Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010?

Posted in the Westlake Forum

Comments (Page 1,237)

Showing posts 24,721 - 24,740 of28,981
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
I am certainly no more of a weatherman than you are. That's why I am smart enough to go with the 97% of the experts on climate science. Now let's hear why you choose the 3%, with most of whom work directly for the energy industry. Go ahead and explain why you think you know better than the overwhelming majority of the scientific community. Better grab a bogus, already proven to be false, right wing propaganda link. Fox News will do. You got nothing, clown. You look like an idiot, considering you drive truck and think you personally know better than the climate experts.
LOL, well at least I know that it can get cold and mild in a 24 hour period. I also know that it's nothing abnormal. I also have my news websites all with a a weather section where I can look up the average temperatures for this time of year.

As for your 97% of scientists, it's already been proven phony, so when you bring it up, I just laugh. How can anybody take you seriously when you bring that up?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
In the US, it takes anywhere from three to ten years for our FDA to approve a new drug. During this time, it takes millions of dollars of testing, paperwork and interaction with our federal government.
If and when a new drug finally gets approved, the drug company has to recoup all that money they invested. This is why you read or watch on television reporters stating that it costs a company fifty cents to make a pill, but they charge eight dollars.
Many of the new drugs never make it to market because of the FDA. So how does a drug company recoup those losses? They increase the price of their drugs already in the US market.
So why are these drugs cheaper in other countries? Easy enough to figure out, we took the hit for all the testing and paperwork. In another country, they just simply put it out on the market.
Then there is the liability issue that drug manufacturers don't have to deal with in other countries. In our country, the manufacture has to include X amount of money for legal defense and liability.
So the reason our prescriptions cost what they do is because of the FDA, all the drugs not approved by the FDA, and the extensive testing and red tape that it takes to get a drug approved. This information was passed on to me by my cousin in Maryland. She's a research doctor up there.
Wrong again. In this country, we let big business rape the consumer. In other countries, they don't.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? She should have bargained for better pay. You sure don't like the free market very much when you disagree with its results.
What really happened is that our country suffered a shortage of medical personnel. Our unions in this country made it unreasonable for anybody to go into the medical field unless it was a strong passion. So how do you attract people to this kind of work? You have to increase the wages for these professionals. Otherwise they will go to UPS, FedEx, Ford, the steel mills, or a number of other non-skilled employment.

Until this day, if you look in the want ads under medical, you will still see many, many positions not being filled. As we are forced to pay these workers much more money, it increases the cost of our medical care. I believe a pharmacist today makes somewhere in the 140 to 160 K range. An RN can move to just about anywhere in the country and not worry about finding a job. They are still in high demand.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
In the US, it takes anywhere from three to ten years for our FDA to approve a new drug. During this time, it takes millions of dollars of testing, paperwork and interaction with our federal government.
If and when a new drug finally gets approved, the drug company has to recoup all that money they invested. This is why you read or watch on television reporters stating that it costs a company fifty cents to make a pill, but they charge eight dollars.
Many of the new drugs never make it to market because of the FDA. So how does a drug company recoup those losses? They increase the price of their drugs already in the US market.
So why are these drugs cheaper in other countries? Easy enough to figure out, we took the hit for all the testing and paperwork. In another country, they just simply put it out on the market.
Then there is the liability issue that drug manufacturers don't have to deal with in other countries. In our country, the manufacture has to include X amount of money for legal defense and liability.
So the reason our prescriptions cost what they do is because of the FDA, all the drugs not approved by the FDA, and the extensive testing and red tape that it takes to get a drug approved. This information was passed on to me by my cousin in Maryland. She's a research doctor up there.
You're just a pathetic cry baby.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Wrong again. In this country, we let big business rape the consumer. In other countries, they don't.
Is that what you want, a government that controls the private sector taking away competition and trusting them not to cheat the system for their own political advantage?

Competition controls prices, monopolies don't.
takingthemiddle

Celina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Wish all the proponents of a one payer system would go to socialized countries to see "exactly" what it has done to the system. Why do you think many have come to the U.S. for operations? My best friend from Canada would have died had she waited for care there. You all need to get the real facts. These idiots who just took over your HC can't do anything efficiently. The tore down the house to fix the roof!
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What really happened is that our country suffered a shortage of medical personnel. Our unions in this country made it unreasonable for anybody to go into the medical field unless it was a strong passion. So how do you attract people to this kind of work? You have to increase the wages for these professionals. Otherwise they will go to UPS, FedEx, Ford, the steel mills, or a number of other non-skilled employment.
Until this day, if you look in the want ads under medical, you will still see many, many positions not being filled. As we are forced to pay these workers much more money, it increases the cost of our medical care. I believe a pharmacist today makes somewhere in the 140 to 160 K range. An RN can move to just about anywhere in the country and not worry about finding a job. They are still in high demand.
And?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you want, a government that controls the private sector taking away competition and trusting them not to cheat the system for their own political advantage?
Competition controls prices, monopolies don't.
It's telling that you equate "raping the consumer" with competition.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

takingthemiddle wrote:
Wish all the proponents of a one payer system would go to socialized countries to see "exactly" what it has done to the system. Why do you think many have come to the U.S. for operations? My best friend from Canada would have died had she waited for care there. You all need to get the real facts. These idiots who just took over your HC can't do anything efficiently. The tore down the house to fix the roof!
Every healthcare system has it's problems. There is no "perfect" system that I'm aware of.

Canada spends over one billion dollars every year to have their citizens treated in the US. Our northern hospitals are full of Canadian patients. I read an article a few years back where it said Canada was starting to open up private medical care facilities and even selling healthcare insurance just like we do.

If you talk to people from Canada (as I do) the younger and middle-aged citizens will swear by their healthcare system. Elderly Canadian citizens have told me "keep what you have in this country."

Socialized healthcare systems are great for back problems, sprained ankles, broken bones, eye and ear problems. But when it comes to the serious stuff, that's where they fail to meet expectations. Canada uses cancer treatments we quit using over 20 years ago because our medications are more advanced.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet when you see 30,000 record high temperatures, you close your eyes. I bet when the scientists who accurately predicted the hottest decade in recorded history, you know. Back when you guys were saying climate change didn't exist at all, you went with what the Koch Brothers were telling you..
WE may have had 30,000 record HIGH temps 500 million years ago just as we must have had 30,000 LOW temps 10,000 years ago for the last Ice Age or there would NOT have been glaciers down to the Missouri & Ohio rivers while Humans & animal species could NOT have crossed the Bering Sea from 1 continent to another & was wiping out Mammoths.& others. Climate change has existed for BILLIONS of years.
The technology & humankind simply did NOT record it for that duration of time.
Don't get me wrong on my position of "climate change" as opposed to "climate warming" any more than "revenue enhancement" is to "tax increases",
MY position is that humankind does NOT need to accelerate or contribute to 'climate change'. Let 'nature' take it's course whatever course that may be.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>

So the reason our prescriptions cost what they do is because of the FDA, all the drugs not approved by the FDA, and the extensive testing and red tape that it takes to get a drug approved.
This is interesting because it is a testable idea. We can look at other countries that have equivalent agencies to the FDA, and see if their drug prices are also higher. If so, your idea might have merit.

In Canada, their version of the FDA is Health Canada. It has similar oversight of drugs. And yet, drugs are much cheaper there. Why do you think that is?

"The statistics reflect that prices of brand name drugs in the United States are significantly higher than in Canada, India, the UK and other countries, nearly all of which have price controls."

Why don't we have price controls, or even just allow Medicare to negotiate for the best prices?

"The pharmaceutical industry has thousands of lobbyists in Washington, D.C., that lobby Congress and protect their interests. The pharmaceutical industry spent $855 million, more than any other industry, on lobbying activities from 1998 to 2006, according to the non-partisan Center for Public Integrity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescription_dru...

Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This is such confused logic that I barely know where to start. Again, your premise is a testable one. You suggest that when unions are strong, salaries of those in medicine will have to rise to compete (and, when unions are weak, salaries of those in medicine will fall.) This is not what we've seen. When unions were at the peak of their strength in the 1950s, did doctors salaries rise dramatically? No. And now, when unions are in profound decline, are doctor's salaries falling? No.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to increase the wages for these professionals. Otherwise they will go to UPS, FedEx, Ford, the steel mills, or a number of other non-skilled employment.
You believe the only reason that anyone works is to make money? Really?

For those with a choice, there are many jobs that are interesting and challenging, and the pay is only one consideration out of many. Working in medicine is difficult, requires many years of training, but the non-financial rewards are great. You get to see the difference you make in people's lives every day.

Have you ever been in a steel mill? I have. The work is hot, the environment is nasty. Every day you work there takes a terrible toll on your body, and it ages you prematurely. Outside of the money, there's not much to recommend it.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Otherwise they will go to UPS, FedEx, Ford, the steel mills, or a number of other non-skilled employment.
Why didn't you get one of those high paying, unskilled jobs?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
This is interesting because it is a testable idea. We can look at other countries that have equivalent agencies to the FDA, and see if their drug prices are also higher. If so, your idea might have merit.
In Canada, their version of the FDA is Health Canada. It has similar oversight of drugs. And yet, drugs are much cheaper there. Why do you think that is?
"The statistics reflect that prices of brand name drugs in the United States are significantly higher than in Canada, India, the UK and other countries, nearly all of which have price controls."
Why don't we have price controls, or even just allow Medicare to negotiate for the best prices?
"The pharmaceutical industry has thousands of lobbyists in Washington, D.C., that lobby Congress and protect their interests. The pharmaceutical industry spent $855 million, more than any other industry, on lobbying activities from 1998 to 2006, according to the non-partisan Center for Public Integrity."
research is very expensive.

Patents protect integrity to reclaim expenditure of research. The USA pays 100% of the research cost, and subsidies the world with medicine.

Only USA customers pay back the companies that develop new medicine. All other countries medicine pricing does not include research cost.....we pay that.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
research is very expensive.
Patents protect integrity to reclaim expenditure of research. The USA pays 100% of the research cost, and subsidies the world with medicine.
Only USA customers pay back the companies that develop new medicine. All other countries medicine pricing does not include research cost.....we pay that.
We are not the only nation developing new drugs (though we do develop a disproportionate share): "Although the United States comprises only 5% of the world's population, it accounts for 36% of worldwide research and development of pharmaceutical drugs."

Why should we subsidize drugs for the rest of the world? Why shouldn't we use our buying power to negotiate for the best prices?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not the only nation developing new drugs (though we do develop a disproportionate share): "Although the United States comprises only 5% of the world's population, it accounts for 36% of worldwide research and development of pharmaceutical drugs."
Why should we subsidize drugs for the rest of the world? Why shouldn't we use our buying power to negotiate for the best prices?
The USA subsides the world with research and development.

Your number 36% is off by 60%.

Wikipedia is garbage in, garbage out.

you don't get it.....we are the money.....nobody else has any.

can I suggest you travel abroad.

I leave for Asia this Friday. Never been prior.
My passport has an addendum book because other is filled. I know differently.

PS: Next door neighbor is a Director at a drug manufacturer. Generic drugs don't pay for research. None.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
I cite my sources. Where does your number come from?
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a joke?
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
I have traveled extensively outside of the USA.
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Next door neighbor is a Director at a drug manufacturer. Generic drugs don't pay for research. None.

So?
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you have a good time.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Our GDP is 16,244,600 million dollars.
The GDP of the European Union is 16,721,383 million dollars.
The GDP of China is 8,358,363 million dollars.
The GDP of Japan is 5,959,718 million dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
The USA subsides the world with research and development.
Wikipedia is garbage in, garbage out.
My passport has an addendum book because other is filled. I know differently.
PS: Next door neighbor is a Director at a drug manufacturer. Generic drugs don't pay for research. None.
Walter, going to Dragon Buffet for dinner is not going to Asia.
mutt

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Walter, going to Dragon Buffet for dinner is not going to Asia.
And banging your mom during home-school doesn't count as "scoring with the teacher". But hey, we're talking to a guy who also drives invisible race cars to go Marlin fishing in a parking lot...
Canton

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text> WE may have had 30,000 record HIGH temps 500 million years ago just as we must have had 30,000 LOW temps 10,000 years ago for the last Ice Age or there would NOT have been glaciers down to the Missouri & Ohio rivers while Humans & animal species could NOT have crossed the Bering Sea from 1 continent to another & was wiping out Mammoths.& others. Climate change has existed for BILLIONS of years.
The technology & humankind simply did NOT record it for that duration of time.
Don't get me wrong on my position of "climate change" as opposed to "climate warming" any more than "revenue enhancement" is to "tax increases",
MY position is that humankind does NOT need to accelerate or contribute to 'climate change'. Let 'nature' take it's course whatever course that may be.
You a climate scientist? Let's hear what the experts have to say on the matter...Go ahead and pick your own kookie denial claim. I think they address each one of them, as oddly enough, I have heard most of them on here. It's almost as if you are all getting your energy lobby propaganda from the same source .

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sev...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 24,721 - 24,740 of28,981
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Westlake Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Westlake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••