Westlake Cop Won't be Punished for Shooting, Killing Dog

An investigation by the Westlake Police Department has concluded that Officer Mark Morales was justified when he shot and killed a yellow Labrador retriever, Calloway, on March 6. The controversial shooting happened when Officer Morales was responding to a burglar alarm that had been triggered by Calloway and two other dogs at the home of Westlake ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nic

Painesville, OH

#1 May 14, 2010
What a surprise, they all stick to one another! Doesn't matter, he will get his punishment from God! Hope he can sleep at night, but than again he has no soul!
The Raven

Dover, OH

#3 May 14, 2010
If you attack or lunge at a cop you get what they dish out.

Fix the alarm

Fix the door

That's all the homeowner had to do and we wouldn't be reading this right now.
Jadd

Cleveland, OH

#4 May 14, 2010
We're talking about Westlake here, it's not like he has to draw his weapon every day. Or does he?
Jadd

Cleveland, OH

#2 May 14, 2010
I find it courious that a professionally trained observer; A, doesn't remember he's been to that house with his weapon drawn before, B, claims all the houses look the same. Do we really want cops on the job that don't remember when and where they've drawn their weapon or are not aware enough to notice differences between houses? I really thought cops were a little sharper than that. This seems to be a pretty lame excuse for his actions. Westlake could have come up with a better 'story'.
Jadd

Cleveland, OH

#5 May 14, 2010
Great, A professinally trained observer fails to remember when he drew his weapon. It's not like he does it everyday, this is Westlake. All the houses look the same on that street!!! Do we really want cops on the job with this kind of awareness? Pretty lame 'EXCUSE' Westlake.
Luckymom1989

Cleveland, OH

#7 May 14, 2010
Again, Officer Morales had absolutely no obligation to let the dog attack him. He had every right to defend himself. Also, there are a lot of expensive houses in Westlake. It's an upscale community. Officers are called to numerous addresses every day, They can't be expected to remember the details of every single house they visit. Those of you criticizing Officer Morales are probably lifelong cop haters just waiting for a chance to bash the police. People like you are a dime a dozen.
bob

Painesville, OH

#9 May 14, 2010
The media tries once again to make an animal equal with a human by giving it a name...An animal attacked a human who was lucky enough to have a weapon to defend himself. Good job officer. Good reaction. Good training. To the suck up Chief, why do they need more training? This worked perfectly. Grow a set and do your job.
herrarat

North Olmsted, OH

#10 May 14, 2010
Nice comment to the person with name "pistoff" - that itself says alot about you. You are obviously an animal hater...and can't get past that! and Luckymom1989 - Not a cop hater, most of them do a fine job and have been there when you need them. It's not about love or hate here. It's not about all cops at all. But this situation is different and it speaks "something went wrong" just because of all the attention it IS getting. If it was "the right thing for him to do" everyone would realize it and it would be over. But it's not - NO one on this post KNOWS anything about whether this dog "Lunged" at the officer or not. There were no witnesses, remember that. It's just his word, no one elses. I'm not saying it lunged or I'm not saying it did not (but I believe the dog did not (just my feeling)- many feel that it was lack of judgment and maybe excessive. I mean, this officer has had some major slip ups in the past as well. I'm glad it's going further.
Kathy

North Ridgeville, OH

#11 May 14, 2010
Am I surprised? NOOO!! Just another case of an animal cruelty victim (the dog) that wasnt awarded his "justice" for being killed for no reason. And another animal abuser gone free.

Great world we live in, eh? Glad to know that not even our pets are safe out there.

Unbelievable.
Brian6970

Cleveland, OH

#12 May 14, 2010
Wow great so this cop gets to go about his way and have fun shotting things, I bet they were all high fiving and laughing about this. He screwed up and that is that. But what did anyone expect we live in a socity belive that once you put on a badge and a gun you are 100% right all the time no matter what you do.
rucraz

Chagrin Falls, OH

#13 May 14, 2010
I hope they file and win that lawsuit. That murderer should have been fired.
misrenegade

Richmond, VA

#14 May 14, 2010
I guess this officer can shoot a person too and claim he attacked him. He couldn't use his laser on the dog, he had to shoot him. The officer was on the dog's property, the dog didn't know who he was, all the officer had to do was laser the dog he didn't have to shoot him. I have a German Shepherd and he is trained to protect me and my family, I sure wouldn't want him shot for doing what he is suppose to do. Ask me, the cop is a dog hater and he gets off free for killing the poor dog..
Josh

Norwalk, OH

#15 May 14, 2010
if this was a PITBULL dog no one would be talking at all about this... and to sue is just the american way,,, IT IS A FREAKIN DOG people !!!!!!!!!!
Tyler

Norwalk, OH

#16 May 14, 2010
wait, let me get this right.... the dog had set off the alarm 3 times prior, and the owner never adjusted it to fix it,, the dog comes after the cop and he was to stand there and let him bit him, the owner is now sueing over a dog... HELLO these cases have been in court and the most he will win is the placement of the dog what maybe $100,, what if a kid was walking by and the dog bit her, then what would people say..... stupid stupid stupid
Westlake Observer

Beachwood, OH

#17 May 14, 2010
This is one of those stories where, YES, both sides have something to learn from the incident and neither may be completely at fault or innocent. At least the Westlake Police department has said they will introduce new training to prevent an unfortunate incident like this from happening again. What has DR. COOKE said that he has learned from his mistakes??? What extra measures did he go through to protect his dogs while away?

All you people commenting who don't know any of these people involved should think twice about what you say. I know people in the police department and they were not "high-fiving and laughing" about this situation. They felt sad that a family pet was killed! ALSO, I have many friends who live in Dr. Cooke's neighborhood and they ALL say that those Labs are a menace! I have a Lab who wouldn't hurt a fly, but Dr. Cooke's labs don't have that same personality. After this event occurred, my daughter's friend could not even deliver GS cookies to the door because the remaining 2 labs were barking so ferociously in the front yard. They are animal lovers & owners and can tell when a dog is warning you to stay back!

This is a sad case, but a far cry from animal abuse as stated by Kathy in No. Ridgeville. Why not focus more energy on stopping real animal cruelty--those horrible puppy mills for example....there is true suffering going on there!
Pete

Lancaster, OH

#18 May 14, 2010
Dr. Cook is a wonderful guy and a great dentist...too bad this had to happen in the first place. Officer Morales is a Latino. Latinos have a fear of dogs, that's why he reacted the way he did. Good luck with the lawsuit Dr. Cook.
Arm Chair

Cleveland, OH

#19 May 14, 2010
File a lawsuit? For What? Defending himself! I wasn't there and either was the good doctor or anyone else for that matter. Maybe the officer will file a counter suit for the doctor's dog attacking him. Didn't know you could file a lawsuit for your dog getting killed. If mine walks out in front of a car, can I sue the driver of the car if that driver kills my dog even though it was my fault for not securing the dog? It appears that this was not the 1st time that the alarm has gone off at the house since they are making statements about this not being the 1st time he was there so is the good doctor liable at all for the false alarms at the house that required a law enforcement response thus his dog being shot? I'm sorry the dog was killed but again no one else was there and can say in any certainty whether or not the events reported by the officer are factual or not.
Mike

Olmsted Falls, OH

#20 May 14, 2010
People - 1 Dogs - 0
tommal

Wadsworth, OH

#21 May 14, 2010
will someone please hold the homeowner accountable?
i'm sorry that the dog was shot, but i also understand the officer's response.
far too many folks are pointing their fingers at the wrong person!
Kathy

North Ridgeville, OH

#22 May 14, 2010
To Westlake Observer:

I DO focus on all forms of animal cruelty by the way. And to me, yes, this is another case of animal cruelty, no doubt about it.

The way humans (some humans) treat animals, ALL animals, is sickening and there is abuse everywhere. I am a member of ASPCA, The Humane Society of The United States, and PETA to name a few, and I am very dedicated in helping to stop animal cruelty, and bringing justice to those animals who cannot defend themselves, such as this dog.

This officer should by no means be aloud to "serve and protect" any further. The only thing he "served and protected" was himself.

And to Josh and Mike and Arm Chair and Tyler....GROW UP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
republicans take the senate and america gets be... Tue tommorrow 1
Obituaries 10/26/11 (Nov '11) Oct 18 Roger and Terri 42
Pandrangi Tower will open soon at Southwest Gen... Oct 15 Ivieivy 1
Wholesale Medical Marijuana supplier Oct 11 good stuff 1
bed bugs Sep 25 concerned bulldog 1
Man charged in Cleveland rape is now suspect in... Sep 25 Serve Justice 1
FitzGerald says there was nothing improper in 2... Aug '14 mike 2
Westlake Dating
Find my Match

Westlake Jobs