A list of Macy's store closings

A list of Macy's store closings

There are 80 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jan 8, 2009, titled A list of Macy's store closings. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Department-store operator Macy's Inc. is closing 11 underperforming stores in nine states.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CCM

Commerce, GA

#2 Jan 8, 2009
Crazy times. So sad for everyone.
Anynomous

Shrewsbury, NJ

#3 Jan 8, 2009
I worked in Macy's Clearance Center and the regular one in Cherry Hill in NJ. I inhaled propane in the clearance center, Have I had my deveated syptem operation I got lime plast in my eyes and my right eye turned red and they wouldn't do anything about the red eye they had the nereve to lay me off after I came back from being sick. You need to close the regular one. The clearance center is closed. They also let customers return dirty underwear and bathing suits.
The incidents are recored in my files at my allergists office.I also hear from workers on livingston street in Brooklyn mcomplained about returning unwear andbathsuits.
christine

Davao, Philippines

#4 Jan 8, 2009
My God! Shocking story....many people lost their jobs.
I hop and i pray that God will help America.
Lady

United States

#5 Jan 8, 2009
You've had a good run. You've been a really nice store. It's happening to Many co's. Maybe you can come back later and be even better as a different store. :-D
Protected by Glock

Portsmouth, VA

#6 Jan 8, 2009
In this day and age you must perform well to survive.
Richard

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Jan 8, 2009
any Dallas, Tx?
shirley

Modesto, CA

#8 Jan 8, 2009
macys is a great store. I love it, hope modesto ca will remain open?
shirley

Modesto, CA

#9 Jan 8, 2009
macys is a great store. i hope Modesto Ca.will remain open?
Protected by Glock

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Jan 8, 2009
shirley wrote:
macys is a great store. i hope Modesto Ca.will remain open?
Great store, maybe for you, but not me. More like an over priced store, I never shop in.

Over priced = Great store?
PAPA JOHN

Buffalo, NY

#11 Jan 8, 2009
I think that all the stores that are closing, is a very small scale/percent of the Macy co. Stores sometime out grow there location, and the population in, and around the stores ,well people are moving out to the suburbs, etc. The store in west palm beach, there is a Macy store down some 15 minutes down the road, that is much bigger, more storee around it , and more to offer the general public. By down sizing the store market, loosings up more corporate funds to build, and improve the stores that are boming, and need the capital to keep up with the new trend of shoppers, and product lines. So, all is not that bad when you take in all of my views, and the closing of the few stores on a national bases, is a mere drop in the bucket, for what it will allow macy to improve there sales base ,and move on. Thanks for listening, PAPA JOHN
leah

Richmond, KY

#12 Jan 8, 2009
macys is over rated and their prices are outrageous you can get some of the same things, other places, for half the price! but when macy's is going down you KNOW the ecomony's in trouble.

“This isn't me either”

Since: Oct 08

Beach, USA

#13 Jan 8, 2009
Macy's recently (last few years) bought most of their competition. They bought all the Robinsons- May company stores. They changed most of them to Macy's, except (I think) for a few Lord and Taylors. They even changed Marshall Field's, a Chicago institution. Owning the stores, is one thing, changing flagship stores with a loyal customer base is something else. I expect more stores will be closing.
Patrice Washington

Memphis, TN

#14 Jan 8, 2009
A lot of the stores that we loved so much are closing this is a sign from God that we need to spend more time in the word. There are stores and the economy that is going down the line. If you read the bible a lot, what we are going threw is in the word. It is time to pray and safe are souls from damnation. God is real and it is showing up every day in our economy. All I can say is it is praying time. The lord stills here you.
Maria La

Corona, CA

#15 Jan 8, 2009
I think the economy is really bad, a lot of stores are closing. People had lost their jobs and it is not the same to be spending their money in the stores when you don't have a permanent job. I am very sorry they have to close to many stores, specially Macy's because it is a good store and I like it.
clueless to our country

United States

#16 Jan 8, 2009
what is it all coming to! oh lets get send the erst of what jobs we have over seas and let those people keep coming to are states just to keep taking from us!!!!! wake up america and stand o your feet!!!!
Werchapin

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2009
Too bad that aren't any stores closing in Chicago and nearest suburbs....LOL.... I was thinking of buying all the clearance section ....
Werner.
Werchapin

United States

#18 Jan 8, 2009
Well also they (macys) have purchased Marshall Field's a chain of stores in the state of IL... Field's it was quite of expesive meantime Macy's became cheaper still... couldn't survive with this disgrace economy.

What about IKEA...are they also closing their stores!? I hope not...lots of fun in such stores more o less than purchasing by catalog or internet...I LOVE IKEA.
Werner
camellia

Baytown, TX

#20 Jan 8, 2009
Don't forget the one in Houston TX Northwest Mall. It closed down two or three months ago.
Anthony

Ocala, FL

#21 Jan 8, 2009
I think it's hilarious that these stores are facing financial havoc. For many years they have continued to over price their merchandise and screw the general public out of billions of dollars. It's time these retail giants face what we have been facing for a few years now. Goodbye Macy's.....
Wilmer Arroyo

United States

#22 Jan 8, 2009
I was real saddened to hear the closings pf some of Macy's sore around the country. My wife and I are regular customers of Macy's especially my wife. We compare prices from other stores and even from the web and most of the timee we end up buying in Macy's. Luckily for us the Macy's located in Oviedo, Florida is not one that is closing. I hope not anyway. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westminster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 17 min The Troll Stopper 58,477
Islamic Cake Bakery Call 7 hr Larry the Cable Guy 2
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) 8 hr Chi 325
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 17 hr tbird19482 30,204
News Denver's Brik on York and DJ's Cafe have closed 17 hr factcheck 1
News Rep. Buck Wants To STOP Settlement Of Sexual Mi... Wed surfeagle 1
Clear Lake Jr High Wed Schmedley T Troll 1

Westminster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westminster Mortgages