Motorcyclist killed in collision on M...

Motorcyclist killed in collision on Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti Township

There are 31 comments on the Ann Arbor.com story from Jun 25, 2010, titled Motorcyclist killed in collision on Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti Township. In it, Ann Arbor.com reports that:

A motorcyclist was killed tonight when a driver who apparently didn't see him turned her vehicle into the path of his motorcycle on Michigan Avenue in Ypsilanti Township , the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ann Arbor.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anonymous

Green Springs, OH

#1 Jun 25, 2010
I hope the bitch does life in prison.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 25, 2010
anonymous wrote:
I hope the bitch does life in prison.
Did your mother have any kids that lived? What an idiotic post.
Tony

United States

#3 Jun 27, 2010
Fifteen years ago I had major facial reconstruction at UofM. At the time I had one eye stitched nearly closed, but was still able to drive legally. I was returning to have they eye opened a bit more. As I approached an intersection there at Maiden Way, the light turned green for me. I waited an extra long time before proceeding and it was a good thing because a motorcycle came blasting through the red light like it was not there. I would have nailed that bike and killed the rider. I would have been the one in court and held responsible and not being able to prove the rider went through the red light. I thank God every time I hear these reports.
anonymous

Livonia, MI

#4 Jun 27, 2010
Except this rider didn't go through a red light. The woman at the stop sign was careless and pulled into his path. He had the right of way. Just because you can claim to not see someone on the road, or that someone else did something to almost cause you to hit someone, doesn't mean you can't hear anything. He was so close to her with no time to swerve out of the way or slow down, that I know she heard his motorcycle. No doubt about it. Totally preventable. Pay attention with your eyes and ears!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 27, 2010
I have yet to hear of anyone pulling in front of a motorcycle on purpose. How can you KNOW what the person could here? Were you in the vehicle? Most accidents can be preventable. That is why they are called accidents. To say she should does life in prison is just stupid.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 27, 2010
hear, not here.
anonymous

Livonia, MI

#7 Jun 27, 2010
If you are 2 feet from a running motorcycle, are you telling me that you might not hear it? Bullshit. I know she wasn't deaf because the cops had a conversation with her that didn't involve sign language. This is a devastating accident that should have never happened. I never said it was on purpose and I never would, but I will say that she should have checked both sides of the street in a better way and that she should have her ears wide open when she's driving, as should anyone. And I am not the anonymous that said she should do life in prison. If you would have been paying attention to the cities listed below "anonymous" you wouldn't have made that comment to me. I have a ton of anger right towards the person that did this, and right now I can't forgive, or even come close to having one bit of sympathy for that woman. That motorcyclist was MY DAD and I think if you are going to comment, and this is to anyone who comments, you should be more careful about the ignorant statements you are making, because family members do see this, and it just hurts even more.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8 Jun 27, 2010
Well If I am two miles from an obnoxious harley I can hear it. I have no clue what the intersection is like or visibility on it. I know many areas love to plant vegetation in front of left turn areas. If it was found she was on cell (in any way) throw the book. And I feel that way about ANY accident in which I think most accidents occur. Cell phone/texting/looking for cell etc. If alchohol was involved double wammy.

I did not post what I did to make the death any less important . I thought the original person's post was stupid. Oh and I really don't pay attention to the names and locations of posters. They change names more times in an hour than I change my underware in a week.
anonymous

Livonia, MI

#9 Jun 27, 2010
I'm just saying that seeing people post things such as "obnoxious harley", and any other not thought about comment is not needed at a time like this. If this was your immediate family member then maybe you'd understand. Please don't post anymore comments on here because you are highly upsetting me and my family members.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Jun 27, 2010
then why go on topix? sorry but I have had people die in worse ways. I didn't get on the internet to discuss it.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss. And yes loud illegal pipes on harleys annoy me. It takes away from MY peace and quiet. But of course my rolling up the window and then trying to figure out where the noise is is MY fault for not quite getting it?

Get off the internet and grieve like people should do and not on Topix.
Tony

United States

#11 Jun 28, 2010
anonymous wrote:
Except this rider didn't go through a red light. The woman at the stop sign was careless and pulled into his path. He had the right of way. Just because you can claim to not see someone on the road, or that someone else did something to almost cause you to hit someone, doesn't mean you can't hear anything. He was so close to her with no time to swerve out of the way or slow down, that I know she heard his motorcycle. No doubt about it. Totally preventable. Pay attention with your eyes and ears!!!!
Like the old folks say in Miami, "Don't pull out until you see the whites of their eyes."
anonymous

Livonia, MI

#12 Jun 28, 2010
I want to read these comments for my own knowledge and it's something I'm allowed to do. I like to see the nice comments people put on here about my dad and our family. No one will tell me that I should get off the internet and grieve in another way. How dare you. I'm not grieving on here, I'm stating the facts like they should be and not making idiotic comments. I told you to not comment on here anymore, and if you are going to, direct it towards someone else. No one wants to read your nonsense about how pipes annoy you. I loved the sound of my dads motorcycle and the stuff you are posting is appaling to me. Don't comment again.
wltg

Hobe Sound, FL

#13 Jun 28, 2010
pot meet kettle.

you are here to fight.

there are no posts about your father or family.

you are telling me not to comment because you have now made it YOUR domain. Just like a loud harley should be heard by others and that you like the SOUND and so should everyone else.

you want to read the posts for knowledge but refuse to acknowledge my posts about accidents and motorcycles. you are not searching for anything here. you are just here to bitch. look at the posts. i think you could find a better venue.

Take your own advice and don't comment or don't read. It is your choice.
wltg

Hobe Sound, FL

#14 Jun 29, 2010
BTW

I am older than your dad and would expect more from my kids than what you typed.
Prilosec

Troy, MI

#15 Jun 30, 2010
wltg,

As a friend of the family and knowing them for quite some time, I assure you, he took all the necessary precautions while riding and almost positive he didn't have an illegal aftermarket "pipe" on his bike. Over half of motorcycle related injuries and death aren't caused by the rider, but rather by the carelessness of the person operating another vehicle. The police reports state that the driver was heading north bound on Rawsonville, pulling into a mobile home while he was heading west bound on Michigan Avenue. At that intersection there are two stop signs, none of which would make the flow of traffic going east or west bound on Michigan Avenue, stop. The signs are placed North and South on Rawsonville, and when the driver see's both sides are clear, they are then allowed to proceed.

Since you claim you are older, I'm sure you've been driving for quite some time. The motorcyclist obviously had the right of way. The driver just didn't take the necessary steps to properly stop at the stop sign and proceed. Instead she blew past it, hitting him and killing him.

I'm in no way attacking you, but everything points to this being the fault of the driver in the vehicle. And no thanks to her carelessness, this man left behind 3 beautiful daughters, 1 of whom just graduated and a beautiful and caring wife. In no way do I agree she should rot in prison, but she should be punished someway or another for what she has done to the motorcyclists family.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#16 Jun 30, 2010
Prilosec wrote:
wltg,
As a friend of the family and knowing them for quite some time, I assure you, he took all the necessary precautions while riding and almost positive he didn't have an illegal aftermarket "pipe" on his bike. Over half of motorcycle related injuries and death aren't caused by the rider, but rather by the carelessness of the person operating another vehicle. The police reports state that the driver was heading north bound on Rawsonville, pulling into a mobile home while he was heading west bound on Michigan Avenue. At that intersection there are two stop signs, none of which would make the flow of traffic going east or west bound on Michigan Avenue, stop. The signs are placed North and South on Rawsonville, and when the driver see's both sides are clear, they are then allowed to proceed.
Since you claim you are older, I'm sure you've been driving for quite some time. The motorcyclist obviously had the right of way. The driver just didn't take the necessary steps to properly stop at the stop sign and proceed. Instead she blew past it, hitting him and killing him.
I'm in no way attacking you, but everything points to this being the fault of the driver in the vehicle. And no thanks to her carelessness, this man left behind 3 beautiful daughters, 1 of whom just graduated and a beautiful and caring wife. In no way do I agree she should rot in prison, but she should be punished someway or another for what she has done to the motorcyclists family.
I never said the motorcycle was at fault. The article I read did not say the driver blew through the stop sign. I originally posted because of the first post. As long as motorcycles have been around many drivers don't look for them. I think everyone can agree on that. I never said motorcycle was driving like an idiot. I never said automobile was driving correctly. the article I read didn't have those specifics.
anonymous

Livonia, MI

#17 Jul 1, 2010
Until you know the real story then, stop making comments. Enough said.
yo yo man

Dearborn, MI

#18 Jul 8, 2010
I want you to come down to the club house and say that crap anonymous
betty

Rayville, LA

#19 Jul 8, 2010
who was on the Harley
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#20 Jul 9, 2010
anonymous wrote:
If you are 2 feet from a running motorcycle, are you telling me that you might not hear it? Bullshit.
Have you ever heard a BMW? I can hear a mouse before the BMW. Therefore, yes, there are very quite motorcycles and BMW is just one brand. Motorcycles do not come with loud pipes as it is illegal for manufacturers and dealers to do so. Therefore, all bikes are fairly quiet or very quiet until the owner modifies the exhaust.
anonymous wrote:
I know she wasn't deaf because the cops had a conversation with her that didn't involve sign language. This is a devastating accident that should have never happened. I never said it was on purpose and I never would, but I will say that she should have checked both sides of the street in a better way and that she should have her ears wide open when she's driving, as should anyone.
Would you have felt differently if it was another person in a four wheeled vehicle? I'm willing to bet you would and willing to bet you aren't this outraged when this type of accident partakes to others on a "daily" basis.
anonymous wrote:
And I am not the anonymous that said she should do life in prison. If you would have been paying attention to the cities listed below "anonymous" you wouldn't have made that comment to me. I have a ton of anger right towards the person that did this, and right now I can't forgive, or even come close to having one bit of sympathy for that woman.
That's too bad because holding that resentment towards someone who had no intent of harming anyone will haunt you in life and never allow you to heal.

It's called an accident for a reason. As I asked above, would it be different if it were a car? Chances are your dad, or anyone, would have lived if in a car. The fact remains, your dad increased his chance of surviving an accident by riding a motorcycle. This was his choice and I'm sure he knew the consequences.
anonymous wrote:
That motorcyclist was MY DAD and I think if you are going to comment, and this is to anyone who comments, you should be more careful about the ignorant statements you are making, because family members do see this, and it just hurts even more.
Your emotions are guiding your attitude. Let it go and use logic. Again, I stated, I'm sure your dad knew the risks of riding. Accidents partake daily. There are stupid people who drive and we all assume risks. Those risks increase or decrease based upon the vehicle we drive. Those who increase their risk with smaller vehicles should be full aware of what may lie ahead.

BTW, before you assume I don't know what I'm talking about, I ride a motorcycle and have been for over 25 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Canton Police Report Increase in Coyote Sightings (Feb '13) Feb 20 Michelle 2
News No word on ID of body found in Westland cemetery Feb 15 Mad mother 1
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) Feb 14 thejingler 25
Any Livonia old-timers out there (May '10) Feb 12 Jim 67
Livonia is trash Feb 9 Tyrssen 2
is livonias mayor dennis wright a drunk? Feb 9 WATCHING LIVONIA 6
News Police Investigate Shooting In Dearborn (Apr '06) Feb 6 DGC 440

Westland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westland Mortgages