Group wants to ban biking in park - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

The mountain-biking controversy at Crocker Pond took another turn this week, with an environmental group decrying the impact biking would bring to the recreation area.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 37 of37
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
huh

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Luther Manning wrote:
Curious, what Good things has WEST done for the area ?
They fought that huge 40B project out on east rd. It now luckily seems to be a victim of the slow economy because they were delayed. WEST is one of the few groups that show up at Planning Board, ZBA, and Conservation Commission meetings. At least someone is paying attention.
Biker

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

huh wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think it is the actual mountain biking that would raise the water temp, but the clearing that would have to be done. which would allow more light an run-off to occur.
Funny then how 'west' has no problem with 'hiking trails' across the same streams. And it seems to me that the big sand pits and industrial park getting built a few hundred yards upstream would be more of a problem than a 2 foot wide bridge. Gordon's been on a personal mission to keep bikes out since day one and said as much on record. What a bunch of BS.
Biker

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

huh wrote:
<quoted text>
How does 1 person on a board that isn't even one of the co-chairs manage to rewrite the rules without anyone noticing?
The local ridrs noticed. Twice the rules "somehow" got changed and twice it had to be brought to the attention of the selectmen, who twice have backed them up.
Biker

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Also the statment saying this issue started when someone "saw bikers cruising through trials designated for hikers only." is BS. The bikers use trails they built themselves, shortly after the first time the selectman shot down an underhanded attempt to change the rules and ban them. Bikes have been allowed on the property since day one, and biking has ALWAYS been an intended use. The bikers were the ones to raise this whole issue to the selectmen and the Crocker committee, not the other way around.
A Very Proud American

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Positively stupid! Since when do the "rights" of fish supersede those of human beings? Idiotic, at best....it's fish, sheesh!! And the last time I looked it was People who paid taxes etc - not some fish!!!What's next? Not allowing children in public parks because their laughter might harm some cricket or bird? No swings allowed it will disturb the air currents that are vital to flies and insects.... preposterous, you say? Won't be long now - wait and see.
Outsider looking in

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

I can appreciate organizations like WEST, but this is really going over the top.

We all appreciate people who volunteer, especially when it makes the town you live in a better place. It's obvious the bikers are showing good intent.

It's a shame they have to fight for their tax paying right to enjoy the recreation area.
AAA

Athol, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Otis wrote:
I would like to ban all biking from the road. Also all heavy trucks or anything over two ton. Any vehicle who don,t have a license must be fined and taking off the road.We must start to enforce all laws to this affect. I pay to use the road and should be able to remove all who don,t. Some fools will let anyone on the road.
I pay to use the road to, and when I'm not driving my car I WILL RIDE MY BIKE, Otis maybe you should go stagger back to your still in the woods just don't get hit by a truck on the way
Another resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

huh wrote:
<quoted text>
They fought that huge 40B project out on east rd. It now luckily seems to be a victim of the slow economy because they were delayed. WEST is one of the few groups that show up at Planning Board, ZBA, and Conservation Commission meetings. At least someone is paying attention.
Every town has professional meeting goers. They could probably convince a few followers how bikes are endangering the acorn population too (full of pictures I bet).
We are not talking about bulldozers, skitters, or trains here. We are talking about bicycles…you know, the ones with two wheels you pedal in your spare time while enjoying the fresh air. Maybe WEST should write a letter to the town requesting for the closure of South Ashburnham Rd while they're at it...it goes over way too many streams. All the Ashburnham commuters are killing our fish!

Yes WEST may pay attention, but in this case it's a crock.
themadfisherman

Winchester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Looks like I found a new fishing spot. Hopefully my bike will get me to some good spots.
CaughtOnTape

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Careful - only town residents who agree with WEST are allowed in the woods. They might be out there again lurking in the woods and taking pictures of you 'exploiting' the forest.
Another resident

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Another resident wrote:
Mr Brownell: Conflict of interest?!
He just resigned from the Crocker pond committee.
Westminster Senior

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

The Brownells are radicals with nothing else to do with their lives.
Fizbo

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Put up a gate and have somebody there to check id's,
that will fix things....

FP
stupid

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Bicycles are the devil. The way you people post I would swear you support exercise. My child may be 7 years old and weigh 230 lbs. but I bet she can eat more cake than any of you! And she is fluent in spanish and engish so there!
Please

Hudson Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2010

Fizbo wrote:
Put up a gate and have somebody there to check id's,
that will fix things....
FP
Good idea. But you would really need to post guards around the perimeter of the park to be effective. I figure 3 sentries, 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, year round. They could probably catch and scold at least 30 out of towners a year for daring to tread on hallowed Westminster ground. And if we paid them minimum wage, it would only cost $135,780 a year. A small price to pay to appease the eco-nazis.

Or, people can just keep doing what they've done for years without issues and let WEST go off and be pissed off about it, which seems to be their natural state anyway.
Another resident

Lexington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2010

Leave guards and gates for the local prison. This "keep out" talk is so MASSHOLE pathetic.
Frank Castle

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2012

The Brownell's are the worst people to ever live in this town. Not too much goes on around here. And for the most part people are friendly, down to earth and understanding. But THEY seem to get one hell of a kick out of being in the spotlight for causing misery for others. They come under the mask of helping the environment. But are blind to the fact that most of us are on their side. People who enjoy outdoor sports, recreation, hunting and fishing are out there doing these things out of love for nature. But to the Brownells, these things are evil. The Native Americans are a great example for respecting nature. They fished, hunted, had recreation and games outdoors, even slashed and burned some vegitation and trees to help clear out weeds, fertilize and add sunlight for crops. The Brownells need to pull their heads outta their asses and stop making EVERYTHING in town a damn circus!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 37 of37
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Westminster News Video

•••
•••

Westminster Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Westminster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••