Who do you support for Governor in Oh...
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#32614 Aug 11, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of those "thinky" things that you will never understand. Is going into Iraq in the first place no longer Bush's fault because it's been 11 years?
So any mistakes any President after Bush makes is going to be Bush's fault forever?
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#32615 Aug 11, 2014
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>It's no wonder that the only jobs you could ever get is being a delivery boy.
It's no wonder you are just a pathetic troll.
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#32616 Aug 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
So any mistakes any President after Bush makes is going to be Bush's fault forever?
No, but George W. Bush is directly responsible for our involvement in Iraq. Obama would not be involved in Iraq today, except for Bush's choice to invade.

Nixon inherited the Vietnam war from Lyndon Johnson, who had greatly expanded our involvement in that war. Just because Nixon took office didn't mean that Johnson's actions were forgotten. Nixon made his own mistakes, but Johnson was responsible for a lot of needless deaths. So is George W. Bush.

There's no statute of limitations when it comes to the lingering effects of bad decisions.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Akron, OH

#32617 Aug 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you get that from what I wrote? The mere passage of time does not shift responsibility from one person to another. You seem to suggest that W. is now absolved from all responsibility from decisions he made simply because time has passed. That's stupid. I'm not blaming Bush for what Obama has done. I'm blaming Bush for what Bush did.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Akron, OH

#32618 Aug 11, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but George W. Bush is directly responsible for our involvement in Iraq. Obama would not be involved in Iraq today, except for Bush's choice to invade.
Nixon inherited the Vietnam war from Lyndon Johnson, who had greatly expanded our involvement in that war. Just because Nixon took office didn't mean that Johnson's actions were forgotten. Nixon made his own mistakes, but Johnson was responsible for a lot of needless deaths. So is George W. Bush.
There's no statute of limitations when it comes to the lingering effects of bad decisions.
Thanks for saying it more artfully than I did.
Canton

Canton, OH

#32619 Aug 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Your MSM is still struggling to protect your leader and overlook stories that right-wing sources bring out. If you can't prove them wrong, just attack the source as usual.
Still having troubles with wrapping your head around a person like me, who doesn't rely on obvious propaganda mills for my source of "facts". Considering you are posting your MSM comment in response to me clearly stating that, I would have to say that they will let anybody drive a truck these days. Even people dumb enough to think Fox is actually news. Also, you must have made a typo there when you said "my leader". What you meant to say was our democratically elected president of the United States of America. Get it right for once, lil' trooper.
Canton

Canton, OH

#32620 Aug 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Now you are just throwing out random history nuggets that have nothing to do with the subject at hand? You may be in the early stages of dementia.
Early?
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32621 Aug 11, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Our conflict with the Barbary powers started in the late 18th Century.
"Morocco, which in 1777 was the first independent nation to publicly recognize the United States, became in 1784 the first Barbary power to seize an American vessel after independence. The Barbary threat led directly to the creation of the United States Navy in March 1794."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates
The two Barbary Wars occurred just after the turn of the century.
EXACTLY ! We did NOT have a war with the Barbary Pirates until the 19th century but we did pay tribute B4 that. Thanks for endorsing my assertions.
Hamilton

Sidney, OH

#32622 Aug 11, 2014
Who said, POPs would quit telling stories and get smarter, if he was allowed to move up here, from KY, next to me in Middletown! They were wrong, right Canton? He is as boring as ever! But, he has had experience in a million fields, or at least, as he remembers it! Haha!
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32623 Aug 11, 2014
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
soooo, your sex is better than their sex, eh? How about your drinkin?
woof
YES ! I practice SAFE sex. What have you been swallowing?
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32624 Aug 11, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and think it was nothing but trying to buy friendship with the black community. Sure worked out well for Republicans, hasn't it?
It isn't just tjhe Black community. Please explain Why you specify them Ray?
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#32625 Aug 11, 2014
<quoted text>
How did you get that from what I wrote? The mere passage of time does not shift responsibility from one person to another. You seem to suggest that W. is now absolved from all responsibility from decisions he made simply because time has passed. That's stupid. I'm not blaming Bush for what Obama has done. I'm blaming Bush for what Bush did.
And I'm blaming DumBama for what DumBama did. Nothing wrong with that.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#32626 Aug 11, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I get it. Sort of like the first attack on American soil by middle-east terrorists happened under Bill Clinton?
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32627 Aug 11, 2014
Hamilton wrote:
Who said, POPs would quit telling stories and get smarter, if he was allowed to move up here, from KY, next to me in Middletown! They were wrong, right Canton? He is as boring as ever! But, he has had experience in a million fields, or at least, as he remembers it! Haha!
Haha ! Dispute my claims with something better than "...experienced in a million fields" which of course an exaggeration & typical of a witless inaccurate person
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32628 Aug 11, 2014
Hamilton wrote:
By the way, I am not in any way a genius but I am interested in what it is like to be a dolt & a putz. Please tell me what it is like if you can comprehend that you are both And articulate what you are..
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#32629 Aug 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Thanks for saying it more artfully than I did.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm not trying to insult anyone --- I'm just trying to educate them, as gently as I can.(This is known in some quarters as "old fart's disease!)

Don't know if you are interested in documentary film, but there were two recent movies that capture how our political conversation has changed. The first is "Fog of War", where an aging Robert McNamara looks back, and admits how he screwed up the Vietnam War.

Thanks to the internet,you can watch it for free:

The second is the "Unknown Known", where true believer Donald Rumsfeld smiles, and continues to repeat his tired talking points, in a very self-satisfied manner. He reminds me of some of the folks here. Reading a script, giving canned responses --- but never considering the terrible consequences of personal mistakes. Rumsfeld is trying to win a moral argument (and the judgement of history) with simple slogans and a dopey grin...

Unfortunately not available for free in its entirety, but you'll get enough here to imagine the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32630 Aug 11, 2014
To whomever "judged' my posts numbers 32609 & 32621 as clueless, nuts & disagree, google wiki or bing what I posted & learn that you are an idiot. NO problem there, YOU have EVERY right to be an Idiot & I will defend your right to be an Idiot.
I appreciate the entertainment that YOU supply. It makes me chuckle. TY
Pops

Loveland, OH

#32631 Aug 11, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Our conflict with the Barbary powers started in the late 18th Century.
"Morocco, which in 1777 was the first independent nation to publicly recognize the United States, became in 1784 the first Barbary power to seize an American vessel after independence. The Barbary threat led directly to the creation of the United States Navy in March 1794."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates
The two Barbary Wars occurred just after the turn of the century.
By the way, YOU left out that T. Jefferson ORDERED an English translation of the Koran brought to America for him to read to better understand an adversary before military confrontation. TJ was pres from 1801 to 1809 which made the U.S. military conflict with the Barbary Pirates in the 19th century as YOU yourself presented. Again, TY OG for proving my previous post.
You supply fantastic research & accurate links, better than me, but it would serve you well to quit being condensending & belittling. I am NOT perfect but I am NOT an idiot or typically belittling..

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#32632 Aug 11, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, YOU left out that T. Jefferson ORDERED an English translation of the Koran brought to America for him to read to better understand an adversary before military confrontation. TJ was pres from 1801 to 1809 which made the U.S. military conflict with the Barbary Pirates in the 19th century as YOU yourself presented. Again, TY OG for proving my previous post.
You supply fantastic research & accurate links, better than me, but it would serve you well to quit being condensending & belittling. I am NOT perfect but I am NOT an idiot or typically belittling..
Treaty of Tripoli

Barbary pirates

For three centuries up to the time of the Treaty, the Mediterranean Sea lanes had been preyed on by the North African Muslim states of the Barbary Coast (Tripoli, Algiers, Morocco and Tunis) through privateering (government-sanctioned piracy). Hostages captured by the Barbary pirates were either ransomed or forced into slavery, contributing to the greater Ottoman slave trade (of which the Barbary states were a segment). Life for the captives often was harsh, especially for Christian captives, and many died from their treatment. Some captives "went Turk", that is, converted to Islam, a choice that made life in captivity easier for them.

Before the American Revolution, the British colonies in North America were protected from the Barbary pirates by British warships and treaties. During the Revolution, the Kingdom of France formed an alliance with the colonies and assumed the responsibility of providing protection of U.S. ships against the Barbary pirates. After the U.S. won its independence with the signing of the Treaty of Paris (1783), it had to face the threat of the Barbary pirates on its own. Two American ships were captured by Algerian pirates in July 1785 and the survivors forced into slavery, their ransom set at $60,000. A rumor that Benjamin Franklin, who was en route from France to Philadelphia about that time, had been captured by Barbary pirates, caused considerable upset in the U.S. Without a standing navy, much less a navy capable of projecting force across an ocean, the U.S. was forced to pay tribute monies and goods to the Barbary nations for the security of its ships and the freedom of its captured citizens. As General William Eaton informed newly appointed Secretary of State John Marshall in 1800, "It is a maxim of the Barbary States, that 'The Christians who would be on good terms with them must fight well or pay well.'"

Soon after the formation of the United States, privateering in the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean from the nations of the Barbary Coast prompted the U.S. to initiate a series of so-called peace treaties, collectively known as the Barbary Treaties. Individual treaties were negotiated with Morocco (1786), Algiers (1795), Tripoli (1797) and Tunis (1797), all of them more than once. The United States consul-general to the Barbary states of Algiers, Tripoli and Tunis was Joel Barlow, who dealt with the text of various treaties (including the Treaty of Tripoli) and supported U.S. diplomatic efforts in the Barbary Coast. Commissioner Plenipotentiary of the United States, David Humphreys, was given the right to establish a treaty with Tripoli and assigned Joel Barlow and Joseph Donaldson to broker it. It was Joel Barlow who certified the signatures on the Arabic original and the English copy provided to him. Later, Captain Richard O'Brien established the original transport of the negotiated goods along with the Treaty, but it was the American Consul James Leander Cathcart who delivered the final requirements of payment for the treaty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripol...
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#32633 Aug 11, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
Treaty of Tripoli

Now, that treaty is mostly remembered for a short phrase at the beginning of Art. 11:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

Ratified unanimously by the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by President Adams on June 10.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Illegal alien charged with second DUI in less t... (Sep '12) Nov 19 John Smith 56
who should be our President? Nov '16 Ruth Ann 1
Review: Patient First - John Kavlich MD (May '09) Oct '16 Chrissy 65
Water Heater Jun '16 daveweger 1
waterheater Jun '16 daveweger 1
Toczek (Mar '16) Mar '16 Uncle Daryl 1
Vote For Donald Trump (Mar '16) Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1

Westlake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages