Strange & Unusual - Black Widow Spider Found In Shipment Sent T...

By WKYC-TV Cleveland WESTLAKE, OH -- A Westlake business called animal control after finding a black widow spider in a shipment they received from Tennessee. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DAGwood

Tewksbury, MA

#1 Nov 29, 2007
Interesting story, but not all that uncommon today considering the amoung of international business we are doing with Central and South American Countries particluarly produce and for years bananas. But if it were a malicious act -- shame on whomever ochestrated it.

However -- one big editorial blooper in the article:

Paragraph 2 sentence two reads: "It game them all quite a scare."

Shouldn't the word "game" be the verb "gave"?
hmmmm

United States

#2 Nov 29, 2007
Wonder how much it cost the tax payers to give this spider a taxi ride, and why is it news? GEEEZ!
risky girl

Orange Park, FL

#3 Nov 29, 2007
ever heard of a shoe? SQUISH! Hubby deals with BW on a daily basis just about. He works for the leading cable comp. here in FL and and finds them in the peds all the time. They love dark damp places. Then again, he finds snakes regularly too...
Charles

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Nov 30, 2007

Spiders need to live somewhere, but can be annoying to human beings.
Someone with a arachnid phobia can really be miserable around one of these creatures, especially if it is a poisonous arachnid.
Westside Girl

United States

#6 Nov 30, 2007
Must be a slooooooooooooooooooow news day

Since: Jul 07

Columbus, OH

#7 Nov 30, 2007
I know if it truly "jumped" out at me...I would probably totally crap my pants!!! I don't know if Black Widows jump though??

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville, Fl.

#8 Nov 30, 2007
DAGwood wrote:
Interesting story, but not all that uncommon today considering the amoung of international business we are doing with Central and South American Countries particluarly produce and for years bananas. But if it were a malicious act -- shame on whomever ochestrated it.
However -- one big editorial blooper in the article:
Paragraph 2 sentence two reads: "It game them all quite a scare."
Shouldn't the word "game" be the verb "gave"?
What the hell does Central and South America got to do with this? NOTHING

Since: Sep 07

Coxsackie, NY

#9 Nov 30, 2007
EightyEight wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell does Central and South America got to do with this? NOTHING
A lot of people confuse BW's with Tarantulas thanks to TV. Black widows can't jump, either, they can't support their body weight on their legs unless they're half starved to death. On the floor they kind of drag themselves along. Call animal control? Well, good for the spider, but one step and the nickel to quarter sized leaping monster would have been history. We have black widows established in an apartment complex here in upper NY- people moved up from Florida, brought their stuff with them. I usually get three or four out of the building a year. Nobody's been bitten. The northern widow lives naturally in Long Island in woodpiles and crawlspaces.

“Our Grand daughter”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#10 Nov 30, 2007
opistoglyph wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of people confuse BW's with Tarantulas thanks to TV. Black widows can't jump, either, they can't support their body weight on their legs unless they're half starved to death. On the floor they kind of drag themselves along. Call animal control? Well, good for the spider, but one step and the nickel to quarter sized leaping monster would have been history. We have black widows established in an apartment complex here in upper NY- people moved up from Florida, brought their stuff with them. I usually get three or four out of the building a year. Nobody's been bitten. The northern widow lives naturally in Long Island in woodpiles and crawlspaces.
Black Widows aren't pets?? Just joking but we have them everywhere and I really don't fear them, love the under belly! So pretty.(Just keep your scorpions!)

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville, Fl.

#11 Nov 30, 2007
opistoglyph wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of people confuse BW's with Tarantulas thanks to TV. Black widows can't jump, either, they can't support their body weight on their legs unless they're half starved to death. On the floor they kind of drag themselves along. Call animal control? Well, good for the spider, but one step and the nickel to quarter sized leaping monster would have been history. We have black widows established in an apartment complex here in upper NY- people moved up from Florida, brought their stuff with them. I usually get three or four out of the building a year. Nobody's been bitten. The northern widow lives naturally in Long Island in woodpiles and crawlspaces.
I know, i live in Fl. Heck I got probaly 3 widows in my backyard. Even a brown one. But I NEVER EVER heard of anyone mistaking a widow for hairy @ss Tarantula, lol you got to be blind not to know the differance. Oh NO! IT A BIG HAIRY BLACK WIDOW!!! CALL THE COPS!! ROFLMAO

Location hidden

#12 Nov 30, 2007
Emily1081 wrote:
I know if it truly "jumped" out at me...I would probably totally crap my pants!!! I don't know if Black Widows jump though??
I don't think Black Widows are considered jumping type of spider

Coxsackie, NY

#13 Nov 30, 2007
Mommy of four wrote:
<quoted text>Black Widows aren't pets?? Just joking but we have them everywhere and I really don't fear them, love the under belly! So pretty.(Just keep your scorpions!)
THAT's right, my first contact with you was over a bark scopion sting when you youngest had a strep or staph infection, right.? Hope you're all doing better. BW bite is the most painful bite I've ever had- shoots your blood pressure through the roof, headache!!!!You want to kill yourself. I've had parts bitten off me and cut off me that hurt less than that headache.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#14 Nov 30, 2007
I had one in my mail box last year...went to get the mail and here she was...and here I was gooooooone !!!

Since: Oct 07

United States

#15 Nov 30, 2007
In SC, I have banana spider, they are really pretty, but guess what ? my husband have a phobia, I have to fight him to not kill them ! I like to observe them, how they moved their web, following the wind so they can catch prey..., sometimes I throw a fly ! here she come, wrapped it up, doing her things ! I think it's interesting, and every insect have a reason to be here, I don't like to kill them unless they try to crawled on me...

Coxsackie, NY

#16 Nov 30, 2007
BRIGITTE wrote:
In SC, I have banana spider, they are really pretty, but guess what ? my husband have a phobia, I have to fight him to not kill them ! I like to observe them, how they moved their web, following the wind so they can catch prey..., sometimes I throw a fly ! here she come, wrapped it up, doing her things ! I think it's interesting, and every insect have a reason to be here, I don't like to kill them unless they try to crawled on me...
I used to raise them in old window frames, like an ant farm, so they could make a good web. If you pluck the web gently three times, they'll run down and take food from your fingers. It's cool. Or a nightmare, depending on whether or not you like spiders!

Location hidden

#17 Nov 30, 2007
I have not seen any Black Widows here in Missouri but when we lived in California we had several in our house mostly in the bathroom but they never bothered me that much. I had never heard of anyone getting bitten by one out there.
Interested

Bowling Green, OH

#18 Dec 1, 2007
I think the guy who captured that scary spider must be so very brave and heroic. Kudos to that handsome and dashing young man that the newscaster interviewed.
Felix the Cat

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Dec 1, 2007
Who would think of calling Animal Control for a spider?? These people should never visit Florida then.

Jacksonville, FL

#20 Dec 1, 2007
BRIGITTE wrote:
My great grandmother used to throw firecrackers onto a web of a banana spider...but one day, she got gun powder in her eye and she stopped. Sounds fun though.

Jacksonville, FL

#21 Dec 1, 2007
Emily1081 wrote:
Oh man, we only have black widows out in our sheds but we get brown recluses in the house, and let me tell you, walking down the hallway and having one of those things lunge out at you will scare the shit out of you. I have no problems with little spiders, but when it's the size of my hand...ugh, I hate them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Ridgeville Internet Providers (Nov '07) Nov 7 MaryEllen Minter 5
Items (Oct '11) Nov 1 Kim 2
Trick or treating Nov 1 Jessica 1
republicans take the senate and america gets be... Oct 21 tommorrow 1
Obituaries 10/26/11 (Nov '11) Oct '14 Roger and Terri 42
Pandrangi Tower will open soon at Southwest Gen... Oct '14 Ivieivy 1
Wholesale Medical Marijuana supplier Oct '14 good stuff 1
Westlake Dating
Find my Match

Westlake People Search