W-W district, teachers at odds over n...

W-W district, teachers at odds over new contract

There are 8 comments on the Hometown Life story from Sep 30, 2008, titled W-W district, teachers at odds over new contract. In it, Hometown Life reports that:

A potential strike by Wayne-Westland teachers still looms amid an impasse in contract talks between bargaining teams representing the 850-member union and school district officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hometown Life.

Karen Lane

AOL

#1 Oct 6, 2008
Be glad you have a job in this economy! Don't Strike!
Karen Lane

AOL

#2 Oct 6, 2008
I'm sorry, but I have to express my thoughts about your strike. When I was in Turner Elementary School back in the 1950's we had up to 41 students in our class. Mrs. Van Buren taught 3A, 4B and 4A. In this economy and 1,000's loosing their jobs I hope you can count your blessings that you're able to teach. Where do you think the extra money will come from to hire more teachers? Be glad you have a job and quite being like spoiled little children! I'm most sure you do not know the meaning of really rough.

Since: Apr 08

Northville, MI

#3 Oct 6, 2008
I can understand the teacher striking (even though I thought it was illegal). Teaching now a days is different than teach 50-60 years ago. You cannot give a child a whack with a paddle. You have to deal with kids that have ADS, peanut butter allergies, gangs drug, parents that don’t care. Teachers/Schools are sued if they try to discipline a kid today. Look at Belleville schools last year. They expelled four kids for gang and drug activities. The parents dragged it to the media and the courts. Threaten a multi-million dollar law suit. These parents were so disconnected from their kids at when the school play songs downloaded from their MySpace page they were shocked about the lyics, but side with their kids. My wife is a high school teacher. 50-60 years ago there were books for every child for the class. Not the case today. Mentally handicap kids are “main streamed”. Teachers have, what we called “special ed” students, in the main classrooms. They have the “no Child Left behind”. They have to take additional college on their time and their dime to keep current. They have to use differentiation in their classrooms. That basically means come up with three different lesson plans for a single class, and teach all three intertwined.

Now that said I’m a little p!ssed that wayne-westland schools decided at 7:20 to class off school today. Buses had already dropped kids off at school, picked kids up at the bus stops and allowed parent to drop off kids at the schools. Now parents must pick up their kids at the schools as the school buses are not running to drop kids back off. What kind of self-center uneducated decision maker made that call
Krystal

Westland, MI

#4 Oct 6, 2008
Parents are complaining that they had to call off work today, but yet they will be complaining even more when at the end of the school year there child doesnt learn half as much as they should have because there are 40 students in a class! I think there doing the right thing! Keep up the good work Wayne-Westland teachers and stick to what you think is right!

Northville, MI

#5 Oct 7, 2008
I talked to a couple of teachers last night. I found out that the superintendent Greg Baracy knew at 11pm the night before, that teachers would go on strike. According to them the news reported that he said some teachers crossed the line. My neighbor is a teacher at the schools and we talked about this before the school year started. New teachers that do not have tenure would cross the line. It was not if they were breaking ranks.
So it sound like the Greg Baracy is trying to play politics with the public by reporting half truths and making like the teacher went on strike at 7:20am to disrupt everyone days. But it was the he who waited to cancel school so late. He made the call for parents come to school and pick up their kids after the buses had dropped them off. Greg Baracy is to blame for your problems Monday morning.
george

United States

#6 Oct 7, 2008
they should have smaller classes like as deviding the rooms children learn better in smaller class rooms i understand but if thier not getting paid were is the money going to for education really were does those standers go. kids come first in are lifes they are futute they cant just learn thier selfs and kids that get one on one do good in life with teachers so they really do need to think about education and were is the benifits going for what ever if the teachers need heath benifits it does have somthing to do with the county those teachers are teaching thier kids who will they learn

Northville, MI

#7 Oct 9, 2008
According to my wife (a high school teacher with two master degrees) the optimal class room size is 22-25 students depending on the students and the class. Above these numbers the amount of one on one time and differentiation loses its effectiveness. This is all about money.
The Question I would be asking is: Why did the Wayne-Westland school board turned down a request for audit by the state school auditors within five minutes of it being proposed by the teachers union? Maybe the board didn’t want everyone to know the in the Superintendent’s contract he gets a “Company” Car, mileage expense, travel expense account and over $206K pay check, plus other items.
I do not know if this is valid, because I heard it through the grapevine and have yet to find a source who will verify: The principles at John-Glen high School, Stevenson and Franklin Middles were fired (or threaten to be fired) by the school board for refusing to turning in the names of the teachers striking. Can anyone comment on this?
It was announced on the news that the school board is “looking into legal action against teachers and administrators”. The teachers are on strike and the administrators are working, but would they consider legal action against the administrator (ie principles), unless the above is true?
Dr Frank Douglas Garrett

Charlotte, NC

#8 Oct 7, 2012
I too had Mrs Van Buren and loved her. Do you remember her having us do circles over and over for handwriting? I wish I would have kept in touch with her.
Best Regards,
Frank
Karen Lane wrote:
I'm sorry, but I have to express my thoughts about your strike. When I was in Turner Elementary School back in the 1950's we had up to 41 students in our class. Mrs. Van Buren taught 3A, 4B and 4A. In this economy and 1,000's loosing their jobs I hope you can count your blessings that you're able to teach. Where do you think the extra money will come from to hire more teachers? Be glad you have a job and quite being like spoiled little children! I'm most sure you do not know the meaning of really rough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any Livonia old-timers out there (May '10) 16 hr Seth Tyrssen 30
livonia business man chris martin running for a... Thu BIG DADDY 4
livonia councilman brandon kritzman protecting... Thu BIG DADDY 5
Livonia hatchetmen about to do another number o... Thu BIG DADDY 6
News Muslim Women Sue for Right to Wear Hijab Thu Ken 1
News Woman charged with murder in Westland hit-and-run Thu Born Loser 8
O.W. Best Junior High Thu Worried for the kids 2
More from around the web

Westland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE