Westlake Cop Won't be Punished for Sh...

Westlake Cop Won't be Punished for Shooting, Killing Dog

There are 36 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from May 13, 2010, titled Westlake Cop Won't be Punished for Shooting, Killing Dog. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

An investigation by the Westlake Police Department has concluded that Officer Mark Morales was justified when he shot and killed a yellow Labrador retriever, Calloway, on March 6. The controversial shooting happened when Officer Morales was responding to a burglar alarm that had been triggered by Calloway and two other dogs at the home of Westlake ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Qid

Brook Park, OH

#23 May 14, 2010
Sounds like a rediculously stupid lie to me...the officer didn't REMEMBER the house?? They all look the same?? No they don't and an officer remembers what houses he's been to...especially when He's drawn his gun there. Bad cop.
thegoodfight

Dover, OH

#24 May 14, 2010
His revolver was drawn and the dog, being an intelligent animal sensed a threat. The dog was trying to defend it's self. The officer had drawn his weapon at this location in the past, he was already in an offensive position when the dog lunged. If the dog lunged, and wasn't just approaching the officer, barking because of his threatening stance. The owner should at least be compensated for the loss of his property.
Qid

Brook Park, OH

#25 May 14, 2010
Doctor Cooke, you should've already done something about that burglar alarm...the dogs set it off before. The police shouldn't have to deal with your dogs at all.
Officer Morales, you knew the dogs were there because you had dealt with them before, so you and your gun were ready for them. That is not professional behavior. I don't know if that dog lunged, if he did, you were right to defend yourself. If he didn't, what a sad thing to do.
pistoff

Cleveland, OH

#26 May 14, 2010
What a JOKE of a cop. HE was SCARED of a yellow lab? If your so scared of a dog doing nothing more then coming over to say hi and you have to shoot it in the head, DONT BE A COP YOU CLEARLY CANT DO THE JOB. Go work MALL Security you coward !
Qid

Brook Park, OH

#27 May 14, 2010
@pistoff, we weren't there we don't know if the dog was lunging. I doubt it, but we really don't know. I'm still all about the officer saying he didn't even remember BEING THERE before...and according to other reports he had been there TWICE before. Wow. He can't be that incompetant and remain a law inforcement officer. Really.
SpunkyBrunette

Mansfield, OH

#28 May 14, 2010
misrenegade wrote:
I guess this officer can shoot a person too and claim he attacked him. He couldn't use his laser on the dog, he had to shoot him. The officer was on the dog's property, the dog didn't know who he was, all the officer had to do was laser the dog he didn't have to shoot him. I have a German Shepherd and he is trained to protect me and my family, I sure wouldn't want him shot for doing what he is suppose to do. Ask me, the cop is a dog hater and he gets off free for killing the poor dog..
AMEN!!! You hit it right on!!!! This poor poor dog!!! Just guarding his property!!!
SpunkyBrunette

Mansfield, OH

#29 May 14, 2010
Josh wrote:
if this was a PITBULL dog no one would be talking at all about this... and to sue is just the american way,,, IT IS A FREAKIN DOG people !!!!!!!!!!
FYI.. I would stand up for a pitbull!!! Hell.. i would stand up for any animal!!! I guess your not an owner to any animals, i am to 9, and i love them all. Have a heart dude!
SpunkyBrunette

Mansfield, OH

#30 May 14, 2010
Arm Chair wrote:
File a lawsuit? For What? Defending himself! I wasn't there and either was the good doctor or anyone else for that matter. Maybe the officer will file a counter suit for the doctor's dog attacking him. Didn't know you could file a lawsuit for your dog getting killed. If mine walks out in front of a car, can I sue the driver of the car if that driver kills my dog even though it was my fault for not securing the dog? It appears that this was not the 1st time that the alarm has gone off at the house since they are making statements about this not being the 1st time he was there so is the good doctor liable at all for the false alarms at the house that required a law enforcement response thus his dog being shot? I'm sorry the dog was killed but again no one else was there and can say in any certainty whether or not the events reported by the officer are factual or not.
Get your crap straight!! You have no idea what your saying!
GOCOPS

Norwalk, OH

#31 May 14, 2010
it is so funny how NUTS people get over this.... I think you all need to get a life and figure out that ANY animal can be mean on a freind or foe... I agree with alot of people... if the owner had fixed the problem prior there would not be this problem... I wonder if he fixes teeth the same way, but ignoring the problem... just my thought... oh yea, I would have shot the beast also if he came after me
Qid

Brook Park, OH

#32 May 14, 2010
Hey Spunky...so how's about you tell us the facts...you seem to know it all. I've heard of people that come to spots like this and leave nasty comments because no one knows who you are, so you feel like you can snipe... you spit and hide and offer no help.
sweet sue ohio

United States

#33 May 14, 2010
The filthy pig should be shot.There was absolutely no reason to do what he did to that dog.
sweet sue ohio

United States

#35 May 14, 2010
Pedazo de mierda mexicana.Eres un idiota.
SpunkyBrunette

Mansfield, OH

#36 May 15, 2010
Qid wrote:
Hey Spunky...so how's about you tell us the facts...you seem to know it all. I've heard of people that come to spots like this and leave nasty comments because no one knows who you are, so you feel like you can snipe... you spit and hide and offer no help.
I'm always leaving comments about news articles, when i see fit.

What i meant is that person was totally wrong, the officer was never ATTACKED, he felt threatened, so he shot. Everyone continues to say or imply that the officer was attached, when in the article it clearly says he felt threatened.

No reason to be pissy!
JamesHM

Strongsville, OH

#37 May 20, 2010
I am glad that the situation ended as it did with no action against the officer. His actions most likely prevented a debilitating injury and the resulting pain, suffering and time off work during rehab for being bitten by an animal that was not properly controlled by its owner. And the keeping of out of control dogs are against the law. There absolutely is no need to take up more scarce and valuable police time trying to second guess the behavior of unsupervised dogs (in a multiple [too many] dog household to wit) as the protection of people is what the police department should continue to place as a priority. Property and pets are secondary to serving the citizens in the community. Unfortunately too many people are too wrapped up in their pets which results in an irrational view of priorities in this matter. All of the attention, rallies and time spent would be served directed at causes helping starving children, people with cancer or the elderly.

Doctors are often plagued by frivolous malpractice lawsuits. Looks like the situation is being reversed in any action against the City of Westlake.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#38 May 20, 2010
Arm Chair wrote:
File a lawsuit? For What? Defending himself!
Ah, it's too bad an armed citizen didn't mistake the Morales for an illegal immigrant breaking into a house with a burglar alarm going off.

Hopefully, four or five times as many cheap burglar alarms become installed in homes across the US so that the police can be kept busy answering repeated false alarms and shooting homeowner's dogs instead the police participating in nazi sobriety and driver's license checkpoints.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#39 May 20, 2010
JamesHM wrote:
There absolutely is no need to take up more scarce and valuable police time trying to second guess the behavior of unsupervised dogs (in a multiple [too many] dog household to wit) as the protection of people is what the police department should continue to place as a priority.
Police are not responsible for the protection of individual people, their pets or their property.

Since this was a repeat false alarm from this residence, the homeowner should have been fined for the second false alarm and made to use private security alarm responders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loud noise Jul 20 jay 4
Four car windows smashed: Brook Park police blo... Jul 20 kimberly 2
who is happy chad granger marks has moved out o... Jul 19 JustSaying 4
front yards are not storage areas (1895 Columbi... Jul 4 jpritchard 1
Harrell Faily - Open Door Jun 29 TFJC 2
News Police: 7 arrested for child sex crimes Jun '15 inwoodgang 1
Sam Sheppard Murder Case Jun '15 just wondering 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages