feb 27, 2013
When do we finally draw the line on who or what gets drug tested. Pretty soon they will drug testing your grandmother and grandfather because they draw their social security benefits they paid into for years. It is getting out of hand and there is no end result from doing this--just more tax payers money being thrown away. I would rather spend my taxes on something beneficial for the teens in this county. An indoor recreation center for winter with bands getting together and playing music. We have plenty of musical talented youth in our town--something to keep they off the streets and a place for them to socialize instead of the CVS or Rite Aid Parking lots.
look im serious

Weston, WV

#64 Feb 27, 2013
I think they should test the parents as they really suk and also the tea chers and aides that act really dumb.like all of them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sharpe hospital corruption. (Dec '10) 14 min Anonymous 37
Worthless teachers at Lewis County 1 hr Vikings goddess 19
local rat arrested today 7 hr fedup 12
the dark net 7 hr fedup 2
Hot girl that use to work at shop n save (Mar '15) 8 hr fedup 10
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 8 hr Bad ass visitor 1,342
Zack Corathers 11 hr Anon 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Weston Mortgages