Wong to propose quarterly trash fee f...

Wong to propose quarterly trash fee for Fitchburg - Sentinel & Ente...

There are 57 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from May 5, 2010, titled Wong to propose quarterly trash fee for Fitchburg - Sentinel & Ente.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Mayor Lisa Wong will propose a quarterly trash fee for all Fitchburg households at a Finance Committee meeting next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fitchburg

Stoneham, MA

#1 May 5, 2010
No trash fee which is a (TAX)
We already pay for all services through our property taxes. This is a way to get aroung prop 2.5
marie

Billerica, MA

#2 May 5, 2010
"We've signed these assurances for years and years and years." Conry said.

Perhap one of the reasons we are in the financial state we are is because we continue to make the same mistakes over and over....just because something worked in the past does not mean it is appropriate now.
Fitchburg Trashed

Gardner, MA

#3 May 5, 2010
The city owns the landfill. Waste Management is hauling trash from all around the state into the landfill and making a huge profit. Wong needs to squeeze Waste Management and leave the tax paying residents alone..
Shaking my head

Great Barrington, MA

#4 May 5, 2010
Fitchburg Trashed wrote:
The city owns the landfill. Waste Management is hauling trash from all around the state into the landfill and making a huge profit. Wong needs to squeeze Waste Management and leave the tax paying residents alone..
You've got that right!!! What is it with her and this double taxation crap? When is she going to smarten up?!?! She's determined to have the tax paying homeowners of Fitchburg pay for trash removal for deadbeat slum lords. She wants to impose an additional trash tax to bring in more money, so she can hire more people to enforce the "fee", which we all know is an additioanl TAX. Airport Road already looks like the city dump. If she ever manages to strong arm this through, trash will be dumped all over the city.
Oscar the grouch

Fitchburg, MA

#5 May 5, 2010
There is one simple way to get around this trash fee: RECYCLE everything you can and COMPOST food waste (It's free). Lots of people are doing it. Really.
David Reinhart

Babson Park, MA

#6 May 5, 2010
marie wrote:
"We've signed these assurances for years and years and years." Conry said.
Perhap one of the reasons we are in the financial state we are is because we continue to make the same mistakes over and over....just because something worked in the past does not mean it is appropriate now.
The airport is not responsible for any of the city's financial woes. The airport is self supporting. It actually puts money into the city coffers from property taxes on privately built hangars and fees the airport pays to the city for "support services".

If the mayor does not sign assurances for new grants, the airport will not be able to maintain itself, will be unable to provide services to its tenants and transient customers and will start losing money. The city is still on the hook to operate the airport, so at that point it *will* have to start putting money into the airport. That is not a good scenario for anybody.
Marie in the Burg

Great Barrington, MA

#7 May 5, 2010
Oscar the grouch wrote:
There is one simple way to get around this trash fee: RECYCLE everything you can and COMPOST food waste (It's free). Lots of people are doing it. Really.
There lies the problem. I have been doing exactly that for years, and generally have one small bag of trash every other week. Now our illustrious mayor wants to charge me, and everyone else who actually pays their taxes, a quarterly trash "fee" for those who don't reduce waste. I would bet the people who generate the most trash, don't pay property taxes, and they certainly do not recycle. One of my neighbors doesn't leave trash at the curb... he takes his own to the dump. Is he going to have to pay this new "fee" too? There is no fair way to impose this new tax.
Burg

Malden, MA

#10 May 5, 2010
The Burg is full of trash and needs to be cleaned up.
Joe

Gardner, MA

#11 May 5, 2010
There's going to have to be movement from one party or the other," Wong said.
Let's see, what side do you think is expected to move, I'm guessing it's not the mayor.
While turning down money at the airport the mayor is damned to go ahead and build her river front access, which in the long run is going to cost the city money it doesn't have to maintain and repair. She can't keep the lights on, the library open, fully fund the senior center, fix the roads, tear down derelict buildings, and has givebacks from the city employees. Cancel the foolish park, the taxpayers can't afford it.
Taxpayer - Fitchburg

Ayer, MA

#13 May 5, 2010
Fitchburg wrote:
No trash fee which is a (TAX)
We already pay for all services through our property taxes. This is a way to get aroung prop 2.5
I pay property taxes, I pay excise taxes for two cars, I pay for my registration, my license, I pay utilities, I pay, through my condo fee, trash fee. Now I have to pay for more to live in this city and for what? To drive through dark streets at night, to drive over potholes so big that I had to have my car repaired, to pay for the most expensive utilities fees I have ever experienced. As much as I hate to admit it I regret moving to Fitchburg. Please help me understand…… I like to know what Fitchburg does with the taxes that they collect from its constituents.
CONCERNED RESIDENT

AOL

#14 May 5, 2010
Taxpayer - Fitchburg wrote:
<quoted text>
I pay property taxes, I pay excise taxes for two cars, I pay for my registration, my license, I pay utilities, I pay, through my condo fee, trash fee. Now I have to pay for more to live in this city and for what? To drive through dark streets at night, to drive over potholes so big that I had to have my car repaired, to pay for the most expensive utilities fees I have ever experienced. As much as I hate to admit it I regret moving to Fitchburg. Please help me understand…… I like to know what Fitchburg does with the taxes that they collect from its constituents.
I do all the same as you but 3 excise tax and i see the abuse done to our city by people that don't care ... out of town landlords !, tenants ... Please anyone who is concerned about our city you need to voice yourself to your ward councilor and the councilors at large plus the mayor they all need to know ! As we are the ones that vote them in and keep them in .... there are those that will reply with sincere and those that won't ! OH and talking about DARK streets , gee that helps the people who do their business better ! between midnight and 5 am not normal visiting hours !
David Reinhart

Babson Park, MA

#15 May 5, 2010
Joe wrote:
There's going to have to be movement from one party or the other," Wong said.
Let's see, what side do you think is expected to move, I'm guessing it's not the mayor.
While turning down money at the airport the mayor is damned to go ahead and build her river front access, which in the long run is going to cost the city money it doesn't have to maintain and repair. She can't keep the lights on, the library open, fully fund the senior center, fix the roads, tear down derelict buildings, and has givebacks from the city employees. Cancel the foolish park, the taxpayers can't afford it.
The airport has been there since 1927. I don't think the mayor will be around that long...
sonny

Fitchburg, MA

#17 May 6, 2010
Burg wrote:
The Burg is full of trash and needs to be cleaned up.
Do you really believe money from the trash fee will be use to clean up the trash in the city?????????

Barre, MA

#18 May 6, 2010
i hope she has money in her budget to pay overtime for all the dpw guys that will be cleaning up the trash that is thrown all over the city.Good luck with this one!
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#19 May 6, 2010
It's another tax, continue to make the necessary cuts and adjustments to live within your budget. Do not follow the insane lead of other communities by continuing to spend and then increasing taxes and fees.

Too much money has disappeared for years from the Airport, it's no wonder there is concern.
sonny

Fitchburg, MA

#20 May 6, 2010
JIm wrote:
It's another tax, continue to make the necessary cuts and adjustments to live within your budget. Do not follow the insane lead of other communities by continuing to spend and then increasing taxes and fees.
Too much money has disappeared for years from the Airport, it's no wonder there is concern.
She sould tax the unions, they are main cause we as a City are broke
Bill

North Billerica, MA

#21 May 6, 2010
You people need to stop complaining about you have to pay this and that. Give me a break. There is a simple solution to your problems. Become an illegal immigrant. Lose all your paperwork and become undocumented. You'll see all the benefits you'd get. No more taxes. Everything is free. Woohoo!
David Reinhart

United States

#22 May 6, 2010
JIm wrote:
If you have any specific accusations concerning the current manager and commission, make them. The last manager was fired over possible embezzlement but that was years ago and unfortunately there was insufficient evidence to make any charges stick. Put up or shut up. Accusing people of a crime behind an alias is just plain cowardly.
David Reinhart

United States

#23 May 6, 2010
JIm wrote:
Oh, and the airport recently passed an FAA audit. The city was found not to be in compliance with grant assurances, including possible illegal transfers of airport land, but the current airport management came out OK.
Burg

Lawrence, MA

#24 May 6, 2010
The whole city sould be turned into a giant landfill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westminster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fitchburg Mayor DiNatale may have met his match... 2 hr JUnior 8
News Fitchburg patrols send message: Downtown's safe 4 hr Blah blah 1
News Single-lane opponents to make their case 6 hr Dumb dumb dumber 1
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... Jun 29 Golf club 3
News City kicks off annual Civic Days at Riverfront ... Jun 29 Golf club 2
News Vacant home on Rollstone Road in Fitchburg dama... Jun 29 Voters love LYNCH 1
Just Another Tuesday Jun 28 Cedar Street momm... 10

Westminster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westminster Mortgages