Letter Box

There are 61 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Aug 6, 2010, titled Letter Box. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

I feel I must respond to the repeat letters from Harold Barnes about the informational advertising Entergy Vermont Yankee is running since I'm one of the employees featured.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
stanleystanley

Dover, NH

#1 Aug 6, 2010
To th people who are putting Shumlin signs on peoples lawns without permission. Please stop. I am voting for Dubie.
flat lander

United States

#2 Aug 6, 2010
Poor Eesha junking up that free farm to live for free and more time to protest and get arrested is mad for someone using his ways. Try hanging the sign from a tree and bring a extra rope. Twenty more years you say twenty more years of your antics and b/s. Your opinion is not a rule and your a poor example of leadership. I can understand how you must feel going to Pete for another sign and what does he charge for them. His signs fade in sunlight just like him and you moonbeams !

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#3 Aug 6, 2010
Friday August 6, 2010
Worker featured in VY ad speaks
in support of plant

Editor of the Reformer:
I feel I must respond to the repeat letters from Harold Barnes about the informational advertising Entergy Vermont Yankee is running since I’m one of the employees featured. Although I appreciate Mr. Barnes’ concern for me, I can assure you that I am nobody’s puppet and anyone who knows me can attest to that.
Contrary to his statement, this matter is very personal as it directly affects my livelihood and ability to live here.

My dad was raised on a dairy farm in Guilford, my mom is originally from Ashuelot -- I have roots here. My mom, sister, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephew and daughter all live here today, and my dad is buried in Guilford. Let me be clear -- I don’t want to leave.

Unfortunately, I will have to if the plant shuts down in 2012. What some people don’t appear to understand is that while some workers will still be required post-shutdown, the skill set for that work is very different than what is used during operations. Over the last several months, I have read wild guesses/outright lies saying that many of the VY workers would be retained after shut-down. If you believe that, you are mistaken.

My husband worked on the decommissioning projects at both Yankee Rowe and Connecticut Yankee. Non-critical operational support personnel will be the first to go. How many new IT systems do you think the plant will be putting in after we shut down? I have a Bachelor’s in Management and am half-way through my Master’s program -- I don’t need more education. I have skills I’ve spent the last 25 years building -- I don’t need retraining to do something new.

I enjoy the work I do, and I’d like to continue to do it here, among my family, but the local economy doesn’t offer commensurate work for me (yes, I’ve looked) and I don’t want to commute to/from Boston or Manchester every day. At 44, I still have many productive years in front of me. My daughter is just 8.

It will break her heart to leave, but I must be able to support my family. I would rather relocate than find myself unemployed and lose my home as a result. And if you think that’s not a real probability, then you haven’t been reading the economic news for the last year or so.

Mr. Barnes states he thinks VY employees "strive to do quality work." This is true. Not only do we strive for this, we accomplish it. Misinformation and exaggeration are weapons of our opponents. The people who work at VY take our responsibility very seriously, and there isn’t anything you, Entergy, or anyone else could do/promise or threaten that would change the integrity with which we perform our duties.

S. Londonderry VT

#4 Aug 6, 2010
Those claiming Entergy not behind the ad campaign of 'motivating' their employees to act as shills for corporate as well as their own jobs, surely must think VTers dumber than they previously thought, or they would not attempt their never ending media blitzes which suddenly appear when VY up shyte creek & VTers needed to approve VYs continued operation.

Although I do not wish to see anyone unemployed, these things happen every day. And, once again it is all about these employees, their lives and livlihoods, what they want for themselves, over 2/3 of which do not even live in the VT. It's never about us.
The brazen attempt to guilt VT after all the trouble Entergy has caused us and our state is reprehensible.

It is never about what is in the best interests of VT, our energy future and the path the legislature, utilities-both of who represent the interests of VTers, & what majority of residents want for our future. They expect our world to come to a sceeching halt, and prevent them from being inconvenienced by having to move, by continuing to operate a poorly maintained, end-of-life stage & aging faster npp.

They or anyone are owed nothing. The plant was designed for and had a predicted life span-this is nothing new and a well known fact. Going from one 6 figure job to another not what I call 'hardship'.

Plenty of ppl live in nearby states and are visit relatives. Everyone cannot expect to live w/in a stones throw from family-mine all live out of state w/the exception of one daughter. We see ea other when we can, since we are all busy not really an issue.

To selfishly expect VT to host this leaking radioctive nuclear waste dump is a bit much, given the s*itty deal offered by Entergy, and that VT will now get 5/6 of its power from other sources @ a higher price regardless if VY stays or not.

There is no benefit to VT, and nothing in the contract about decom., however I see our 'friends & neighbors' couldn't care less.
stanleystanley

Brattleboro, VT

#5 Aug 6, 2010
She says as she pounds on the keyboard and spits on her monitor.
Anywhere

New York, NY

#6 Aug 6, 2010
stanleystanley wrote:
She says as she pounds on the keyboard and spits on her monitor.
LOL!!!!!!! Right you are.
Go Forward Not Back

Somersworth, NH

#7 Aug 6, 2010
northstardust wrote:
w/the exception of one daughter.
You reproduced?

God help us.
middleground

Peabody, MA

#8 Aug 6, 2010
Stardust,
We are very intelligent folks; I am no shill for anyone. None of the VY employees are shills. It must frustrate you to think that maybe these highly educated folks are telling the truth and you dont really have anything to fight back with. If anything, it is you who are a shill for the nuclear conspiracy theorists who spread fabrications through the totally lame and dishonest press in this state. The Reformer is a highly biased anti-business publication and has been against any progressive initiatives to bring jobs into Brattleboro unless they are tied to an impossible to sustain all natural, groovy local commune deal.
You continually post untrue statements do you make them up your self? Or do you repeat them from the lies the Reformer regularly puts in news articles? In the former case, that just makes you a bold face liar, in the later case that makes you a shill. Take your pick.
It is more about our jobs; it is about the economy of this region. It is about future electric prices in Vermont. It is about Vermont showing any substantial business that it is hostile to employers and that the state is not afraid to use reactionary votes in the Senate to kick a company out.
The plant is not leaking. The trace amounts of radioactive material are far less likely to hurt any person than any of the area basements that are spewing massive amounts of radon into your homes.All natural radiation is still radiation. You are not given the relevant information by the local press because they would sell less papers to the lunatic fringe left wingnuts that are the only remaining subscribers they have.
How can you say VY has no benefit to the state when you readily admit that the replacement power will be at higher prices? The prices offered by VY for wholesale power are lower than ANY OTHER bid. The clean Hydro Quebec power rates are so high that no one has released those numbers. BTW,clean should be a relative term for Hydro Quebec since Canadian power is chock full of nuclear power. I guess imported nuclear power is OK since its not from your own state. The legislature had to enact a bogus new law to allow it to buy Canadian power and call it Green. Without this Tom foolery and smoke and mirrors, without VYs power, Vermont would quickly find itself as one of the most non-green states in the country.
Speaking of Vermonts energy future, notice there has been no new work on clean renewable energy? None, zip, nada. Despite VYs planned forty year lifespan, your bright leaders have done nothing to replace VYs power with clean energy. You know why? It is not economically feasible. If it was, private industry would be clamoring to fill the void. You choose to live in a pipe dream where magical windmills (that you never have to see because youll never want them near your house) and new dams (that arent built on any Vermont rivers of course) and new bio-fuel plants (that you wont allow anywhere near Southern Vermont) and perpetual solar banks (that generate power 24/7 regardless of clouds or night) will supply all your needs starting about 15 months from now.
Whats this nonsense about nothing in the contract about decommissioning? Interesting statement, where did you get this fact from? Whos shill are you with that one? There is not one regulatory agency in the country or state that would allow that to happen.
Be honest with yourself. Are you proud that southern Vermont has the highest percentage of people living below poverty in the state? That there are not enough jobs to go around and that almost 100% of all local kids who go to college leave the state? It is your misguided beliefs that help drive the area youth away to places they can actually afford to live. Once you take away the VY salaries, youll get a far better idea just how bad the economy is in this county.
middleground

Peabody, MA

#9 Aug 6, 2010
BTW, Northstar dust, why is it that all but one of your children live out of state? Do they find it hard to make a living here? You said a long time in these posts that you worked three jobs to eak out your living. Is that your American dream?
That is not an acceptable lifestyle for college educated folks. I'm sorry for anyone who has to do that to make ends meet. But for someone in such a state to take away decent paying careers, I can see it easy to not care about the local economy and the impact of closing VT. Hope you can keep all those jobs with the "bold new economy" you fight for. Maybe you can get a fourth to help make ends meet when VY closes. Or maybe you can get paid to hand crank a generator to help supply the Vermont grid.(Or did I just make it too "personal" for you?)

S. Londonderry VT

#10 Aug 6, 2010
Hope no one wondering why VT and region cannot wait to shutter VY.

With attitudes such as yours, we can live w/o your 'friendship'. No wonder there are employees who do not tell anyone where they work, they likely ARE our 'friends and neighbors', and probably good ppl, but because of the garbage & rotting flesh that appears to be the majority of the employees, they keep it on the down-low because of you fools. I would too.

Employees such as yourselves obviously the true face of 'our friends & neighbors'.

No friends of anyone but your selfish selves.

Who can feel sorry for a bunch of e-thugs and trolls who do nothing but vomit on these threads all day while sitting on your sorry asses 'monitoring the plant'.
hmmmmmmmmmm

Brattleboro, VT

#11 Aug 6, 2010
I NSD you like to give it but when someone responds in the same matter you use then it is unacceptable. You throw stones, but when some people throw back in the same manner then they are "garbage & rotting flesh". Love the double standard.
You want to treat us like sheet, but have issues if we treat you 1/2 as vulgar as you treat us.
Treating people with respect goes along way. My suggestion is you lead by example. Ok this is my 1 NSD post response for the month, see you in September.

S. Londonderry VT

#12 Aug 6, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmm wrote:
I NSD you like to give it but when someone responds in the same matter you use then it is unacceptable. You throw stones, but when some people throw back in the same manner then they are "garbage & rotting flesh". Love the double standard.
You want to treat us like sheet, but have issues if we treat you 1/2 as vulgar as you treat us.
Treating people with respect goes along way. My suggestion is you lead by example. Ok this is my 1 NSD post response for the month, see you in September.
Prove it or wire it please. No stones are thrown, but I see you make an appearance every once in a while to hurl a spitball and make a nasty dig or two and. You are generally ignored.

You know what you said is false, as most of your comments have been proven, which is the real reason you decline to comment. You exhibit the same disingenuousness found in the majority of the industry shills & employees.

You sulk, cry and whine like a child about 'not commenting because of NSD', however plz remember, I was not insulting to you nor anyone else, and used facts, sources & links.

I stand on my own two feet. Only cowards & candya*s crybabies blaming VTers for a decision made 40 years ago need to show up w/their friends at the plant to take out anger and frustration on those who will not be silenced.

Honest ppl do not need to be propped up, stand up for them, cheerlead, multi-alts, or sockpuppet accounts.

You and your dogpiling oh-so-brave friends, can do nothing but launch personal attacks, namecall & hurl insults. The remark you whined about was, lets face it, an accurate description of the customary creepy comments, which are the norm for the 'we're your friends and neighbors' & 'We Are VT Yankee's'.

With attitudes like that, I certainly would not admit where I worked. Thank God for your anonymity, or that neighbor would know just what creeps lived nearby, and that you are no ones friends.

S. Londonderry VT

#13 Aug 6, 2010
middleground wrote:
BTW, Northstar dust, why is it that all but one of your children live out of state? Do they find it hard to make a living here? You said a long time in these posts that you worked three jobs to eak out your living. Is that your American dream?
That is not an acceptable lifestyle for college educated folks. I'm sorry for anyone who has to do that to make ends meet. But for someone in such a state to take away decent paying careers, I can see it easy to not care about the local economy and the impact of closing VT. Hope you can keep all those jobs with the "bold new economy" you fight for. Maybe you can get a fourth to help make ends meet when VY closes. Or maybe you can get paid to hand crank a generator to help supply the Vermont grid.(Or did I just make it too "personal" for you?)
Economy had nothing to do w/children who live out of state, although I see you were quick to jump on another chance to dis VT and VTers you display such hatred for.

Just another person mad at VT because you cannot force your arrogant will upon those who live here and make up our mind for us, to benefit a small group of VTers & over 2/3 of those who live in other states, many of who would stay if it were closed. All to benefit those who care about themselves only, & what VT can do for you.

I did not say I worked three jobs, nor is the quote 'brave new economy' mine, you said it I did not.

I have college & tech training as well, what I do & the reasons are my own, as are yours and everyone else.

You are owed nothing, however, so full of yourself you think you are, and accuse VT of 'taking away decent paying careers', when it was always scheduled to close 2012.

But that is not what this is about, and your attitude part of why I for one cannot wait for yall to leave, and I am not alone.

You work for a well-known dishonest company who has allowed the plant to go to hell, since 04 it has been one mishap after another while they lie, and you all shrug and hide behind complicit NRC.

Giving VT a crappy power deal and selling the rest to the grid pretty stupid, I see like all of the other selfish I-me-mines you never mention that. In the end we will pay much more than if we moved on now, but what the hell do you care, you don't even live here nor do the majority who work there.
CCC

Dover, NH

#14 Aug 6, 2010
NSD: Let's see in the last two posts you said the following about VY employees:
"garbage & rotting flesh that appears to be the majority of the employees, they keep it on the down-low because of you fools. I would too. "
"Who can feel sorry for a bunch of e-thugs and trolls " "You and your dogpiling oh-so-brave friends,""or that neighbor would know just what creeps lived nearby, and that you are no ones friends. "
Now, I could be wrong but that seems like name calling to me. So, quit acting like you are so innocent and everyone is picking on poor you. If you want to be an anti-VY shrill and troll, at least have the guts to admit it. And if I was your child, I'd live out of state too (probably Alaska or California)
flat lander

United States

#15 Aug 6, 2010
NO STUPID DUST why do your kind need to live near a plant if so dangerous to you. You already have some damage to the brain as it shows in the blog. take 2 aspirin and drop in the morning or move to Disney dreamer.

S. Londonderry VT

#16 Aug 6, 2010
middleground wrote:
We are very intelligent folks; I am no shill for anyone. None of the VY employees are shills. It must frustrate you to think that maybe these highly educated folks are telling the truth and you dont really have anything to fight back with. If anything, it is you who are a shill for the nuclear conspiracy theorists who spread fabrications through the totally lame and dishonest press in this state. The Reformer is a highly biased anti-business publication and has been against any progressive initiatives to bring jobs into Brattleboro unless they are tied to an impossible to sustain all natural, groovy local commune deal.
You continually post untrue statements do you make them up your self? Or do you repeat them from the lies the Reformer regularly puts in news articles? In the former case, that just makes you a bold face liar, in the later case that makes you a shill. Take your pick.

Uh, you look in the mirror & take your pick.
Main Entry: 1shill
Pronunciation:\ˈshil\
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: 2shill
Date: circa 1914
1 : to act as a shill
2 : to act as a spokesperson or promoter <the eminent Shakespearean produceris now shilling for a brokerage house Andy Rooney>

"A person engaged in covert advertising. The shill attempts to spread buzz by personally endorsing the product in public forums with the pretense of sincerity, when in fact he is being paid for his services."-Urban Dictionary

Liar? Again, look in the mirror. I see you cannot find anything truthful to say, and merely hurl insults and rant on about those who brought Entergy to daylight, because you have nothing else.

Do you make up the lies and crude comments yourself, or spoonfed VY talking points.

Oh please, of course you are all shills. The never ending media blitzes, the oh-so-familiar talking points recited on cue, full-page newspaper ads (which were pulled by VT AG for false information). Ha ha.

H-Q heavily nuclear? They have one plant, its output about VYs. Another lie. And, VT already gets as much from H-Q as VY, and I do not think they are asking for more.

VELCO wants a separate contract in case of higher than expected usage, so no, we will not freeze in the darks as the VY trolls and e-thugs claim.

How can I say VY will not benefit VT? It is not me saying it, I am agreeing w/those who clued us all in, and I can read. As you very well know, it is all utilities, legislature & committees, and majority of VTers. Because it is true, maybe? Take the blinders off please.

Everyone but VY & Entergy agrees VT getting a rotten deal? Wake the hell up, please.

VY cut in half what they will sell VT, we will now have to make up that portion @ a higher cost.

Raised the price by 50%. Added yearly incremental increases which are actually taxes & compounded adjustable interest.

The RSA was cut in half from $1 billion to $500 million.

In the end, VT will pay more than we will if we walk.

When your point-man made his 'fire sale' offer-you could have heard a pin drop.

Entergy, VY and employees live high off the hog b/c of VT, and there is no benefit to VT.

And to someone who calls a spade a spade, you hurl insults and blame me? You ppl need to wake up & smell the coffee. Look in the mirror again-college educated & completely clueless.

There is no mention of the decom fund,$380 million of which was transferred to VY by previous owners. Where is that, and how much interest would that alone have earned if in CDs for 8 years?
I Know More Than You

Merrimack, NH

#17 Aug 6, 2010
Lies Northstaridiot has repeated over and over ever after being proved false.

1. Only 25% employees live in VT
2. VY employees who wisely live in others states don't pay VT income tax
3. P. Blanch is a nuclear engineer
4. Drinking tritiated water = smoking 3-4 packs/day
5. What is ionizing radiation
6. Tritium is not naturally occurring
7. Everyone at VY makes > $100,000

Those are just ones off the top of my head, there are literally dozens more as she is a habitual liar.

Even her e-boyfriend Eric has left her, much like like her previous husbands.
stanleystanley

Dover, NH

#18 Aug 6, 2010
Spitting and pounding. Hope that there is no stroke coming.

S. Londonderry VT

#19 Aug 6, 2010
I Know More Than You wrote:
Lies Northstaridiot has repeated over and over ever after being proved false.
1. Only 25% employees live in VT
2. VY employees who wisely live in others states don't pay VT income tax
3. P. Blanch is a nuclear engineer
4. Drinking tritiated water = smoking 3-4 packs/day
5. What is ionizing radiation
6. Tritium is not naturally occurring
7. Everyone at VY makes > $100,000
Those are just ones off the top of my head, there are literally dozens more as she is a habitual liar.
Even her e-boyfriend Eric has left her, much like like her previous husbands.
I see the 'queen' of the multi-alt trolls is back from the rubber room. You forgot to take your meds again!
I Know More Than You

Merrimack, NH

#20 Aug 6, 2010
northstardust wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the 'queen' of the multi-alt trolls is back from the rubber room. You forgot to take your meds again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FMEe7JqBgvgXX
Once again, when confronted with the facts, she resorts to name-calling and lame attempts to divert attention from her lies and rants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westminster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police Log (Jan '09) Jul 20 Truth Friend in P... 81
News UHSD 27 budget to go up less than 1 percent des... Mar '15 Andrew Andrews 1
News Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
Slaughter house (Apr '14) Apr '14 Flat Lander 3
News Dummerston looking into solar power (May '13) Jan '14 Mike Mulligan 123
News A hot Primary (Aug '10) Jun '13 Larry 11
News Westminster man held without bail (Dec '10) Apr '13 wendy 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westminster Mortgages