Only two residents attend meeting on proposed override - Sentin...

School district officials said they want locals to understand the importance of an upcoming Proposition 2 1/2 override vote, but there were as many presenters at Tuesday's public forum -- two -- as locals in the audience. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
concerned taxpayer

Framingham, MA

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Every year there is a request for an overide, enough is enough. This is not a way to ballance a budget. It sounds like this time may be ligit, but its like the boy who cried wolf. Just say no!!!!!
ashburnham resident

Westminster, MA

#3 Jun 3, 2009
As a busy mother of 3 including an incoming kindergartener.. I don't get the newspaper and the school has not sent me anything to let me know that there may be any cuts made to the school- or what kind of cuts would be made or that there would be any sort of forums... you would think that if they were so concerned they might want to reach out to their incoming K class.. I heard through the grapevine that kindergarten may get cut back to half day..... Believe me now when I say that I will be trying to get to the next "forum" and going to vote on this
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Jun 3, 2009
We need a new super he is not all there, He does not understand no!
I expect to see LAYOFFS like never before I refuse to pay for the schoools pewriod.
I am sick of these sponges GROWUP and bite the bullet like others.
Zapantis should be ashamed of himself always BEGGING for more.
If people want more send thier kids to a private school!
Bill

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Jun 3, 2009
Time to say no and get a new school system
No non-sense Eddie

Moonachie, NJ

#6 Jun 3, 2009
Maybe the voters have already made up their mind and are fed-up with exploding property taxes and falling home prices. I'm assessed at nearly 100K above what I could ever hope to sell the house for. I'm voting no and I don't need to attend any meeting to make up my mind.
O-So-Lo-Mio

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jun 3, 2009
ashburnham resident wrote:
As a busy mother of 3 including an incoming kindergartener.. I don't get the newspaper and the school has not sent me anything to let me know that there may be any cuts made to the school- or what kind of cuts would be made or that there would be any sort of forums... you would think that if they were so concerned they might want to reach out to their incoming K class.. I heard through the grapevine that kindergarten may get cut back to half day..... Believe me now when I say that I will be trying to get to the next "forum" and going to vote on this
guess what mother of 3...move out now. you will not have any public education in Ashburnham or Westminster. Do you want your kids to grow up with third class education? If you do, stay...but if you do not....move.
Ashburnham Resident

Worcester, MA

#8 Jun 3, 2009
I think our town residents are tired of the meetings and the overrides. I have voted YES for all of them so far but I think this time will have to be a NO. We need to make due with what we have.

On a side note. How do you lay off 10.3 people? Who is the .3?
Poppycock

Worcester, MA

#9 Jun 3, 2009
I was actually available last night, but forgot. I am still a no vote.

As for the schools sending out information about this over ride, as I recall there are some rather strict limitations on what the schools can send home being as it is on taspayer funded paper (not that this has stopped many a school district in the past.)

I loathe the idea of laying people off. I have been through this myself, and I suspect a lot of the folks the schools and towns (around the state) are pushing to get more money from have been this time around as well, you can't get blood from a stone. Or so the old addage goes anyway.

And Eddie, your taxes are based upon a tax value from over a year ago, before your property took a bath with the downturn in the economy. So your value may go down in a year or so. May.

That being said, the home values in New England have been over valued, over priced, and over taxed for years. A major contributing factor to my immense desire to get out of Massachusetts. Lots of others have reached the same conclusion too.
Do It For The Children

Fitchburg, MA

#10 Jun 3, 2009
Can we just close the senior center and use that money for the schools? How about plowing the streets for alternating storms? Can we get by with fewer police. Frankly I've had it with the Gestapo style speed enforcement. How about abolishing selectmen salaries? And who needs a library anyway? They have them in the schools! Just think of the money Ashburnham could save, not to mention the teacher jobs, with full salary that could be saved as well. Hey, about another performance bonus for the superintendent, something more than the paltry $15,000 he got last year from those tightwads on the school committee.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Jun 3, 2009
No need for a presentation, Ashburnham residents have a history of voting for increased taxes and overrides, so no worry, just prepare to pay more
Poppycock

Worcester, MA

#12 Jun 3, 2009
Ashburnham Resident wrote:
On a side note. How do you lay off 10.3 people? Who is the .3?
Either someone's salary or hours or hours are directly cut.

Don't bet on it coming from Zapantis though. Get rid of all the freaking administrators in a school district and you can actually put people IN THE CLASSROOMS where they belong.
Helen Keller

Boston, MA

#13 Jun 3, 2009
I used to vote YES for all of the school overrides, but until the voters of Ash/West agree to support other sources of revenue and become more friendly to growth and new development, I will vote NO.

The residential property owners can't carry the entire load anymore!
uck

Boston, MA

#14 Jun 3, 2009
Perhaps the school district should get audited. Therefore town residents can see where the money has gone over the past few years. And by doing an audit, the towns can get advice on how the money should last longer and practice more efficient spending.

The school district shouldn't have to have an override every single year. Perhaps something "fishy" is going on with spending... Hence why an audit may be a good idea.
jay

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Jun 3, 2009
JUST VOTE NO!
No non-sense Eddie

Moonachie, NJ

#16 Jun 3, 2009
Helen Keller wrote:
The residential property owners can't carry the entire load anymore!
Ash-West is built on a foundation that requires residential property owners to foot the nearly the entire bill. It won't change even when (many years from now) a new tenant occupies the old Digital/Simplex site. Voting NO on overides is really the only way one can say 'enough is enough'!
Westminster Taxpayer

Webster, MA

#18 Jun 3, 2009
uck wrote:
Perhaps the school district should get audited. Therefore town residents can see where the money has gone over the past few years. And by doing an audit, the towns can get advice on how the money should last longer and practice more efficient spending.
The school district shouldn't have to have an override every single year. Perhaps something "fishy" is going on with spending... Hence why an audit may be a good idea.
The Schools are audited, on an annual basis (I watch for this every year, my line of work, and the Ash-West district has done very well). I used to live a lot closer to Boston and to see all the complaining all of you are doing is ridiculous. Where I lived, Metrowest, the school budget was almost 70% of the Town's budget. Here in Ash-West it isn't even 50%, so you are complaining about overrides because the cost of education is triple the 2.5% they get from the Towns each year. Other places don't go for as many overrides because the school budget is 10-15% more of the Town's budget than it is here. I will vote for the overrides even though I don't have kids in the schools because I know the value of an educated workforce.
George

Fitchburg, MA

#19 Jun 3, 2009
Well if you want a great education go to a private school i have no kids never did and im deducting the school part out of my taxes period.
ASH RES

Pepperell, MA

#20 Jun 3, 2009
I don't see any other town asking for overides every year. Perhaps an audit would be a good idea.
My taxes have almost doubled in the last ten years and I have never had kids in the school system.
NO! is my choice. I just can not afford any more taxes! I need to have my money for heat and food!
Westminster Res

Rockport, MA

#21 Jun 3, 2009
They may ASK for overrides often, but they don't GET overrides often. They haven't gotten an override since fy2005. If they needed an override last year, and their funding gets cut this year obviously this year they are going to need an override.
Other towns don't need overrides so often because the towns give them increases within the town budget above the 2.5% instead of putting the increases out to an override vote.
resident

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Jun 3, 2009
dont expect the taxcpayers to pay anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westminster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New police chief announcement 16 min Fitchburg 1
Ebola cure 2 hr Jtn 1
same old same old .... 12 hr Tammy from concord 2
Will Jtn ever post an Intelligent comment in th... Thu Tammy from concord 31
Has Jtn taken over and ruined Topix Thu Tammy from concord 13
Jtn please get off topix Thu Rihanna 8
Should Jtn run for Governor of Massachusetts? Wed Jtn 3
•••

Westminster News Video

•••