Letter Box

Full story: Brattleboro Reformer

I've been getting my hair cut by Mike Aldrich for years and I'd like to reassure Daryl Fisher of Silver Spring, N.M., that he has nothing to fear from Mike , who's attitude toward African Americans is simply indifferent, and I'd also like Daryl to know that when the cribbage board is out, so's the barber.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Julia

Townshend, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Re Mr Clark's letter: Well I guess he missed Mike Aldrich's statement that black people are "more racist than whites".

'nuff said.
Julia

Townshend, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Sorry, PS to my post, Mr Clark is right as far as acknowledging that people around here are much quicker to paint and wave a sign FIRST and then actually address an issue. That doesn't make me think any better of Mr. Aldrich. The notion that he lied to a man because he was "embarrassed" about being "unable to cut African American hair" is ridiculous. Any black person knows that not every barber or stylist knows how to style and cut their hair!
Susan

Springfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

if it's true that "when the cribbage board is out, so's the barber" then let the barber put a sign in his window to that effect -- so it will be clear to anyone and everyone from anywhere that the barber "is not in." such a sign would be a courtesy and help avoid controversy.

on the other hand, if a business on the Square isn't open for business, then be upfront about it and put up a Closed sign. if you run a business in Bellows Falls open to the public, then you're a business in Bellows Falls open to serve the public.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

It doesn't help that when the cribbage board is out, so is one of our on-duty police officers since he is often the one playing cribbage with Mr. Aldrich instead of doing the job he is paid to do.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Plan for a future without VY

Editor of the Reformer:

Recent news reports provide yet another reason why we Vermonters cannot trust the Entergy Nuclear Corporation to make decisions that will not endanger our very lives and livelihoods.

Earlier this year, when the aging Vermont Yankee nuclear reactor leaked radioactive tritium, cobalt, cesium and strontium, we learned that the corporation had lied, under oath, about the existence of the underground pipes that were the source of the leaks. When Entergy released the results of an "independent investigation" into those lies -- a report stating it was just a matter of miscommunication -- we learned that the law firm they hired to do the investigation regularly works for nuclear power corporations, helping them avoid public regulation.

Now we hear reports that the Entergy Corporation has hired a firm to identify potential buyers for the aging (and still leaking) reactor. VPR News contacted Entergy spokesman Michael Burns, who told them that "Entergy is always looking to maximize value for shareholders." Burns went on to say, "As any company would, we continuously look at all our operations and evaluate them, looking for ways, potential ways, to create additional value. That’s nothing new."

Entergy’s honesty about its obligation to its corporate shareholders is refreshing. What is dishonest, however, is for the corporation to be spending massive amounts on ad campaign that tries to convince us that the persons employed at the reactor "are VY." A truthful ad would show a bunch of wealthy shareholders, dressed in suits, saying "Actually, we are VY." Because the moment it becomes in their financial self-interest to close the reactor, lay off all but a handful of workers needed for their scheme to mothball the inoperative reactor for 60 years (so they don’t need to ever put any money into the decommissioning fund) and raise the risk level for all of us living in the evacuation zone, we can expect the corporation to do just that.

While we can’t trust Entergy, we can take hope in the results of this week’s election. Earlier this year, governor-elect Peter Shumlin led the process that allowed citizens’ voices and concerns were heard in the Vermont Senate, culminating in the resounding 26-4 vote to not allow VY to continue operation after its scheduled retirement in 2012. Peter’s election should be a clear signal that the decision of the Senate is final. Now it’s time for Peter and the legislature to move forward with the democratic processes needed to ensure that Entergy accepts its responsibility to adequately fund the decommissioning. If planning begins now, decommissioning can generate many jobs. And other VY employees can be assisted in making the transition to new jobs -- in Vermont or in nuclear power plants elsewhere.

S. Londonderry VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

The so-called investigation by their 'law firm' found that they knowingly gave false information b/c it was a risk o the relicensing process.

There were three counts of lying, only in one was it found they may have merely been mistaken, the other two, guilty as charged.

They maintained the lie for a a year & a half so as not to hold up the process.

Since the plant was subsequently found to have been leaking for years prior, & sinkholes were visible in 2008, they couldn't have *not* known.

The same 'investigation' found DPS/PSD, D'OH! & Entergy in collusion trashtalking the firm tasked by the legislature & results of their reliability report.

Irwin had also tried to silence Gundersen during legislative testimony re the pipes by pulling a legislator aside & making the same or similiar comments about Gundersen's statements 'bordering on hyperbole' when in fact it turns out Gundersen had it right all along.

Entergy mascot O'Brien & VT D'OH! Irwin as well as lapdog Douglas have primarily functioned as off-the-books entergy staff & primary duties have been to run interference for Entergy.

Good riddance! Please catch a ride to Louisiana when they head back & stay there. VT does not need taxpayer-funded corrupt state employees. A disgrace.

S. Londonderry VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Tuesday November 9, 2010

Barber made a mistake, but is no racist

Editor of the Reformer:

Ive been getting my hair cut by Mike Aldrich for years and Id like to reassure Daryl Fisher of Silver Spring, N.M., that he has nothing to fear from Mike (except a bad haircut like mine), whos attitude toward African Americans is simply indifferent, and Id also like Daryl to know that when the cribbage board is out, sos the barber. If Mike handled the situation poorly, then thats his embarrassment to face.

We have Dr. Fishers story as related in the Reformer, with some corroboration from Mike, whos a pretty honest man, but what strikes me is the speed with which some members of the community have rushed to render their partially informed verdict in the most publicly humiliating way possible instead of using the situation as a teachable moment with a man whos been a fixture in the Bellows Falls down town area for the last 25 years or so.

Theres a sign in the picture on the front page which says "Hate Has No Home Here." OK. what about some dialogue? The most striking thing about this newspaper photograph is the complete lack of engagement between the protestors and the perpetrator. Is this supposed to be street justice? Heaven help any member of this Gang of Twelve who should suffer an un-P.C. moment some time in the future.

I dont think that anyone here thinks that racism, bullying, harassment or socio-economic prejudice is alright. That doesnt mean that sometimes we dont backslide. How we deal with these issues constructively says a lot more about this community than a McCarthyesque show of force.

S. Londonderry VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

The aforementioned comment is patently false & blatant lie.

If he has been getting his hair cut there for years he also knows this is completely untrue.

It is untrue when the 'cribbage board is out, sos the barber'.

I just asked someone who gets his hair cut there somewhat often, if he has *ever* had to wait while Mike plays cribbage, he said no, he gets right up.

I also asked if he had *ever seen*, while he was in his shop,*anyone* who had to wait, while Mike played cribbage, he said no, he always goes right over to do the haircut.

Hopefully, few are stupid enough to believe this letter.

Also, if the 'barber was out when cribbage board was out', just how does he survive? He would not be in business very long now if this were the case now would he.

Kind of foolish to write a letter to editor where majority of the town reads Reformer, & anyone who gets haircuts there would have to know this is completely untrue.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westminster Discussions

Search the Westminster Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Putney's free walk-in clinic closes after 22 years Jul 5 Cris Ericson 2
Police Log Jul 4 If Sheeple Would Wake Up 6
Clark seeks third term as sheriff Jul 2 vern 25
Some roads in Putney to get fiber optic broadband Jul 2 Flat Lander 1
Vermont legislators hear of child protection co... Jun 20 Truth Hurts 1
Stroll Parade order of march Jun 18 Biz or not 7
Tavern Lawn series kicks off with Simba May '14 Flat Lander 1
•••
•••